I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Getting up to speed

HID Ballast location

Let me start by saying that I have searched every BMW site I can think of for the answer to this, but the posts I find just aren't clear. So here it is.

For those of you who have done the low-beam HID conversion, where did you mount the (slim) ballast and did it stay there? If you have photos, that would be great.

One person said he put everything inside the light assembly (the ballast and wires will slip inside through the right high-beam opening) but I really don't want to glue it in there in case it goes bad.

Thanks,

Mike
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
197? Yamaha 650 (Crashed/Sold)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Site Contributor

Re: HID Ballast location

Here is mine. It's the silver rectangle behind the 2 straps. It stayed there and worked fine. I just replaced it last week. I took the pic when I had the PCIII installed.

http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/showpho...=18397&cat=500
Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Just another troll

Here's mine.

Handy bolt right there at the front if you've got a good bracket.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Shooting the gap

I just did all 3 bulbs and my favorite spot was opposite the ram air. Here's how:
1) Take off the plastic on one side
2) Take of the ram air
3) you'll notice a rectangular opening with 6 nobbies made for zip ties.
4) zip tie your ballast there
5) you'll be able to zip tie the other module near the same location but underneath

Looks professional and out of site. I did my high beams in this location on either side. It was pretty easy once I figured out where to put them. The low beam was much trickier since I could find a 3rd spot. I ended up putting it under te GPS harness between the gas tank and the battery. It was a little bit of a stretch, but again looks very professional. I love having all 3 lights upgraded. Not only is is it super bright, but they also kook great together.
'04 K1200GT -- Went in for service and got a loaner K1200S. 'nough said
'07 K1200S -- Sold in OKC; I said I don't like city ridin'
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Sorry, no picture. I mounted mine to a piece of 1/4 " plexiglass and drilled a hole thru the top and bottom of the plexi. Then I zip tied it to the plastic mount on the other side of the bike's CPU. This would be inside the left portion of the fairing. It's out of the way and gets plenty of air to stay cool.
'04 BMW K1200RS....R.I.P.
'99 BMW R1100RT
'99 Buell Thunderbolt
'91 Honda CBR1000F
'85 Honda V65 Magna
'81 Honda CB650SC
'76 Honda MT 250
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I got the kit from DDM Tuning. I have tested it and it works fine with no CANBUS "LAMPF" warnings. However, this new kit (the ballast is slightly different then the one in the picture on their site) has slightly shorter wires. I tried allikanbe's placement but the wires won't reach. I may have to make a bracket like beemer1 or ssduc.

I did have one person tell me that they mounted the ballast to the shelf right behind the instrument cluster, below the windshield. It's easy to do but does not look as clean as the other solutions.

If anyone else has an idea, I'd love to here it.

Mike
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
I just did all 3 bulbs and my favorite spot was opposite the ram air. Here's how:
1) Take off the plastic on one side
2) Take of the ram air
3) you'll notice a rectangular opening with 6 nobbies made for zip ties.
4) zip tie your ballast there
5) you'll be able to zip tie the other module near the same location but underneath

Looks professional and out of site. I did my high beams in this location on either side. It was pretty easy once I figured out where to put them. The low beam was much trickier since I could find a 3rd spot. I ended up putting it under te GPS harness between the gas tank and the battery. It was a little bit of a stretch, but again looks very professional. I love having all 3 lights upgraded. Not only is is it super bright, but they also kook great together.

Dan,

How do you take off the Ram Air? I looked but could not figure it out.

Mike
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

I mounted (velcro) mine on the shelf above the dash and below the windscreen tucked in.

I figured it was wasted space and that the ballast wouldn't get in my way later. I had it here on my 05 KS for a couple years and now it's on my K13S. Just takes a couple minutes and I didn't have to remove any plastic. I did remove the windscreen just to make it easier.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDGRider
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I got the kit from DDM Tuning. I have tested it and it works fine with no CANBUS "LAMPF" warnings. However, this new kit (the ballast is slightly different then the one in the picture on their site) has slightly shorter wires. I tried allikanbe's placement but the wires won't reach. I may have to make a bracket like beemer1 or ssduc.

I did have one person tell me that they mounted the ballast to the shelf right behind the instrument cluster, below the windshield. It's easy to do but does not look as clean as the other solutions.

If anyone else has an idea, I'd love to here it.

Mike

I believe what you said, but it's odd they changed their wires. I got my current ballast from DDM last month. The wires just snaked down between all the other stuff on that side of the bike.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward
I mounted (velcro) mine on the shelf above the dash and below the windscreen tucked in.

I figured it was wasted space and that the ballast wouldn't get in my way later. I had it here on my 05 KS for a couple years and now it's on my K13S. Just takes a couple minutes and I didn't have to remove any plastic. I did remove the windscreen just to make it easier.

TWARD,

Thanks for the info and photo. right now I have a cigarette lighter adoptor setting up there that I use to connect my battery charger and GPS, so it would get a little crowded up there but it may be what I end up with.
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe
I believe what you said, but it's odd they changed their wires. I got my current ballast from DDM last month. The wires just snaked down between all the other stuff on that side of the bike.

allikanbe,

The ballast I got does not have the pig-tail that the power wires plug into. They plug directly into a socket on the ballast. It makes the power line approx. three to four inches shorter. If your's is the same then I will look for the correct way to route the power line.
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
allikanbe,

The ballast I got does not have the pig-tail that the power wires plug into. They plug directly into a socket on the ballast. It makes the power line approx. three to four inches shorter. If your's is the same then I will look for the correct way to route the power line.

Mine looked like the one in this pic link. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit
Old 05-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Fast Thinker

Send a message via AIM to Corlock Send a message via MSN to Corlock Send a message via Yahoo to Corlock Send a message via Skype™ to Corlock

Quote:
Let me start by saying that I have searched every BMW site I can think of for the answer to this, but the posts I find just aren't clear. So here it is.

For those of you who have done the low-beam HID conversion, where did you mount the (slim) ballast and did it stay there? If you have photos, that would be great.

One person said he put everything inside the light assembly (the ballast and wires will slip inside through the right high-beam opening) but I really don't want to glue it in there in case it goes bad.

Thanks,

Mike

Mine is mounted right on top of the airbox cover. fits perfect there and the lines run along the inside harness . cant even tell.
===============================
2013 K1300S anniversary edition "Special K"...Currently modding as usual. (current as of March 2018)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Mine looked like the one in this pic link. http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit

When I called DDM to tell them that mine didn't look like that, they said that they hadn't updated the photo yet. I wonder where I can find a four inch extension.
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corlock
Mine is mounted right on top of the airbox cover. fits perfect there and the lines run along the inside harness . cant even tell.

I wonder if that would work on a K1200S?
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Dan,

How do you take off the Ram Air? I looked but could not figure it out.

Mike

It's super easy... Where the tub connects to the intake air box you'll find an upper and lower black plastic clip. You just pinch the end together and pop it out. The ram air tube slides right off. The clip is about 3/4 of and inch wide and 4" long. I'd send a photo but I've had the bike torn down for a couple of weeks and am so glad to finally have it all back together.
'13 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail -- Wife says it's hers, I'm just the driver
'15 K1300S -- Wife said I needed my bike again, and some how I got to keep the Harley
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
When I called DDM to tell them that mine didn't look like that, they said that they hadn't updated the photo yet. I wonder where I can find a four inch extension.

I don't think I would get an extension for a HID. Better to find a closer location.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Success!

First, thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.

I ended up mounting the ballast on the computer where allikanbe mounted his. But in order to make the wires reach I had to remove the air intake tube (ram air) as dlestina suggested. This also gave me a place to mount the ignighter. If I was going to do this job again it would probablly take me about an hour and a half with the removing and reinstalling the panels.

Thanks again,

Mike
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Shooting the gap

That's great! I was prepared to take off one panel tomorrow and take a couple of photos for you. Glad you got it!

This morning my rear tire was flat Now, I'm going to venture off to find the right tools to remove the wheel and take it to the dealer. I assume I need a device that slips in the hub to support the bike and raise the wheel off the ground. I also suppose I'll need some special torque wrench and bit to get those BMW-style lugs off. I needed a new tire soon anyway, now I get to learn some new skills as well.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlestina
That's great! I was prepared to take off one panel tomorrow and take a couple of photos for you. Glad you got it!

This morning my rear tire was flat Now, I'm going to venture off to find the right tools to remove the wheel and take it to the dealer. I assume I need a device that slips in the hub to support the bike and raise the wheel off the ground. I also suppose I'll need some special torque wrench and bit to get those BMW-style lugs off. I needed a new tire soon anyway, now I get to learn some new skills as well.

That does not sound like fun.

Thanks for you help.

Mike
1978 Honda CB750K (Sold)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I don't think I would get an extension for a HID. Better to find a closer location.

Agreed there is a good amount of current going through those wires. Might as well not have 1 other thing that could go wrong.

Last edited by Rick : 11-18-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Getting up to speed

We have a few appointments to shoot the video for R1200RT and next we would like to get the K1200S. If someone already has our kit installed and would like a weekend project for a rebate let me know.

Sincerely,

Spencer Tibbs
Old 11-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Inside the light assembly. No drilling and water tight.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loeborg
Inside the light assembly. No drilling and water tight.
I was looking at doing that. Have you had any problems with it installed there? I wonder about the ballast heating up and causing failure.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

nearly 4 years and no problems at all. Nothing melted and ballast and bulb are fine. Looks 100% factory and if the seal is good enough for OEM, it's good enough for me.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Entering the on-ramp

***I recommend reading this whole post before you start, so you can hopefully learn from my mistakes.

Just installed my ETI HID from Pirate's Lair inside the back of the headlight housing.
Getting the parts inside the back of the housing was a real pain. If any of the parts were slightly bigger, they probably wouldn't fit. Tools used included a small set of pliers and a nearby pencil to assist with placing the ballast. If you have short and/or fat fingers, this installation will probably be difficult for you (just sayin').

Rationale:
This method was worth the effort to avoid cutting/drilling or removing any body work. The HID bulb also fit in the stock housing without any modification to the bulb wiring harness, as suggested with the installation method above (probably because it is a different HID model). Inside the housing isn't the prettiest, but outside looks stock, and it saves room for other farkles in the few open niches on the K1200S.

Installation:
There didn't appear to be enough room for ballast entry under the low beam due to the shape of the housing, and the clutch side high beam has some sort of plug beneath it obscuring entry. The throttle side high beam has the most space between the cap and the headlight housing, and so it was used.
1. Remove the throttle side high beam and low beam caps, plugs, and headlights. Move all parts out of the way to maximize space.
2. Remove the rubber grommet on the HID. You won't need it and it just gets in the way.
3. Slide the ballast (velcro attached) and 2nd module through the throttle side high beam opening. This will be a long struggle. Just get it started and don't attach it to anything yet once you get it through the opening.
4. Fish the bulb wires through the low beam opening to the high beam opening.
5. Plug connections were made as entry proceeded, because there isn't enough room to make connections after everything is inside the housing.
6. Test the lighting to make sure it works after all connections are made and before securing anything. This is important because you don't want to have to undo any of this.
7. The ballast was secured underneath the low beam on the flat shelf using the pliers and the pencil.
8. Fight with the second module, and hope it lands somewhere secure. This is difficult because the plug and wire that lead to the 2nd module are very thick, and don't want to go in very easily.

Results/Discussion:

In hindsight, I should have tried to push the ballast further towards the clutch side because this made it tough getting the 2nd module in due to the thickness of the wires on the big connector. However, this was limited due to the need to make wiring connections before insertion. Its too late to move the ballast now, since it would probably take me an hour just to get it out, much less re-install it. As a result, the 2nd module is floating above the throttle side high beam, suspended on a pillow of wires and the big connector against the headlight housing. It won't be going anywhere. It has enough cushion that it does not make contact with the housing when it vibrates, so it should be protected in that regard. I don't hear it rattling around when I ride over bumpy stuff.

We'll see what happens. I hand checked the temperature of the ballast and second module after a 2 hour ride yesterday. They weren't even warm and were still in place. The light looks great, but I won't know until I ride with it at night.
I would have taken pictures, but they probably wouldn't turn out well because it is really cramped in there. I can barely see in there, much less take pictures of it.

I spent about an hour with actual installation. The majority of time was spent walking around the bike to get a good angle on inserting the ballast, which actually came from standing in front of the bike hanging over it. Doing it over again would probably take about 30 minutes. Someone who is organized could probably do it in 15.

Hope this helps someone else! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

That's what she said!

A recent study found the average Canadian walks about 900 miles a year. Another study found Canadians drink, on average, 22 gallons of beer a year. That means, on average, Canadians get about 41 miles to the gallon. Kind of makes you proud to be Canadian, doesn't it??!!

1972 Honda 450 SL
1976 Honda 750 F
1976 Yamaha XS 650
1978 Honda 125 CL
1982 Suzuki GS 1100
2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2009 Aprilia RS 125
2010 BMW K 1300 S
2017 BMW S1000RR
Old 12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Getting up to speed

We have some HID installation videos on our youtube page. Even if they aren't for your specific bike it still might help to take a quick look over them. Most all installations are very similar with only a few minor adjustments with ballast placement.

This is a link to the R1200GS installation video: Here

Hope this helps to answer some of these questions. If anyone ever has any questions about installing the lights you can call us during our office hours: 10am-5pm PT M-F
(888) 225-6418.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:34 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Sorry to rehash an old thread, but had a question. Just purchase the HID kit from Pirates Lair, great customer service BTW. I am going to mount the low beam first will add the other two high beams later.

So I want to mount outside the light housing, in/under the faring. Which side is better right/throttle or left/clutch side and why.

Thank you
Old 07-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Shooting the gap

Mine is mounted on the frame on the right side with velcro. The fairing covers it nicely.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you,
Old 07-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Put into the light housing, tight but worked fine. Nice light..