I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-06-2016, 10:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

BMW Representative/Complaints Dept?

I have a simple question....Does BMW have representatives who handle concerns/complaints regarding BMW motorcycles? This Sunday (11/06/16) my brakes went out again and I am really wanting some resolution to this problem. This time I nearly lost control of my ride(K1200S) and was fortunate enough that it happened on a portion of the road that had some actual runoff room on the shoulder. I am in Little Rock, AR and the closest dealer is in Bentonville, AR. Any advice would be welcome. I was so hoping to have been one of the ones to dodge the Servo problem, but alas, this is not to be the case. I only have 5800 miles on this motorcycle and bought it in March with only 4300 miles on it. Today's ride was around 160 miles and the brakes went south about 30 miles from home.

With the key "On" the servo system is quite loud when brake lever is applied at a stop. The difference this time from the last is that when I pulled into my garage and turned the bike off, but left the key "On", is that the servo system was still whining without me touching the brake levers.

https://youtu.be/R94vxrMKshM
Old 11-07-2016, 12:06 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,752 Times in 2,793 Posts

Re: BMW Representative/Complaints Dept?

Scottie, I can only imagine that BMW has not responded to the brake servo issue in any meaningful way is because it hasn't been forced to. I would suggest that you send an e-mail to the CEO of BMW of North America, Ludwig Willisch, ludwig.willisch@bmwna.com - and rather than frame your contact in angry terms, but in terms of how your safety and the safety of thousands of others who relied upon the BMW reputation in buying their motorcycles has been, and continues to be threatened by brakes that can fail without warning.

I expect that will get some response - let us know.

Last edited by CJS350 : 11-09-2016 at 08:19 AM.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 11-07-2016, 07:32 PM
Entering the on-ramp

CJS350...Thank you for your reply. I have been a rider since I was a kid (48 now) and have ridden/owned many different brands. I have never experienced a brake failure before. Had I been an inexperienced rider I would have most certainly crashed on the road I was riding. Frustrating because the bike runs great, but now I won't trust it and I certainly can not afford a huge repair bill if all the values I have seen reflect reality. I'm a rider and this is such a beautiful time of the year to ride here in Arkansas and I am just a bit let down.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:58 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,752 Times in 2,793 Posts

For reasons that seem to defy explanation, BMW decided to "enhance" certain of their motorcyle lines with servo assist ABS brakes, thus answering a question no one asked. The system was introduced, in the US, with the '02 K1200RS, and I believe the LT of the same year. It continued through the 2006 K1200S and GT, and maybe LT, lines.

The servo motors in these bikes are a well known trouble spot. It truly sucks that BMW has not stepped up to the plate and corrected this defect. Ironically there seem to be few complaints filed with the National Highway Safety Foundation recall program. Couple of links here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...rod_ids=216900

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecallProcess

If you do a search in this site's K1200S tech forum you'll find at least 1 successful do it your self repair thread regarding the ABS unit.

The '02 - '04 (US models) RS/GT line offered a different component than did the K1200S models introduced in '05 and continued into '06.

The servo assist was dropped after that.

I believe that Module Master in Idaho https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/ will either repair your ABS unit, or exchange it for a rebuilt model for around $500, and their work has been well received. They still don't offer a repair for the earlier "Brick" motor bikes
Old 11-08-2016, 05:37 AM
Site Contributor

The brake switch is either faulty, or not properly adjusted.

The stealership has (or in my case, i have) the INPA diagnostic software where you can test the switch triggerpoint/pressure in the module.

To give you an idea on where the switch is supposed to "click",
use your index finger and slightly pull on the lever. It should click, pretty much instantly.....not more then 2 mm (1/16). (2005-2006 k1200s/r with integral abs)

If you have a 2006 onwards k1200 its the rear brake pedal only (the partial integral ABS is not activated by the front levers)
Same deal though.... Not more then 2-3mm travel.

I would suspect that one of the switches is dirty, most likely the rear brake switch....
Old 11-08-2016, 05:48 AM
Site Contributor

Or.... The servo is slowly on its way out. $$$$
Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,420 Posts

Contact info in link below.

BMW Motorrad USA Customer Service
Old 11-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank all of you for the suggestions/links. Here is a copy of my complaint to Safecar.gov:

"On Sunday November 6th I was riding my 2005 BMW K1200S on a roundtrip from Little Rock, AR to Petit Jean Mountain State Park. Approximately 20 miles from home on HWY 300 near the Little Italy township I experienced complete brake/ABS failure while trail braking through a turn. This is a road with several steep and tight hairpin turns and very limited/non-existent runoff room. I ran wide on the next corner and ended up crossing the double yellow and was nearly hit by an oncoming car. Fortunately I was able to use the gearbox to downshift and used engine braking to slow my motorcycle down to a safe (already below the speed limit) speed. I pulled over once I came to a short straight section of HWY 300 that had a shoulder. I turned my motorcycle off and turned it back on, but braking power was not restored. I called a close friend to bring a trailer and we towed my motorcycle back to my garage. I have been a rider for 30 years and have owned many types/brands of motorcycles. This is the first time I have EVER lost braking power on any motorcycle. This is unsafe and unacceptable. It is also a shame because this is a high-performance motorcycle saddled with an incredibly unsafe braking/ABS system. I could not in good conscience sell this motorcycle to someone else at this point with this design flaw in the braking system. I should note that my 2005 BMW K1200S was bought at a BMW motorcycle dealer in Bentonville, AR in March, 2016. The motorcycle had 4,300 miles on it when I bought it. It was sold originally/serviced by the same dealer. The motorcycle currently has a total of 5,800 miles on it. I have included below a picture of the motorcycle in the condition I bought it back in March, 2016. As you can see this was/is not an abused motorcycle. I fail to understand why BMW Motorrad USA has not instituted some sort of recall/buy-back program for these motorcycles."
Old 11-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I read this stuff and it really starts to scare the hell out of me! Even tho I have not had a single issue with mine, but just knowing in the back of my head there could be an issue the next time I hit the brakes! I really enjoy my bike, but reading stuff like this really discourages me, maybe I read more into this than I should. I'm still amazed that this design flaw even passed federal safety regulations if the pump were to fail during use. This makes me want to just get rid of my bike and buy something else. It's such a shame that like everyone has said that BMW hasn't stepped up to the plate to rectify this known problem. It's not like they can't afford it!!
Old 11-09-2016, 06:54 AM
Getting up to speed

Have a 2006 K1200S and had been aware of this problem but have dodged the bullet.....so far.

But Scottie's experience now has me worried as well. Sounds like it's just a matter of "when."

Checked on the Modulemaster website and they state that their "fix" is still under development. Evidently not yet ready for prime time.

What other alternatives are out there.??
Old 11-09-2016, 09:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Tonight I went out to the garage and started her up and rode around the block. The brakes were back. I rode maybe 5 miles total and not far from my apartment the brakes went out again. Not even residual braking, just that friction braking you get when you first start up the bike and when you are rolling around before moving to get the brake light to go out. So, she is parked for good now. I am waiting on a reply from BMW before I take the time and money to haul this bike from Little Rock to Bentonville. If BMW will not take care of this I may just sell this bike for parts or sell it complete as a parts bike.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Spoke with a BMW Motorrad representative on the phone today. I expressed my feelings that brake failure was not acceptable, at all. It will be a few weeks before I have time to actually take the bike back to Bentonville in NWA. He kept repeating that there were no active recalls for my bike and that the warranty had been expired since 2008. But, I will go through the expense of hauling it up there just to see where this goes.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

A video of where it all nearly went down...

https://youtu.be/sLksHacmIKs
Old 11-14-2016, 06:39 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

This is by far the most dangerous problem you can have with any bike ,never mind a missle like these bikes.this is the exact reason I sold mine.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Can you tell me what years of the K1200S had the servo brake system? Thanks I have just bought a 2008 and had thought that it did not have that system. Hope I was not wrong.

Buffalobob
Old 03-15-2017, 03:47 AM
Twisted Wrister

Bob - Switch on ignition without starting the motor and use the front brake; if your bike has the servo fitted, it will be obvious from the slight whining noise.

I ran my 2005 K1200S (with servo) for many years and 30,000 miles with no braking issues, but I suppose it could have failed in an instant if faulty. My tech always reckoned that he could bypass the servo (and ABS) if that became necessary.

The brakes on my (new to me) K1300S are very good but don't have the absolute power of the old servo-assisted system, and it takes a bit more of a squeeze to get the best out of the brakes.
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Shooting the gap

As far as I remember 05 and 06 had the servo, 07 on wards did not. My 08 definitely did not have servo brakes.

2010 Lava Orange and Carbon K1300S - traded
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottieray
I have a simple question....Does BMW have representatives who handle concerns/complaints regarding BMW motorcycles?

In Canada, (BMW Motorrad Canada), try Andre Richard (Richard is pronounced the French way...."Rishard") at 1 815 4399. Andre is a helpful guy that has helped me in the past.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 03-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The 2008 models did not have the severo ystme. After I changed the attery out I did not have any further issues with my 2005 K1200S. Infact, I put over 1000 miles on her since I posted this originally. I recently sold this K1200S. It was actually hard for me to let her go because overall this is an awesome motorcycle. I bought a 2016 ZX-14R Special Edition recently (new) and can tell you that I will have to do some work on her to get her to the place that a 12 year old K1200S was at. And even though the K1200S was an 'old' ride...the build quality blows the 2016 ZX-14R off the map. So, if you are in the market for a K1200S, don't hesitate to snatch one up. Mine was literally showroom new and hopefully the new owner has a lot of fun on her. If I did not live in Arkansas with only one BMW dealer 3.5hrs away I would have kept the K12.