I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Getting up to speed

Hello, 1st time BMW Owner 2008 K1200s

Hello, i have a new to me '08 K1200s coming to me this week. I bought the bike from a dealer and it's being shipped to me so I've never seen it in person
I hope 1-this was not a mistake and it's all they said it is. 2. It's as good as the reviews I've read. 3- I don't have some of the issues that I have read about.
I have never had a sport touring bike only supersports my last being a '16 yamaha R1 which was a beast of a machine. So, this will be a different type of bike than I'm use to.

It has 20k on it which didn't seem bad for the age and tons of extra's according to them.

Anything to really pre-inspect before riding ? or be aware of?

Anyway I'm very excited to get it, I will report back once it's here and i've had a chance to ride it. It sure looks pretty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmw1200.jpg (260.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Seat.jpg (246.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 01:41 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,825 Times in 2,817 Posts

Re: Hello, 1st time BMW Owner 2008 K1200s

Welcome to the site Morris and congrats on a great looking bike.

By '08 the k1200S was pretty well sorted (having been introduced in '05). You should ask the selling dealer to provide you with a service history on the bike, it can do so through the bike's VIN, there have been a few recalls and service bulletins. The critical ones are the timing chain "jump guard", and the gasoline flange on the tank (not sure if the '08's were subject to this one.) There may have been an air box, either a recall, or a service bulletin, I'm not sure.

If you look in the "tech" forum, you can read to your heart's desire, all of the threads on technical issues our members have dealt with, here's the link, http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

We'll look forward to hearing from you.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks I will ask them for it, as the told me the guy bought it new there and was always serviced there with them. That will be good information to have.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:12 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,033 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Welcome to the forum, Morris... that is a very clean looking K12S!! Having owned 3 R1s prior to my first BMW, I can tell you that it will feel much different, but in a good way. It will be slightly less of a monster, but no slouch by any means. With a wheelbase roughly 6" longer, it won't turn as quick, but there are ways to improve that aspect.

Whereas the R1 is totally unsuited for touring at any reasonable level of comfort, the KS is in its element for day long and multi-day rides, if that is your objective... that is why I made the switch and haven't looked back. I'll be interested in your feedback after you put some miles on that beauty...

To me, it is the best of all worlds...
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Kneedragger, that's what I wanted to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Welcome to the forum, Morris... that is a very clean looking K12S!! Having owned 3 R1s prior to my first BMW, I can tell you that it will feel much different, but in a good way. It will be slightly less of a monster, but no slouch by any means. With a wheelbase roughly 6" longer, it won't turn as quick, but there are ways to improve that aspect.

Whereas the R1 is totally unsuited for touring at any reasonable level of comfort, the KS is in its element for day long and multi-day rides, if that is your objective... that is why I made the switch and haven't looked back. I'll be interested in your feedback after you put some miles on that beauty...

To me, it is the best of all worlds...
Old 04-24-2017, 03:45 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,259 Times in 560 Posts

Morris

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your new K12.

You wanted a sport tourer and by god you have bought one of the best - I speak as the past owner of a 2006 K12, a 20012 K13 HP and, currently, a 2016 K13 MS.

Enjoy your new bike !
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 04-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Getting up to speed

Welcome to the board and congrats on the bike! You chose wisely with the '08 model year. Many of the problems with this bike were sorted by that model year. The ABS module was upgraded in '07 to the non-servo unit and I believe they already started undercutting the gear dogs on the transmission by that point (although I may be incorrect). The clutch basket had several iterations during the lifespan of the K1200S with many improvements being made by '08. There's a great clutch sticky in the K1300S tech section if you have any issues with the clutch.

It looks incredibly clean and has a lot of farkles already. As CJS mentioned earlier, the timing chain jump guard is likely the most important recall item to verify. The cam chain tensioner should already be upgraded as well - a quick forum search will help you identify which one you have.

This bike is the perfect compromise between sport riding and touring. While it isn't the quickest steering bike, it can hold it's own on most everything but the tightest twisties, then it will devour miles in relative comfort compared to most sport bikes.

Enjoy the ride!

Previous Bikes: 2003 R1100S, 2000 SV650
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jaredwilson' for this post:
Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Hello Morris. Welcome to the best forum on the planet. We look forward to your participation. I nearly bought the same bike you ie same paint scheme but bought an R instead. Kneedragger made good points. The S/Rs are slower in the tight stuff because of the long wheelbase but this causes exceptional stability in the faster sweepers. Run over potholes branches undulations in a corner and these amazing machines are unmoved. Certainly as has been suggested take you VIN to the dealer and ask them to check the recalls/updates. You will find this bike amazing!

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 AM
ZNAM
Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,429 Posts

Welcome Morris and congrats!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 04-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Welcome Morris, you'll love it. Plenty of power and 500 miles days are no big. It's more sport than tour compared to most sport tour bikes and knocks out a track day...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to '2moremiles' for this post:
Old 04-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Getting up to speed

UGH, The shipper is killing me. I went with him because he told me he would get it yesterday and deliver today, now he tells me it will be next week!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Welcome aboard Morris, have an 07 in the same colour, they are a fine motorcycle.

Will be most surprised, if you don't get too like it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,077 Times in 800 Posts

Stunning bike!! That's my favorite color of the K12S series... All the farkles are just icing on the cake... Looks like a Laser shortie exhaust... You can't even get those any more.. and the custom seat.. Sweet!!

Welcome to the group..
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 04-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,428 Times in 3,150 Posts

Morris:

Welcome to the site. The K1200S is an awesome bike different than the R1 for sure but absolutely no disappointments.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM
Entering the on-ramp

saw this bike online the other day......congrats on your purchase.... Im in contract on a 07 S.....and also had an R1 along with many others.....so Im transitioning too.. Im hesitant about the linked brake system because of how i have always ridden......which might result in my canceling.......and looking at other bikes. I really like the S bikes though.....hate hayabusas.....GSXRs just like R1s..... love v twins and V 4s.......but the S seemed to be a true gentlemans' sport bike/tourer..... Not really many options!

Enjoy it......Disconnecting the ABS might be a consideration though.......Ive heard a few ugly stories about the system unloading the braking effort during hard braking:......NOT GOOD!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks, really wondering if I'm ever going to get it, this shipper is horrible keeps changing the date of delivery on me. I'm very pissed off already a week late. That's the 1st I've heard about the linked braking what does that mean? kind of scary if that's true of the system unloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsduc
saw this bike online the other day......congrats on your purchase.... Im in contract on a 07 S.....and also had an R1 along with many others.....so Im transitioning too.. Im hesitant about the linked brake system because of how i have always ridden......which might result in my canceling.......and looking at other bikes. I really like the S bikes though.....hate hayabusas.....GSXRs just like R1s..... love v twins and V 4s.......but the S seemed to be a true gentlemans' sport bike/tourer..... Not really many options!

Enjoy it......Disconnecting the ABS might be a consideration though.......Ive heard a few ugly stories about the system unloading the braking effort during hard braking:......NOT GOOD!
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '03 Triumph Daytona 959
OUT '98 Triumph Daytona 959 T595
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Shooting the gap

Welcome Morris! If you can cancel your mover there's Federal Movers and they have a good reputation (http://www.funtransport.com/).
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Getting up to speed

thanks, he said last night he was picking it up today. But of course after
Having beautiful weather last few days it starts
Raining tomorrow, oh well weekend looks great.
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-03-2017, 10:42 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr8
Thanks, really wondering if I'm ever going to get it, this shipper is horrible keeps changing the date of delivery on me. I'm very pissed off already a week late. That's the 1st I've heard about the linked braking what does that mean? kind of scary if that's true of the system unloading
Welcome aboard Morris & congrats on the new KS!

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the ABS/linked brake feature on your new K bike. It's never been an issue for me other than the ABS module itself crapping out. If you ever have to grab a handful of brake, you'll be quite satisfied... very good & well mannered stopping power! And I agree with others who have commented on the 08's being pretty well sorted out after the previous years models.

Despite the tardy delivery of your bike by the shipping company, rest assured, you'll be happier than a pig in shit once you take a ride! I just returned from a ~2.3K mile trip & can assure you that there will be no disappointments. Plenty of power, comfortable for multi high mileage days & it's hyper-sport touring at its finest... it's a fantastic machine.

The only farkle left to get is a radar detector & then start making plans to join us at one of our rallies in that part of the country. Check them out here and see what you think.

Oh yeah... don't be a stranger!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 05-03-2017, 10:59 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks. It's coming with a radar detector, and several
Other goodies I've found out, quick shifter, power commander
Exhaust...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
Welcome aboard Morris & congrats on the new KS!

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the ABS/linked brake feature on your new K bike. It's never been an issue for me other than the ABS module itself crapping out. If you ever have to grab a handful of brake, you'll be quite satisfied... very good & well mannered stopping power! And I agree with others who have commented on the 08's being pretty well sorted out after the previous years models.

Despite the tardy delivery of your bike by the shipping company, rest assured, you'll be happier than a pig in shit once you take a ride! I just returned from a ~2.3K mile trip & can assure you that there will be no disappointments. Plenty of power, comfortable for multi high mileage days & it's hyper-sport touring at its finest... it's a fantastic machine.

The only farkle left to get is a radar detector & then start making plans to join us at one of our rallies in that part of the country. Check them out here and see what you think.

Oh yeah... don't be a stranger!
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R
Old 05-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Finally after being more than a week late the shipper is headed this way. Will finally get to see it tonight then ride it tomorrow.
OUT '14 Suzuki GSXR1000
OUT '09 Yamaha R1
OUT '03 Suzuki GSXR750
OUT '98 Kawasaki ZX9R