I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Do You Carry a Puncture Repair Kit ?

On the way to Philip Island Superbikes my riding buddy pulled off the road in a hurry due to a rapidly deflating rear tyre.

He got off the bike & said "what'll I do now "

I replied " get out your repair kit"

Looking very sheepish now he said " yeah, but it's at home "

So I said "well looks like you're screwed dude".

I let him stew for a minute then mentioned that I had mine with me.

The look of relief on the Aprilia riders face was priceless.

So, do you carry a kit ? I've had a few flats over the years, including a front that I fixed with a Finilec. I use plugs now or even the thread type. Not the first time I've repaired someone else's punctures either. I don't go anywhere without a kit now.
15 K1300 R
58 Tiger 110 (fast)
66 Bonneville (faster)
75 Trident (fastest)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rev' for this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,429 Posts

Re: Do You Carry a Puncture Repair Kit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
So, do you carry a kit ?
Always, don't let a flat tire ruin your day.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Yeah, I carry a puncture repair kit, compressor and have an auxiliary power outlet with a 15amp fuse, and will carry the rope type repair kit as well in future. Without it on the recent Australian rally I would have been screwed, some help, more repair supplies and patience from my fellow riders also got me through.
I think a repair kit, compressor and auxiliary power outlet will have to be mandatory at the next rally for everybody. Here are my posts and pics from the ordeal with the flat tyre saga.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
How good are these K1300's!!!! , without a Centre stand and the right gear I would have been stuffed.
Any other bike without tyre pressure warning probably would have had me screwed, red triangle came on in the dirt section with uncle fester, pressure dropped quickly, but gave me time to hurry past uncle fester and wave him down before the tyre was completely flat. Managed to get off the bike at around 10PSI left , on the Centre stand, and worked out the tyre repair system with the black mushroom plugs that I had never used before, with the help of uncle fester we nutted it out, I had my compressor with my auxiliary hard wired ( and fused) power outlet, so all was good. Repaired and inflated to 31, it lasted 500 meters or so and we down again, we were still on the dirt road, repair again and go, made it another 1km, stopped and repair again, uncle fester went on ahead to see how much more dirt road we had, we figured the bouncing around, and the fact that the tyre wasn't getting a chance to heat up, probably was not letting the repair job bond and seal properly, report was 2km or dirt left, so repair again and rode it pretty fast along the dirt again, just made it onto the tar and I was hitting 10psi. Repaired again and set off , seemed to hold pressure, actually gained 1 point so that was enough for me, gradually rode it faster and it was good for 140km/h. So all good. The plan if I couldn't get the tyre fixed was to go back to the hippie camp for the night, or do some camping right there in the side of the road. But it was all good, uncle fester was great, he's saying "mate, we will just keep stopping and fixing it" I appreciated the positive support.
Here's some pics, it's 6:30Am and I better pack for today.
And without all the right gear on board I would have been fkt.

Quote:
We must have stopped another 4 times to fix my tyre, but we did make it to bright. 30km to myrtleford from bright in the morning and the motorbike shop happened to have 2 tyres in the right size for me and mogs(worn tyre out).

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,816 Times in 1,070 Posts

Yes, I've only needed it once so far.
Took a few pictures, but I'll spare your bandwidth.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Yeah, I carry a puncture repair kit, compressor and have an auxiliary power outlet with a 15amp fuse, and will carry the rope type repair kit as well in future. Without it on the recent Australian rally I would have been screwed, some help, more repair supplies and patience from my fellow riders also got me through.
I think a repair kit, compressor and auxiliary power outlet will have to be mandatory at the next rally for everybody. Here are my posts and pics from the ordeal with the flat tyre saga.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Great pics there KiwiMat. I like your compressor. I saw one at the PI track trade display for $85 ? The CO 2 bottles are getting expensive at around $5-$6 each although still priceless when stuck in the middle of nowhere. The centre stand is a worthwhile consideration, should be standard fitment on this bike.
15 K1300 R
58 Tiger 110 (fast)
66 Bonneville (faster)
75 Trident (fastest)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rev' for this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev
Great pics there KiwiMat. I like your compressor. I saw one at the PI track trade display for $85 ? The CO 2 bottles are getting expensive at around $5-$6 each although still priceless when stuck in the middle of nowhere. The centre stand is a worthwhile consideration, should be standard fitment on this bike.

Cheers mate, I'm sure the compressor was less than $85. We tried one CO2 bottle and gained about 7-8psi out of it, no way CO2 bottles would have saved me. Centrestand also saved a lot of pissing around.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,428 Times in 3,150 Posts

I have one as well - compressor - Stop&Go Tire Plugger kit - and regular string tire plugs (which in my opinion are better than the mushroom plugs that come with the Stop&Go).

I have used the mushroom plugs and made it back home - lost a few psi on the way.

Also have used the string plugs and they never lost any air.

Either way I only plug the tire to get me home or to a tire dealer to replace the tire - I don't ride on plugged or patched tires.

There has been many threads about tire repair and many riders do ride with patched/plugged tires until the tire is worn out - and have reported no issues in doing so - which I'm happy for them.

This rider is not doing it - tires are cheap - crashes not so much.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Twisted Wrister

I carry a kit and a pump. My kit has rubber plugs, strings, and glue. Also, don't forget the schrader converter for our bicycle friends. They give you a strange look when you ask if they need a hand in the middle of nowhere

They are usually self sufficient, but sometimes run out of glue.

Ride Fast.....Get there before the Accident!
Old 03-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Getting up to speed

Just on longer trips (more than one day).
Top Block Engine Protection + Peco Clutch, Fork and Cardan Crashpads
Rizoma 4D Aspheric Mirros
Wolf Oil Coller Guard
Hornig Sidestand Foot Enlargement Plate
Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,825 Times in 2,817 Posts

I always carry both a tire repair kit, and a small compressor, both fit neatly in my tank bag. The repair kit is from here, (I remove the tube repair accessories) https://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-2...epair-kit.aspx

and this small compressor I picked up from Pep Boys for about $20, http://slime.com/226/products/power-sport-40001/

both have worked in the field sufficiently to get me home.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:26 PM
2013 Member of the Year

The kit and a small compressor reside under the front seat of my K1200GT.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 03-12-2016, 05:44 AM
Twisted Wrister

My repair set has a couple of CO2 capsules, glue, T-handle and repair string. I have no room for a compressor. Split in two parts the set can be stored left and right under the saddle.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I have had several flats over the years. When I had airheads, I carried a patch kit as well as a spare tube. My /5 came with a hand pump that worked and mounted under the seat.

Recent bikes are all tubeless. I now have both plugs and sticky strings, a compressor and CO2 cartridges. These have been effective with one exception.

I bought a used K1200RS. Had a flat due to a worn out fill plug...the inner core simply separated. If you took the plug cap off, the spring guts would simply come out.

Reminded me to replace tire plug more frequently.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:07 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Yeah , the kit that came with the bike(R1150RT). Haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Only had two problems so far. One coming back from a 3000km ride to the Gulf country in OZ and had a big "bubble" in the front tyre where the tread separated. Had to call the local bike shop to pick me up(about an hour away from home , lucky).
Next one was about a year later, rear tyre deflated on way home from work, called same bike shop and got picked up. Tyre valve failed, but they said the tyre was damaged so needed new one. Took nearly a week to get it too!
So I still haven't had to use the kit and hope I don't.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:23 AM
Getting up to speed

I had a front tubeless valve fail once on my bike & once on my car. They should be renewed every so often ( maybe every third tyre) but mostly are not unless you specifically ask & pay for a new one.

The front tubeless valve on my old Busa failed rather suddenly & I lost most of the pressure & bike control going into a sweeper with a truck coming the other way, it just wanted to keep tracking straight across the apex into the truck. I managed to rear brake, roll off & crank it over while wrenching the bars around and got through the corner by the skin of my teeth. All seemed to happen automatically LOL. So yeah, leaking tubeless valves could get you killed & need to be considered when changing tyres.
15 K1300 R
58 Tiger 110 (fast)
66 Bonneville (faster)
75 Trident (fastest)
Old 03-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

Just bought a pump as a result of this thread. Bought a motopump, Canbus compatible. After a valve stem issue once I keep a couple of spare valves and the tool with me as well.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Site Contributor

i just carry a tyre repair aerosol it gets you home or to a tyre shop
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

On my spoked machines I've even been known to carry tubes on my longer trips,flats suck immensely.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Twisted Wrister

After a similar thread a year ago I bought a Stop-n-Go kit and then added some strings to it for good measure. It lives in the tank bag, right under the radar detector.

Like others, the only time I've had a flat on the road was when a valve core suddenly decided to leak air. I need to pick up a spare and stick that in the kit.

I have a centerstand on my K1300s, though I almost never use it, unlike my old K100RS where I used it religiously (partly to fill the gas tank, and partly to avoid the oil smoke on startup, and a little to avoid the side stand sinking into hot asphalt.)
Old 03-13-2016, 03:56 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

I've had lousy results with the Stop-n-Go mushrooms. Never had a problem with the strings unless the hole was more of a rip or cut. I also carry the Best Rest pump.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:43 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

My first i-BMW rally (DGR '06) included a flat tire episode with none other than PeteTallahassee, and the Stop-n-Go plug kit I carried worked like I hoped it would...the only issue being the number of CO2 cartridges needed to inflate to useful pressure, we used all of mine and Pete's inventory.

I carry the same kit, and have repaired a few more of my own and a few stranded strangers' flats.

Thanks again, Pete

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,003 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
I've had lousy results with the Stop-n-Go mushrooms. Never had a problem with the strings unless the hole was more of a rip or cut. I also carry the Best Rest pump.

There's a couple of guys on the 1600 forum that did a lot of testing and research on different tubeless tire repair kits and the consensus seemed to be around the Safety Seal plugs. Apparently, they are designed to vulcanize to the tire for a more secure and permanent fix (not that I'm advocating riding a plugged tire to the end of it's life). I've been carrying a Stop N Go kit and a CyclePump for several years and (I can't believe I'm saying this) have never used it.

There's a great thread here:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...ire-plugs.html
Old 03-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
Never had a problem with the strings unless the hole was more of a rip or cut.

This was the problem with Kiwimat's. Mushroom sort of worked, one rope, sort of worked, two ropes, sort of worked. In the end, 3 ropes took us the distance to have the tyre replaced.

We figured, because it was a stone/rock damage, it was more of a tear, than a hole.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 PM
Shooting the gap

well

2 puncture kits

2 gps s

2 mobile phones

2 Twin chargers (android,apple,notepad so on)

1 electric small air compressor
Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,104 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Always, don't let a flat tire ruin your day.

And a compressor too!

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,935 Times in 1,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
And a compressor too!
Yup, got that too!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
This was the problem with Kiwimat's. Mushroom sort of worked, one rope, sort of worked, two ropes, sort of worked. In the end, 3 ropes took us the distance to have the tyre replaced.

We figured, because it was a stone/rock damage, it was more of a tear, than a hole.

Yep, and looking back on it, that last mushroom plug, ( the 4th attempt by the time we got off the dirt section) still did before Delegate to Merimbula, and Merimbula almost to Bruthen, 350km+.
I am now in favour of the rope style, but will carry both, I'm sure a straight in nail hole would be perfect for a mushroom plug, but that's not how it ever happens.
Patience, help from some mates, the right gear and plenty of supplies between us got me about 700km on that damaged tyre!

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Thanked 2,252 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
This was the problem with Kiwimat's rear, it was more of a tear, than a hole.

Interesting

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R
Old 11-07-2017, 02:41 AM

Yes and also a pump.
One never knows when the stuff is useful

Thomas Sells
Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM
Shooting the gap

Can anyone comment on the best available small and inexpensive pumps?

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:57 AM
Site Contributor

Maaaaate, March next year, we should find a Pub with a snooker table, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to help you differentiate between the "pink & brown.....;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor350
Interesting
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 06:13 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,382 Posts

We used to just carry the Co2 and plugs, then we had a major issue on the way back from BRPR in 2009. If not for the Park Service breaking some rules on a cold and rainy day (and taking time out from their search and rescue training) and opening their maintenance shop we might still be there. Yes, they give tickets, but that's their job. Opening the shop on a Sunday was not their job. Thanks!

Then we got a GS and had more room. A small compressor will fit between the tail light and luggage rack. That, along with rope plug and TPM will allow one to ride to a more comfortable spot to repair the tire. Shade and a cold drink will beat the hot sun and dirt every time.

Then we traded the GS for a K1300S and lost the compressor. No problem, how often does one get a flat anyway? The Texas happened. 10:00 am on a Sunday morning in the middle of nowhere when the yellow triangle glowed brightly. Crap! There is no place to pull over, much less safely plug the tire on the side of the road. The gravel drops off sharply on both sides and the S isn't going to do well if we have to stop in this area. The numbers are falling rapidly, 37, 34, 31, CRAP! Then eureka! We top a hill and pass a motorcycle museum in the middle of nowhere open on a Sunday. A quick u-turn, the number drops to 27, and we're saved. They offer us their compressor!!!!!

Now we carry one of those tiny compressors in the side panel of the S. (yes, it will fit!) But given the choice I'd rather we just not have a flat.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Twisted Wrister

You bet..after two flats on my Alaska trip..I'm a firm believer of carrying several kits and compressor..
Old 11-07-2017, 06:23 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Yep nice thing on the XR it all fits under the seat stop n go compressor and string
Old 11-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,206 Times in 494 Posts

This is the one I carry

http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm

The Mini
06 KGT SOLD
01 KRS SOLD
99 KLT SOLD
2 Harley's moved on
3 Honda's moved on
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BillGsa' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,262 Times in 775 Posts

I carry a he same, I bought a used one at full price....offer and demand i guess 😏

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EricM' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,206 Times in 494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM
I carry a he same, I bought a used one at full price....offer and demand i guess 😏
That used one got you thru the DGR and back home
06 KGT SOLD
01 KRS SOLD
99 KLT SOLD
2 Harley's moved on
3 Honda's moved on
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BillGsa' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 07:53 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,262 Times in 775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGsa
That used one got you thru the DGR and back home

That it did

I am convinced you would sell it to me before I use it next time

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EricM' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Smile Re: Do You Carry a Puncture Repair Kit ?

Tools or a repair kit? Don't need no stinkin' tools. I ride with LEE!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81
Can anyone comment on the best available small and inexpensive pumps?

I have a "slime" compressor, purchased local many years ago.
Pretty sure, saw the attached link model at the Expo moto GP Philip Is one year, pretty small.

http://www.rockycreekdesigns.com.au/...tyre-pump.html

Slime compresor, may find it within Aust.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slime-40...AOSwB 09YEPz8
Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,825 Times in 2,817 Posts

I added these "strings" to my kit on Beech's recommendation, they, with the goo that comes with them, vulcanize and bond a puncture, and I can attest that they work, not only on M/C tires, but car tires too, having fixed two flats on my car with them recently, lots of construction around me

https://bestrestproducts.com/shop/cy...-kit-tubeless/

and now use this stuff in new tires when I mount them,

https://www.ride-onshop.com/Products-Motorcycles.html
Old 11-07-2017, 07:35 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,359 Times in 630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson
Tools or a repair kit? Don't need no stinkin' tools. I ride with LEE!
Do you carry spare calipers though, Tyson?

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

Old 11-07-2017, 07:40 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,359 Times in 630 Posts

I carry. But on the GS I also carry a tube. Rode home from New Mexico on a Sunday with a punctured sidewall after a friend put a tube in it(not even the right diameter). Made me a believer.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K1DUDE' for this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 11:32 PM

Do you carry spare calipers though, Tyson?

Damn, now that's a good idea. Brakes are not just a theory, they are a necessity! They work best with calipers attached.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson