I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Site Contributor

Re: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?

Since the K1300"R" is not offered in the U.S. I believe I would opt for the new water cooled GS1200 BMW.
I get the impression from it that it would be as good as a "Hooligan" as it is an "adventurer".

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Humm
Now that sounds really interesting. One reason I hate to get off my RS is because whatever the drawbacks are they all go away with one twist of the wrist. I rode a 1200 GS a few weeks ago that was lowered (I am 5'5" so the standard GS is out of the question for me). It was really nice but nowhere near the acceleration of the RS. But the 2013 liquid cooled GS I have not ridden … Just looked at a video of it and if I am not mistaken they said it has 125 H.P. WOW. That must be something on a bike that light…. Maybe there is some room to think Hooligan …… I like Hooligan….. Could really care less about off road but I want to do some more long touring and the RS is good but after 300 miles the forward lean is a bit tiresome even though I am in great condition at 68 years young. I like the more upright sitting of the GS I rode just wanted a bit more umph… It may be my dream bike…. with a lowering kit that is.
Thanks for your post. I really thought you were on drugs when you compared the 1300R with a GS…..
Drj
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'drjohn1800' for this post:
Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Getting up to speed

Absolutely... I had a GS, and tossed around a bit over what else I wanted... Finally decided on the K13S... And it's perfect.

I love the K13S, and it's my preferred ride, but I'm always happy to take the GS out as well. My wife prefers the GS 2up, and the two bikes give me the perfect choice of options for most situations.

(2013 696 Monster ...for the wife)
Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Getting up to speed

Will keep the RS until it can run no more, but if I were to buy today it'd be a Triumph Street Triple R. Screaming fun and an eye catcher to boot!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Getting up to speed

I'd like a K13S HP+ version - same bike with the best top-end accessories, all carbon, LCD dash, HP levers / rear-sets / forged wheels, choice of can, updated traction control, slightly tweaked styling.

This bike could be BMW's version of the 911, just keep refining.
Previous, '09 K1300S (LO), '09 K1300R SE (LO), '08 K12S, '05 K12S, '01 K12RS, '96 K75RT Ultima
Old 01-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeltown
I voted "NO" due to dealer/ BMW failure to admit faults and make repairs on over priced, poor running K1200gt's...

Your'e right but...
My 07 KGT costs me more to keep on the road than my 2 cars together, for a few months per year only

Breaks for any reason suddenly for whatever stupid reason and/or bad design

Is much heavier than my previous oilhead R

But, I still love the beast for its tremendous power and handling, actually much more than I can handle

So, YES, I would buy it again
Old 01-05-2014, 12:43 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
I'd like a K13S HP+ version - same bike with the best top-end accessories, all carbon, LCD dash, HP levers / rear-sets / forged wheels, choice of can, updated traction control, slightly tweaked styling.

#1! If we are lucky, that's what they'll do!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:56 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Thumbs up Re: If shopping today for a bike, would you still buy what you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesMan
Will keep the RS until it can run no more!

I will be keeping my K-12rs also Damn nice bike to ride
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8

If they did this the bank balance would look pretty sad i think.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Stick to Bikes, Keep your Racist.Political Stuff to yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohn1800
Although I was told that most of the membership of this forum are conservatives I don't appreciate seeing backhanded slights toward our president as part of a poll. It makes you look ignorant... This is a motorcycle forum. Save that stuff for the Klan meeting. When we ride as a group here in S.W. Louisiana we have 1 Rule.....NO POLITICS & NO RELIGION
Would be good to make it a rule here too.
Drjohn
Right on!

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Site Contributor

Never had any serious issues with the BMW s I've owned. So, hell yes I'll upgrade to another in a few years.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 AM
Getting up to speed

I said NO, but don't get me wrong, its a great bike just the wrong bike really for what I do. Using a K13GT for work is just too damn expensive, £3000 in tyres and servicing so far in 28 months.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Jesus saves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htheater
+1

My '07 KS has been awesome for me and I would buy it again in a heartbeat too!

I am glad to see others speak out as it gets depressing around here with the handful of constantly negative posters. To an outsider, they would think that the BMW K-series bikes are all a POS and, nothing could be further from the truth.....

OVERALL, the K-Series BMWs ROCK! There isn't another bike that I can think of that does what they do as well as they do, mile after mile AND smile after smile. THAT is what has created this community and made it so great....bikes that were truly as bad as some posters would have you think would never have been able to create what we have here.

So, yes, there have been some quirks, some problems and even some lemons, but, OVERALL, they are great bikes and bikes that I have a lot of passion for. I grow weary of the negative posts by some on here, especially when I can think back not that long ago and the same people were ecstatic over their bikes. Even now, when they get off of them they still look back and smile.

For me, there isn't another choice. Why? Because the "exotics" have ergos that don't fit with me and my riding style. They also have chains.

That leaves the Jap bikes. I have owned models from all of them and have ridden some in recent years. We all know that they make great bikes, but how many of them give you that feeling that owning and riding a K-bike does? Not many, if any....yes, to some people they do, but to those that have owned a K-bike, it is hard to go back. There is no substitute for that feeling and it is worth a few problems.

Also, go to the other bike forums. The ones that allow negative comments are filled with them.....the ones that don't have any are probably censored since you can't please everyone all the time....ALL bikes have some of their production that has issues and many have issues far more serious than ours.

At i-bmw, we don't censor the negative comments because we are realists and learn from them. We are about much more than the bike, but the bike is what brought us all together and has led to many friendships that will go far beyond us owning a certain brand or model. Keep that in mind when evaluating the real "owner experience".

So, HELL YES I would buy another and, I am damn glad that I bought my first one and got to know all of you....even those that are ALWAYS negative!

rant off!

Old 02-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I was in love with my K16GT before I finally got off to the hills of West Virginia this past weekend. Now I'm in a committed relationship. It's a comfy plush tourer for the 150 mile ride to the twisties and with the push of a few buttons all the technowhiz turns it in to a honest hot snot hooligan bike. I know that DTC saved my ass a couple of times on pea gravel in the exit. It's hard to believe it weighs 700 lbs. I'm thinking I'll be looking again at the '14 KGT whatever as I'll probably be pushing 30,000+ miles on it by the two year mark on the warranty.

My last quote in this thread was nearly two years ago and I need to revise it. After two years, I can see that I was a bit ambitious on the mileage I thought I'd ride - I'm right at 17,000 miles now due to some extensive travel over the last couple of summers that didn't include the bike. However, I'm still in a totally committed relationship with a bike that I still think borders on magical. BMW hasn't really changed anything from my '12 bike through the '14 model year except for paint and a few trim pieces so I'm keeping my current bike until BMW (or anyone else) pulls the next rabbit out of their hat.

Now, as a second bike, I'm waffling between a few choices. Right now my first choice is an S1000RR but I'm really intrigued by the S1000R and the Super Duke. I'm after a stupid level performance for a street bike that I use for track days. The only other bike I keep wondering about is the Multistrada - 150 ponies in a light weight multipurpose sporty touring bike with sexy Italian good looks - what's not to like?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 AM
... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbox
I said NO, but don't get me wrong, its a great bike just the wrong bike really for what I do. Using a K13GT for work is just too damn expensive, £3000 in tyres and servicing so far in 28 months.

Hi Timbox. I'm just trying to get my head around why yours is so expensive. How many kilometres in that 28 months?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heron163
I answered NO - the stalling thing on the K13S is really pissing me off...

I had a stalling problem on my 2012 K1300s and recently replaced the battery with a new Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and the problem is now solved.

2014 R1200gs LC - Maybe the perfect bike???
2012 K1300s - Bavarian ICBM
2005 R1200gs - sold, no regrets
2002 K1200rs - gone but not forgotten!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 PM

I would buy the new GSA. Great power, suspension, ride ability, ergos and range. A truly complete motorcycle.

2014 R1200gs LC - Maybe the perfect bike???
2012 K1300s - Bavarian ICBM
2005 R1200gs - sold, no regrets
2002 K1200rs - gone but not forgotten!
Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
Getting up to speed

No.......A whizzer motor for my 1951 Schwinn Phantom!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohn1800
Just back from the BMW Baton Rouge dealer with my 04 K12RS. I sat every bike in the shop and still like my RS… The new 1600 Big Boy is really low and I love that but its way too big in the butt for me. The 1600 Sport Tourer looks great but BMW went and screwed up again as far as I am concerned and made the seat too high. Should have kept the same seat as the BiG Guy. My RS has been dropped by me 4x virtually standing still or backing up. I'm 5'5" and I was getting frustrated and about ready to get a harley but then I had the bike lowered with Wilbers shocks and I can flat foot it. It rocks…. Every time I give it some gas I smile. Still a little too high and a little too much forward lean but I decided to learn how to ride better. Im 68 years young and in great shape. I've not seen anything that touches this bike for sport touring. BMW should go back to the drawing board and lower this bike more from the factory, beef up the electronics so you can run heated gear while the hand warmed are on too. Put in some new "sound" hookups for the the iPhone stuff. Be nice to see factory mounts included for gps and/or radar detectors. Come on BMW. Listen to the riders not the pros.
RS all the way.
drj
I agree 100% on seat height! I have dropped mine a few times all when stopped due to uneven ground and not having long enough legs to stop it going past the point of no return. Otherwise I love the bike, and could care less about radar detectors, gps, etc, as the former are not guaranteed to save you (and it's easy to lose your license over here) so easier to stick to the speed limit and not have to worry about anything except the line through the next corner. The latter (GPS) - I found too hard to see in bright daylight, so went back to a map. Best option is nothing - just go where the road takes you and find new roads to explore ( or dead ends ) nothing beats these bikes for sheer all round fun, 1 or 2 up day in day out. IMHO
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I'd probably get another 1200 GS. I love my GT for it's handling, power, comfort and turbine like smoothness... basically everything about it, however I've been kicking myself in the butt for trading off my GS ever since I did it. Something about that bike just grabbed me and has not let go yet.

On a side note, I'm also one of those owners whose never had a serious problem with any BMW I've owned. I've got over 200k easily on the various ones I've owned and they've all been good reliable bikes. Just lucky I guess...

'08 K 1200GT (riding)
'09 R 1200GS (missed)
'07 K 1200GT (traded)
'02 R 1150RT (sold)
'79 R 100 RT (lamented)
'85 K 100 RS (missed)
'02 Triumph Trophy (KIA)
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I would without doubt by a K1600 GT
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 AM
Site Contributor

After 8 years on my 02'RS I'd say yes...
Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM

I voted no. I have a '02 K1200RS that I absolutely love. Set up the way I like - OHlins and the like.

I've been doing a lot of long distance riding - and realized there are not all that many dealers around.
Two examples: Coming into Yarmouth NS, the bike went down and I broke a front brake lever. That night, I called using the Anonymous listing only to find the closest dealer was in Moncton New Brunswick - about five hours (one way) away. Stupid me, I figured a dealer would have a brake lever, and rode up. Silly me! A rather large dealership, but they still had to air-freight in the $150 lever (no not the entire master cylinder handlebar unit) the following day - back was three hours to catch up with the others. Three hours again the next day, but only 1.5 hours back. The capital city of Halifax isn't exactly a small town.

Coming out of Missouri, the rear brakes started making noise - pads. We pulled into Tulsa that night - largest town on this leg. Not a single BMW dealer in Tulsa, and no independents with brake pads. Had to limp into Oklahoma City the next AM. The next dealership was in Albuquerque.

My comfort level of getting parts and service is as thin as the dealership spread in the remote areas. The bike is well maintained, but not a spring chicken.

Love the bike. Was seriously considering a '14 R1200RT wasserboxer.

Also was considering an ST1300... More on the touring end of Sport Touring - which, in the rain, would be nice. The RS has a rather open cockpit in comparison. The Honda also has a larger tank (by nearly 2 gallons) AND gets about 10-12 more MPG than the RS. My friend's scoot with the Traxxas/Penske shock setup really transforms the bike. Considering I'm heading up to Ottawa, and then cross-Canada to Winnipeg, and then south to Sioux Falls, the tank capacity starts being a BIG concern. I had to go 50 miles out of my way in Nebraska to get gas - the next station on my route was unreachable with what I had. We won't even talk about how much gas the 1300 had at the time (grrr...) That was another reason I was looking at the new wasserboxer.

Such that it is.

frank
Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Yes.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 PM
Dive Buddy in Training

Send a message via Yahoo to sbk12rs

Next ?
Sherwood SR2
Sherwood Avid CQR3
2014 R1200 GS .... Gone
2010 R1200 GS .... Gone
2006 Honda VFR .... Gone
2001 K1200 RS .... I miss her so

Old 11-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

May be I was not so lucky with my bike. A 2001 K1200rs. The ride is o.k. , but the cost of maintenance is not o.k.

So compared with my old k100rs and my Ducati 750SSie the K1200RS is very expensive.

So I really can 't complain.

2001 K1200RS Blue
1999 Ducati 750 SSie Red
1986 K100RS White (working on)
1975 Suzuki T350 Rebel (up and running)
Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Born to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitc
May be I was not so lucky with my bike. A 2001 K1200rs. The ride is o.k. , but the cost of maintenance is not o.k.

So compared with my old k100rs and my Ducati 750SSie the K1200RS is very expensive.

So I really can 't complain.

You're lucky you don't have to maintain two 2007 K1200GT's.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Getting up to speed

Yes, I would.

But as my wife would say, "yes, that's exactly what I want--until I change my mind."
Old 12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Shooting the gap

Yes, to both.

The old R65 is really a great bike. Relativley simple, pretty easy to work on, great longevity, quick handling, big enough for some touring, and just plain fun.

The K1300S is really a beast. Gobs of power, good on the sport side but also a very capable tourer, stable, quick, and just plain fun.

k_enn
Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

No.The cost of ,ownership is very high.I don't think that the quality of my 2003 K1200RS is anything better then say FJR 1300 of the same year.I bought the bike used from a dealership and I almost got a heart attack for the almost $1000 maintenance bill (24000 mile service).Then two weeks later the fuel quick connect leaked on my leg $180 to fix. The slave cylinder leaked $1000.I only found these forums out after all this.The biggest kick in the nuts is when I was getting a quote for trade in the value it was down by half and even though I got stainless break line's put on.I had to get the final drive changed that I did myself after finding one on Ebay with 3,500 miles on.
By the way I am NOT Blaming the dealership.No one put a gun to my head to by the bike. But to compare cost of ownership to Japanese motorcycle's I think my IRA would be in better shape. I have the motorcycle paid off and I am going to keep it for as long as I can do most of the work on it.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Getting up to speed

One of the attractions for me was the relatively low used price for such a great bike.
I have done all the maintenance myself, even the rear seal, as it is just too expensive to go to a dealer. Jap bikes can be expensive to fix as well. My mate just spent over $4500 on his Yamaha FJ1000 after ignoring a "funny noise" which turned out to be a "loose" sprocket (caused by a worn bearing) which lunched the gearbox casing - ouch !
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Sometimes I think I would like something lighter just when having to move it around in the garage. I've been reading a lot about Triumph Street Triple and went to look at one today as we had 5 inches of snow and wasn't much else to do. It is a nice looking bike but every time I'm on the road with mine I say I'll never get rid of it.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Shooting the gap

I had a 2004GT with 4000 miles on it that was great. I had no problem with the bike .it was a good sport and touring bike. I think that was BMW at it best great bike and looks
Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

I originally posted back in 2009 when I owned my K1200S and voted yes.

Well I guess I really meant it - I have since bought two K1300S's and two S1000RR's.

Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have the option of buying another K1300S - I don't think BMW will be making it in a few years.

I'll see about buying another RR in 3 years - might need training wheels by then.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I can't they don't make the K12/13GT anymore, the R1200RS looks like the next choice

07 K1200GT CGM
00 Ducati 900 Monster
Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 PM
Entering the on-ramp

This is my first post since doing the intro so be gentle.i've been a Honda guy up to this year more specifically a ST 1300 loyalist. I purchased a 2014 RT 1200 in May and I will not go back to the Honda camp. This bike is the ultimate sport touring machine and I can ride for hours without having to use the trusty air hawk!!! I"ve heard servicing is pricy and any clothing or farkles with the BMW logo attached is just as costly as the HD dealership!!
Old 07-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Getting up to speed

The '05' brick motor K1200GT I have with 40k kms is the favourite in my small stable,,a recently acquired '06' R1200S with 45k kms and '12' Concours with 63 kms. The motor is silkier,the ride more comfortable ,the top gear accelaration superb,the servo linked brakes with ABS the best and safest,fuel consumption very good at 5 litres per 100 kms. I have not experienced any real downside problem (touch wood). Each bike has their merits,the Concour has an enviable trouble free high mileage history and the R1200S is a real fun bike.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:21 PM

No way in hell I'd buy another '07 K1200GT. They're garbage. My next bike will be a Harley Switchback or Moto Guzzi Norge.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Getting up to speed

Would I buy what I have again? For sure my hp2 and my K bike probably. My k has been good but I might stray for an engine configuration I haven't had yet. Richard.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:00 AM
Getting up to speed

In anticipation of my 70th birthday this August, I traded my 2011 R1200GS Triple Black for a 2015 K1300S Motorsport. It is apparently the end for that model so I imagine it will prove to be the best attempt ever for BMW at producing a shaft-drive near superbike. My insurance company's thoughts? They were not impressed, as indicated by a greater than 300% rate increase...YIKES! My bet is that maybe 10 of those bikes were sold to people my age in the last year or so...and 4 or more of the riders must have fallen off. (Remember people... you can grow OLD without growing UP...and be careful out there.)

Chuck V
Old 07-17-2015, 06:52 AM

What can I say.......hell yeah!!K
Old 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM
Twisted Wrister

TODAY - I'd still buy the same bike (which is a 2015 K1300s Motorsports Edition). In fact my shop still has a new one on the floor. Next year when they are no longer available I don't know, but I was in the shop this week, and the new R1200RS looks very appealing.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckV
I<snip>My insurance company's thoughts? They were not impressed, as indicated by a greater than 300% rate increase...YIKES! <snip>
Chuck V

It could be worse. My insurance went up from $250 per year to over $1,500 per year when I added the K1300S. I wish it was only a 300% increase.

k_enn
Old 07-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I love my K1200gt for 2 up touring and distance rides. But my next bike will be all electric. I have ridden several and have fallen for the Zero. As a commuter and get here to there bike, it's my favorite. I will keep my larger bike also. It is a great bike (except for the maintenance).
Current 2003 K1200GT
Old 07-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHaney
I love my K1200gt for 2 up touring and distance rides. But my next bike will be all electric. I have ridden several and have fallen for the Zero. As a commuter and get here to there bike, it's my favorite. I will keep my larger bike also. It is a great bike (except for the maintenance).

I recently contacted "Zero" about a demo ride. Their agent recommends me trying the "SR" being that a K1200R is my present ride and style preference. But I too am tired of "maintenance" on high performance internal combustion engines, clutches and multi ratio gear boxes. Having maximum torque from walking speed to full speed also sounds like too much fun!

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Born to ride

Hmm. 77 mile range at 70 mph, 94 at 55. Over 8 hours to charge! Useless for any of the riding we do. Looks like our '07 K1200GT's have some useful attributes.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
I recently contacted "Zero" about a demo ride. Their agent recommends me trying the "SR" being that a K1200R is my present ride and style preference. But I too am tired of "maintenance" on high performance internal combustion engines, clutches and multi ratio gear boxes. Having maximum torque from walking speed to full speed also sounds like too much fun!
Every year they get more range. You can get an extended range version SR if needed. A buddy puts 15k a year on his 3 year old Zero with 0 maintenance and only new tires. He only uses his large Honda on weekends. Great 2nd bike or for only committing. It will outrun almost any standard bike under 1k. I would really like if BMW eventually does more than an electric scooter (which is also really fun but only a scooter). Here in San Diego the Triumph dealer has them.
Current 2003 K1200GT
Old 07-19-2015, 06:36 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
Hmm. 77 mile range at 70 mph, 94 at 55. Over 8 hours to charge! Useless for any of the riding we do. Looks like our '07 K1200GT's have some useful attributes.

No-one will champion the K12-K1300 more than I. But the performance available and the maintenance avoided in an electric platform are reason alone for this technology IMO. Cost of fuel and not sonic-ally alerting every cop with a ticket book of my approach are other very practical attributes of "electric". Range and charge time are still considerations/limitations for many. But the more the market increases so too will it finance the answers.(Aluminum frames were a costly "exotic" before the market and subsequent/serendipitous technologies made it "common")

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen