I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Brake fluid issue

Hopefully someone can answer. I'm planning on only keeping it through next year, but my front rotors were down to the limit, so I went with the lowest cost front rotors and pads I could find made by Bike Master. it's a 2005 RT with servo brakes. After pushing in the front pistons on each caliber, installing the rotors, I put it all back together, added the brake pads. Brake lever really soft. At first I though I had pushed in the pistons to far. Then noticed brake fluid coming out of a tube down by the left side of swing arm. My guess is that was an overflow tube. Then a day later, it occurred to me about the servo, and I hadn't yet installed the battery. Once I installed the battery, turned the key, the lever got hard and I have braking power. Not alot of fluid, but enough to make me check the front master cylinder which was still full. I also checked the rear just in case, and both were full.
I took it for safety run around the block, to check the brakes and so forth. The brake lever seems to have it's normal pull, but the new rotors and pads don't seem to have the stopping power I would expect. I would think brand new, they catch hard for the first 100 or so miles. So I get back, park the bike on the center stand, then put a paper towel under where the tube would drip and it did have a small spot on it. I'm concerned that I maybe damaged the system though I hear the servo whizz. Now granted, due to illness, family issues and the worst weather of any April I can remember, this was the first I had the bike out. I'm wondering if I damaged the servo unit. But I'm probably due for a full brake bleed anyway, and the bike sat over 6 months. Any thoughts on why fluid is coming out of that tube?
Old 05-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: Brake fluid issue

And btw, the fluid is brown in the cylinders. I think it was just about 4 years ago, I had it done at the dealer.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,674 Times in 2,762 Posts

Likely when you forced the brake pistons back into the calipers, you forced brake fluid back into one of the reservoirs, and if overfilled, and maybe somewhere you created a leak. I'm not familiar with the R series to be able to identify all issues. Yet 4 years on brake fluid is too long - the whole system should be flushed and properly bled. Also, and I don't know if your bike came through with rubber brake lines, but if it did, you should carefully inspect the lines to see if there is a crack, or a pinhole leak. And if you do have rubber brake lines, they're 13 years old and past their sell by date and should be replaced either with new stock lines, or preferably by stainless steel lines.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Likely when you forced the brake pistons back into the calipers, you forced brake fluid back into one of the reservoirs, and if overfilled, and maybe somewhere you created a leak. I'm not familiar with the R series to be able to identify all issues. Yet 4 years on brake fluid is too long - the whole system should be flushed and properly bled. Also, and I don't know if your bike came through with rubber brake lines, but if it did, you should carefully inspect the lines to see if there is a crack, or a pinhole leak. And if you do have rubber brake lines, they're 13 years old and past their sell by date and should be replaced either with new stock lines, or preferably by stainless steel lines.
The lines are stainless. The last bleed was either three or four years ago. I'm at work and don't have my records with me.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Site Contributor

You did indeed force fluid back into the module reservoir and that is normal behavior for the system to drip excess fluid out the overflow tube. You need to do a brake fluid change at this point anyway. If you did the brake replacement, then the fluid change should be no problem for you to do. You will need the martini glass from beemer boneyard to do the job. Removing all the attendant body panels etc is the worst part of the job. The actual fluid change is really quick and easy. Search the site for the proper procedure as it does have to be done in a particular order.

Jim
Old 05-11-2018, 04:27 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

You have 4 separate fluid systems with 4 separate reservoirs. The reservoir you see on the handle bars and the rear peddle are the control circuits for front and back and the reservoirs for the calipers (wheel circuits) are integral with the servo unit. The bleed point for these visible reservoirs are on the ABS unit, not the wheel calipers. When you pushed back the pistons the fluid went to the ABS servo unit under the gas tank and over flowed. There is no liquid connection between the four systems. To bleed the wheel circuits you turn on the key, use the levers to control the ABS unit and bleed fluid from the reservoirs on the abs unit to the calipers. Look up how to "bleed servo brakes" and you will find a process that takes about 1.5 hours or so and should straighten out your situation.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 11:55 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
You have 4 separate fluid systems with 4 separate reservoirs. The reservoir you see on the handle bars and the rear peddle are the control circuits for front and back and the reservoirs for the calipers (wheel circuits) are integral with the servo unit. The bleed point for these visible reservoirs are on the ABS unit, not the wheel calipers. When you pushed back the pistons the fluid went to the ABS servo unit under the gas tank and over flowed. There is no liquid connection between the four systems. To bleed the wheel circuits you turn on the key, use the levers to control the ABS unit and bleed fluid from the reservoirs on the abs unit to the calipers. Look up how to "bleed servo brakes" and you will find a process that takes about 1.5 hours or so and should straighten out your situation.
I have the JVB dvd that covers it. I did brake and clutch bleeds on my previous bikes before, The last time it was done it was by the dealer.
Since I will be doing it, I'll order the super duper Beemer boneyard funnel, and since the procedure includes fuel tank removal, I might as well get the quick disconnects for the fuel lines while I'm at it
Old 05-12-2018, 12:35 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Your on the road to recovery!
This thread might give your some more help.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...vo+brake+bleed
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.