I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Weird electrical issue

So I have a 98 K1200RS, new to me as are bikes in general. I installed a hella outlet on the frame just above the forks as it had a series of holes that fit the outlet perfectly. I did this while I had the tank removed as I was in heated grip repair hell (another long story but I fixed em) so I connected the new outlet to the fuse box so it is on only when the ignition is on. Worked perfectly. Store the bike for winter and then took it out at the beginning of April. Plugged my hella to USB outlet in, alls good. One day I removed the outlet and when I went to put it back in, screwed it up (contacts got pushed in on the adapter) so I had to replace it. Plugged the new on in, all's well.

The following day I go out and start up the bike and it immediately revs to 5000 RPMs, cant get it to go down. Shut it off and try again, it revs up again. After the 4th or 5th try, I grab the hella/USB adapter and pull it out, bike immediately winds down to normal RPMs. Plug the adapter back in, all's fine and remains so for a week or so. Then it happens again, I pull the adapter, back to normal.

Thoughts anyone?

-Ken
Old 05-15-2018, 10:39 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Weird electrical issue

Get rid of the adapter.

As of JUNE-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,53,265mi. To replace the '85
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 37,600mi.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

And what did you hook its up to. only the battery terminals is okay.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the replies. When I had the tank off, I tapped into the connector/distributer that comes off the fuse box. I believe the ignition comes off of the same terminals that I tapped into. I did that because I wanted the outlet to be off when the ignition is off to avoid accidental battery draining.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYGZR
Get rid of the adapter.
Obviously the most simplistic approach.

In my case with all my bikes I wire all my extra gadgets off a relay directly from the battery. The relay I activate from a switched power source (generally the tailight - don't know if this would flip out a CANBUS system but you don't have that to worry about here).

Not that difficult, and not that costly but follows the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) practice.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 05-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks. And I thought I was keeping it simple but alas, you can't fix stupid. I think I'll re-wire AND replace the adapter.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:46 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Your on track now. All good suggestions above. There are several places to find a key controlled power source to trigger a relay. Use one that others have done successfully. A search on the subject will give you a whole evening of reading. There are several fuse panels also, all the way from laptop programed to basic fuse monitored. It is fun to look at them all.
Here is one link to a source. Aerostitch has some fuse boxes also. I'm too basic, all I have is a relay and a standard fuse panel with about 5 circuits on it. When you choose something, be sure to route your wires well and secure them tight. Neatness counts for much. Make a drawing of it and file it in your bike records. Do not ground devices locally, run two wires for your devices all the time, one power and the other the ground all the way back to the fuse panel.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wi...fuseboxes.html
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,004 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsimon
Thanks. And I thought I was keeping it simple but alas, you can't fix stupid. I think I'll re-wire AND replace the adapter.

For a K1200RS like yours (non-CANBUS obviously...), the best method is a Relay activated from a switched power source ...AND... the best power-source that will not cause interference are:
(1) IF closer to FRONT of bike: the parking light located just under the main headlight: The BROWN wire is a ground and the other wire a (+) power. See 2nd attached photo...

(2) IF tapping need is closer to REAR: the licence-plate-light power that is one wire out of a large 6 pins connector under seat. See 1st attached photo for details...

Both are switched, based on ignition being ON.
You must NOT power your accessories from this selected wire, but only use this to switch the RELAY on. The main power source should be the battery OR the distribution-fuse-box you have install (if you choose to do so).

As mentionned by BEECH, on the K1200RS/GT or K1200LT, you should NOT depend on the frame (main backbone or sub-frame) to carry a ground. You need to carry both + and minus wires from the battery to your RELAY or distribution-fuse-box.

Because you have a 1998, you could also use the tail-light wire from same 6 pins connectors, HOWEVER on later models with servos-iABS (2002-2005 K1200RS in USA), this will cause problems as the tail-light is monitored for power / amperage to detect bulb failure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post: