I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM
Entering the on-ramp

K13GT excessive oil consumption.

Hi, first time here. I have a question about this K13GT we speak so highly of. I bought this bike, 2009 model, with around 40 000kms on the clock. Since I got it I have had excessive oil consumption. This is not a consistent though as some trip use less than others. My last was the worst. I travelled around 850kms with no lack of or loss of power but with a loss of 2 litres of oil. My canister has NO wet oil on it and not a lot of smoke was noticed from bikes travelling with me. It seemed to occur more when I rode a little harder than the norm. I have since contacted various dealers who all seem to come up with the same answer. Carbon or muck stuck in the oil ring. It was suggested I run the bike on mineral oil for a tank or two and then flush the engine before refilling with fully synthetic oil as recommended. As replacing the rings is a hugely expensive option I was hoping for some suggestions.... HELP !!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:40 PM

Re: K13GT excessive oil consumption.

Ouch. 2 litre of oil for 850km is definitely very high. Are you using the proper grade and make of oil? Can you check in the bike's history if there has a been a request from the previous owner to fix the problem?

What I would do is to run that engine with mineral oil for SEVERAL oil changes. Long enough to place the rings.

Lee
-- Stolen
1990 Honda CBR1000F (the love of my life) -- Sold when son was born
2001 BMW K1200RS aka Good Girl -- Current
2006 BMW R1150GSA aka Kim Kardashian -- Current

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Massive Lee' for this post:
Old 07-27-2015, 05:49 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Lee
Ouch. 2 litre of oil for 850km is definitely very high. Are you using the proper grade and make of oil? Can you check in the bike's history if there has a been a request from the previous owner to fix the problem?

What I would do is to run that engine with mineral oil for SEVERAL oil changes. Long enough to place the rings.

Lee
Welcome to the asylum Roy!

Yeah, what Lee said...he knows more than most...Good Luck to you!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks... in that process so will just keep at it.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I did contact the previous dealer and they had no record of any such problem so I guess my best bet is to just stick to plan 'b' of mineral oil. I guess replacing or refilling the oil continuously cant do any harm. At least the bike gets to run on clean oil
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

I hope Lee's suggestion works - personally I think it is a valve guide issue. I have been down this road myself.

Have replaced pistons and rings and valve seals and this did not even produce even a little less oil consumption.

The valve guides are not serviceable on these engines only thing you can do is get a new head very expensive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Shooting the gap

If you went through two liters of oil in 850km, and that oil was actually consumed by the engine or leaked out, you would see signs-- smoky exhaust, oil accumulation at the end of the muffler, oil spooge on the outside of the engine, etc. Before you get too wrapped up in chasing what you perceive as a problem, please make sure you ARE following the procedure in the manual for checking the oil--good and hot after a ride, on centerstand, immediately after shutting down, etc. If you are mixing hot and cold checks you are not reading oil consumption, just normal expansion/contraction and dry sump evacuating. Be absolutely consistent in your method and conditions when checking oil level.

Secondly, for some reason BMW riders are uber-anal about oil level. Relax, it's a K-bike and you're dealing with almost 4L of oil in use--slight ups and downs will happen, and there is no need to add oil until there has been a definite, continued downward trend oil level.

Don't add oil based on the presence/absence of the "oil" checkmark on the dash. That's a flaky bit of work that should not be trusted as an accurate read of oil level in the machine. Go strictly by the dipstick.

Lastly, verify that you are using the correct weight and type of oil in the engine. I'd be really surprised if the bike is actually using that much oil-- I am reminded of riders on older boxer twins who complained about oil usage, until it was pointed out to them that adding oil up to the mark on the dipstick would simply result in oil being tossed overboard through the breather system until the bike reached the level it wanted to run at, which was usually about 4-5mm below the full mark on the dipstick.

If you've settled into a consistent methodology for monitoring oil level and are still seeing consistent declines in oil levels, then by all means start tracking down the issue. I just think that 2L of oil in 850km would leave some very obvious signs of where that oil went, and you've not mentioned seeing any.

Good luck,

GTRider
2004 K1200GT GrauGruen
2010 K1300GT Apple Red Metallic
Old 08-02-2015, 12:35 AM
To the moon Alice!

As GT Rider stated, you would know if you were burning 2 liters at 850KM, it would be a smoker big time. I have a 2009 1300GT with 80,000 KMs on her with a lot of 2 up riding at average speeds of 130 Kph. I change my oil and filter every 5000KMs religiously. The bike holds 3.5 liters to the top full line, I use Motul semi-syntech with a 10-40 weight. Following a ride I place the bike on the full stand and after taking my gear in I check the level(10 minutes or so), always at the full line....over the past 6 years I have added in total 1liter of oil. It's possible that you are reading the oil level improperly and getting a false reading or running poor quality oil. Does you temp stay below the half mark? mine runs at 3 bars.... Try what I use and verify the oil level as I do and see if she holds at the proper level. I also run on Shell V-Power whenever possible. Best of luck

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi guys, I have just come back form a 300km plus ride and the oil indicator lit up at roughly 220km. It was at varying speeds (130km/h - 230km/h) with little smoke on hard acceleration only. It seems to have improved a little from using semi or fully synthetic oil. I can see black oil 'smoke' marks around the exhaust outlet but no moisture. It definitely has no leaks. My mates mentioned a bit of smoke under hard acceleration but that's it... confused but lets see if the mineral oil corrects the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchilli
Hi guys, I have just come back form a 300km plus ride and the oil indicator lit up at roughly 220km. It was at varying speeds (130km/h - 230km/h) with little smoke on hard acceleration only. It seems to have improved a little from using semi or fully synthetic oil. I can see black oil 'smoke' marks around the exhaust outlet but no moisture. It definitely has no leaks. My mates mentioned a bit of smoke under hard acceleration but that's it... confused but lets see if the mineral oil corrects the problem. Thanks for the suggestions.

OK, so you DO have signs of oil being consumed. If this were my bike, I'd be getting the fault codes read and have a look under the tupperware to make sure there aren't any broken or disconnected vacuum lines and such, and probably have the valve adjustment checked to make sure all is well. Basically, an 18k mile/30k kilometer service. Then, I'd take it out and ride it like I stole it for a couple thousand miles in hopes the rings will seat. Spend some time running up through the gears at WOT then easing back down, so you get some pressure behind the rings, put some load on the motor. If a couple thousand miles of that doesn't make a different then it may be time to dig into the motor and find out for sure where the oil is going. Good luck!

GTRider
2004 K1200GT GrauGruen
2010 K1300GT Apple Red Metallic
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchilli
If improvement was from using a syn. oil why would you go the other way?
Changing to a mineral oil alone will not get the "muck" out of the rings if anything go with a high detergent oil and pray, anyway, if it were the rings it would smoke so bad you wouldn't be able to see out your mirrors.
I don't think your issue is "muck" but rather a mechanical or head sealing issue, water pump drive seal ( not sure if the water pump drives off a oil side shaft) oil wont fix that, but what gets me is the minimal amount of smoke for the amount of oil your using.
Did you check your coolant to make sure you are not getting oil in the system and pushing out your coolant and it is evaporating or blowing off into the stratosphere at the speed you are using oil?, that is the only thing that it could be by your explanation of "little smoke"
With no leak and really no smoke, you filled it properly and with no chance of screwing that up, the only other place that oil could be going is in the cooling system.
You need to get in there and do a compression test and a leak down test to see whats going on, 30 bucks will buy you a compression tester and 25 bucks will by you a kit to do a leak down test as long as you have an air compressor of some type.
Take your time and do basic tests, it will lead you to the issue, but check your coolant first.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Members I am new to the site and want to get around certain areas of it. I got K1300 GT and after the 100000 km service (full service history) I had the same problem 1 Liter to 1000 ks and on 104650 m the no.4 con rod decided to depart.So I wrote letter to Motorrad Germany for feedback because I firmly believe the synthetic oil 5-40w is useless I prefer the 15-50w rock oil. They state Castrol oil on the BMW service book and then put some other stuff in. But I was also asking for upgrade on oil pumps. These engines all got the same problem and they did had a campaign on the chain tensioner which never improve on the tin can problem. The engine tends to sound like a lot of bolts shaking in a tin can for 5 sec's when get started hot or cold depend of circumstances. To resolve the problem the oil must go for hotter country's to higher rating. Because of the side stand standing it never lubricate the no. 4 big ends properly. You will pick this up when riding the bike at 7000 rpm exactly there is a vibration on the engine and goes away at 8000 rpm. Same at 6000 rpm only at 7000 rpm. Firm sign of the the big end is giving notice
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bm1300gts' for this post:
Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Guys... after riding some 2000km more I still haven't found anything significant. Someone mentioned that I should take a look at the oil pressure pipe, he seemed to think it was oil being pushed up from the sump due to the pipe being blocked or inserted wrong hence the smoke on acceleration. We'll eventually get there otherwise its a great bike.

Thanks for all the advice and tips.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

Okay just to be different - I had a 2013 K1300S that used a quart every 800 miles. Never smoked/that you could see - between the cat and synthetic oil not really going to smoke - on occasion if a friend was behind me he could smell it. The exhaust pipe was always black - clean it and 50 miles later black again.

I had a new piston kit installed - BMW never saw anything wrong - rings were good - pistons were good - valves were good - guides checked out - etc - etc. Still used the same amount of oil - I sold that bike.

I personally thought the valve guides were bad - they replaced the seals not the guides because the guides are pressed in - and they didn't want to put a new head on it.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-02-2016, 12:35 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Members I think I got the answer on this problem and it is purely the MANUFACTURER ignorance on this problem because they need to recall all their bikes of wrong oil that they are using. OK it started like this got my bike in 2013. (My first was a 2011 write off in accident) So I bought my friends one with 23567 km on the clock. The bike had its full service history up till 100,000 km. with the dealer. No problem used 1-2 litres of oil on 10,000 km no problem. But then on 100,000 km the MANUFACTURER decided to change the oil to the new BMW Multi oil. (BIG MISTAKE) On 1000 km it used 1L of oil on 2000 Km another 1L on 3000Km another 1L. So I complained to the dealer and they said I must check it and keep them informed. On 104,756 km I drop the con rod with oil in the engine and after another refill of 1L of oil. So motto of the story is the following. If you ride the bike and there is a vibration on 7000 rpm the No. 4 con rod is telling you (knocking to get out!) 1st sign! (Not enough oil is feeding the con rod) Then when you (2nd sign) ride the bike and you know the oil level is right and you then stop at the red robot after 1 -2 minutes off idle the warning light (bike is upright and warmed up) comes up telling you the oil level is bad. Switch off the engine and after 30 sec's switch on and the warning is gone! Stop at the nearest garage and just double check the oil level is fine. This is an old 1300GT problem because of the MANUFACTURER IGNORANCE against the problem. This old problem of the engine (1200GT problem carried over to 1300GT) gives you a bad noise on a cold start from time to time (another MANUFACTURE IGNORANCE). I have resolved the problem by doing the following. In the MANUFACTURE manual they mention CASTROL oils.(no other crap) So solution I replaced my 1300 GT engine with a 1300S engine (cost was R 35000 and the 1300S engine had 12,563Km on the clock) and took it back to dealer with new EFU reprogram the system and replace the oil with 10-60 full scientific Castrol (Edge) oil. .1 Results the motor doesn’t suffer from false warning lights. 2. Much better cold start. 3. Quiet engine at 7000 rpm. 4. No more excessive oil usage. There is also a REDLINE oil product on the market recommended specifically for BMW car engines. I am in the Southern hemisphere and at 18:00h in the evening our temperatures are 35 degrees Celsius ambient. The oil the MANUFACTURER recommend (5-40w) stop at 40. Temperatures of the engine at those ambient temperatures are 56-69 degrees Celsius. So at the end of the day you don’t have any protection in your engine. Reason the oil become like water doesn’t matter what oil pump you got there is no oil pressure at low revs. My distance off travelling vary from 350-1200 km’s a day at a normal 160-220 km/h @ 5000-8000 rpm. I purchased the bike for this specific reason the 1600GT is a mess not up to the 1300 spec. Heavy on weight and fuel and not as sporty as the 1300. Will only purchase another 1300 unless the MANUFACTURER catches a wakeup call and replace the crappy 1600.
Love my 1300. Will give some feedback after more kilos. Have some riding to do