I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Getting up to speed

K1300GT Looking for LED Light add/Install Info

Hi
Has anyone installed fog lamps on their K13GT (or any K13 bike)
I have made mounts to install them on the front fork, either side, which I believe will work, but I am looking at others for ideas as well as wiring recommendations.
Anyone do something similar?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: K1300GT Looking for LED Light add/Install Info

Hi,

I installed these on my k1300gt, I used the side bolt of the front fender to install them. They're very bright and I'm very happy with these so far!!! I wired them on the daylight system wich was very easy to do and I also used a bit of glue where the unit meets the mounting bracket in order to maintain the unit focused where I want it to be. It is a very unexpensive way to get good fog light and they also look good on the motorcycle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-LE...item360c7cb0b4

I will try to post some pics later because I don't know how to do it.

Serge
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Serge H' for this post:
Old 03-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Getting up to speed

Dave, I had a pair of PIAA LP 530 LED fog lamps professionally installed about 3 years ago (p/n 73530). They have the on/off push button switch mounted on the left handlebar right behind the clutch fluid reservoir. While I haven't done much driving at night I still tend to leave them on during daylight riding. They are mounted 14" above ground level just below either side yellow reflectors. When night riding they add a much wider fill-in of the peripheral ground area. As the stock high/lows are perfectly adequate to me these compliment what is already there. The "trigger"is mounted up high and forward of the battery under the cover. This pair is easily adjusted if necessary with a 10 mm wrench (one nut top & bottom on either side).. Just loosen slightly and rotate as necessary. It's a very white bright light that seems very effective. I just added a Kisan tailblazer to the rear brake light which makes a rapid "blipping" on/off on then steady illumination. That really is effective if someone following you is not paying attention. Good luck with your choice and installation.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'robert mahler' for this post:
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge H
Hi,

I installed these on my k1300gt, I used the side bolt of the front fender to install them. They're very bright and I'm very happy with these so far!!! I wired them on the daylight system wich was very easy to do and I also used a bit of glue where the unit meets the mounting bracket in order to maintain the unit focused where I want it to be. It is a very unexpensive way to get good fog light and they also look good on the motorcycle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-LE...item360c7cb0b4

I will try to post some pics later because I don't know how to do it.

Serge
Hey Serge - Thanks for the info. The lights I purchased off Ebay are a two wire light as well. I want the light to run with the daylight running light so I will attach to that wire (I saw it on a youtube vid) I have been scared away by ppl posting all the electrical issues they run into. Canbus etc (which I have no idea about) so I really appreciate the response to my question. I plan on mounting them on my fender as well. I have 3D printed a bracket that I think will work fine. If you have any pics, that would be great! post them here or feel free to email me at Drawcad@rogers.com I dont know how to post a picture either
sim to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-125W-U8...BXmX2w&vxp=mtr
Old 03-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

are you looking for actual light output or are you looking for more light so that others see you? if the later, get the Skene Design PB's for the front and P3's for the rear. no issues with canbus, simple install.
09 K1300s
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert mahler
Dave, I had a pair of PIAA LP 530 LED fog lamps professionally installed about 3 years ago (p/n 73530). They have the on/off push button switch mounted on the left handlebar right behind the clutch fluid reservoir. While I haven't done much driving at night I still tend to leave them on during daylight riding. They are mounted 14" above ground level just below either side yellow reflectors. When night riding they add a much wider fill-in of the peripheral ground area. As the stock high/lows are perfectly adequate to me these compliment what is already there. The "trigger"is mounted up high and forward of the battery under the cover. This pair is easily adjusted if necessary with a 10 mm wrench (one nut top & bottom on either side).. Just loosen slightly and rotate as necessary. It's a very white bright light that seems very effective. I just added a Kisan tailblazer to the rear brake light which makes a rapid "blipping" on/off on then steady illumination. That really is effective if someone following you is not paying attention. Good luck with your choice and installation.

Robert - The "professionally installed" part is for sure the best way to go. I like the Wunderlich lights with all the hardware and wiring but with exchange its just under 1 million dollars Canadian. I wanted to keep it on a tight (lean) (ok Cheap) budget. I also like your Tailblazer install you speak of. Just googling that now. Did you install this yourself? Also what Tailblazer did you buy? I would be interested in that as well. part number? bulb? Pics? its all about visibility. Thanks for your reply - dave
Old 03-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Getting up to speed

MLytle ~ Whoa - Havent seen those before - Budget? nah - Look really nice though - probably a simpler way to have everything done right - IDK. they look however, very vulnerable to stones and debris up front. they dont seem to have a cover or are these rock solid? I will look further into it - thank you for your input - dave
Old 03-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

have them on both of my K's. front and rear. they are very solid units. no issues with road debris, nor have I heard others having issues.

there are several threads on these lights here and on the bmwmoa forums.

on the cost...in the end it really is not much more than many options.....and.....you get a discount if you have taken a MS safety course, are a safety instructor, or are active duty military.
09 K1300s
Old 03-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Dave,

I just sent you 3 pics of the lights on my machine. Regarding the connection, like I said I used the wiring for the daylight and there has been no canbus or other problems at all. These are very bright, the make you more visible in daytime and they really make a big differrence at night time.

Take care!!!

Serge

let me know if you did not received the pics, I will send them on your phone.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Hey Dave, i just installed these LED lights on my bike, link to thread here below.
Very nice quality, supplied wiring harness is quailty and plug and play.
Link to supplier is at the bottom of the first post in the thread.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60274

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge H
Hi Dave,

I just sent you 3 pics of the lights on my machine. Regarding the connection, like I said I used the wiring for the daylight and there has been no canbus or other problems at all. These are very bright, the make you more visible in daytime and they really make a big differrence at night time.

Take care!!!

Serge

let me know if you did not received the pics, I will send them on your phone.
serge - i did not receive your pics. I figgured out (with a lot of help from the admin here) how to upload a pic. so here are my pics. heres what I plan to put on the bike - I 3D printed the bracket that still needs some work, but I'll get it shortly. It will be mounted on the front fender side.

see if this works
cheers
Old 03-18-2017, 12:29 AM
Getting up to speed

One more time for the learning impaired.

rock on
Old 03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Getting up to speed

Dave, Regarding the Kisan Tailblazer, I bought this rear stop lamp from Jerry @ Pirate's Lair in N.C. for $118. To install, take off 4 torx screws @ taillamp on K13GT. Two inner are conventional & stock ( marked GE 1057P)what you do is pull both of them out 1/4 turn wiggle out due to the base pins @ bottom.Then you insert the tiny led's into the new provided base supplied to plug into the existing bulb receptacle.
Do this twice then replace the stoplight lens which encloses the two central stop lamp and the outer amber turn signals. They supply 2 spare tiny led's like the two you install. There is no splicing in, adapting, or rewiring anything. A little booklet comes with it and found on page is what you do. Called Jerry to verify and he confirmed, plug it in and it's gonna 'do it's electronic I call it "stutter-blipping" . Very effective visual attention getter to your following vehicle.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert mahler
Dave, Regarding the Kisan Tailblazer, I bought this rear stop lamp from Jerry @ Pirate's Lair in N.C. for $118. To install, take off 4 torx screws @ taillamp on K13GT. Two inner are conventional & stock ( marked GE 1057P)what you do is pull both of them out 1/4 turn wiggle out due to the base pins @ bottom.Then you insert the tiny led's into the new provided base supplied to plug into the existing bulb receptacle.
Do this twice then replace the stoplight lens which encloses the two central stop lamp and the outer amber turn signals. They supply 2 spare tiny led's like the two you install. There is no splicing in, adapting, or rewiring anything. A little booklet comes with it and found on page is what you do. Called Jerry to verify and he confirmed, plug it in and it's gonna 'do it's electronic I call it "stutter-blipping" . Very effective visual attention getter to your following vehicle.
thanks for the information Robert. I looked at the site (pretty good sense of humour) I will look at getting the tailblazer light in the coming weeks/months - pretty pricey so I hope they last! ($165.00 Canadian with exchange) plus shipping.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Hey Serge
Any chance you can send those pics of wiring (i you have some) from your aux light build?
I like the idea of splicing into the daylight running lights - I would think that stays on when you are in high beam as well? my email is drawcad@rogers.com if you are able to send them over. Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Davcon, I had a small problem with the Kisan Tailblazer stoplight LED lamps. Found out from the tech main @Kisan(# provided by Jerry@Pirate's Lair) that on my 1300GT I was advised to reverse the two left lamp spade connector lamp leads. The left tail lamp functioned but didn't act properly as the right did. After doing that it worked fine. Very satisfied, thanks to the backup from Jerry and the tech adviser @ Kisan.