I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Getting up to speed

Front Shock

Took a short ride today... when I got home everything was normal... in fact I put the bike in the middle of the garage and there were no drips. After giving it a quick wipe down I moved it to it's parking place and it began dripping. I did not have time to take anything apart but by laying under the front end with a flashlight I am guessing the front shock has begun leaking. Does this sound normal? 2009 K1300GT (w/ESA) with about 35,000 miles.

What should I expect to pay at the dealer for new shock installed?

Are there better after market shocks or should I replace with OEM?

Thanks for any advice!
Chris
Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Re: Front Shock

Chris, up until this linked thread was recently written, there were choices, but you would lose ESA. Now you don't.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=58671

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,715 Posts

Check it tomorrow to be sure it's shock oil.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Getting up to speed

Just get in touch with Ted Porter's Beemer Shop. You can get a set for what you will pay for one front shock. You just have to send your rear shock to them so they can transfer the ESA module.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tf1200rt' for this post:
Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

A new BMW shock with installation is close to 3000$. Front and back 6K.
These people below can rebuild it for maybe 750$ and you install it which is not easy unless you have some ability. Last time I heard, both shocks rebuilt were about 1700$. There is a link on installation called something like "a shocking experience". It takes someone who is comfortable with complicated work about 5 to 6 hours to change both. Not hard but meticulous on the front, back is just a pain with no short cuts.
http://epmperf.com/
Your other options is to install non electronic controlled shocks and move on but it is your choice. The rear is probably just about done. Rough roads contribute.
The above post seems to say that Ted does K bike shocks now, I hope so. I sent him my dead ones 2 years ago for him to research on. If it is so, great. I'd work with him. I do know he does GS shocks.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 03-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Getting up to speed

Ted Porter's conversion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf7MIVPfic4
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tf1200rt' for this post:
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
A new BMW shock with installation is close to 3000$. Front and back 6K.
These people below can rebuild it for maybe 750$ and you install it which is not easy unless you have some ability. Last time I heard, both shocks rebuilt were about 1700$. There is a link on installation called something like "a shocking experience". It takes someone who is comfortable with complicated work about 5 to 6 hours to change both. Not hard but meticulous on the front, back is just a pain with no short cuts.
Owning a motorcycle is always cheaper if you wrench on it yourself as much as possible.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 03-17-2017, 01:18 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Check it tomorrow to be sure it's shock oil.

Thank you! I'm traveling but will check when I am home. It could also be brake fluid so I'll have to take the faring off and look it over good. It will be a few weeks before I can. Worse case is that it is the shock and if so I was just trying to get an idea of the cost.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I replaced both on my 07 k1200gt for around $1175 , Hyperpro ,with ESA.
Ordered from EPM Performance. You have to remove the shocks and send them in, they install the esa unit on the new shocks , built to your weight range and riding style, turnaround is about 1 week. Also came with a rebuild after 30000 mi. They're a big improvement over the factory shocks.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mohler' for this post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: Front Shock Ed Sorba

Ed Sorba did both my shocks on my 2010 K1300GT and the ride is great. If you are in the area ( L.A ) check ahead and he may be able to do the change over in his shop. http://www.le-suspension.com/ The phone number******is, (909) 838-4587,******e-mail is******ed (at) le-suspension.com
My bike feels like a new unit again!!!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frankr' for this post:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: Front Shock Ed Sorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
Ed Sorba did both my shocks on my 2010 K1300GT and the ride is great. If you are in the area ( L.A ) check ahead and he may be able to do the change over in his shop. http://www.le-suspension.com/ The phone number******is, (909) 838-4587,******e-mail is******ed (at) le-suspension.com
My bike feels like a new unit again!!!

Unfortunately I am in GA. If anyone knows a shop in GA area that can do the whole job - please recommend... otherwise I think I will tackle it myself and send the shock in for a rebuild.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Front Shock, story

After I got my '10 K13GT in Portland last August, and on the way to San Diego, my wife and I stopped at Ted Porter's and spoke with the man himself for about an hour. I was greatly appreciative that he'd take time off to chat with someone who just waltzed in off the street, an he kept referring to a trans he had to take care of that day.

Interesting place, and I was told that he is moving away from general service work and into a niche as a specialty suspension shop.

Ted mentioned an ESA shock rebuilder (sorry I don't remember who it was) and spoke of them with disdain, saying that the only quality control on the shocks they rebuilt FOR BMW, was that then not leak. Sounds like there's a yuuuuuge difference between a properly rebuilt shock, a good aftermarket, and some of the stuff that might get passed off as "BMW rebuilt".

Ted did confirm that ESA shocks don't last forever, and are expensive... well, as always, Let the Buyer Beware. I've got about 23,000 on my K, so it will be a while (or longer, I can hope) until I'm at that junction.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 AM
Getting up to speed

Well it may not be a while after all. The button of the left grip gets pushed, the instrument panel toggles between Comfort, Normal and Sport, but the bike doesn't rise or fall (no weight on it, key on and/or engine running).

Ted Porter's video linked above DOES NOT list his Wilbers conversion available for the K1300GT .... guess I'll have to call him, we live in hope...

UNLESS... anyone can provide advice/diagnostics related to this. I don't have a GS-911 and there's only one dealer in Hawaii. The chance of a capable tech there is somewhat slim.

Anyone?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Ted does not do K bike shocks only GS shocks so far. You will need to deal with EMP of New Jersey.
http://epmperf.com/ (Ted says no good things about his rebuilds, but people use the shop)
Klaus will fix you up. (if your motor is okay on the shock)
The alternative is to go with standard shocks which is not a terrible thing. In that case I would talk with Ted. I sent him a couple of used K bike shocks two years ago so he could look them over and see about getting into the rebuild work for them. Never heard any progress on it. Seems there are enough K bikes out there that are getting older, shocks only last so long.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Beech. Still trying to verify I actually have an issue.

Ted's a great guy... I should give him a ring... if I verify first.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:28 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
Well it may not be a while after all. The button of the left grip gets pushed, the instrument panel toggles between Comfort, Normal and Sport, but the bike doesn't rise or fall (no weight on it, key on and/or engine running).

Probably a bit late with this response, but for the benefit of others....... selecting comfort, normal or sport does NOT cause the bike to rise or fall, these 3 modes only alter the front and rear damping settings......

For rear 'pre-load' adjustment, where the bike is raised for reasons of carrying a passenger or heavy luggage....
You need to have the engine running but the bike stationary then you press and hold the left button and release then press again until you will see two helmets appear in the display, the rear suspension unit will then raise the rear of the bike after a few seconds delay.

pre-load adjustment can only be made with the bike stationary.