I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 PM
dynajohn

Bren Tuning discussion

In several other threads I have posted about my research into ECU tuners and other tuning avenues. I finally made a decision and ordered a Bren hand held tuner for my 2015 K1300s as well as 2 sprint filters that Bren Tuning recommended. Dealing with Bren has been very straight forward. Ordered the tuner on line and received it within 1 week with instructions on how to use it as well as the necessary cables. First you have to down load the stock ECU tune into the hand held following the instructions. This download takes about 40 minutes and then using the provided software up load the ECU information into your computer. The stock ECU tune is then e-mailed to Bren. I did this last Friday and on Monday morning I received a questionnaire to fill out about the K1300 and any modifications to same. Simply fill out the questionnaire and return it to Bren. Late Monday afternoon I received the new Bren tune files by return e-mail. Now reverse the process and download the tune files into a file on your computer and then using the previously provided software download these tune files onto the Bren handheld tuner. Last step is to attach the tuner to the bike through the com port and then choose which provided tune file you want to install. I requested one Bren tune for my bike with the stock OEM Akra muffler, 93 octane fuel, and Sprint high flow filters. I requested a second Bren tune for a full Akra exhaust system, 93 octane fuel and Sprint high flow filters. I will download the tune for the stock exhaust system when I get home for now. I will also reset the maintenance reminder triggered when I changed the Battery with the Bren tuner and reset the throttle position values with the Bren Tuner. The Sprint filters are due in tomorrow and it will probably be next weekend before I get a chance to reassemble all the Tupperware on the bike and ride it. So the Bren hand held tuner now contains 3 tune files. 1. my stock OEM tune 2. the Bren tune I requested for stock exhaust, 93 octane fuel & Sprint filters 3. The Bren tune I requested for full Akra exhaust, 93 octane fuel and the Sprint filters. Total three tunes which can be changed at any time.

So far great service and support from Bren Tuning. I will report back with impressions.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,118 Times in 440 Posts

Re: Bren Tuning discussion

So did Bren tell you exactly what all they did in your new ECU loads?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:38 AM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
So did Bren tell you exactly what all they did in your new ECU loads?

OK I am in Daytona at October bike week and the bike & new tuner are in Louisville waiting my return to install new tune so I can only tell you what Bren says was installed in tunes I requested at this time.

1. Flash in/flash out mapping for stock OEM tune & Bren tunes requested

2. 50+map corrections to:

Ignition timing optimized for 93 octane pump gas, cold & warm start, drivability issues, speed & rev limit adjusted for max power.

fuel mapping to optimize HP & TQ at all RPM's

Remove midrange & bad throttle response (I did not experience this with BMW OEM tune on my bike)

8% power gain, 7% torque gain on pump fuel

Diagnostic invisibility (you can remove Bren tune & re-install the OEM stock tune & BMW dealer cannot detect for warranty purposes)

Smoothing of part throttle drivability & idle (I did not have problems with this on my bike)

stronger idle speed to combat stalling on warm up (I did not have problems with stalling at any temperature on my bike)

reshaped torque model for more power at all RPM's or part throttle

Work on bike at home with ability to reset engine codes and adaptations with the Bren handheld tuner

Actual power tuning based on tunes developed on dyno

Pre-mapped for popular exhaust options (I asked for mapping for stock bike and 2nd map for Akro full exhaust both with 93 octane fuel)
Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
OK I am in Daytona at October bike week and the bike & new tuner are in Louisville waiting my return to install new tune so I can only tell you what Bren says was installed in tunes I requested at this time.

1. Flash in/flash out mapping for stock OEM tune & Bren tunes requested

2. 50+map corrections to:

Ignition timing optimized for 93 octane pump gas, cold & warm start, drivability issues, speed & rev limit adjusted for max power.

fuel mapping to optimize HP & TQ at all RPM's

Remove midrange & bad throttle response (I did not experience this with BMW OEM tune on my bike)

8% power gain, 7% torque gain on pump fuel

Diagnostic invisibility (you can remove Bren tune & re-install the OEM stock tune & BMW dealer cannot detect for warranty purposes)

Smoothing of part throttle drivability & idle (I did not have problems with this on my bike)

stronger idle speed to combat stalling on warm up (I did not have problems with stalling at any temperature on my bike)

reshaped torque model for more power at all RPM's or part throttle

Work on bike at home with ability to reset engine codes and adaptations with the Bren handheld tuner

Actual power tuning based on tunes developed on dyno

Pre-mapped for popular exhaust options (I asked for mapping for stock bike and 2nd map for Akro full exhaust both with 93 octane fuel)
If I'd had these things done on my 2007, I might possibly still be riding it.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
If I'd had these things done on my 2007, I might possibly still be riding it.
And then again, maybe NOT as these were some of the other "issues" that I had with holding on to the K-S.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=813781&postcount=49
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:45 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
And then again, maybe NOT as these were some of the other "issues" that I had with holding on to the K-S.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showpost.php?p=813781&postcount=49

See just posted reply to your link.

I am not advising anyone to buy a Bren tuner (expensive). So far all I have to go on is what they say they can do and a ton of great reviews of their work from the 1000RR community. I will get back to you guys when I have put four or five hundred miles on the bike and hopefully get a dyno test done. Unfortunately I was unable to schedule a dyno test for my completely stock bike but there is plenty of consistent information on the web about what a stock K1300s makes on a dynojet to make a judgment on power increase. Frankly I am more interested in how the tune changes the mid range and drive out of corners than peak numbers.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:58 AM
dynajohn

Well I got back from Daytona FL. and downloaded the Bren tune in my K1300s and got to take a short ride yesterday. The ride was only about 50 miles. Bren says you need to ride 15 to 20 miles to have the quick shift feature re-learn and it took 12 miles. There was so much traffic I did not get to make a judgment on power. What I can say is there is absolutely nothing to complain about . No stalling, flat spots or other issues I could detect on this short ride on interstates and backroads. I could leave a stop at 1,500 RPM with no jerkiness or hesitation. The throttle is linear from full closed to 1/2 to 3/4 open which was as far as I got considering traffic. Gas mileage came in at 47.2 MPG which is the highest I have seen but speeds were kept from 70 MPH on the interstate to 35 MPH on backroads depending on traffic. So far so good.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:33 PM
dynajohn

I finally got more seat time with the Bren Tuning re-flash. I also changed out the OEM Akra muffler for a Remus slip on with the DB plug removed. This is a different bike now. Fueling and drivability is as good as any motorcycle I have owned. Don't have any dyno numbers yet but the power is impressive. That is coming from a guy that has owned a Kawasaki ZX-11, a ZX-12 & two ZX-14's. Not as fast as my ZX-14's but damn impressive and a more sophisticated ride.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Is there a way to get the Bren tune flashed to the bikes ECU without buying the whole Bren Tuner such as BMW dealers or local tuning shops that are authorized to use the tune to frelash customer bikes?

And is the tuner you bought “married” to only your bike like Cobb’s accessport is to only 1 car?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:07 AM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Msport
Is there a way to get the Bren tune flashed to the bikes ECU without buying the whole Bren Tuner such as BMW dealers or local tuning shops that are authorized to use the tune to frelash customer bikes?

I don't know but I saw no mention of authorized tuners, Call or e-mail Bren Tuning

And is the tuner you bought “married” to only your bike like Cobb’s accessport is to only 1 car?

The tuner is married to one bike and cannot be used on another one, I asked already as I have 2 BMW's.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Getting up to speed

Dynajohn, Do you have any advice on the best a/f ratio to run on these bikes. I fitted a power commander with an auto tune and loaded an A/F table I downloaded from the internet that uses mostly 13.2 or 13.7 across the rpm / throttle range. After running for a 1000 miles then accepting the trim values the bike feels actually less powerful. When I say that it is just my feeling with no dyno data to confirm. it just feels a bit fluffy and not as crisp as I would expect. The fuel consumption dropped dramatically to. Pre tune 42 - 45 mpg wher as now I only get about 35 mpg at a fairy conservative 80mph cruise.

Any advice welcomed

Thanks

Brian
Old 12-15-2018, 01:21 AM
dynajohn

Blended ethanol pump gas has a stoic value of 14.2/1 as opposed to straight gas which has a stoic value14.7/1. Since the ethanol blended fuel which is the gas most of the US uses now has a richer stoic value I have found that in dyno tuning most vehicles that peak HP has moved to a richer 12.8 to 13.0 to 1 air fuel ratio. Are you using a freer flowing exhaust system & air filters than stock and what cell corrections did the auto tune make to the standard DJ fuel map to correct to the 13.2/1 & 13.8/1. Those are generally the range of A/F ratios that DJ's auto tune software comes with for all bikes. If I were you I would find a good DJ certified dyno tuner and have the bike fully dyno tuned. I know you thought by buying the auto tune you could avoid this and that is generally true. It is a good system but it does not substitute for a good dyno tuner. I went through this with my 2012 Honda VFR 1200. I used a good DJ dyno tuner to construct the best fuel map for my specific bike and then installed a DJ auto tune system to keep it that way by compensating for weather and elevation changes periodically that the stock ECU system doesn't do precisely.

How did you calibrate the 0% & 100% throttle positions in the power commander 5. On fly by wire bikes the only accurate way to set these is on a dyno where you can set the 100% position under load. If they are not set correctly the mapping will not be precise for throttle position. This would be the first step for a dyno tuner. You need to get this throttle position synchronized with the PC 5.

If you just want to experiment with the map values I would move the part throttle values in the cruising RPM ranges from 13.8/1 to 14/1. You can measure the result from measured gas milage and throttle response. When trying to tune for peak power at 80% to 100% throttle your butt dyno isn't going to be very accurate. Only a 1/4 mile track with a consistent rider and a lot of experimenting will give you correct fueling. The better, quicker and safer way is to use a dyno and a well qualified tuner.

When looking for a qualified tuner you need to find a shop with a Dynojet 250I load control dyno not a simple inertia dynojet dyno. I would look for a dynojet shop that has a DJ certified tuner doing the tuning with as many years of experience as you can find. Call dynojet and ask them for shops in your area with DJ 250 load control dynos and that have certified tuners. Certification requires hands on training at DJ's training center but alone is not all that is required (experience tuning). Shops that have the load control dyno and race or sponsor & tune racers bikes are usually the best bets.

Hope this helps
John
Old 12-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Getting up to speed

John,

Thank you so much for all the information. You are right I should get it on a dyno. I did not do the throttle position calibration because I did not feel comfortable applying full throttle under zero load. Goes against my mechanical instinct but I am sure it is ok. With such a powerful bike I now realize that trying to run the auto tune through all the rpm range at all throttle settings is difficult on the road.

Brian
Old 12-15-2018, 05:23 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjock
John,

Thank you so much for all the information. You are right I should get it on a dyno. I did not do the throttle position calibration because I did not feel comfortable applying full throttle under zero load. Goes against my mechanical instinct but I am sure it is ok. With such a powerful bike I now realize that trying to run the auto tune through all the rpm range at all throttle settings is difficult on the road.

Brian

Brian you couldn't calibrate the correct 100% throttle position on a fly by wire system by opening the throttle 100% in neutral because the stepper motor that opens the throttle plates would not get the throttle plates 100% open before the RPM limiter shut the fun off. That's why DJ says to calibrate this on a dyno as well as it is not a good idea for reliability of the motor . On a bike that does not use TBW you can simply turn the ignition switch on and open the throttle 100% with the engine off and the throttle plates will be positioned at 100% open directly by the throttle cable. On you're 1300s use a higher gear on the dyno to set this because the ECU limits the throttle opening % in the lower gears. Use 4th or 5th gear.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Getting up to speed

Got it John. I will calibrate the tps with just the ignition switched on. That solenoid that limits the butterfly opening in the low gears is already removed on my bike. One other thing I did was to disconnect the flapper in the exhaust as I thought that may have been partly the reason for the very snatchy throttle. Not sure if in reality it matters much if that thing is working or not. The aim of my tune is really to get everything smoothed out as best possible rather than trying to get a few more horses. 175 bop is quite sufficient for an old guy like me.

Cheers

Brian
Old 12-15-2018, 09:54 PM
dynajohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjock
Got it John. I will calibrate the tps with just the ignition switched on.

Cheers

Brian

Don't think that will work either Brian. You can do that on a non FBW bike because the throttle directly moves the butterflys in the throttle body's. But on a FBY system the throttle sends a signal to the ECU and the ECU in turn sends a signal to the throttle valve stepper motor. I Have not seen one of these FBW systems that will open the throttle butterflys unless the engine is running. The feedback signal that tells the ECU that the butterfly's in the throttle body's are 100% open are open or anywhere else comes from a sensor attached to the throttle shaft which operates all four butterfly's in the throttle body's. Sorry it is going to take a dyno pull in 4th or 5th gear to set the 100% position for the PC5 properly. I would also suggest you hook back up the exhaust valve and see what effect it has. It is intended to broaden the TQ band and the valve is completely open at higher RPM's anyway.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 AM
dynajohn

Brian see you have the PC5 & auto tune up for sale on the forum. Good price and it would be worthwhile upgrade. Sorry it did not work out for you. What bike did you trade for?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Getting up to speed

How can you check it beforehand if it works or not?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:47 PM
dynajohn

Based on previous posts on this thread I think he never took it to a dyno to get the thing properly set up for the 100% throttle position which is essential on a throttle by wire by wire bike for a PC5. Very good price for a PC5 & auto tune module that are probably still in warranty from dynojet to him. If you are not willing to get this PC5 & autotuned at least set up for proper throttle position don't buy it. If you are it is a very good tuning tool. Contact him through his add and see what you can work out if you are still interested. I have been trying to buy a set of OEM sport bags from him listed here as well but so far no response from him on my offer to buy them at his asking price. I assume he is on vacation or otherwise occupied right now.