I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,517 Times in 948 Posts

Post Lane Splitting in Maryland...

Maryland bill would allow motorcycle riding between lanes of traffic on highway, at red lights...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...228-story.html
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,151 Times in 457 Posts

Re: Lane Splitting in Maryland...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Maryland bill would allow motorcycle riding between lanes of traffic on highway, at red lights...

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...228-story.html

I saw that recently that one of our state delegates has introduced the bill. Having experienced this in California in my last visit there, it's an amazing thing given that it seemed that everyone on the road there was accepting and knowledgeable about it. Cars on the expressway consistently noticed me and made a little more room.

What I'm really worried about is the public reaction when/if it passes. There are wya too many drivers here that are angry idiots that are more than willing to use their cars as a weapon to keep you from getting in front of them now. The attitude seems to be that using your motorcycle for any advantage in traffic is an offense and it's every idiots job to make sure you pay for that offense by cutting back around you and cutting you off.

I just don't see any kind of public awareness campaign that would be effective enough to temper the idiots. They'd have to put signs along every road in the state alerting drivers to the new law to effective get the word out. I hope they pass it but, man, it'll be an anxious time trying to exercise the right.

How'd that go in California or has it just always been the law?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 03-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,604 Times in 3,268 Posts

Also I think in the states this becomes legal all motorcycle training classes should train on this. I know it becomes more expensive to add this to the curriculum but many riders especially new ones don't have the skill set for this.

And learning this out in traffic is going to be a heck of a challenge that could be very dangerous.

I know it will be like anything else in regard to learning how to ride a motorcycle in traffic but the margin for error well there is none.

Like you stated I think many motorist are not going to obey this law or for that matter know of it and may very well try and cut off the cyclist.

Change is good but there needs to be a good information period I think before just next Monday new rules and good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,002 Posts

California only added language to the Vehicle Code, making lane splitting officially legal in January 2017. However, it was never prohibited by the Vehicle Code before that, and as we are a nation of laws, if something is not statutorily illegal, than it is, and was always viewed as legal. I've lived in CA for nearly 39 years, and have been splitting lanes, without incident for all that time.

Prior to the 2017 legislation, (and they still can,) a cop could always site you for being reckless if you were acting like a jerk while splitting lanes, but if you're just making your way, the cops and cars leave you alone.

Only once can I recall an individual in a car moving to block my path, and that was in a stop and go traffic jam that had backed up the freeway for miles as a result of an accident. I don't think the driver was being particularly malicious, he was just frustrated. I pulled around the back of his car, passed him on the right and waved as I went by.

I have also followed a bike mounted CHP officer several times when splitting lanes. The cars moved to make room like Moses splitting the sea.

So, hopefully other jurisdictions will get on board and follow California's lead. Recall the CA was first to authorize right turn on red. So contact your elected officials and urge them to act.

Here's the statute and subsequent to its enactment the CHP has published its "Guidelines"

Section 21658.1 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:
21658.1. (a) For the purposes of this section, “lane splitting” means driving a motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground, between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including on both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways.
(b) The Department of the California Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist and the drivers and passengers of the surrounding vehicles.
(c) In developing guidelines pursuant to this section, the department shall consult with agencies and organizations with an interest in road safety and motorcyclist behavior, including, but not limited to, all of the following:
(1) The Department of Motor Vehicles.
(2) The Department of Transportation.
(3) The Office of Traffic Safety.
(4) A motorcycle organization focused on motorcyclist safety.

The CHP's "tips" can be found here, file:///H:/Internet%20Download%20Default/CHP%20Lane%20Splitting%20Tips.pdf
Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I saw that recently that one of our state delegates has introduced the bill. Having experienced this in California in my last visit there, it's an amazing thing given that it seemed that everyone on the road there was accepting and knowledgeable about it. Cars on the expressway consistently noticed me and made a little more room.

What I'm really worried about is the public reaction when/if it passes. There are wya too many drivers here that are angry idiots that are more than willing to use their cars as a weapon to keep you from getting in front of them now. The attitude seems to be that using your motorcycle for any advantage in traffic is an offense and it's every idiots job to make sure you pay for that offense by cutting back around you and cutting you off.

I just don't see any kind of public awareness campaign that would be effective enough to temper the idiots. They'd have to put signs along every road in the state alerting drivers to the new law to effective get the word out. I hope they pass it but, man, it'll be an anxious time trying to exercise the right.

How'd that go in California or has it just always been the law?

I agree 100%....I don't know what's wrong with some people driving cars these days. The way some people react to the most insignificant thing like being passed by another vehicle you'd think someone had just stolen their life savings. Even with a large add campaign to get lane splitting on the driving public's radar you'd still have a bunch of idiots defying the law just because their ignorant. I'd like to see it pass in PA but it'll be dangerous maneuver for several years.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,686 Times in 757 Posts

Lane splitting...just one of the many reasons I ride to California every May...simply brilliant!

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 03-15-2019, 12:25 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,261 Posts

Washington State just refused again to take action on legalizing it here. Nine years folks have tried. The State Patrol always opposes it. A bunch of conservative uninformed LEO's. Another example, much like those comments in Maryland, of "gut feelings" over statistics. Road conditions are much different these days from 40 years ago.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:09 PM
Speed Demon

Thread like this turn up some time ago and frankly thought it was some kind of April fool till I realised you guys actually do not filter in the traffic certainly solved some mysteries for me because when riding in Germany would encounter many a US reg bike because of the troops etc and was great fun to ride with them and the moment we encountered traffic they would disappear.

For years my wife and I had talked about riding across the US on a bike filtering in traffic is in every bikers DNA over here and decided against the idea.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,261 Posts

Skip the big cities and the East coast. Utah, Arizona, Oregon and much of California would make a good trip for you. Filter in California as needed. Civil insurrection is what I recommend now. Everyone filter when safe and needed and accept you are going to get a ticket. Thirty mile back up on a two lane Hwy coming out of the mountains two years ago, cars were moving over for us going down the shoulder. There are sane people out there.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,446 Times in 3,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
Thread like this turn up some time ago and frankly thought it was some kind of April fool till I realised you guys actually do not filter in the traffic certainly solved some mysteries for me because when riding in Germany would encounter many a US reg bike because of the troops etc and was great fun to ride with them and the moment we encountered traffic they would disappear.

For years my wife and I had talked about riding across the US on a bike filtering in traffic is in every bikers DNA over here and decided against the idea.

Chris, spring or fall in the southwest is superb, before Memorial Day (last weekend in May) and after Labor Day (first weekend in September) when the kiddies are in school and the Winnibagoes are parked somewhere out of sight - and if you get stuck in traffic in California you just make short work of it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post: