I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,827 Posts

Re: New Msport owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K13Msport
Thanks Lee! Saw you over on BMW MOA as well. Just joined there. Wife got me a Platinum membership for Christmas. Do you still have your 2 Orange S models? Really liked that color.

Traded in 2016 for R1200RSs.

I added a picture in my previous post so you can see the small 10 liter tank bag with a GPS.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Chris:

Thanks! That is a super sharp bike. Did we get the R models over here in the USA? How is that bike different than the ďSĒ?

You did get the R Sport itís the R you didnít get apart from the obvious like plastics single air filter,rear subframe is a fraction different so takes a different seat but that rack on the back is as good as any other bike iíve Owned in the last 50 years.

I just chuckle at how much gear you guys carry for one person
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 12-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,108 Posts

Bruce has an OEM bag for sale in our classifieds.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 12-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,827 Posts

Quote:
Lee. Also, is your SatNav bar mounted? Which mount?
And what sliders did you go with? Did you have to drill a hole in the fairing? And it looks like you have the swingarm slider as well.
No axle sliders?
Thank you.

I replaced the BMW roundel with a ball and threaded stud, then used a RAM arm.

The Sliders are R&G Aero. http://pirateslair.net/K1300Scrash.htm
Unfortunately you have to drill holes in the fairing to mount these.
I did not install axle sliders.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,649 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Which SatNav are you using? I didnít even know there was a mounting plate on the battery cover so thank you for that. I am trying to cover a few things before the bike gets here so I am ready to go but I will just have to wait on others so I can get my hands on things.

That's my Nav 5.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Craig:

Ha ha. Awesome. I am really enjoying your input and you seem to have worked out a lot of the details that make living with any bike easier.

Is it possible for you to post a pic of you bag connector? You have a single wire from the power distribution box into the tank bag which then splits to 3? Or is it a single lighter type socket you plug a three outlet tail into?

I will be doing bags and power distribution in February and want to get it right on as few tries as is possible.

As I am currently in South America (Surinam) for business, I'm limited in what I can do here. I think I pointed to some pics earlier, from my website at www.cjcphoto.net. (Scroll down to the K1300s pics). I had a mechanic install some plugs in the fairing panel:

Now, there is nothing fancy about my 'system'. There are some small bags out there that plug into a special lock mounted around the gas cap which also provide power into the bag. I just have a wire running from one of the above plugs into a 3-way cigarette lighter socket strip that I plug my radar detector into, plus a USB power outlet to charge my phone.

If you look real closely at this picture, you'll see the wire going from the bag under the left handlebar to the left-side plug.

You can see the wire also in this pic:
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 AM
Shooting the gap

The Eagle has landed! Ha ha

Just had the bike delivered to my home a few days ago. With the exception of a few seat scuffs, it looks to be brand new! I will get to work on it soon.

The 600 mile service was performed. I had the oil changed and the brake fluid flushed per the 2 year BMW recommendation on that. It is now fully up on required maintenance and ready to ride.

The stock Metzler Sportec M3ís are still on there and look well. I will run them out before my trip this Summer. I purchased a set of of Pirelli Angel GT ďAĒ specs already for their replacement.

I purchased the BMW rear luggage rack, Grip Puppies, Rowe Electronics Amplink, some Carbon bits, a new battery, a Pitbull stand, kickstand foot enlarger and Skeneís front and rear auxiliary lights. Currently looking for a rear bag, tank bag and GPS.

This is my first BMW and I purchased the bike without seeing it in person so I am quite happily surprised by my particular bikeís pristine condition but especially so by the level of detail and workmanship BMW put into the Motorsports Edition. The machining of the HP bits is really impressive but also the fit and finish, fasteners, and paint. The forged aluminum HP wheels have to seen in person. I also like the laser etched Akropovic logo, and the carbon protector on the exhaust. The duolever is an interesting touch and had me reading about Norman Hossack, his designs and their advantages. My first shaft drive as well. Itís no Ducati on styling but still a very good looking bike.

Finally. Great sounds from the motor and Akropovic. I have not owned an in-line 4 since my GSXR-750. Almost sounds like gear driven cams? I donít remember this bike having those so not sure where that whine comes from but sounds good. Love how lit ďpopsĒ on start up. The exhaust is quieter at idle than I expected. dB killer still in place for now. I suspect it wails at higher revs. Almost took it out for a short ride at 18f but there is still quite a lot of icy patches on the roads here in Minnesota. Be a shame to damage it due to impatience.

As always, thanks for reading and your input.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Twisted Wrister

Initially I was concerned about the small size of the sidestand foot, but it's proven to be OK for me for 4 years. Like every motorcycle I've owned, I simply never point the bike downhill when on the sidestand (or the centerstand for that matter), and I've never had an issue.

My original concern was sinking into hot asphalt here in Phoenix, but it's not happened yet. No sidestand foot for me. If I see soft asphalt though, I'll use the centerstand just to be sure.

As for the rear bag, the BMW small Softbag is a winner. Fits easily, is the right size, is easy to remove and replace, and even my passengers like it when it's got something in it to stiffen as a backrest.

To bad you're in such weather. Be sure the ABS symbol is 'off' when you go for a ride there. That means the system is turned on as the symbol is really a warning symbol. I had that backwards when I got mine, and I rode it in 'raw mode' until the 600 mile service. Lucky there was no ice here in Phoenix to worry about. But without that feature activated, no abs and no wheelie control either. The bike will definitely pick up the front wheel in first gear if you nail it with a passenger.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
The bike will definitely pick up the front wheel in first gear if you nail it with a passenger.

Oh and how! I had the Wifey on the back, w/Corbin Seat Backrest, when the front wheel began to paw the sky. Whoa Killa! Thankfully She's a German and understands all about High Performance Vehicles (Volle Kraft voraus!).

Also note, the Throttle Bellcrank is prevented from rotating to Maximum position by a Solenoid in 1st thru 3rd gears. Some have put in spacers on the Solenoid mount to move it out of the way thus allowing Maximum Throttle in the lower 3 gears.

After I put on the Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler, mine will loft the front wheel in 1st gear w/Full Throttle. Something it never did with the OEM Boat Anchor (um...Muffler). Oh, and I've never turned off the Traction Control.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Z-Technik Smoked Shield. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

K13Msport,

Check out the Givi- XS316 XStream 35L rear tail bag
I have that bag and love it, the colors match our hard bags very nicely. Plenty large enough without over kill. I love the small side pockets and the top pocket to get to things very easily when stopping for fuel or what have you.
There is a smaller 20L version as well.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Old 01-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Currently looking for a rear bag, tank bag and GPS.

I'm also somewhat interested in GPS, but the motorcycle-specific ones seem too expensive. The problem I have with the cheap ones is that none of them seem to have an audio jack so I can't somehow put it in the tank bag and hear instructions from it via my helmet speakers.

As for the rear bag, here are a couple of shots of the BMW Softbag (small).

Old 01-19-2019, 09:33 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Craig,
Thatís a nice looking bag I never saw that one, that matches our hard bags nicely too! all the ones I saw where silver.
Not sure what that one costs, but the Givi is $160.00
Old 01-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
K13Msport,

Check out the Givi- XS316 XStream 35L rear tail bag
I have that bag and love it, the colors match our hard bags very nicely. Plenty large enough without over kill. I love the small side pockets and the top pocket to get to things very easily when stopping for fuel or what have you.
There is a smaller 20L version as well.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will take a look at that bag.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:02 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I'm also somewhat interested in GPS, but the motorcycle-specific ones seem too expensive. The problem I have with the cheap ones is that none of them seem to have an audio jack so I can't somehow put it in the tank bag and hear instructions from it via my helmet speakers.

I am looking at the Garmin590LM. It is expensive but built for motorcycles. Maybe this is a buy once cry once situation unfortunately. Cheaper models are not much cheaper and offer less functionality than an iPhone.

This has a 5Ē display accessible with gloves on. The Bluetooth allows pairing with your phone and a Bluetooth compatible helmet speaker/ microphone so that you can control the GPS, make phone calls and receive live updates of traffic and weather via the phone being connected to your GPS through an App and also connected to your helmet. It also is also waterproof and UV proof. Most of the negatives have to do with screen color, resolution or brightness. It probably has a lot of junk in there I will never use but it checks the most important boxes on my list. It also allows you to see hotels and gas stations and tourist sites and many other things too for on-the-road planning. Lifetime map upgrades too.

I am also looking into using a small iPad in the tank bag since I already have one sitting around. It would have to be in a clear, waterproof compartment but I know from experience that baking in the sun is not good for iPads or iPhones either.

I had no idea a motorcycle GPS was still so expensive.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
As for the rear bag, here are a couple of shots of the BMW Softbag (small).

Craig: Do you have the BMW part number for that bag?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

google "bmw small tail bag". lots of sources, including amazon.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 01-19-2019, 10:22 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,108 Posts

There was one for sale in the classifieds.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I think your talking about the one Bruce is Selling!
His looks all silver! He still has it listed in the classifieds!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

I don't, but it should show up in the BMW catalog.

The large and small bags used to come in that dreadful silver, but both bags were redone in the colors I show. I think the change happened in or about 2014. I bought my bike in October 2014, and there were both models in stock at the time. After the silver ones sold I never saw one again, so I assume it was a model transition.

Same bag, same price, different look.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 AM
Is considering the Gay lifestyle!

Send a message via Skype™ to guitarian

Quote:
I am looking at the Garmin590LM. It is expensive but built for motorcycles. Maybe this is a buy once cry once situation unfortunately. Cheaper models are not much cheaper and offer less functionality than an iPhone.

This has a 5Ē display accessible with gloves on. The Bluetooth allows pairing with your phone and a Bluetooth compatible helmet speaker/ microphone so that you can control the GPS, make phone calls and receive live updates of traffic and weather via the phone being connected to your GPS through an App and also connected to your helmet. It also is also waterproof and UV proof. Most of the negatives have to do with screen color, resolution or brightness. It probably has a lot of junk in there I will never use but it checks the most important boxes on my list. It also allows you to see hotels and gas stations and tourist sites and many other things too for on-the-road planning. Lifetime map upgrades too.

I have used a Garmin 550 for about 10 years. In September I wanted to upgrade to the 595. It looked like a big improvement. It was just the opposite.
The most disappoint thing was the screen. I assumed that because it is designed for a bike that it would be a bright screen and easy to read. I could not have been more wrong. In bright sunlight it was impossible to see the map. It almost totally washes out. I had read reviews by users about this but figured they must be wrong. They weren't. Garmin tech support offered to send me another one but eventually the support rep said they have a lot of complaints about brightness. I will try to post a photo later, but I set up the 550 at 30% brightness beside the new 595 at 100% brightness . The 550 blew away the 595. To Garmin's credit, they let me return it for a full refund.
One other negative for me is the cable to hardwire to your bike. The 550 has a single cable that is easy to wire to a fuse box on the bike. I have this on 2 of my bikes and can easily switch the cradle to whatever bike I use by plugging/unplugging it.
The 595 has a permanently wired cradle and a huge dongle with about 4 cables and plugs that can't be removed. This means I would have to have a separate wiring harness and cradle for each bike. For me, the dongle is completely useless because I would never use the extra accessory plugs.
I don't believe that Garmin designers ever asked any motorcycle riders what they wanted in a GPS or they would not have released this $600+ unit.
Unfortunately, there are a ton of really cool features on the 595. Too bad the negatives outweigh those.
YMMV
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'guitarian' for this post:
Old 01-23-2019, 11:11 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
I don't, but it should show up in the BMW catalog.

The large and small bags used to come in that dreadful silver, but both bags were redone in the colors I show. I think the change happened in or about 2014. I bought my bike in October 2014, and there were both models in stock at the time. After the silver ones sold I never saw one again, so I assume it was a model transition.

Same bag, same price, different look.

Found lots of images and videos on the web. Just google BMW Softbag 3 Small. Here's one from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/MOTORRAD-SOFT.../dp/B00VKTHJZY
Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Found lots of images and videos on the web. Just google BMW Softbag 3 Small. Here's one from Amazon:

there is an echo in here....
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarian
I have used a Garmin 550 for about 10 years. In September I wanted to upgrade to the 595. It looked like a big improvement. It was just the opposite.
The most disappoint thing was the screen. I assumed that because it is designed for a bike that it would be a bright screen and easy to read. I could not have been more wrong. In bright sunlight it was impossible to see the map. It almost totally washes out. I had read reviews by users about this but figured they must be wrong. They weren't. Garmin tech support offered to send me another one but eventually the support rep said they have a lot of complaints about brightness. I will try to post a photo later, but I set up the 550 at 30% brightness beside the new 595 at 100% brightness . The 550 blew away the 595. To Garmin's credit, they let me return it for a full refund.
One other negative for me is the cable to hardwire to your bike. The 550 has a single cable that is easy to wire to a fuse box on the bike. I have this on 2 of my bikes and can easily switch the cradle to whatever bike I use by plugging/unplugging it.
The 595 has a permanently wired cradle and a huge dongle with about 4 cables and plugs that can't be removed. This means I would have to have a separate wiring harness and cradle for each bike. For me, the dongle is completely useless because I would never use the extra accessory plugs.
I don't believe that Garmin designers ever asked any motorcycle riders what they wanted in a GPS or they would not have released this $600+ unit.
Unfortunately, there are a ton of really cool features on the 595. Too bad the negatives outweigh those.
YMMV

Thank you for this! Saved me $700 and a lot of time. Really. This is the kind of thing you just canít get researching online at the vendor websites. Iíll keep searching. I may explore further using an iPad mini in a clear, waterproof case on top of the tank.

Anybody have any recommendations of the units currently for sale? Bluetooth, weather, hotels and gas would be nice. Thanks all.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

Thanks Craig! Got it on order.
I have been in Europe and Asia for two weeks and I know you have been traveling too.

Skene P3 lights, front and rear, just arrived. It is -9f here so installation of all these things has to wait a bit.

Now trying to find a small tank bag that will hold some electronics and miscellaneous small items but doesnít look like a small child riding on the tank. SW Motech makes quite a few but itís hard to judge actual sizes from website information.

Also, for you guys storing your bikes for the Winter, are you using front and rear stands? If so, what make? I have a Pitbull stand for the rear.........fantastic but they are expensive. I am looking for a front stand now. May just have to get the matching Pitbull.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle
there is an echo in here....

Really? With all your experience, this is what you are adding to the conversation?

All. I disagreed with this person on a separate issue..... seems as though it now wants to follow me around now yipping like a small dog. Well then, it’s not what I would call a life but if it makes you happy......snipe away.

I am all ears if you have something to say about living with the K1300S. Otherwise, move along please.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Thank you for this! Saved me $700 and a lot of time. Really. This is the kind of thing you just canít get researching online at the vendor websites. Iíll keep searching. I may explore further using an iPad mini in a clear, waterproof case on top of the tank.

Anybody have any recommendations of the units currently for sale? Bluetooth, weather, hotels and gas would be nice. Thanks all.

Just a couple of words of caution here. I've tried to use my cell phone a few times for GPS, and I ran into a bunch of issues. I have an Android Galaxy 7, in an Otter case. T-Mobile.

1. If you are out of towns in the west, and you don't have Verizon, there is a very big chance you won't have any cell phone signal. That means you don't get maps with your GPS as they are normally downloaded on-demand. Workaround: use offline maps, which you need to download ahead of time.
2. MY cellphone would not work (long) when stuck in the map pocket of my tank bag. It pretty quickly overheated, which isn't unexpected in the Arizona summer. Except it also happened during the spring, when temps were a mild 90f or so. Also, the screen went dark on me as a result of the overheating, and it didn't come back for several minutes after removing it from the tank bag.
3. Sound management: I have the CRS system (bluetooth) in my Schubert helmet which allows me to talk to my passenger. Or my Sena bluetooth transmitter (with a jack for radar detector and another for cell phone/gps). Problem here is I can only listen to one at a time. If I have the radar detector set as primary, I here it until my passenger starts talking. Then the helmet (slowly) switches over to the voice channel, and I can talk until the radar detector goes off or I manually switch back. Problem is that the switch takes 3-5 seconds at best, at which time the radar alert is too late.

I don't have a good workaround for this issue, though it only happens when I ride with a passenger. But the same thing could happen if you have two bluetooth sending devices - you really need a dual-channel receiver to handle this. Alternatively some sort of sound mixer that you feed all inputs through (which wouldn't work for the helmet-helmet communications). You also don't really want a wire going into your helmet if you can avoid it, and you definitely don't want a wire going right to a pair of earphones (as they want to pull out every time you put your helmet on).

As for a GPS model to use, I haven't found any current one I can recommend, simply because I can't find any with a headphone jack so I can hook it up to my bluetooth transmitter so I can hear directions in my helmet speakers. I don't want to have to rely on looking down constantly to use the GPS in traffic. I do like Garmin GPS in general as they have a well-sorted-out user interface, and you can cheaply get one with lifetime updates.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Well then. I havenít looked into any option really closely but I may have to soon. I mistakenly thought this part of the adventure had been already well sorted for me. I will start researching.
I would like to be able to navigate, get weather and traffic, hotels and gas stations and be able to receive phone calls and nav alerts via Bluetooth. Maybe radar alerts as well.

Is that too much to ask? Ha ha
Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Well then. I havenít looked into any option really closely but I may have to soon. I mistakenly thought this part of the adventure had been already well sorted for me. I will start researching.
I would like to be able to navigate, get weather and traffic, hotels and gas stations and be able to receive phone calls and nav alerts via Bluetooth. Maybe radar alerts as well.

You're going to have to engineer something for all this. Definitely look into sound mixers. Aerostich has a couple of options there:
https://www.aerostich.com/mix-it2-multiplexer.html
That one combies four audio signals into one output. I assume you take the output and feed into a bluetooth transmitter to a receiver and speakers in your helmet.

I use a Sena bluetooth transmitter that can mix three inputs AND has two bluetooth output channels. The two channels assume one for the rider and one for the passenger to listen to music. It does not send two different output streams to different bluetooth channels. I have two bluetooth receivers in my helmet, but I can only listen to one of those at a time also, and a passenger talking can override my radar detector input.

Of course that assumes that you a) have an audio output for each device and b) want to hear things as opposed to see things (alert lights). Here is an option to see the radar detector go off:
https://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-uti...ual-alert.html

Here is a nifty iphone holder for the handlebars:

]https://www.aerostich.com/bike-mount-weathercase.html

Ultimately, if you bluetooth to your speakers, you need to mix inputs or choose one at a time. Or get two methods of signaling into your helmet.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Craig,
I have a question maybe you can help me out with,
I use my iPhone for GPS and pandora to listen to music occasionally while on a long trip, I have an older version of the Scala Rider, I do not talk or receive phone calls, in fact I even removed the mic, I don’t want to talk while I ride, anyways my phone was the iPhone 5S and with the Scala Rider the blue tooth worked flawlessly, if I was listening to music and the GPS gave me a direction the music would mute automatically and you can hear the GPS. Last fall I upgraded my iPhone to the 8, now the music still works flawlessly just as before but now the GPS does not go through the speakers in my helmet anymore, never, not even by itself, I don’t understand why this is?
Can you please enlighten me as to what I may need to do, thank you.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Craig,
I have a question maybe you can help me out with,
I use my iPhone for GPS and pandora to listen to music occasionally while on a long trip, I have an older version of the Scala Rider, I do not talk or receive phone calls, in fact I even removed the mic, I donít want to talk while I ride, anyways my phone was the iPhone 5S and with the Scala Rider the blue tooth worked flawlessly, if I was listening to music and the GPS gave me a direction the music would mute automatically and you can hear the GPS. Last fall I upgraded my iPhone to the 8, now the music still works flawlessly just as before but now the GPS does not go through the speakers in my helmet anymore, never, not even by itself, I donít understand why this is?
Can you please enlighten me as to what I may need to do, thank you.

I thought I had replied, but my system crashed about then so...

This is odd. I assume you are doing everything with the phone - music, gps and bluetooth with no other helping devices/mixers/transmitters. Thus the music AND gps share a single bluetooth output .

If the iphone doesn't send gps audio via bluetooth even when no music is playing, it sounds like there is the issue.

There are places I would look for a setting, whether it be playing sound over bluetooth or some sort of priority scheme that never lets gps take center stage. But perhaps the easiest way to approach this is to call an Apple Store or Apple support, and let them work the issue.

I googled a bit on this, and I see the Androids have a setting (play sound over bluetooth) and so does Google Maps, so there may be an iPhone setting.

According to the following URL, it doesn't look hard to get this to work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204242

"Manage your Navigation Voice settingsFirst, pair your iPhone or iPad to your car or Bluetooth accessory. Then follow these steps to manage your Navigation Voice settings when youíre getting turn-by-turn directions:
  1. Open Maps on your iPhone or iPad and enter your destination.
  2. After you tap , Maps will start turn-by-turn navigation. Tap to open the Route Card.
  3. Tap Audio.
  4. Tap the volume level that you want for Navigation Voice.
  5. Swipe up on the Route Card to choose which output you want the Navigation to play from.
You can also control settings to pause the audio during navigation or control the audio outputfrom your iPhone or iPad. When audio plays, the audio output can only be managed from Control Center on your iPhone or iPad."

I note there is a setting to override Spoken Audio, but it doesn't apply to music.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:01 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Well then. I haven’t looked into any option really closely but I may have to soon. I mistakenly thought this part of the adventure had been already well sorted for me. I will start researching.

I've mentioned before that I use a Sena for Bluetooth. Some comments on this. First off, I am using a Sena SM10.
https://www.sena.com/product-comparison-others

This looks interesting.

https://www.sena.com/product/10s

I will have to look into this statement:

"AUDIO MULTITASKING™ NOW AVAILABLE WITH NEW FIRMWARE The 10S now includes Audio Multitasking™, which allows you to listen to two audio sources at once. You can have conversations through the intercom while streaming music, listening to the FM radio or listening to GPS instructions at the same time and more. Download the newest firmware to take advantage of this functionality."

OK, I think I can already listen to two audio streams at once, except I haven't done it via Sena. I'm pretty sure the intercom being discussed is a Sena intercom. I have the CRS system from Schuberth, and it uses a second bluetooth channel for the intercom, and there is no way to blend the sounds together. Instead I have the problematic delay when switching back and forth. (Loud sounds like a person speaking or a radar detector alert are supposed to cause the helmet to switch from one bluestream channel to the other, but it can take several seconds. This is where I lose my radar detector functionality, even though the sound is piped through the Sena to my helmet.

If you do not have to worry about a second channel or intercom, you're almost home free. All you need to do is ensure that all of your output devices have audio jacks, and then just hook them through the Sena. It's the GPS I worry about. If using a phone to do everything, I think you have a problem integrating the radar detector. If you use a Sena, then you should be able to hook GPS and Music phone output to the Sena and let it do audio mixing and bluetooth for you.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Craig,
You are the man
I do use google maps not the iphone maps, after checking what you recommended I think I had the microphone off, I clicked on the microphone on the google maps app and it took me to settings where I turned it on, I then checked the setting on google maps app to make sure the play voice over Bluetooth was on, it was, plugged it into the headset to test, it works!! Thank you!!!!!! You are the MAN!!