I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Exclamation Should I buy?

Hello All, This is my first post so please bare with me. I have an opportunity to buy a 2004 K1200RS with 34000 miles and the asking price is $4500. The first time I went and looked at it it was raining so I was not able to test ride, I did however start and run through all the gears and all is as it should be no unusual sounds/noises. No leaks, nothing broken. Today I went by for a test ride. The Brake light was flashing as all my previous BMW's had but the light normally goes out after front/rear brake application check or min. speed obtained. This bikes brake light does not go out. Having many years of mechanical experience and 10+ with BMW's I start lookinh for obvious problems. The brakes act as if the power brake booster as in a car is not assisting. the brakes work but tremendous effort is required. MY 2004 R1150RT has Servo assist, I do not know about this bike, I do know it is an ABS model though. The front brake lever operates the front brake and the foot lever operates the rear brake. Brake fluid level is correct in the 2 reservoirs. My older 1987 K100 would not extinguish the flashing brake light unless the front and rear brake levers are each operated. I did notice the rear brake light does not come on when either the front or rear lever is operated. I did verify the bulb is good.

Long story, I know, the reason for it is, the seller is wanting to clear this bike out of his garage, no lack of bikes or money so he asked me whar I would offer in the state it is in because he has had the local dealer work on this issue when he bought the bike and it worked up until 3 months ago and hasn't been ridden since. I offered $1500 for the bike in the condition it is in with the agreement we will both sleep on the issue, I will research if this still leaves me room to correct the issue and he will contact the dealer about support. Since he bought it used less than 1 year ago, he is not enccouraged the dealer will be supportive.

Any thought's or concerns would be appreciated. I really like this bike otherwise and am not afraid to do my own work and invest a reasonable amount to repair, just don't want to be upside down when I finish.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Re: Should I buy?

The '04 is a good year to own. I had one and was very happy with it.

It sounds like a switch from the rear brake is not working, although my knowledge is very limited. If true, that would cause the error.

Pending a better answer from any of the esteemed K brick minds here, I think your offer is fair given there is no answer as to the problem.

$4500 is probably fair market for a bike in good working order, and your offer protects you well if you were to attempt repair. The ABS module on that bike may not be repairable by a vendor we know here, but you could always disable the ABS in the meantime. The front and rear should also be linked to the front lever.

The mileage sounds reasonably good, as it pertains to keeping the seals lubricated given its age.

Someone more knowledgeable will come along shortly and help better than I have.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Twisted Wrister

$1500 is a fair price for a RS with a bad ABS pump I think. The parts are quite expensive and a not an easy exchange. At this price you can just remove the ABS and have regular brakes. A lot of effort though.

Make sure you look carefully for leaks at the seam of engine and transmission.

Also check the play in the rear end. Most of the other stuff can be dealt with on a budget.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsexauer
The front brake lever operates the front brake and the foot lever operates the rear brake.

Actually, if operating properly, applying the front, also applies a bit to the rear. The rear operates the rear only.

What does the fluid look like? (Probably hard to tell just looking @ the master cylinder(s)).

The only real way to tell if the servo assist system is indeed toast, would be for a complete fluid flush & battery disconnect/reconnect & then, key on, twist the throttle open,close 3-4 times to reset the TPS, key off, then back on, then wait for blinking brake light self test to stop flashing, then start, then ride to see if the sensor light goes off.

Can you hear the pump motors functioning when applying each controls? (ie; a whining sound, building up pressure in the system?)

For $1,500....snag it..

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 07-27-2017, 12:47 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,209 Posts

Yes, repair at the dealer is over 2500$, Idaho Modual masters is coming in line in September for about 750. Or a bypass. But it is for sure something to consider. Your offer is fair for ABS problems, maybe even a good deal. As mentioned it could (but unlikely) be simple brake switch, wire problem or sensor problem. These bikes with the servo brake system take a bit of getting used to when riding. They have idiosyncrasies.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:04 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I am starting to lean in favor of purchasing for the $1500 offer.
Idid not notice the sound of the servo pump as my 2004 R1140RT sounds, so that servo pump is an assist, like the vacum booster pump on cars.
No noticable play in the rear end.
For what it's worth, I did remove the front reservoir cover and looked at the fluid and it looks bad, uniformly dark, definetly something I would have flushed. the rear reservoir looks good from the outside, I did not remove the cover so it is hard to say for sure.Now I have a few more questions since I will be without a bike until I have this one back in shape.
1. I did inspect the seam between the engine and transmission and it is completly dry but I did notice the "paint"/powder coat on the right side is starting to bubble from beneath the paint, what I would assume is corrosion on a 14 year old bike since the mating surfaces are probably machined?
2. Is there a thread on the "ABS" elimination, and I assume there would be additional hoses to purchase? I would also assume that this would be a good time to replace rubber hoses for braided stainless steel.
3. Is there a thread to diagnois the ABS? It is sounding to me that this servo pump is the heart of the ABS, so with it eliminated are the brakes too hard to operate? As I mentioned in my original post they stop but with great effort required
Old 07-27-2017, 11:48 AM

The two reservoirs you looked at are the "control" circuits, there are two more reservoirs in the ABS unit under the tank called "wheel" circuits. Do a search (advanced search) for "servo brakes" and you will have some reading. That black brake fluid is a solid clue, not much more exploring is needed. It is difficult to bleed the wheel circuit without the pump able to run. I'm personally not sure how it would be done but someone here will have a plan. Those brakes benefit from a regularly scheduled bleed plan, which is much more often than once and a while. I think at 1500 you and the owner will be in a good position.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:53 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

The K-12rs is a great bike, a real work horse with a turbine feel to it.
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 07-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsexauer
the rear reservoir looks good from the outside, I did not remove the cover so it is hard to say for sure.

There's 2 chambers in that back reservoir, make sure to check both.
You may get lucky and one of those chambers is low or the battery may be weak.
A weak battery can cause servo problems.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:23 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

At 1500 you could probably turn a profit parting it out if all else fails
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Should I buy?

Just a quick update guys, first of all thanks for all the responses, I can really appreciate the depth of knowledge available here.

I bought the bike for $1000 and trailered it home in the rain. Unloaded the bike in the garage and wiping down the rain and giving it a general once over. The first thing I noticed on the bike when I first laid eyes on it was the rear brake pedal appeared bent, owner had no knowledge of what or why. While wiping doewn the lever I get a close up look and discover it is bent, the paint is cracked at the bend. Further examination reveals the micro switch lever is not contacting the adjuster bolt on the brake lever. Light bulbs go off in my head and I straighted the micro switch lever to correctly contact the bolt, turn the key on and the brake light is no longer flashing 4k. More light bulbs go off, I gear up and head out, at 3 mph the light goes off, I grab a handful of brake and everthing functions as it should. What a great day !! 3 hours later I am grinning ear to ear, what a great ride.

Since we have not transfered the title, I must now go back to the seller and confess to the cure and renegotiate the sale price. I have every confidence we will be able to agree on a reasonable sale price.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rsexauer' for this post:
Lee
Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Congratulations on things working out so well. You have checked for oil (O ring issue) and the ABS is working. Check the shocks thoroughly and the three major $$$ issues have been addressed. Have been extremmely happy since 2005 (2004 leftover) with my GT.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:10 PM

Well, if your fess up about the easy fix your Karma bank will be topped up with good stuff. You have a great bike and fun ahead, even with any future repairs it is a good machine.
S1000R
Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Getting up to speed

I think both you and the seller agreed on a price based on the unknown condition of the bike at "the handshake". I don't believe you are under any legal or even moral obligation to renegotiate a different price for the bike. You took a risk and it paid off. Would the seller have further reduced he price had you gotten the bike home and found more issues with the bike? I think not. Really glad things worked out for you. Do a good fish and brake line upgrade. Also check the date stamp on the tires and if they are more than 4 years old get rid of them regardless of how much tread is left. Ride on!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Aggie86' for this post: