I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-26-2017, 12:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Transmission and Final Drive oils for 03 k1200RS

I'm going to be dumping and inspecting my transmission and final drive oils soon, and am wondering what the consensus is on oil for the transmission and final drive. Is it recommended to go synthetic in both and should I use 75W-140 for the transmission? The owners manual states a brand name hypoid gear oil API class GL 90. Not sure if they mean 80-90 or??

I have a couple quarts of Castrol Limiited Slip 80W-90 API GL5 gear oil, and am wondering if that;s good enough for the transmission. It akso states Castrol EPX(?) 90/SAE 90 API for the final drive.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Postmeister

Re: Transmission and Final Drive oils for 03 k1200RS

i use Mobil-1 of the weight BMW recommends....and NOT one with L/S additives.......have no idea if they hurt or not just not taking the chance...now, if I had a clutch type L/S differential............
Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,209 Posts

75W90, GL5 rated, most use synthetic.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:18 PM
Getting up to speed

I noticed BMW doesn't call out for synthetic. I have heard that people who switch to synthetic develop leaks, is that not the case? I want to do what works best for the bike, but if it's not necessary, then I won't buy it.

Cheers
Old 09-27-2017, 02:32 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclava
I noticed BMW doesn't call out for synthetic. I have heard that people who switch to synthetic develop leaks, is that not the case? I want to do what works best for the bike, but if it's not necessary, then I won't buy it.

Cheers
I run synthetic with no problems at all.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by viclava

Cheers

There are more lies told about synthetic oils than anything other than TRUMP and the RUSSIANS....none of it is true...it is not slicker...it does not kill your gaskets or seals.....it does not prevent rings from seating or ball/roller bearings from turning....what it does do is provide a more stable lubrication over a wider temp range and flow much better when cold....the grease will not wash out of bearings either.....
Old 09-27-2017, 09:51 PM
Thanked 1,438 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike6
it does not prevent rings from seating .....

3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

From Power news magazine

I have to disagree with you on this point my understanding is that synthetics have a very high shear strength that prevents the rings from making contact with the bore wall and therefore they can't bed in properly.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 AM
ōZNAM
Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,474 Posts

My dealer recommended getting 10,000 miles on the bike before switching to synthetic. I did and it never burns any oil.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 AM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

From Power news magazine

I have to disagree with you on this point my understanding is that synthetics have a very high shear strength that prevents the rings from making contact with the bore wall and therefore they can't bed in properly.

Then you should call Porsche, GM, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and every other automobile manufacturer in the world...and call EXXON-MOBIL and tell their engineers that they do not know what the hell they are doing seeing as they put synthetic in new engines...and the MOBIL engineer who led the project for Mopbil-1 said using it in a new engine or transmission is fine...and all DEXRON-VI is full synthetic ATF
Old 09-28-2017, 09:46 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

A little research for the OP?I never used the "limited slip"version of the Castrol GL5 but from some quick searches the "limited slip" version is fine in both conventional and limited slip rear ends and can be used in all gearboxes.

I'd use it. BTW....Castrol products? Hardly ever used anything else on all motorcycles in 44 yrs of riding.Steady diet of 20w50 dino for the K?Just about 240,000 kms and no issues.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
A little research for the OP?I never used the "limited slip"version of the Castrol GL5 but from some quick searches the "limited slip" version is fine in both conventional and limited slip rear ends and can be used in all gearboxes.

I'd use it. BTW....Castrol products? Hardly ever used anything else on all motorcycles in 44 yrs of riding.Steady diet of 20w50 dino for the K?Just about 240,000 kms and no issues.

Knew a guy 15 years back who rode an 800RT....20/50 Castrol.....350,000 miles....now..he did not beat the bike....but he did have 350,000 and counting....have not seen him in years...I'll have to check with Harris down on John's Island to see if he is still around/
Old 09-29-2017, 09:15 PM

[i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61
Then you should call Porsche, GM, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and every other automobile manufacturer in the world...and call EXXON-MOBIL and tell their engineers that they do not know what the hell they are doing seeing as they put synthetic in new engines...and the MOBIL engineer who led the project for Mopbil-1 said using it in a new engine or transmission is fine...and all DEXRON-VI is full synthetic ATF

From Ash on bikes
‘‘...This comes from the highest authority, Castrol, who would love you to buy the company’s expensive synthetic oils...
This is why the Castrol boys know what they're talking about
Peter Brett says that they’ve discovered synthetic oils actually interfere with running in, for reasons which go beyond their low friction properties - there also seems to be a chemical process happening which hinders it. “Although you can treat an engine as fully run in after 500 miles, surface stabilisation continues for at least the first 5,000 miles of an engine’s life,” he says. “Synthetic oils actively prevent this from happening, and not simply by holding friction surfaces apart, although we still don’t know exactly why and how this happens. But there’s no doubt they inhibit the process itself. So the consequence of using a synthetic too early is your engine will never run in properly. I would even suggest waiting until 10,000 miles (16,000km) before using it in most engines subjected to normal use. Until then, you’re best to use an inexpensive but branded mineral oil.”

Perhaps you could make few phone calls yourself

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 09-29-2017, 11:03 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
[i]

From Ash on bikes
ĎĎ...This comes from the highest authority, Castrol, who would love you to buy the companyís expensive synthetic oils...
Peter Brett says that theyíve discovered synthetic oils actually interfere with running in, for reasons which go beyond their low friction properties - there also seems to be a chemical process happening which hinders it. ďAlthough you can treat an engine as fully run in after 500 miles, surface stabilisation continues for at least the first 5,000 miles of an engineís life,Ē he says. ďSynthetic oils actively prevent this from happening, and not simply by holding friction surfaces apart, although we still donít know exactly why and how this happens. But thereís no doubt they inhibit the process itself. So the consequence of using a synthetic too early is your engine will never run in properly. I would even suggest waiting until 10,000 miles (16,000km) before using it in most engines subjected to normal use. Until then, youíre best to use an inexpensive but branded mineral oil.Ē

Perhaps you could make few phone calls yourself

A 'synthetic' (actually most are BASE-3 stock) have the same coefficient of friction as dino unless one is labeled energy conserving....in which case they have friction modifiers that will cause a wet clutch to slip......and last time I checked BMW bikes have silicone impregnated nickel cylinders and hard chrome rings.....it took me 7000 miles and finally a run down the interstate at 7000rpm in 4th gear until I hit reserve to get the damn things to seat.

If Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Audi and others use it from day one I think it is pretty good to go......and as much as I like GTX, Castrol is running a game on the public with synthetic blends (which only are required to have 1% synthetic oil by volume)...and engineers I have read all say that once you put any dino in synthetic you lose the benefits of the synthetic....I'll stick with Mobil-1 or the new Shell Platinum that is made from natural gas....the kind Ferrari uses in all their cars.

You believe what you want.....I think the guys listed above know what they are doing.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 PM

This was always going to be controversial

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 09-29-2017, 11:30 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

New?High milleage GTX Castrol with less phosphorous to preserve the catalytic converter?

Recommended for vehicles over 75 000 miles?Should I switch?My bike is at close to twice that milleage....!

Same price at Walmart for a Synthetic blend than the regular dino GTX.

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united...Ctf4 QAvD_BwE

Saw that today when stocking up on them new Mobil filters with the synthetic media as opposed to the paper media they were using up to not that long ago.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
[i]

From Ash on bikes
ĎĎ...This comes from the highest authority, Castrol, who would love you to buy the companyís expensive synthetic oils...
Peter Brett says that theyíve discovered synthetic oils actually interfere with running in, .........................
Bull pucky. I guess many auto engineers and our own BMW bike engineers don't agree with Castrol. All bmw's come with syn oil in them new. Time marches on. We all used to use a quart of 30 weight oil every gas fill up in the cars too.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Bull pucky. I guess many auto engineers and our own BMW bike engineers don't agree with Castrol. All bmw's come with syn oil in them new. Time marches on. We all used to use a quart of 30 weight oil every gas fill up in the cars too.

From a motoring journal
Unfortunately, manufacturers don't provide uniform guidance on this issue, so what might be normal for one engine could be excessive for another. For example, BMW tells owners it's normal for some of its engines to burn a quart of oil in less than a thousand miles. In a tip sheet to fleet-vehicle operators, GM says normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle." Other manufacturers say nothing in their owner's manuals about oil consumption, and if you ask what's "normal," the answer you get may depend on whom you talk to.

Iím sure that k12/13s have had oil consumption problems as well but so long as itís consideredínormalí itís ok? BMW may pre load synthetic oil but they also had lifetime final drive oil which was reduced in quantity and subsequently required changing , clutch issues, gearbox issues et al so they donít always get it right. Iíll still go with Peter Brett who was an engineer manager with Castrol for 30 Yearís up until 2011 and was with Lotus prior to that. We pays our money and we makes our choice

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 04:42 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
This was always going to be controversial

Yes, it was, but you have to admit when a thread is controversial you get more data and it might motivate some to actually research the subject instead of taking what anyone on here has to say....that, IMO is good.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:19 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
From a motoring journal
Unfortunately, manufacturers don't provide uniform guidance on this issue, so what might be normal for one engine could be excessive for another. For example, BMW tells owners it's normal for some of its engines to burn a quart of oil in less than a thousand miles. In a tip sheet to fleet-vehicle operators, GM says normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle." Other manufacturers say nothing in their owner's manuals about oil consumption, and if you ask what's "normal," the answer you get may depend on whom you talk to.

Iím sure that k12/13s have had oil consumption problems as well but so long as itís consideredínormalí itís ok? BMW may pre load synthetic oil but they also had lifetime final drive oil which was reduced in quantity and subsequently required changing , clutch issues, gearbox issues et al so they donít always get it right. Iíll still go with Peter Brett who was an engineer manager with Castrol for 30 Yearís up until 2011 and was with Lotus prior to that. We pays our money and we makes our choice

BMW might not always get it right.....like reducing the big end rod bearing size to the point you have to run 60 weight in the M-3......but Mercedes-Benz generally does....and they run synthetic from day one.......but I know someone on this forum knows so much more and has more money, time, resources at their disposal than so the engineers at M-B....kind of like the guys on stereo forums who know more than JBL.....and CROWN.....