I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 PM
Entering the on-ramp

WANTED *** Rhinewest chip for a K1200RS

Help me out guys !! I have an 02 KRS and would love to find me a Rhinewest chip for it. They no longer make them and I have tried finding one, SO .... any of you have one you are not using, selling your bike with one you can pull out and sell to me, OR ??? Help me find one....please. Thanks
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,133 Times in 827 Posts

Re: WANTED *** Rhinewest chip for a K1200RS

I'll keep my eyes open... I saw one on eBay a while back. Not sure if it was the early or late version.

Do make sure if you find one.. it's the right chip for your 2002

The correct chip will say K1200RS V2.a
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 02-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Twisted Wrister

Jerry,
Doesn't he also need to be sure he is getting the adapter piece? As I recall when I got mine from you, the chip alone does not fit but comes with the adapter piece that goes onto the stock board and the chip mounts on that?
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Supporting Vendor

Correctamundo, mon frer.. The Rhinewest chip is/was a two part deal.. I told him this via PM..

This is what you get with the RW chip...(see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Gull
Jerry,
Doesn't he also need to be sure he is getting the adapter piece? As I recall when I got mine from you, the chip alone does not fit but comes with the adapter piece that goes onto the stock board and the chip mounts on that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chip1.jpg (237.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-01-2018, 12:13 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Don't bother looking for a Rhinewest, there are much better solutions and nothing special about that device. You first need to determine what version ECU you have by either lifting the tank and looking at it or connecting with a GS911 analyzer. My suggestion would be to go with the 296 chip which was the last BMW did for the brick. You can also search for John's chip which is the latest aftermarket. If you want to know as much information as possible about the ECU's then read this:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=1022

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 03-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Obviously you've never ridden with a RW chip... You know not of what you speak, sir... Their chip rocked and anyone who had/has one will agree with me... Night and day difference.. Other than going with a more expensive PC and set up on a dyno... there is no better solution. Period.

296 chip? We specialize in these bikes and I've never even heard of it..? John's chip? Who the fuck is John? You don't work for CNN do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
Don't bother looking for a Rhinewest, there are much better solutions and nothing special about that device. You first need to determine what version ECU you have by either lifting the tank and looking at it or connecting with a GS911 analyzer. My suggestion would be to go with the 296 chip which was the last BMW did for the brick. You can also search for John's chip which is the latest aftermarket. If you want to know as much information as possible about the ECU's then read this:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=1022
Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,583 Times in 856 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

I received a beta RW chip for gratis from those guys back in 1998.
It transformed the bike! Still running strong on this now 20 (!) year old bike, actual anniversary is April

Had a bunch of side by side comparisons written up on the old database alluding to the bike pulling and walking away from same year K12s - Jerry prolly recalls those write ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Obviously you've never ridden with a RW chip... You know not of what you speak, sir... Their chip rocked and anyone who had/has one will agree with me... Night and day difference.. Other than going with a more expensive PC and set up on a dyno... there is no better solution. Period.

296 chip? We specialize in these bikes and I've never even heard of it..? John's chip? Who the fuck is John? You don't work for CNN do you?
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,058 Times in 2,899 Posts

Quote:

Jerry the "296" designation was the last of the sequence on the part number of the stock BMW ECU that was included in the build of the last of the brick motor series bikes, and is reputed to be the best stock ECU in the series.

I replaced the "477" ECU that came on my '02 RS with a "296" ECU, install thread here, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60601

And yes the RW chip was the then standard.

John is a guy who programs his own chips and has posted on the site before and at least a few of our members have reported that his stuff does work as advertised.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:50 PM
Supporting Vendor

Ahh yes.. I now remember late in the last production run of those bikes there was an updated ECU that smoothed things out a bit.. I didn't remember the designation. I don't think there were many of those produced. Less than 2000 or so. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the RW chip was not compatible with the 296...That's a shame for those with that updated part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Jerry the "296" designation was the last of the sequence on the part number of the stock BMW ECU that was included in the build of the last of the brick motor series bikes, and is reputed to be the best stock ECU in the series.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:

Sorry Jerry I have to call B.S. on this, you're wrong. Maybe back in the dark ages the RW was of benefit, but technology (and the code) moved on. I still have a copy of the RW code here and I did ride with it, nothing special and harsh on/off throttle compared to the 296. I sold that RW chip a long time ago at a bargain compared to the $300ish rip off price they were going for back in the day, especially considering the blank "one-shot" chip was about $2....

Personally, I thought the RW was a real kludge with that goofy daughter board. All, and I do mean ALL, of these chips are variations of the original BMW code since they all have BMW text strings in them as proof. Do you think anyone can afford to completely reverse engineer BMW's code? Of course not, all anyone is doing is adjusting the fuel map.

Take the time to read the previous link I provided if you want to learn how much we got in to all this......

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

P.S. I still have some programmed 296 chips here and also a box of the erasable 27C512 chips the code goes on to. Problem is I e-wasted the last computer I had with an LPT port the EPROM programmer needed to run on so that's it. Again, time and technology march on....

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 03-01-2018, 10:55 PM
Supporting Vendor

Respectfully... I think your opinion is an anomaly.. One I've never heard before in all my years specializing in the K1200RS.

Guess you didn't hear about the event that many K1200RS owners (including myself) were invited to by ZTechnik years ago in Chicago.. They had a new exhaust and chip on the market and they wanted to test it against every other aftermarket exhaust and software choice on the market thinking they'd best it with their chip/pipe combo and use that info in their upcoming advertising campaign.

As I recall there were (I think).. 8 of us on RSs all with various pipes and few of us had the RW chip.. It took hours to run all the bikes through the dyno runs. Basically the RW chipped bikes crushed all others on the dyno including Z. They were devastated and very pissed. They had spent a lot of $$ to set the test up only to have their asses handed to them on a plate..

FYI.. The RW chip was engineered by hi-end professionals who moved on to tuning performance cars when the economy went all to hell. They are still one of the best tune shops in the country.. or so the car guys tell me. They only stopped making the chips due to the bike being discontinued and demand slowed.. It was state of the art and without a doubt the best addition I ever made to my bike. The extra 10hp was just icing on the cake. I know the 296 didn't give you that! Easily worth the asking price. I think almost everyone who bought one would agree, but if there's anyone here at I-BMW that did NOT love that chip... please speak up and prove me wrong.....

After selling them for years to hundreds of customers.. I can in all honesty say that you are the only one that I've heard of not to like it and that's cool.. I have no dog in this hunt. Even though I sold their product for almost 10 years, my business dealings with them ended on a sour note due to a disagreement on business practices...However.. I have to give them props.. That chip was pretty fucking awesome.

I remember the ethereal smoothness and absolutely perfectly linear powerband.. The most common comment I heard over and over.." It transformed the bike.."... I still have a link up to our customer comments page.. http://pirateslair.net/Chipcomments.htm

As you can see if you read through them.. your experience would appear to be kinda out of the norm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
Sorry Jerry I have to call B.S. on this, you're wrong. Maybe back in the dark ages the RW was of benefit, but technology (and the code) moved on. I still have a copy of the RW code here and I did ride with it, nothing special and harsh on/off throttle compared to the 296. I sold that RW chip a long time ago at a bargain compared to the $300ish rip off price they were going for back in the day, especially considering the blank "one-shot" chip was about $2....

Personally, I thought the RW was a real kludge with that goofy daughter board. All, and I do mean ALL, of these chips are variations of the original BMW code since they all have BMW text strings in them as proof. Do you think anyone can afford to completely reverse engineer BMW's code? Of course not, all anyone is doing is adjusting the fuel map.

Take the time to read the previous link I provided if you want to learn how much we got in to all this......
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 AM
Twisted Wrister

I do believe I might have one of the last RW chips that Pirate had in his inventory for the '03..? Still have the original '03 chip, yet unsure of it's actual BMW "designation". ..NOT gonna pull apart to check the original stickers right now...perhaps the next time I'm in there, will make a note of it.

Didn't ride it with the original installed...got the RW, installed that & then began, so have no real world differences to contribute...

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Entering the on-ramp

So with the RW chip being mostly unavailable, what is the next best alternative?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:00 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimzam
So with the RW chip being mostly unavailable, what is the next best alternative?

As previously stated, 296......

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI