I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,436 Times in 898 Posts

Question Dealership scrambles fairing fasteners...

Without fail, service at the local dealership results in random replacement of the various fairing fasteners.

Last time the bike came back with fasteners that weren't even mine.

Mostly not a big deal, but some have specific uses/locations.

I assume this is common (just like the practice of removing the engine compartment splash shields on cars and tossing them).

What is your experience?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: Dealership scrambles fairing fasteners...

That's pathetic. I put all my fasteners in an ice cube tray, and know what goes where after 3 removals of the tupperware . . and that happened years ago (I've had the bike 16 yrs.).

So a mechanic (or apprentice) better get his together.

I'd be quite upset.

I usually take all my skins off if ever I need the shop to do something I can't do. It gives ME a chance to thoroughly clean and inspect the bike.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:18 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,209 Posts

It's a bummer that they don't care. I'd complain. It would be a general discussion as to car and workmanship. Premium bike deserves some care. If this is representative of work quality what is going on inside the plastic. These are words I'd use with the service writer or better yet the owner. You pay big bucks per hour, you deserve proper service.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Site Contributor

I removed all the black paint off mine more than 14 years ago as they are all stainless under the paint. Bike went into the stealer for what I can't remember, but it came back with mostly black screws. Spotted it straight away and the guy wanted to know what the big issue was...
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
BMW
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Must say I was impressed by my local dealer, I haven't noticed any screws out of place.

For the most part I recommend a independent local for most common servicing (brakes, clutch, coolant, etc.). For instance, when I bring my bike in for same-day servicing I remove the Tupperware myself. Since he services numerous models (honda, suzuki, etc.) I get no complaints.

Enjoy the ride!
See the "Marrakesh Express (Note: Pictures now at bottom of thread):" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=53497

'74 R90/6 -> '76 R90S -> '85 K100RT -> '98 K1200RS
Old 09-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,820 Times in 1,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW

What is your experience?

I've seen the same thing.

The few times I took the K1200RS in I removed the panels before taking the bike to the shop.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 09-17-2018, 01:19 PM
Getting up to speed

I once found the dealer had replaced the fairing fasteners that are just under and in front of the nose of the seat with ones that were too long and with no spacer, so the point of the screws pressed firmly against the plastic petrol tank, by the time I spotted them (which wasn't long thankfully) they had already started to wear a little crater in the plastic of the fuel tank. Could have been interesting over the long term if I hadn't noticed.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'TonyB54' for this post:
BMW
Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Site Contributor

Well CRAP!

Now I have to go back and check all of the fasteners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB54
I once found the dealer had replaced the fairing fasteners that are just under and in front of the nose of the seat with ones that were too long and with no spacer, so the point of the screws pressed firmly against the plastic petrol tank, by the time I spotted them (which wasn't long thankfully) they had already started to wear a little crater in the plastic of the fuel tank. Could have been interesting over the long term if I hadn't noticed.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Site Contributor

I had replaced all of the fasteners with stainless steel.

There are a few stainless left but of the wrong size.

Didn't notice it until this week when I took the engine cowling off myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Kiwi
I removed all the black paint off mine more than 14 years ago as they are all stainless under the paint. Bike went into the stealer for what I can't remember, but it came back with mostly black screws. Spotted it straight away and the guy wanted to know what the big issue was...
Old 09-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Twisted Wrister

That sucks. As far as I can remember, mine have almost always been replaced with the long ones where I believe they should be and the special ones for behind the tank that are for actual threaded receivers have always been where they should be. Occasionally, I have replaced them with new as they age and corrode here on the coast. One time, I was having great difficulty with one and then noted it was a torx style, which would have been a real pain on the road since the torx screws come on newer bikes and we don't have the proper tool in the tool set.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold