I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Getting up to speed

Currently traveling and developed a problem....

Hi guys,
After 620 miles the first day, I noticed that the bike was still rolling in first gear despite the fact that I had the clutch fully pulled in. The bike never came to a complete stop I had to use the break. 2nd day after another 500 miles shifting becomes increasingly harder to do. Fluid is at the top level.
Any idea of what maybe going on here?

Thanks Grommeck,
2010 k1300GT
Old 08-21-2016, 10:43 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,128 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: Currently traveling and developed a problem....

Bleed the clutch.

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 07:11 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

How many miles is on the bike, & what oil is in it? (engine)
Old 08-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for your input guys.
I run Mobil 1 5 -40, the bike has 38k on it
Trying to find a dealer along my route to help me.

Thanks,
Grommeck
Old 08-24-2016, 07:06 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Just did 2500 miles on my new-to-me 2010 K13GT with 22,000 miles to start, two-up, and thankfully had no trouble with the clutch. But just how does one bleed the clutch hydraulics? It's all uphill from the slave cylinder to the clutch lever, so air in the system should bleed out by itself. There is no bleeder valve anywhere (though I'm quite new to this bike and need some education too).

I suspect the trouble lies deeper than just bleeding, but...
Old 08-24-2016, 09:46 PM
Likes "S" bikes

Flyboy has good advise to try bleeding the clutch but remember it uses mineral oil for the fluid.

Other likely causes are a failed master cylinder or a failed slave cylinder. The former is a parking lot repair. The latter requires dealer service help.

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Getting up to speed

I went to a dealer in Lakeville MN and was told that I need a new clutch lever assembly ($427), since there is no repair kit available. They suspect that the rubber seal inside the clutch lever the has a hairline tear. I made it all the way back to the Bay Area in 2.5 days and the bike was running just fine. Now I will deal with my local dealer to order the part #32 72 7 728 851

Does anybody know if this repair has to be done by the dealer or could I do that myself?

Thanks for all your tips & help.

Grommeck
Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hmmm. If the MN dealer is correct the hairline tear in the clutch master cylinder prevents full pressure from getting to the clutch slave, and allows slow release of pressure at the master cylinder. Two things will happen if that's true: the pressure to hold the lever should slowly decrease, and the clutch should slowly release.

Easy to test their assertion two ways. Engine running, shift into first but keep the clutch lever in. If after say 10 seconds the force needed to hold the lever actually decreases, I'm with the dealer. Two, does the clutch actually release during this time, if so the bike should gradually engage first gear and off you go. Ignore that the clutch plates never spin freely so some forward rotation will always happen. If you do this on the centerstand and the rear wheel rotates, grab some brake and see if that stalls the engine. That was always the way to test a clutch from back in the day.

Caveat: I have a basic distrust of the dealer's assertion but perhaps too much so. They could be right. Disassembly might reveal the crack, or you might not see it. We also have to allow that a wet multi-plate clutch will probably never fully release, it's just the nature of the beast as produced by BMW, other bikes with similar clutches will act differently.

Personally, I'm appalled at how clunky the K13GT wet multi-plate clutch is, compared to the dry single-plate clutch of my '85 K100RS, but they are totally different animals and shouldn't be compared. Right. Try telling me that while the K100RS shifts noiselessly in traffic but the K13 most certainly does not.

I realize that this doesn't address your recent question, which was whether anyone has actually disassembled the clutch master. I haven't either, for this bike, though I did it for my K100RS a few years ago, and for other clutch and brake cylinders of many Bimmers. The operating principles are the same and it was never difficult, just messy. NO repair "has to" be done by the dealer, but you haven't offered your opinion of your mechanical skills. To that point, disassembly is up to you and your Plan B if you get stuck, or decide at some point that you're in over your skill level. George above states it's a dealer job, but not why.

Post #7 by Beech in this thread is useful for clutch bleeding: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...t=clutch+bleed The bleeder device from Summit Racing appears to be a cheap version of the MityVac tool.

Edit to my previous post above: further reading shows that there is a port in the clutch slave for a bleeder, P/N 32727695221 as shown on realoem, about $10 plus change for the rubber cap over it that is not installed at delivery. Bleeding might be useful but I cling to the idea that given the lower position of the clutch slave it should self-bleed... unless.... something prevents that.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Shooting the gap

There is NO way I would pay $427 for a part on what sounds like a guess. You need to do more diagnostics. Could be at a clutch cable joint, a $2 oring at the resevoir base, slave cylinder leak. I count 6-8 possibilities off the top of my head. Do you have air in the system, or leaking any mineral oil anywhere? Any residue on the clutch handle? Don't throw that kind of money at it until you are sure. Is the clutch fluid going down at all? Remove the rubber bootie inside to be able to see this. Hydrolic systems are completely closed obviously, any leak has to be going somewhere, it doesn't vanish. If the clutch is not holding pressure you are injecting air or expelling fluid, or both, no other options.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Oops rpeck, there is no clutch cable, clutch actuation is all hydraulic, which you seem to recognize when you note mineral oil hydraulic fluid.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
Oops rpeck, there is no clutch cable, clutch actuation is all hydraulic, which you seem to recognize when you note mineral oil hydraulic fluid.

Yeah, I meant where the hydraulic cables or maybe a better term lines join or screw in. My bad, poor terminology. I forgot that actual cables used to exist for bike clutches
Old 09-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Getting up to speed

This sounds a little like the problem I've been dealing with for the past few years. I experienced clutch grabbing, hard-to-find neutral, and difficulty shifting. HOWEVER, this only occurred when it was hot. I live in Canada, on the West coast, and rarely do the issues occur. It was only when I went to California, where the heat caused my grief.

I've since had it fixed by my dealer.

Initially, I figured it may simply be the clutch. My K1300S has 78,000Km now, so I figured it was due anyway. In the process the dealer found another issue, that *may* have accelerated my clutch wear. It seems that the slave cylinder had worn a "divot", which had reduced my clutch travel, and increased wear. As it happens, they also found that my clutch basket had significant wear, so that was replaced as well.

Replacing the slave cylinder is a relatively cheap fix. The rest will cost you your first born. All of these parts reside in the motherland, so a quick fix may not be in the cards.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

If it is the slave cylinder you might want to consider the Oberon, costs less and sounds like a better quality unit.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Oberon-C...BWT388&vxp=mtr

2007 BMW K1200S
1985 Yamaha RZ350
2009 Buell 1125CR
2009 Hayabusa
2007 Bandit 1250
15yr. dry spell
1988 GSXR 750
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1984 Honda Interceptor
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

1. "Clutch had worn a divot".... Just what is the throw distance of the clutch slave cylinder, that a "divot" could make that much difference?
2. If the problem has now gone away, why fix it?
3. Oberon aftermarket looks nice, use the search for opinions elsewhere, but I see their eBay ad requests customer suggestions for improvement. Sounds a bit like asking for "customer engineering" so they can work it out. Nice that they include a bleed screw (they'd have to) when the bike as new did not.
4. What was the issue claimed by the replacing dealer that led to clutch replacement? Did you get a new factory clutch that is improved in some way and/or there a P/N you can cite? Replacing parts that had a problem with same sounds like an invitation for the problem to recur.

I hope I don't sound overly critical, but I am concerned about my clutch which makes finding neutral if I'm not rollong a real search mission, and like another post above I think the dealer advice given was not up to snuff. I want to see the service dept. as solution finders, not (very expensive) parts replacers.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Same thing happened to my K1300GT (2010) at 30,000 miles. The dealer replaced both the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Under extended warranty. Been fine since then.

Rgds, Dave.