I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Getting up to speed

A little oil on the floor - should I worry ?

My 'new' 2010 K13S has been standing the past 2 weeks. I took it out yesterday and noticed a little oil on the floor under it. Less than 1 inch diameter. Only 3500 miles on it and just serviced a couple of months ago before I picked it up. Should I be concerned ?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Re: A little oil on the floor - should I worry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_e_Mac
My 'new' 2010 K13S has been standing the past 2 weeks. I took it out yesterday and noticed a little oil on the floor under it. Less than 1 inch diameter. Only 3500 miles on it and just serviced a couple of months ago before I picked it up. Should I be concerned ?
Bob:

Yes - you need to locacte where the oil is leaking from. Make sure there is not a lot more oil in the belly pan and that is what dripped out from it.

Check your oil sump drain bolt - see if its coming from there - check the oil filter - one of those may have not been tightened enough.

Could be a few other things - but should be easy to locate from location of oil on floor to the position on the bike.

Be careful - I would not ride the bike until I knew exactly what the source of the leak was and I repaired it.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hi Bob,yes you should be concerned.

Here's something for you to check out.
A couple of years ago I laid my bike up as usual end of NOV anyway I went to my bike mid FEB and noticed a tiny pool of oil near my sidestand needless to say I went all over the bike with a tooth comb but couldn't find a leak.

I called BMW assist as I wasn't happy and the tech was all over the bike but couldn't find where it was coming from.
I did spray my bike with WD 40 on laying it up and put it down to fluid running and pooling on floor.
Anyway to cut to the chase it was the rear shock that was leaking or as the head mechanic at my dealer put it,the shock had s--t its load.It was my dealer that found the problem.

New shock ordered and installed under warranty 1 week later.

Just for your info my bike is non ESA.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

As noted, you should always be concerned even with a drop of oil; there should be NONE.

Now to the solution. Without moving the bike, get under there and see what's right above the puddle, locate the dripping point, and then locate the leaking point with a flashlight and your fingers. My guess is it'll be from either the drain plug or oil filter due to your recent servicing. If you had the cam chain jump guard installed, then it could be from the clutch cover too. Go find out and let us know to give you further instructions. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks so much guys !
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 PM
Getting up to speed

So...turns out it was brake fluid. Cap on the rear reservoir was a little loose. I took the belly pans off and traced it for a day or two. It was such a small amount of fluid on the floor but right under the oil filter I jumped to conclusions. All is good.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:36 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,523 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_e_Mac
So...turns out it was brake fluid. Cap on the rear reservoir was a little loose. I took the belly pans off and traced it for a day or two. It was such a small amount of fluid on the floor but right under the oil filter I jumped to conclusions. All is good.

Good to know. Better to be safe than sorry.
BMW R90S