I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:54 AM
Shooting the gap

Life after motorcycle accident - what's next?

Hello Friends,

As some of you know, I am still trying to recover from accident I had 6 months ago, it seems that it will take much longer than (I have) anticipated, up to 2 years.

While the flashbacks of me lying down the mountain slope are still fresh, I keep on watching motorcycle videos, dream of long trips and new GS next year...

My right wrist was shattered and my left leg is still in 3 pieces as bones are not fusing so we have no clue of what sort of state will I be next year. Still, all I want to is to throw leg over the seat and ride. Am I mad? Is this just cabin fever?

I would be grateful if members share their experiences, surely some of you were in my boots, in similar predicament. What was your next step, when life started to turn back to normal?

Alex
Old 08-14-2018, 07:49 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,582 Times in 631 Posts

Re: Life after motorcycle accident - what's next?

No personal experience but glad to hear that you are thinking about getting back on the bike when you're fully fit again.

Just looked at the video you posted of your off. Something broke or the tyre suddenly deflated to cause that. Did you ever get to the bottom of it?
BMW R90S
Old 08-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage_ZA
Hello Friends,

As some of you know, I am still trying to recover from accident I had 6 months ago... I would be grateful if members share their experiences, surely some of you were in my boots, in similar predicament. What was your next step, when life started to turn back to normal?

Alex
Alex, hopefully it will continue to be fun but it may never be "normal" again. Flying along forested roads will have the occasional thought of deer. Strafing a corner may share a grin with the thought of a slide. Passing an idiot may include a what-if thought. These negative (is reality negative?) intrusions will hopefully be few and far between but the newfound reality of a good day gone bad will always be present.

As long as the fun outweighs the bad keep going. If the balance ever tilts the other way buy a convertible sports car.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,545 Times in 3,223 Posts

Alex:

I as well have no first hand experience as far as really getting hurt in a motorcycle accident. I've been in a few - one I was the pilot and really just bumped into the car in front of me and fell over - hurt pride on that one.

The other one I was the passenger and we hit a car head on at about 60 mph. My friend was seriously injured - almost died a few times. I was the luckiest person on the planet that day - I knew we were going to hit the car and in the split second before we did I stood up - all I could think was I don't want to hit the car - I was launched over the car. I had a 12 inch long scratch from my inner thigh down to my knee - my helmet was held together by the helmet liner - I was wearing construction boots - both of them somehow were not on my feet after the crash. That was it I was perfectly fine physically.

Even though I was not the pilot that experience stayed with me for a long time - then one day I was back to normal - riding felt normal - don't get me wrong I thought about it for a long time but it no longer had any bad hold on me.

I think once you are healed up if your desire is there you as well will slowly find your way back to riding. You will probably never be the same rider you were before the accident - you most likely will be even a smarter rider going forward.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Alex, hopefully it will continue to be fun but it may never be "normal" again. Flying along forested roads will have the occasional thought of deer. Strafing a corner may share a grin with the thought of a slide. Passing an idiot may include a what-if thought. These negative (is reality negative?) intrusions will hopefully be few and far between but the newfound reality of a good day gone bad will always be present.

As long as the fun outweighs the bad keep going. If the balance ever tilts the other way buy a convertible sports car.

Time has a way of providing answers to all of your questions. But, nothing can replace the joy of riding and the satisfaction of doing it well. But, a convertible sports car...that sounds like a good idea!

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,425 Times in 2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
But, a convertible sports car...that sounds like a good idea!
Not all convertible sports cars are created equal. Some are more equal than others!

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Not all convertible sports cars are created equal. Some are more equal than others!

So I here. I think Geo Orwell told me...or was it the internet?