I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Shooting the gap

K1300s slipper clutch conversion.

When I asked all the retailers of slipper clutches NON of them new if the 1200 clutch which they all had in stock were compatible with the 1300, even the manufactures had no idea.
In the end I ordered an STM conversion from an American company as the price was so good, even so I new I couldn't return it if it didn't fit, a $940 gamble.
My friend and I bought two identical 1300ss last March, mine had all the nasty problems that afflict these great bikes, the over run vibration, juddery howling clutch and nasty rattle from the gear above the clutch. All I have found well documented on this forum.
I was dissapointed as I was assured all these problems had been sorted, seems like 50% as Pauls bike is fine........
As BMW say it's all ok I decided to sort it myself, I stripped out the primary gear and clutch basket and set about a program that would get rid of the vibes and sort the clutch as I had already established the vibes were from this area.
I then fitted a Barnet clutch pack and reassembled, vibes gone, clutch judder gone and even under a drag start no howling, so all good.
Slipper clutch turned up a few days ago and stripped it out again last night and fitted same, all very simple, only one potential problem, the new clutch pushrod is a little too long and has the clutch slave cylinder piston almost bottoming out in the cylinder which would cause slip as wear took place, I put a spacer ring on the BMW part and set the travel in the middle of the Pistons stroke.
Road tested extensively today..... The K is now exactly as it should have been, super smooth in all aspects with the added ability to downshift without worrying that the throttle blip didn't happen and leave you with the back wheel juddering (re map couldn't erase this problem).
So my question is this... I'm a retired engineer and I can modify the basket and fit different plates and get rid of the faults.... Why can't BMW?
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 03-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Site Contributor

Re: K1300s slipper clutch conversion.

Excellent work. It's impossible to say why BMW hasnt made similar modifications, except that it probably has to do with their cost/profit model, and that they are not willing to invest in changing the KS. It seems as though they keep producing the KS because there is still a market, albeit a small market, as long as they don't have to change anything. Obviously the mother ship is focused on the RRS, GS, and 1000cc XR and RR; that where the profit is. Congrats on your "new" bike. Enjoy.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengarzy
When I asked all the retailers of slipper clutches NON of them new if the 1200 clutch which they all had in stock were compatible with the 1300, even the manufactures had no idea.
In the end I ordered an STM conversion from an American company as the price was so good, even so I new I couldn't return it if it didn't fit, a $940 gamble.
My friend and I bought two identical 1300ss last March, mine had all the nasty problems that afflict these great bikes, the over run vibration, juddery howling clutch and nasty rattle from the gear above the clutch. All I have found well documented on this forum.
I was dissapointed as I was assured all these problems had been sorted, seems like 50% as Pauls bike is fine........
As BMW say it's all ok I decided to sort it myself, I stripped out the primary gear and clutch basket and set about a program that would get rid of the vibes and sort the clutch as I had already established the vibes were from this area.
I then fitted a Barnet clutch pack and reassembled, vibes gone, clutch judder gone and even under a drag start no howling, so all good.
Slipper clutch turned up a few days ago and stripped it out again last night and fitted same, all very simple, only one potential problem, the new clutch pushrod is a little too long and has the clutch slave cylinder piston almost bottoming out in the cylinder which would cause slip as wear took place, I put a spacer ring on the BMW part and set the travel in the middle of the Pistons stroke.
Road tested extensively today..... The K is now exactly as it should have been, super smooth in all aspects with the added ability to downshift without worrying that the throttle blip didn't happen and leave you with the back wheel juddering (re map couldn't erase this problem).
So my question is this... I'm a retired engineer and I can modify the basket and fit different plates and get rid of the faults.... Why can't BMW?

Can't believe brake bleeding is more interesting than a major sort out that affects many K riders judging by what I have read in the last year on here.
Won't bother to write again
Ben
Old 03-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Site Contributor

Interesting read Bengarzy. I have been toying with the idea of installing a slipper to my 13S for the exact same reason as yourself, down shifts that just cough and no blip!
Not being able to find a listing for one to suit anywhere, the idea just sits on the back burner.
Maybe you could provide some details, part No.s etc of the components you used?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapy
Interesting read Bengarzy. I have been toying with the idea of installing a slipper to my 13S for the exact same reason as yourself, down shifts that just cough and no blip!
Not being able to find a listing for one to suit anywhere, the idea just sits on the back burner.
Maybe you could provide some details, part No.s etc of the components you used?

Contact Hard Racing in the USA, order for a 1200s the STM slipper clutch conversion, don't mention its for a 1300, it frightens them cos it's not listed.
Then order a Barnet clutch pack for a 1300s.
That's all you need, the rest is simple but it will help if you can borrow the BMW tools, I managed without them first time but borrowed them later, makes it easier.
That dry cough on the downshift is so annoying, they all do it too, to some riders it's not noticeable but I find if you have a sports bike or race background a downshift that is screwed up by a blip on the throttle that doesn't happen is a pain, specially if your pressing on a bit, just spoils the fun when the back wheel hops about I find.
Now it doesn't matter anymore, I still blip the throttle and when it just wheezes its of no consequence.
Ben
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 03-30-2016, 09:31 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Contact Hard Racing in the USA, order for a 1200s the STM slipper clutch conversion, don't mention its for a 1300, it frightens them cos it's not listed.
That's all you need, the rest is simple but it will help if you can borrow the BMW tools, I managed without them first time but borrowed them later, makes it easier.
That dry cough on the downshift is so annoying, they all do it too, to some riders it's not noticeable but I find if you have a sports bike or race background a downshift that is screwed up by a blip on the throttle that doesn't happen is a pain, specially if your pressing on a bit, just spoils the fun when the back wheel hops about I find.
Now it doesn't matter anymore, I still blip the throttle and when it just wheezes its of no consequence.
Ben

By the way, Hard Racing supply these clutches at about 45% off any other price.
The engineering is unbeatable, they are Italian and STM invented the slipper clutch.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

Thanks for the write up and information.

I too find it annoying when the "throttle blip" doesn't take effect fast enough.

I just pretend that I'm Gary McCoy and all is well
Old 03-31-2016, 09:13 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm wonder if there are any aftermarket clutch baskets for our bike out there. That would be a complete solution: forged basket, slipper clutch and carbon Barnett plates. APE used to make them for the K1200, but they aren't listed on their website anymore.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:51 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMAN 70
Thanks for the write up and information.

I too find it annoying when the "throttle blip" doesn't take effect fast enough.

I just pretend that I'm Gary McCoy and all is well

I bet your corner exit is a little more sedate than Gary's though, what a show he used to put on
Old 04-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
I bet your corner exit is a little more sedate than Gary's though, what a show he used to put on

Yeah, just a wee bit.

He did put on one hell of a show
Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Thanks for the info.
My 2007 K1200 R Sport is starting to make weird noises on engagement. I'm also getting the vibration in neutral when the clutch lever is released. The plan is to open it up in a month once the insurance expires to check it for problems. I now know another way to fix some of the problems

Thanks again

Dusty
Old 04-03-2016, 05:01 AM
Shooting the gap

Also forgot to say engaging first gear hot or cold is now magic, no crunch or drag, clutch engages progressively too.
The above was with the Barnet plate set and before the STM slipper conversion and was with the bellville Spring LEFT OUT, I have always removed these things as they cause more problems than they cure, agreed the clutch is slightly more progressive when the plates are on there last legs but they do cause drag and crunchy first gear engagement, also BMW must have copied Yamaha re the wire ring retainer for the bellville as it used to break on the R1 and wreck the engine and gearbox ......... I know as I had the first R1 in Cambridge and it happened in 600 miles, it also does the same thing on the Ks so if you ever see a wire ring retainer do remove it and DONT try to replace it.
When the STM clutch con was then fitted all the above was just the same in operation, no crunchy first gear engagement, nice and progressive, no howl or judder and of course the creamy smooth down shift no matter if the engine didn't blip up on the throttle.
Weather has been great in the east of England for the last few days so I have been out putting lots of miles on the K, over 1200 since fitting the STM, it's the best $940 I have ever spent,
Just such a pleasure to ride everywhere now, no vibration, no horrible crunchy first gear and ace downshifts too. I will be out today too, be back for Moto GP though👍👍
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 12-30-2016, 04:03 AM
Shooting the gap

Anyone out there want a perfect STM Slpper clutch with a Barnet clutch pack?
Fits straight in after centre nut removal, simple.
The clutch only has about 2k miles on it and does exactly what it's supposed to do.
New 1600 coming👍👍👍
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bengarzy' for this post:
Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Shooting the gap

Sent you a PM
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 AM
Shooting the gap

Any cons to adding a STM slipper clutch to a K1200R?

Cheers

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:37 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

I've seen some pretty quick people, ride over Mt Hotham, Mt Beauty...

None of them said....coulda gone faster with a slipper clutch..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81
Any cons to adding a STM slipper clutch to a K1200R?

Cheers.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 03-30-2017, 06:53 AM
Shooting the gap

I'm not so much interested in performance speed as I am in a nicer ride. I'm considering it as a replacement for a deteriorating oem clutch? Mine rattles but is fine otherwise...so considering alternatives.

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
... None of them said....coulda gone faster with a slipper clutch..
I prefer engine braking, or at least, I'm very used to it. For street riding I just don't see the need for a slipper clutch.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Shooting the gap

But if it was a reasonably priced alternative to replacing or otherwise repairing an oem clutch, are there any cons to it? The rhetoric in the initial replies in this thread makes it sound very positive, eg "super smooth in all aspects"

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:14 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
But if it was a reasonably priced alternative to replacing or otherwise repairing an oem clutch, are there any cons to it? The rhetoric in the initial replies in this thread makes it sound very positive, eg "super smooth in all aspects"
Probably no cons. heck, I once thought heated grips were unnecessary.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I've seen some pretty quick people, ride over Mt Hotham, Mt Beauty...

None of them said....coulda gone faster with a slipper clutch..

Probably not used one! A shaft drive 1300 that doesn't blip 50%of the time cleanly needs a slipper clutch above all else if your riding rapidly on track or on a great mountain road.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Probably not used one! A shaft drive 1300 that doesn't blip 50%of the time cleanly needs a slipper clutch above all else if your riding rapidly on track or on a great mountain road.

So it's a good alternative to other part replacement then? Should longevity be better d'ya know?

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
I'm not so much interested in performance speed as I am in a nicer ride. I'm considering it as a replacement for a deteriorating oem clutch? Mine rattles but is fine otherwise...so considering alternatives.

From my understanding the slipper part is the inside hub of the clutch. If the rattles are coming from the springs ,they are part of the outer hub of the clutch. So you can add a slipper clutch but it may not solve your problem because it is only one part of a clutch assembly.

Dusty
Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Shooting the gap

Yeah, I'm aware of that so when I'd do the change I'd also look at other stuff too..My clutch rattles a bit, but isn't too bad really. Rattles and vibes mostly. It still works ok otherwise so I'll likely wait until it worsens. It's at 22K km now.

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Wink Re: K1300s slipper clutch conversion.

I'm interested in slipper clutch for my k1300s.
I found stm clutch for k1200 on hardracing.
And I wonder Barnet clutch pack for k1300.
Is this clutch plate kit or something else like housing,
diaphram spring?
I can find just clutch disk for k1300.
I live in South Korea so my english isn't good.
Relpy, please
Thans you.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Ben

I wonder Barnet clutch pack for a 1300s. Does it mean clutch plate set for k13s or other things like diaphram with spring.
I just found plate set.
Thank you