I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Idling

Drive Shaft and Final Drive Unit toast on '05 K12S

A few weeks ago, I experienced some vibration on on the rear wheel during a ride on my K12S. Did not think much about it. Pulled over and checked the tire because I thought I might have a flat. Tire was fine. Kept riding.

A few weeks later I was moving my bike out of my garage. Bike was in neutral and moved my bike away from the wall moving forward then began to move backwards as I usually do to maneuver it out, but while still in neutral, the bike would not back up. I knew right away, this was not good. With gentle rocking back and forth, it freed up and I was able to back up freely as I normally back up. I did think maybe I was in some false neutral but....the engine was running and I was not moving so no false neutral.

Today, put my bike up on the Pit Bull stand and was able to re-create the reverse lock by spinning the tire in reverse by hand. The rear drive felt super nothcy and noisey. Took it into the dealer today, they dropped the final drive unit and found that the driveshaft($658) and final drive unit($1827) was shot. Bike has 22K miles on it. The parts are going to hurt, somewhere around $2,485. On the '05s, the final drive does not allow for just a final gear swap. Have to buy the whole freaking drive unit On the '07s and on you can change the final drive gear only, for $600ish. Anyone else been through a driveshaft and final drive unit on a K1200S?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Drive Shaft and Final Drive Unit toast on '05 K12S

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It is a good lesson for the rest of use though. You went from needing probably a bearing to a big repair bill. If your not in a rush monitor ebay. There are a lot of wrecks out there if this site is any indication.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Postmeister

My rear drive big bearing went out at about 21k miles. I rebuilt it myself for about $160 USD.
'96 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 V6 264,000 miles
Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Final drive failures were apparently quite common on new-generation K-series and R-series bikes when first launched here. The spate of early failures was a contributing factor to BMW doing an about-face, from saying that the initial rear drive unit oil fill was "For life", to saying that yes, the fluid should actually be replaced.

The two major dealers in Gauteng both change the rear drive unit oil at every major service interval, disregarding BMW SA's instructions. Surprise, surprise... the number of final-drive failures has decreased dramatically!

+1, guys.

March 2012-February 2013: '08 F800GS, '07 F800ST, '07 F800S, '09 R1200GS Adventure Supermoto, '06 R1200GS, '10 R1200GS Adventure Supermoto (All sold)
May 2014-now: '13 R1200GS LC

All your fast lane are belong to us!
Someone set up us the bike!

Iron Butt Association #59898
Flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo
Audentes fortuna adiuvat
Old 10-18-2009, 04:24 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdude
My rear drive big bearing went out at about 21k miles. I rebuilt it myself for about $160 USD.
Since there is no preload to worry about on the new rear drives (the ones with the big hole in the axle), replacing the ball bearing is far less troublesome than on the previous generation rear drives that had to have their preload set up (using shims) EVERY time a bearing was replaced. I did it on my old K100RT, and it was REALLY touchy!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Its an old dog for a hard road

Am I the only one that believes the BMW mothership should foot the bill for this
repair ?

N. Andrew 'Doc' Bland
2008 K1200S
-Night Black

Sold to cabnfvr 5-5-12
------------------------------
1997 Harley Softtail Springer
-------Violet Pearl-------

Old 10-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevilDrew
Am I the only one that believes the BMW mothership should foot the bill for this
repair ?

You know, I just got done downloading all of the Service Interval sheets for my bike. No where can I find, "change rear final drive oil" in any of the Maintenance Schedules.

I still don't understand what may have caused this?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRockster

I still don't understand what may have caused this?

I would be betting on a bad bearing/bushing in the final drive.

Whatever the mechanical fault I think BMW should stand behind the repair
because they are quite aware that final drive breakdowns have been a
continuing problem.

N. Andrew 'Doc' Bland
2008 K1200S
-Night Black

Sold to cabnfvr 5-5-12

Old 10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDevilDrew
I would be betting on a bad bearing/bushing in the final drive.

Whatever the mechanical fault I think BMW should stand behind the repair
because they are quite aware that final drive breakdowns have been a
continuing problem.

BMW stand behind it even if my bike is way past its 3 year warranty? Can you suggest how I ask the Service Advisor if BMW will cover this? Do I ask him to to call the District or Regional Service rep and explain the situation? Do I point out that no where in their Maintenance Schedules do they check the Final Drive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWRockster
BMW stand behind it even if my bike is way past its 3 year warranty? Can you suggest how I ask the Service Advisor if BMW will cover this? Do I ask him to to call the District or Regional Service rep and explain the situation? Do I point out that no where in their Maintenance Schedules do they check the Final Drive? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just ask as you say. As I understand it a GOOD dealer will do all that they can to
help. After all you don't have to have it repaired there, do you ? Hint, hint...

N. Andrew 'Doc' Bland
2008 K1200S
-Night Black

Sold to cabnfvr 5-5-12

Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 AM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

The pinion gear in my final drive broke a tooth at 17k miles. I first noticed a small amount of oily residue around the outside of the axle opening, and when rolling it in neutral, I could hear and feel irregular movement in the final drive assembly. Took it in before it became any worse.

If I recall, they replaced all the seals and gears in the final drive, but not the unit as a whole. I waited five weeks for the repair, due only to delay in getting all the right bits. And at the time, the final drive didn't have an lube replacement in its service requirement. Seems like it's been a couple of years since 600 mile initial came in. My tech here now changes it at 36k.

(My 0.01 Euro worth)

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 10-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Speed Demon

sorry to hear your troubles and a 2400+ repair bill is no joke especially for a part that failed with only 22,000 miles on the clock. i have heard of other people that claimed BMW covered some defect after their bike was out of warrenty so it won't hurt to at least ask your dealer to do a inquiry and see what the mothership says. you can ask and all they can do is say no so you haven't lost anything by asking and you may actually save some money if they say yes. i would think since the final drive failure is a known problem BMW should do something to assist you.

my 2006 KS was going out of warrenty so i decided to get rid of it so i wouldn't have to worry about expensive repairs. the bike was running well but i had almost 30,000 miles on it and at a minimum the ESA shocks were starting to go south which cost 3K+ to replace.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Replaced the streetfighter's final-drive oil this afternoon.
I seem to have the same luck as Kjell - mine came out dark golden - not even brown. The magnet on the fill plug had picked up no debris pieces larger than dust, and then a minimal amount.

I know only that the bike had a full service history from one of the BMW dealers in Pretoria, so one of two possibilities:
1- An original final drive failed at an earlier date, to be replaced with this one, which was serviced regularly and with neurotic precision ever since... or:
2- The techs at the dealership wised up very early in the bike's life and changed the fluid regularly.

Either way, I have peace of mind now... phew! I had visions of draining the old fluid and finding it pitch-black, with broken metal tidbits adding flavour...

March 2012-February 2013: '08 F800GS, '07 F800ST, '07 F800S, '09 R1200GS Adventure Supermoto, '06 R1200GS, '10 R1200GS Adventure Supermoto (All sold)
May 2014-now: '13 R1200GS LC

All your fast lane are belong to us!
Someone set up us the bike!

Iron Butt Association #59898
Flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo
Audentes fortuna adiuvat
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Idling

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to ask the Service Writer to check with BMW.

I take care of my bikes, have them service regularly by BMW so when I found out the final drive and shaft were shot, I was shocked and bummed. It was as if I did not take good care of my moto.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Idling

Here is an update. Spoke to the dealer and asked them if they would cover this even though it is outside of my warranty. They told me that they have used up their "goodwill" budget for these types of repairs for this year. Service Writer said he would ask the GM if they would consider a discount on parts, best case. Dealer recommended I call BMW No America Customer Service and see if they would take anything into consideration.

I called BMW and they heard my case, assigned a case worker to my situation today. Later today, BMW No. America called my dealer to get background on the situation to get some background information.

So I will wait to hear back from the case worker.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Anchor Man

Sorry to hear about your final drive - good luck getting it covered by BMW.

Mine made it to just over 20,000 miles and then this:

Just as you described - notchy & noisy when turning the wheel on the center stand. The repair was covered by the warranty.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C
Sorry to hear about your final drive - good luck getting it covered by BMW.

Mine made it to just over 20,000 miles and then this:

Just as you described - notchy & noisy when turning the wheel on the center stand. The repair was covered by the warranty.

Yeap, I had oil too but not as much. Never had oil on my rim before. I was kind of in denile. That was great they covered it under warranty!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Shooting the gap

Sorry to see things like that. But these are mechanical machines and everything is possible.

There has been some technical problems because BMW has revised this final gear twice. I think revisions were made 3/2006 and 8/2006.

Also we have to remember one thing. Even that technically design is ok, bearing lifetime is given by bearing manufacturers with certain reliability. And that is never 100%. So most propably there will be 1%...5% of bearings that do not fullfill designed lifetime. Persentage is depending on what engineers have been assuming in their calculations. So, most propably there will be some problem cases coming time to time even if everything is ok in FD.

But as we know, revisions made twice tells us that something has been wrong in those older FDs. And IMHO their repair should be covered by BMW, at least partly.

Regards
Jukka

Old 10-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Shooting the gap

Send a message via Skype™ to Alpinebiker

Your picture was how my 2006 K1200GT looked at 18,000kms (11,250 miles). Scary stuff when oil gets as far onto the tyre as your pic shows!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Anchor Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinebiker
Scary stuff when oil gets as far onto the tyre as your pic shows!
I was very lucky - from the highway I need to go 5 miles and make 6 right turns (no lefts) to get into my garage. If I had to make any lefts, I very likely would have been road surfing.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Idling

Both the local BMW dealer and BMW of North America have declined to replace the Final Drive and the Drive Shaft outside of warranty. They claim that its a normal wear issue and has nothing to do with the design of the final drive. The fact that the inspection or oil change is not in the maintenance schedule is not a factor. BMW North America was not able to explain why changing of the Final Drive oil or inspection of the Final Drive is not part of ANY of the BMW Maintenance Schedules. While I am disappointed I am not totally surprised with their response since my bike is out of warranty. Makes me wonder when the replacement Final Drive and Drive Shaft will go out again. Thanks for everyones input. I appreciate it. Cha Cha Ching.......$$$$$$

Spoke to dealer again this morning, about my alternatives. They indicated that its very very rare that BMW will cover items outside of the warranty period. Dealer offered cost plus 10% on replacement parts which I feel is very gracious.

Kevin

Last edited by BMWRockster : 10-23-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I would tell them to put it back together and source used parts from the internet
and do it myself unless you don't want to wrench on it. Can't be too hard to swap out those pieces. Should be plenty of spares out there. I dunno why I've never had problems, i've got 100k between my gs and k12s and i've never changed or checked the fd fluid on them or any of my other beemers and had no issues
"I hate every bone in your body, except mine" -Willie Nelson
Old 10-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Idling

I bought a drive shaft off E-Bay, $200 that has a claimed 850 miles on it. It was pretty clean, joints looked new and tight. My buddy recently bought a '05 K12S salvaged bike because he needed the motor for his K12R (blown motor). So I was able to get the Final Drive from that bike. That final drive has a certified 5K miles on it. Bearings feel smooth. My friend and I still need a to work out a price on the final drive.

I did not want to wrench and I did not have a way to hold the rear of bike up to install the Final Drive and Drive Shaft. I don't have a center stand. I agree, it looks pretty easy. I dropped the parts off at the shop today. They will put new oil in the drive. Said they would charge me a little over 1 hour labor to install.

I plan on gettng the old parts, I want to tear into the Final Drive to look at it. I will shoot some pics of the final drive and drive shaft it it shows something interesting.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Idling

Looks like Silver Paint! This is the oil that came out of my toasted Final Drive. I held the clear plastic cup to to a halogen desk lamp. Could not see the light through the oil. The oil is just like silver paint, just filled with metal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kkone/s...86465464/show/
Old 10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Looks vaguely familiar...

This was from the rear drive on my K1200RS - difference was it had about 78,000 miles at failure (video here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQtXNI-Kqo