I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Entering the on-ramp

strange tire wear - need advice

I have never had a front tire wear out first until now. I have 4700 miles on a set of Pilot Road's, and the front is VERY well worn, but only on the left side. Not like I have been driving in circles to the left....

Just curious what could cause this type of thing, in case it is something that I can fix before throwing new rubber on this weekend. My bike is a 2000 K12RS.

If I did the attachment correctly, you can see the wear in the pic....
Old 05-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,526 Times in 3,207 Posts

Re: strange tire wear - need advice

Cause - your bike. Most of the K bikes front tires wear like that. I had an 04 GT and I used Pilot Roads as well. I always wore the front faster than the rear. I changed them both at the same time because the rear would have lasted maybe another thousand miles. My front tire usually had a very pronounced crown on it and tended to wear more on the left side. My tire was usually good until 4 thousand miles and completely no good by 5K.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 05-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Roads are "crowned" so that water will run off.

So, it makes sense that on a two-lane road you're subtly but constantly steering left to keep you on the road. That will result in more wear on the left side of the front tire.

If you're on a divided highway, you can maybe even it out a bit by staying in the left lane where the crown will work the other way.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Shooting the gap

You'll hear all sorts of theories on this, ranging from crown in the road to the difference in radius between left-hand and right-hand turns causing more wear on the left side of the tires. Toss in the fact that most BMWs do NOT have the front and rear wheels aligned (if they did the bikes would pull to one side due to the left/right weight difference from driveshaft, swingarm, etc.) and add it all up--the might K will always wear the left side of the tire more than the right.

I had the same issue when running Pilot Roads, but went ahead and ran them to the full 7-8k before changing and didn't notice any marked degradation in grip or handling.

Since switching to Pirelli Diablos front tire wear is much more uniform, steering is lighter and more responsive, and I haven't given up any wet or dry grip. FWIW....

Best,

GTRider
Old 05-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Site Chaplain & Exorcist

Quote:
...the difference in radius between left-hand and right-hand turns causing more wear on the left side of the tires.

That's a new one for me, but sounds feasible.

Can anyone from the UK or other misbegotten country where they drive on the wrong side confirm that their front tires wear more on the right?

Gotta love the scientific method!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieb
That's a new one for me, but sounds feasible.

Can anyone from the UK or other misbegotten country where they drive on the wrong side confirm that their front tires wear more on the right?

Gotta love the scientific method!

Maybe if you ask nicely, you could get a response

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

FastEddieb, I can confirm that, to add weight, if there a lot of "roundabouts" in your area it is more pronounced.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Site Contributor

I call b.s on the bmw missalinement! shaft drive is the the best there is regardless of make. Bmw used to advertise there high specs for frame trueness ect.Crown in the road? yes up to a foot diference on a two lane road. ( used to work for a paving company). My guess is your left handed and attack the left hand turns at a greater rate than you would the right hand corners.This is human nature.Did you know people that get lost in the woods end up walking in great circles. If your left handed you tend to turn that way. And if your right handed you do a right handed circle.I have had bikes for 33 years and never herd of one sided tire wear?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
I call b.s on the bmw missalinement! shaft drive is the the best there is regardless of make. Bmw used to advertise there high specs for frame trueness ect. <snip> I have had bikes for 33 years and never herd of one sided tire wear?

You've never run a string or laser alignment check on a BMW motorcycle, then. There is indeed an offset, it is intentional, and is no way a "qualilty" issue. And if you've never heard of one-sided tire wear you must not own a K-Bike!

Best,

GTRideru
Old 05-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Twisted Wrister

I vote for the weird KRS bike geometry. The roads and turns and everything else are just minor factors. I don't notice it on R's or (gasp) other makes.

geo
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
I had the same issue when running Pilot Roads, but went ahead and ran them to the full 7-8k before changing and didn't notice any marked degradation in grip or handling.

Since switching to Pirelli Diablos front tire wear is much more uniform, steering is lighter and more responsive, and I haven't given up any wet or dry grip. FWIW....

Really interesting comment about the Pilot Roads. This was my first set, and as mentioned, never have burned up a front before the rear is shot. Had run Bridgestone's in the past, but my rear mileage stank on them.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
I call b.s on the bmw missalinement! ...
I'll see ya and raise you one .

277,000 BMW miles plus about 60,000 on Kawasaki and Yamaha. Only the BMW's wore the left like that. Never bothered me; just a characteristic of the shaft drive. Oh yeah, the Ducati didn't wear uneven either.

Now for the flame thrower ........

get ready ....

The "S" wear the tires evenly.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
You've never run a string or laser alignment check on a BMW motorcycle, then. There is indeed an offset, it is intentional, and is no way a "qualilty" issue. And if you've never heard of one-sided tire wear you must not own a K-Bike! GTRideru

04 GT....58000 miles....NEVER wore a front tire faster than a rear.....NEVER had the left side wear faster....maybe because mostly highway miles?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:16 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

on the k12rs
there is a manufactured offset
of 5mm
centerline front wheel to centerline rear
read that somewhere
[there have been many other bikes that dont track exactly]

with road being crowned
other possible maufactured tolerances
ez to see that could cause a problem

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 09-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I've got this same tread wear issue on my 2001 K1200RS and my 2004 R1150RT.

Don't love it but I live with it. If the UK lads have right side wear, I'd be alot happier about it.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Getting up to speed

In Australia, riding on the left side of the road, it is very comon to see the front tyre worn on the right side. We first noticed this with the Honda CB750 back in the 1970s. Right hand side front tyre wear is common here on many different types of bikes.
David
Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Spoke with the Motorrad lads at the Fort Worth Cycle World show about the "cupping" that is noticeable on K1200RS's and R1150RT's (I have both).

They claim my comments to them on this subject are the first they've heard of it. The police in my town have R1150Rt's and they shopw the same "cupping" but then again, the boys in blue make a lot of U-turns every day.

Hard to believe BMW hasn't heard this comment before, they seemed interedsted, even to the point of wanting to see my bike and examine the wear...too bad I rode my Triumph!!!

What pressures do folks run their Michelin Pilot Roads on the K1200RS's? I like 41psi rear, 40psi front. kind of splitting hairs, should probably go 40 & 40.