I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools.. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Anybody run these tires?

Based on the Pirelli comparison tool they would be sportier than the Angel ST but not as sporty as Rosso Corsa which may just be the right mix of aggressive street rubber I'm looking for while still being able to get 4-5K miles out of them. (I still have the stock M3's onboard right now)

Thoughts?
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM
double.d double.d is offline
Shooting the gap
Post: 622 Thanks: 4
Thanked 176 Times in 114 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, QL Australia
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Anything will be better than those M3 wooded hoops. I'm an aggresive rider and the Angel GT's have not let me down yet so i'll be sticking with them.
__________________
2013 K1300R Stealth
2012 K1300R-SE - R.I.P
2010 K1300S Tri Colour - Cops made me sell it.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2014, 06:11 PM
jargon's Avatar
jargon jargon is offline
Deplorable and Still Rides
Post: 9,175 Thanks: 6,060
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ, U S A
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

FYI guys, Metzler and Pirelli are the same company.
__________________
John

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown


Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
FYI guys, Metzler and Pirelli are the same company.

Fiat owns Ferrari but they are not the same.

Pirelli owns metzler but that doesn't mean they make the same tires. Their model lines and compounds seem to be quite different.

I've run various tires on the track and my favorites were supercorsa's so that's why I'm thinking of running a sporty ish street tire if people have good experiences with them
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 PM
jargon's Avatar
jargon jargon is offline
Deplorable and Still Rides
Post: 9,175 Thanks: 6,060
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ, U S A
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

I did not mean to imply the tires from both brands are the same, what I did mean to imply though, is that the two brands probably share technology, and are probably not that dissimilar from each other.

Several members have really good things to say about some Pirelli's. I will be fitting some Diablo Rosso Corsa's next tire change on my KS, and possibly the Angel GT's on my KRS.
__________________
John

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown


Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 AM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
I did not mean to imply the tires from both brands are the same, what I did mean to imply though, is that the two brands probably share technology, and are probably not that dissimilar from each other.

Several members have really good things to say about some Pirelli's. I will be fitting some Diablo Rosso Corsa's next tire change on my KS, and possibly the Angel GT's on my KRS.

I understand. My question is do they really share much or is it simply ownership.

I was originally thinking the Rosso Corsa's but I'm concerned they will just burn off in a few thousand kms which is why the Corsa II's might be the correct balance of stickiness on the edge and still able to get 6000-7000 kms on a heavy bike.
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
throttlemeister throttlemeister is offline
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Post: 184 Thanks: 3
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Didn't like them. And to be fair, every Pirelli I try (and I always try the new models) I come out hating or at best not caring for. No feel and no feedback. Don't like not feeling what is going on. I rather find out before my leathers are being torn up by tarmac that I am getting close to what the conditions permit. I also found them to be wearing rather quick and exhibit some nasty cupping.

My favorite at the moment is the Bridgestone S20, but unfortunately they wear rather quick. I have to try really hard and show some real constraint to squeeze 2500 miles out of them. This should however been fixed with the new for 2014 S20 EVO and bring it on par with the Michelin offerings (Pilot Power 2ct/3), which (for me) would mean an additional 500-750 miles without really trying hard. That's what I would consider ok for a sport tire.
__________________
2003 BMW R1100S prep | Website | Gallery
2007 BMW K1200S

Trailoring is a sin. Call 1-800-LEARNTORIDE.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
Didn't like them. And to be fair, every Pirelli I try (and I always try the new models) I come out hating or at best not caring for. No feel and no feedback. Don't like not feeling what is going on. I rather find out before my leathers are being torn up by tarmac that I am getting close to what the conditions permit. I also found them to be wearing rather quick and exhibit some nasty cupping.

My favorite at the moment is the Bridgestone S20, but unfortunately they wear rather quick. I have to try really hard and show some real constraint to squeeze 2500 miles out of them. This should however been fixed with the new for 2014 S20 EVO and bring it on par with the Michelin offerings (Pilot Power 2ct/3), which (for me) would mean an additional 500-750 miles without really trying hard. That's what I would consider ok for a sport tire.

Thanks for the feedback. I used to run stones on my 11s and they were fine. But 2500 miles is a little light. I'd really like around 4500 or so.
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Rocks0769 Rocks0769 is offline
Site Contributor
Post: 258 Thanks: 56
Thanked 143 Times in 77 Posts
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

I put Pirelli Angel GT's on K1300S.
I looked at the Diablo, but I've chosen to not go sporty as I wanted more than 3500-4000Kms out of a tyre. So far I have 6000KMs out of the GT's & reckon I have another 3-4000 to go at least. That also includes 1 track day & 1 California Superbike School day. My normal riding is a mix of motorway & twisty (probably 30% :70%) & the GT's are the best tyre I've ridden on so far, rain or shine
__________________
Ray
09 K1300S
1949 BSA C11
Reply With Quote
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rocks0769' for this post:
  #10  
Old 01-22-2014, 09:36 PM
double.d double.d is offline
Shooting the gap
Post: 622 Thanks: 4
Thanked 176 Times in 114 Posts
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, QL Australia
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks0769
I put Pirelli Angel GT's on K1300S.
I looked at the Diablo, but I've chosen to not go sporty as I wanted more than 3500-4000Kms out of a tyre. So far I have 6000KMs out of the GT's & reckon I have another 3-4000 to go at least. That also includes 1 track day & 1 California Superbike School day. My normal riding is a mix of motorway & twisty (probably 30% :70%) & the GT's are the best tyre I've ridden on so far, rain or shine

I have 8,500klm on mine now and i reckon they'll be good for another 2-3
__________________
2013 K1300R Stealth
2012 K1300R-SE - R.I.P
2010 K1300S Tri Colour - Cops made me sell it.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 AM
throttlemeister throttlemeister is offline
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Post: 184 Thanks: 3
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snobike Mike
Thanks for the feedback. I used to run stones on my 11s and they were fine. But 2500 miles is a little light. I'd really like around 4500 or so.
Keep in mind that mileage cannot be compared at all from one person to another and as such is pretty much irrelevant. Some people get 10.000 miles out of a ST tire. Others finish them off in half that. What is quick wearing for me may suffice for you.

There does not exist a single sport tire that would last 4-5000 miles with me. I am happy to get that in kilometers.
__________________
2003 BMW R1100S prep | Website | Gallery
2007 BMW K1200S

Trailoring is a sin. Call 1-800-LEARNTORIDE.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
Keep in mind that mileage cannot be compared at all from one person to another and as such is pretty much irrelevant. Some people get 10.000 miles out of a ST tire. Others finish them off in half that. What is quick wearing for me may suffice for you.

There does not exist a single sport tire that would last 4-5000 miles with me. I am happy to get that in kilometers.

I understand that, however, even you are giving some indication of tire life even if your riding style is more aggressive than most.

My M3's have about 6000kms on them now and the front looks fine and the rear is starting to square out. As I'm the 2nd owner I've only put 2800 of the 6000 kms on them. I'm betting if I put all of them on they would indeed be worn more. I'm not about getting the last bit out of a tire but don't want to go through the hassle of tire changes twice a year. What I want is reasonable straight up mileage (because it's so straight around here) with as good as possible leaned over grip for places like the Blue Ridge or similar twisty roads when I venture to parts of the globe that have interesting roads.
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2014, 12:18 PM
throttlemeister throttlemeister is offline
Has gotten a ticket or two…
Post: 184 Thanks: 3
Thanked 49 Times in 19 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

I have had my R1100S with the heads scraping the deck @ 80mph entry and full throttle exiting using the Pilot Road2 and it didn't even wiggle. Modern ST tires like the MPR2, Dunlop RoadSmart, Angel ST, etc have in my experience more than enough grip to do just about anything on public roads and will only shows their limits when you take them to the track.

The only reason I personally prefer sport tires is the pointier shape of those tires that makes the bike a little easier to handle.

If tire companies would ever make a ST tire with the shape of a sport tire but the longevity of a ST tire, I would be all over them and never use anything else.
__________________
2003 BMW R1100S prep | Website | Gallery
2007 BMW K1200S

Trailoring is a sin. Call 1-800-LEARNTORIDE.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Snobike Mike Snobike Mike is offline
Getting up to speed
Post: 54 Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Re: Pirelli Diablo Rosso II

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttlemeister
I have had my R1100S with the heads scraping the deck @ 80mph entry and full throttle exiting using the Pilot Road2 and it didn't even wiggle. Modern ST tires like the MPR2, Dunlop RoadSmart, Angel ST, etc have in my experience more than enough grip to do just about anything on public roads and will only shows their limits when you take them to the track.

The only reason I personally prefer sport tires is the pointier shape of those tires that makes the bike a little easier to handle.

If tire companies would ever make a ST tire with the shape of a sport tire but the longevity of a ST tire, I would be all over them and never use anything else.

That's another good point. I certainly don't want turn in that is slower than the M3's
__________________
Current: 2012 K1300S - Hot Magma!
Past: 04 R1, 00 R1, 00 R11S, 00 CR250, 98 KX250, 96 Zx11, 93 TS200R, 88 FZ 600, 87 K75S, 85 Magna 500, 84(?) IT 250
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools..
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads (a database pull of similar subject matter)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pirelli Rosso vs Dunlop Q2 Mileage? Pirate "K12S" Tires 21 08-16-2012 02:16 PM
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa: Customized! Pirate "K12S" Tires 2 07-17-2010 05:12 PM
pirelli diablo rosso Roadcrave "KRS/GT" Tires 57 11-13-2008 12:16 AM
PIRELLI DIABLO STRADA's 65overlander "K12S" Tires 10 02-18-2008 09:44 AM
Pirelli Diablo Tire Sale! Htheater Chit-Chat 24 06-11-2007 10:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


I-BMW.com is via vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2018, I-BMW.com LLC .
Page generated in 0.56590 seconds with 16 queries