I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM
Shooting the gap

New Tire Break-In - Opinions wanted

Well just picked my bike from the dealer today - new Angel GTs installed and ready to roll. My first ride of the season and it was pouring rain and 7 degrees, but I didn't care - just great to be riding again after what seemed like such a long winter here in Ontario.

So the advice I received on "break-in" of these tires is, heat them up good by doing a long trip 200-300 KM - recommended as the best way to "melt" away the coating left over from the manufacturing process - there is no need to "scrub" or drive the bike in any set pattern. Nice to hear that we have moved away from talking about "scrubbing" to actually just properly heating up the tire under regular street/touring conditions.

How do you break-in your new tires?

2011 BMW K1300S
Old 04-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: New Tire Break-In - Opinions wanted

Some tires still need a little "scrubbing in" to remove the mold snot left on them. I'm running Michelin Pilot roads these days and find them pretty clean right out of the box.
However, I make a point of taking the first few corners at progressively greater lean angles until I'm back to normal. Much less than 100 kms much less 2-300.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,433 Times in 3,153 Posts

I know when I put new tires on - I don't deliberately go out and try to break them loose. Do I wait until I have 100 miles on them before going full tilt - no - I feel pretty confident on the street after about 20 miles that I'm good to go. I live in a great area - 20 miles from my house I already did 100 corners that get me leaned over pretty good.

Heck just to give you another thought about this - I have been at the track with brand new tires - I mean zero miles on them - go out and do a few laps taking it easy - getting the tires up to temp and then never thinking about it again.

Best practice - take it easy first ride - throttle management is key - again if you are out for the day - are in twisties - after an hour of that for sure you are good to go.

Of course others may disagree - again just be aware that you are on new sneakers.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-11-2015, 09:39 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Pierre, you going to love the Pirelli Angel GT's if you havnt already run them, honestly, i have done 10km of twisty road (normal riding in dry conditions) and been happy with the tyres after that. Just enough to make the surface look different to brand spanking new to about 1inch from the edge. Common sense and monitor your tyre surface progress and youll be right.

cheers
kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 04-11-2015, 11:02 AM
*Disclaimer below

I don't believe motorcycle tires use a mold release these days other than maybe the side walls to help in better looking graphics and lettering. Most talk about release agents is a myth in today's tire manufacturing and got mixed in with proper break in of a tire. Tire molds now days are mostly Teflon coated and don't require a "mold release agent" The reason it is a recommendation to "be careful" when first riding with a new tire is more about getting use to a new tire's profile and over compensation due to the fact you just came off a worn tire with a completely different profile, Like walking up steps with new boots.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Shooting the gap

I've got a set of Pirelli Angel GTs on my K1300S and love them. They are worlds better than the stock M3s. Also, no issues with grip from the start. I actually forgot they were new on the ride home and nailed it at a stop light and they didn't break loose. Years ago, that would have been a problem. But I haven't had that issue since the first Pirelli Diablo Strada tire came out. Anyway, I put them on at 7000 miles and now have about 19,700 on the bike for a total of 12,700 on the tires. Still life left in them surprisingly although I'm about to order a new set. And they aren't super squared off, despite almost all of those miles being commuting miles. These tires literally stick like glue and wear like iron. Don't really have to warm them up unless the temps get below 50 degrees F. Then you have to be easy on the throttle otherwise you will give the TCS a workout. But I think any tire would have a problem at those temps on this bike and need some warmup miles.

I went with an A-spec, not sure if the standard version would wear any different. Although I can testify the A-spec is much more puncture resistant and I hit some debris on the freeway that on the M3s would have damaged the front wheel. I've had a couple of foreign object impacts and probably a dozen or more pot hole impacts with no damage. I live in SoCal and they are doing major construction on the 5 FWY and one of the overpasses has some serious misalignment, like a 2-3 inch height difference and I've gotten caught by traffic and hit that a few times, HARD and no damage. One time, it was such a hard hit that I pulled over at the first opportunity to check. So it seems a good sport touring tire is a cure for the soft alloy that BMW like to use for their wheels.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:59 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticlife
Well just picked my bike from the dealer today - new Angel GTs installed and ready to roll. My first ride of the season and it was pouring rain and 7 degrees, but I didn't care - just great to be riding again after what seemed like such a long winter here in Ontario.

So the advice I received on "break-in" of these tires is, heat them up good.....
Just a bit of info is missing here. Are you talking about 7 degrees Celsius (44 Fahrenheit) or 7 degrees Fahrenheit (-13.8 Celsius)? Makes a HUGE difference in ability to heat up a tire.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,433 Times in 3,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Just a bit of info is missing here. Are you talking about 7 degrees Celsius (44 Fahrenheit) or 7 degrees Fahrenheit (-13.8 Celsius)? Makes a HUGE difference in ability to heat up a tire.
I agree that tires need to have heat in them to perform correctly.

Biggest reason I stop riding the RR is ambient temperature - heck I get the traction control kicking in during the summer - when the temps are in the 40's or lower and the ground surface is that cold the tires never get up to operating temps and I'm not looking to find out at what point I'm going sliding.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Shooting the gap

Great perspectives all - it's actually 7 degrees Celsius (44 Farenheit) in Ottawa, Ontario CA today. Tomorrow is going up to 17 degrees Celsius so I'm going to heat those tires up real good!

2011 BMW K1300S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'arcticlife' for this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Twisted Wrister

Just remember that when you're riding in a straight line all you're warming up is the center of the tire. As others have said, you need to gradually increase lean angle as the tire warms. And at 7 degrees ambient that just may never happen at street inflation pressures. Be careful.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:

How do you break-in your new tires?

Hi Pierre

I do this:

Just until disappear the brightness from new, when is opaque , is the same if new or used.

if you will to hard cornering, just take the initial curves with care until the tyre has enough rugosity.

And take the Pat wise advice about low temperatures
Old 04-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Shooting the gap

I put acetone on and wipe off then I go for a ride gets everything off works for me. This is what I being doing for a couple yards
Old 04-12-2015, 12:46 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdoor
I put acetone on and wipe off then I go for a ride gets everything off works for me. This is what I being doing for a couple yards

Or you can use lacquer thinner (not "paint thinner"). Works amazing! No break in needed!!!

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 04-12-2015, 02:15 AM
Shooting the gap

50klm with with progressive lean angles, then have at it.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Shooting the gap

I thought I'd update all of you - thanks again for your opinions and posts - I went for 300 KM ride today in 19 Celsius sunny weather - Spring finally. Some good highway miles were covered followed by some good twisties in the countryside. No heavy leaning yet as the opportunities were limited but still very decent curves at highway speeds - I had great grip.

I have to say, the bike handles magnificently on these tires - what a big difference riding on the Angel GTs - the bike feels transformed. Easier, faster turn in and confidence inspiring grip - right from the install as this is my first real ride with them. All I can say is wow..

2011 BMW K1300S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'arcticlife' for this post:
Old 04-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Riding Bikes Clears the Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Or you can use lacquer thinner (not "paint thinner"). Works amazing! No break in needed!!!
Yep I have had this done by the bike shop and it works a treat.
Otherwise just ride steady for about 50 kms then there ready to rock n roll.
AMHP Headlight Protector
Tank Grips
Side Stand Plate
MRA Double Bubble Tinted Screen
Ctek hardwired connection
Narva Ultra Blue (4200k) lights
Throttlemeister throttle lock
Ventura Luggage Rack and Bag
Old 04-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Twisted Wrister

I found my favorite break in a couple decades back. I was 1/2 mile from where I needed to be and the shortest distance was between two sets of railroad tracks through deep gravel. I had new tires on. When I got out of the gravel the tires were "broken in" all the way to the sidewalls; as if I had leaned the bike over well past where she slides. The tires were perfectly scuffed in.
Not recommended if you have no experience in deep gravel, but it sure cleans up a new set of tires!
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I thought I'd update all of you - thanks again for your opinions and posts - I went for 300 KM ride today in 19 Celsius sunny weather - Spring finally. Some good highway miles were covered followed by some good twisties in the countryside. No heavy leaning yet as the opportunities were limited but still very decent curves at highway speeds - I had great grip.

I have to say, the bike handles magnificently on these tires - what a big difference riding on the Angel GTs - the bike feels transformed. Easier, faster turn in and confidence inspiring grip - right from the install as this is my first real ride with them. All I can say is wow..

FWIW I've always found that brand new tires of almost any make transform the previous handling of the bike in a good way. The new round profiles roll in and out of turns so smoothly compared to the old skins that the bike just feels way better.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Shooting the gap

It's the rear tire that has a greater effect on the steering. As it flat spots it takes more and more effort to get the bike off the flat spot to turn.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster
FWIW I've always found that brand new tires of almost any make transform the previous handling of the bike in a good way. The new round profiles roll in and out of turns so smoothly compared to the old skins that the bike just feels way better.
Any "new" tire is the best tire made. as soon as they flat spot, in a 1000 miles, they suck
Old 04-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
It's the rear tire that has a greater effect on the steering. As it flat spots it takes more and more effort to get the bike off the flat spot to turn.

The fronts have a major effect too. I wear mine in a Vee pattern with the maximum wear about an inch off the centreline. (more wear on the left side) I just put a new PR3 on the front and it rolls really nicely into corners now.
As an experiment, I removed the spacer washer on the rear wheel and I have to say I like the results so far. The bike feels very neutral in a straight line. I realize the left side wear is due to longer distance covered at the same lean angle in left hand turns, and the distance off centre of the primary tire wear confirms it happens at substantial lean angle, but I've always felt the bike pulls right a little, and that washer would just make it worse.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Twisted Wrister

Duckster, try a couple more pounds of air in the front tire and let us know if you like it better. Might help some of the V wear.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:25 PM
Getting up to speed

I run 42 PSI already which is the max rated pressure for the tire. I think the increased wear on the sides is just a consequence of a lot of cornering without a lot of heavy braking.
the rear tires wear on the sides too, but they do flat spot due to the constant driving force