I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Twisted Wrister

rear tire blowout on K1300s

Just thought I'd relay my story of blowing a rear tire on a K1300s last week while on vacation in Colorado. I had put on new tires last July (Pirelli Angel GT) then rode to Colorado and back from Phoenix. This year I wanted to ride to Colorado again, and while the tires now had about 4000 miles on them, I thought I could get through another 2000 mile ride. (Maybe!) The tires were not down to the wear bars, and I haven't worn a set down that far yet so I didn't know if these tires had 6000 miles of life, or perhaps just 5000.

And I won't really know until another set now. As I was leaving Aspen to head up Independence Pass, I was following a car at about 25-30 mph when I heard a very loud POP from the rear. I instantly thought I blew the rear tire.

Then I had second thoughts, because the handling of the bike didn't change at all. I was rolling along in complete control with no squirming or other expected reaction from the bike. For a split second I thought perhaps I'd heard someone else's tire explode and not mine. Then I saw a red warning sign on the dash next to a "0 PSi" message. I then pulled off the road with a sinking heart.

First problem - how to get off the bike! When I stopped and tried to put the sidestand down, the bike was so low it was basically vertical. As I was loaded with tank bag, panniers and large BMW softbag on the rear seat, I couldn't just swing my leg over and step off. Rather I sort of have to awkwardly pull my leg over the seat and hop back. I was afraid the bike would simply fall over to the right. But I tried and managed to get off without dropping it. I immediately put the bike on the centerstand, which was a lot more difficult with it fully-loaded and sitting inches lower.

Second problem - patching the tire. I had purchased a Stop-N-Go tire repair kit (tool, plugs, compressor) and added some ropes to it to complement the mushroom plugs. But one look at the tire told me this leak was unrepairable. I had a 1-inch rip in the tire. It clearly looked as if I ran over something, but I saw no evidence of anything sharp enough to cause a hole. It will remain a mystery as I never did find anything. But given that the tire was unrepairable, I needed to locate both a tire and a two.

At that moment I forgot I had the 3-year BMW roadside assistance card somewhere in the tank bag. (I would have remembered it shortly). As I was heading to a friend's house just on the other side of Independence Pass, I decided to call them to at least give them a heads-up on my schedule. To my delighted surprise, they suggested they come get me with a pickup truck and take me back to their place for the night. (My intended destination anyway). All they had to do was to borrow a ramp from a neightbor to load the bike.

Two hours after I came to a stop, my friends showed up in their pickup, and with the help of a winch and two strong passersby, we got the bike loaded. I spent the night as planned with my friends, and the next day they drove me from Twin Lakes to BMW of Denver. What seemed at first like a catastrophe ended up being hardly a blip on the radar. Except for the crushed thumb I suffered when I stupidly unfolded the ramp onto it.

A note here - I had just bought two new Angle GT's in Scottsdale and had them sitting waiting for me to come home. About $380, and I have a $40/tire rebate from Pirelli for buying before the end of May. Now I had to buy another set on the road. The first dealer I called (Lakewood BMW) did not have Angel GT's, but they offered to sell me Michelin Pilot Road 4's for .... $800 installed. I choked on the phone when I heard that, then called BMW of Denver. (Significantly longer drive to BMW of Denver). BMW of Denver had Angel GT's and only charged me $480 installed. Second time I've ended in their shop on a Colorado trip. (Last year my SRC-S intercom died and they replaced it under warranty).

If I'd not had friends to bail me out, I'd have called BMW Roadside Assistance, and I assumed would have ended up with a two truck to Lakewood BMW (closest dealer), a nearby motel, and a set of $800 tires I didn't want.

BMW of Denver inspected the tire and said the internal structure was fine and that I must have run over something sharp.

I must say, it was nice having a fresh set of tires on for the rest of the ride, especially when I met up with a Triumph rider (name of Tom Judd) near Gateway. We ran the canyon curves at considerable speed together for about 40 miles.

I've been riding motorcycles since 1970, and this was the first tire blowout I've ever had. First flat on a vacation tour as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:33 PM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,459 Times in 670 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!
Re: rear tire blowout on K1300s

...some say, these tyres are puncture prone I had multiple punctures on the Angel ST some years ago. Good to hear you were OK and managed to complete your trip
P.S. Anyone that charges $800US for two tyres fitted should be arrested!!!

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 PM
Entering the on-ramp

You just made up my mind! I just got back from a trip to Alabama and next month I'm headed to South Dakota, my Pirelli angel GTs now have 11,000 miles on them and still look fine with plenty of meat left, I, like you have a brand new set sitting in the garage waiting to be put on.
I think I will and not push my luck! It's just killing me tho because they still have plenty of meat left.
I'm glad everything worked out for you, and you had a safe trip
Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,433 Times in 3,153 Posts

Craig:

Glad you were able to find a dealer that was not out to rob you. I don't know what they are thinking - sooner or later they won't have any customers.

I've had a few flats over the years - all but one I was able to plug and get me home or to a dealer to get a new tire.

Always nice to let it rip with a new set of tires - very confidence inspiring.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
You just made up my mind! I just got back from a trip to Alabama and next month I'm headed to South Dakota, my Pirelli angel GTs now have 11,000 miles on them and still look fine with plenty of meat left, I, like you have a brand new set sitting in the garage waiting to be put on.
I think I will and not push my luck! It's just killing me tho because they still have plenty of meat left.
I'm glad everything worked out for you, and you had a safe trip
Dan:

I need to ride with you and learn how in the world you are getting that kind of mileage. I use Pilot Roads and the best I've ever gotten was a little over 5K miles and those tires were cooked.

Now you would have a heart attack if you changed tires like I do on my RR. Last weekend I started out with new tires - two track days a little more than 200 miles.

Going to the track this weekend for two days really hope they last both days.

Okay sorry to derail this thread.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bruce,

Funny you should reply, believe it or not I was thinking of you over the weekend while I was at the track at the barber museum. You must be having a ball out there!

As far as the tire wear goes, I don't know, I sure I don't ride as aggressive as you but I'm not a real Pu-- either!!
My buddy has an FJR his tires, Angel GTs too have 9,000 on them with plenty of meat left! He's going to change them before our trip to South Dakota, just because.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Dan:

I need to ride with you and learn how in the world you are getting that kind of mileage. I use Pilot Roads and the best I've ever gotten was a little over 5K miles and those tires were cooked.

Now you would have a heart attack if you changed tires like I do on my RR. Last weekend I started out with new tires - two track days a little more than 200 miles.

Going to the track this weekend for two days really hope they last both days.

Okay sorry to derail this thread.

Bruce, you must try the Pirelli Angel GTs, they perform well right to the end, I feel the PR4's go bad (handling) well before they are down to the wear indicators.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 06-07-2016, 11:58 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

I too hear the PR4's change riding feed back towards the end. The old PR3's were especially good at that with their trapezoidal shape they wore to. I have a set of the 4's on my K bike just to see what people are talking about. They do well in the wet winter of the NW where I live. I usually run M5's. I have some 01's on the rack waiting.
But, Please don't ride to the wear bars. That is the minimum. At that point you loose 60% of your braking ability in rain. They don't handle well and get flats easily. Guys, don't try for that last 500 miles.
Just had a fellow this morning come in for tires on his 78 air head. (I HATE changing tube tires) The rear tire was smooth. The front tired, (old age 2008), and just about to the bars, minimum tread in my book. Granted it was a fair weather bike. He was debating on using the front for the summer, but did have two tires to put a set on. Good thing. Old hard tires that have minimal tread depth are just waiting to bite you. Although that old airhead brake system did not challenge those tires one bit.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Bruce, you must try the Pirelli Angel GTs, they perform well right to the end, I feel the PR4's go bad (handling) well before they are down to the wear indicators.

Cheers
Kiwimat
Mat:

Looks like I will try them next. The PR4's are good but they absolutely lose a lot in the handling department long before they are worn out.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:21 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,382 Posts

Glad everything worked out!! We had a similar experience in Texas last April and mounted an Angel GT, replacing a punctured PR4 (with less than 100 miles on it. ). For those considering the Angel's I'd definitely give them 2 thumbs up.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:42 PM
Shooting the gap

For anyone worried about punctures, I strongly recommend the A spec Pirelli Angel GT. I've run over stuff that felt and sounded like it punctured the tire and it did not. I had three times where I actually pulled over immediately and inspected the tire and found no puncture, but did find a mark where the object contacted the tire. They are a bear to mount and remove because the carcass is so stiff. Here is a method that seems to be the easiest that a friend of mine made a video of.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=dbKLa5ZlWVE
Old 06-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
For anyone worried about punctures, I strongly recommend the A spec Pirelli Angel GT. I've run over stuff that felt and sounded like it punctured the tire and it did not.

My A-spec just gave me an instant failure when I ran over whatever it was I ran over. A loud POP that was very much like the sound you hear when a new tire is mounted and the pressure pops the tire into place initially.

What impressed me was the ability to ride on a flat tire as if nothing happened. Of course I was already doing a slow speed, but I had to actually check to see if the tire was flat before I pulled over. Other than my dash indicator flashing a warning at me, I couldn't tell (at that speed).
Old 06-10-2016, 12:33 AM
Shooting the gap

Well, nothing is puncture proof, but I'm very impressed with the puncture resistance of the A spec Pirelli Angel GT.