I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Getting up to speed

Custom Headlight for K1300S?

so I Test rode the new 2017 BMW K1600gtl nice big bike but too much bike for me..
anyways has anyone seen or have done installed similar headlight K1600gtl setup into K1300S?? Ain't nothing out there period no custom headlights for our K1300S?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k1600gtl.jpg (21.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

Re: Custom Headlight for K1300S?

I haven't seen anything "custom" but I'm wondering... The K13S / K12S headlights work pretty damn good and they look pretty damn good.. If that's not enough, brighter lighting is just one or more HID kits away... What exactly are you wanting??
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Getting up to speed

no they work great but I wanted something like this Halo and projectors give it a mean look..
Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM
Site Contributor

Mean look? You'll be going so fast no one will see you.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 05-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Shooting the gap

I seriously considered doing something like this, but the cost and effort is prohibitively expensive. The clear lens is extremely difficult to remove without destroying. It requires baking the entire headlight unit in an oven to soften the sealant used to secure it. It's melting point is only 5-10 degrees below where the clear plastic will start to deform. A replacement from BMW costs almost $1000 and a good used one on EBay goes for $600. Then you add in the cost of projectors that both fit and provide high quality light equal or better than the stock setup, which is very good and you end up with several hundred dollars each for them. Now pay someone to do it and you can easily hit $2500-3000. Too much cost for too little gain. I ended up going with LED H7s from Cyclops and am very happy with the light output. If I need more I will add some auxiliary lights. I get the desire for a cool look of the halos, but on a bike this fast most of us are more concerned with effectiveness first and bling second.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 05-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Getting up to speed

I know. I saw the price on the K1600gtl headlight alone is 2grand after cutting retrofiting make time to customize another headlight and what not other problems will run into..
Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Shooting the gap

Adding Halos and Projectors would be adding sprung mass to the nose of your K1300S. OTOH, the OE Reflector element is made of ultra light weight unobtanium for guaranteed wheely popping excitement!

Seriously, I had LED Halo Rings in the Headlights of my E36 BMW from DDM Tuning. They looked so cool in early evening light! Unfortunately, after a couple years, a few of the LED elements began to drop out...not so good when I went to sell it.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R111S
Adding Halos and Projectors would be adding sprung mass to the nose of your K1300S. OTOH, the OE Reflector element is made of ultra light weight unobtanium for guaranteed wheely popping excitement!

Seriously, I had LED Halo Rings in the Headlights of my E36 BMW from DDM Tuning. They looked so cool in early evening light! Unfortunately, after a couple years, a few of the LED elements began to drop out...not so good when I went to sell it.

thats true
Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Getting up to speed

I've just added Cyclops LED to my girl... looks stunning and its bright as hell...

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Bulb_p_86.html

not what you were thinking but a very nice and non-intrusive mod.

Diablo

There are two types of people in this world, people who ride motorcycles and people who wish they could ride motorcycles...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Diablo' for this post:
DOA
Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

The company (in China) that we get our LED kits from have been begging me to sell these type LED kits, but I declined due to the install issues on probably every bike...ie.. they are kinda big and bulky.

Can you post a pic or two of yours? I'll assume you had to drill out the plastic cover in the back for the rear end of the LED pod kit and wiring to come though...

How do you like the kit? Can you flash your lights? or does the LED have the same issues with fire-up times as an HID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo
I've just added Cyclops LED to my girl... looks stunning and its bright as hell...

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Bulb_p_86.html

not what you were thinking but a very nice and non-intrusive mod.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
The company (in China) that we get our LED kits from have been begging me to sell these type LED kits, but I declined due to the install issues on probably every bike...ie.. they are kinda big and bulky.

Can you post a pic or two of yours? I'll assume you had to drill out the plastic cover in the back for the rear end of the LED pod kit and wiring to come though...

How do you like the kit? Can you flash your lights? or does the LED have the same issues with fire-up times as an HID?

As far as I can see there are no issue on the K1300S mate, the complete package just disappeared inside the headlight housing and I didn't have to drill the plastic covers, run wires, etc. For the low beam I even added an extra piece of kit http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Kit_p_157.html and that too just went straight it to the housing. There is plenty of room there to even hide a body...

So far so good, took her for a spin the other day to test things out and they seem perfectly fine, can flash alright and the alignment seems good.

That said it was only a short 200 kms ride during the day. Planning on doing a night ride in the next few days.

I'll post a pic or two but there is really not a lot to look at, I simply removed the original bulb, replaced with the LED, pushed the remaining components in, plugged everything back together and replaced the cap. it was a bit trickier for the high beams as they sit lower and had to get creative but I think I had it all done in 30mins or so.

Diablo

There are two types of people in this world, people who ride motorcycles and people who wish they could ride motorcycles...
Old 05-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo
As far as I can see there are no issue on the K1300S mate, the complete package just disappeared inside the headlight housing and I didn't have to drill the plastic covers, run wires, etc. For the low beam I even added an extra piece of kit http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...Kit_p_157.html and that too just went straight it to the housing. There is plenty of room there to even hide a body...

So far so good, took her for a spin the other day to test things out and they seem perfectly fine, can flash alright and the alignment seems good.

That said it was only a short 200 kms ride during the day. Planning on doing a night ride in the next few days.

I'll post a pic or two but there is really not a lot to look at, I simply removed the original bulb, replaced with the LED, pushed the remaining components in, plugged everything back together and replaced the cap. it was a bit trickier for the high beams as they sit lower and had to get creative but I think I had it all done in 30mins or so.

Anything further on this? Stock H7 have a max legal output of between 1188 and 1512 lumens. Not sure how accurate that is. Cyclops at 4000 lumens is quite a jump. I'm interested, but don't want to get into an installation issue.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:17 PM
Shooting the gap

I fitted the cyclops LEDs on my brights as they are more suitable (IMO) for instant on/flash than HIDs (no warm-up time). I still have HID on my low beam though as even with the built-in fans on the LEDs I am worried about heat build-up associated with full-time running.

Here's another thread on it: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ctor+headlight

Also see post #11 (custom headlight conversion with projector and LED halo ring): http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...dlight+upgrade

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'stxman4' for this post:
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Shooting the gap

There are no physical or electrical issues with the Cyclops H7 bulbs. I ran mine for probably 10 hours straight other than fuel and food stops with all three lit. The housing was cooler than with the stock halogens. Only issue was a LAMPF error on the low beam after about 6 hours. I installed a canbus resistor on the spot and never had a problem again. It's only needed on the low beam. The total trip was a bit over 1400 miles and transit time was about 14 hours each way due to rain at night in both directions. No need to be afraid, just buy a set and enjoy them.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post: