I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,028 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger
Can you see me now??

Or… Installing HIDs in an R1200RS for Dummies...

I seldom ride at night, and I avoid urban riding as much as possible, but the main purpose of the installation was to make myself more visible.

Years ago, I installed one of Pirate’s HID light kits into the low beam headlight in my K1300S, and the improvement in lighting and visibility was remarkable. That installation was a plug & play slam dunk… no cutting or improvising… everything (the ballast and transformer) fit into the enclosed nacelle behind the OEM bulbs.

The installation on the R1200RS required a little more imagination, and I liked the result so much that I added a second one for the high beam.

I’ll be the first to admit that I have nowhere near the mechanical skills of many forum members, but after working through the installation of the low beam, the high beam installation was a snap. My photographic documentation leaves a bit to be desired… I think I was more focused on getting the job done than taking photos.

The first step, of course, was to the remove inner fairing panel, remove the conical plastic cap that covers the OEM bulb, unplug the OEM bulb, and remove the bulb.

Then, I cut a 7/8” hole through the center of the cap… the instructions said to cut a 21mm hole but a Milwaukee 7/8” hole saw was perfectly adequate at 22mm. The hole required a minor amount of cleanup to ensure a good weather seal.

I don’t know if there has been a change to the HID kits since my K13S installation, but the current kit has inseparable components required to be located on both sides of the cap that are too big to pass through the 22mm hole. So, I also had to make a radius cut through one side of the cap to feed the wiring though. I used a small hack saw for the slice, after removing the rubber gasket to protect it from damage.

Next, with wiring correctly positioned, was to reseal the radius cut for structural integrity and weatherproofing. I used this Loctite GO2 Gel product and clamped it for 24 hours, which worked perfectly. Before removing the clamp, I seated the rubber waterproofing disc into the hole to avoid putting any additional strain on the glue joint, and the joint remained strong and intact.

Next, I slid the red and black wiring spades into the OEM bulb connector. By trial and error, I discovered that the red (positive) wire went into the bottom of the OEM connector on the low beam side, and into the top of the OEM connector on the high beam side.

I connected the rest of the harness (ballast and transformer) and started the bike to ensure that the connections were correct prior to reassembling everything.

Once I had determined that HID bulb wiring was correct, I disconnected the harness and re-routed the wiring with the transformer and ballast placed out of the way below the inner fairing panel. I then reconnected the harness and re-installed the fairing panel… job complete.

Photos of the lights turned on don’t accurately depict the brightness, as the camera compensates for the light, but I can assure you that with both HIDs lit up it is freaking BRIGHT!!

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I rode two-up to a family gathering in the Los Angeles area… Auto Club said it was the heaviest traffic day of the year… 100+ miles and 2+ hours of lane splitting. I kept both HIDs lit up as I navigated between the row of cars, and there was a noticeable improvement in response from the cage pilots, so I am very pleased with the result… mission accomplished.
The following (15) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 11-25-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

Re: Can you see me now??

Saw pictures of the 405 on the news Webnesday evening. Lane splitting
was the way to go I bet.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 11-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

Nicely done, bra... I'll share this link with all the RS guys who ask how the install is...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 11-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Wow: Looks like a very sanitary install. Thank you for the careful documentation of the work!

Seeya
ATB
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,146 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

With a pictorial like that, even I could do it...

Well done.

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Nice! Clean install.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post: