I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,059 Times in 2,900 Posts

Leak at Oil Pump?

So, having spotted the dreaded leak at the seam of the engine and transmission, and knowing that the $1.00 o-ring failed, I brought the bike to the independent shop I use near me. While looking over the bike he noted that there was oil leaking from the oil pump housing. I did not recall reading about the oil pump seals failing, and as there is really no road salt in California there is little corrosion on these parts.

So, can the oil / water pump be rebuilt as the replacement part is about $800 US? Here's a few photos, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:45 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,047 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Leak at Oil Pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
So, having spotted the dreaded leak at the seam of the engine and transmission, and knowing that the $1.00 o-ring failed, I brought the bike to the independent shop I use near me. While looking over the bike he noted that there was oil leaking from the oil pump housing. I did not recall reading about the oil pump seals failing, and as there is really no road salt in California there is little corrosion on these parts.

So, can the oil / water pump be rebuilt as the replacement part is about $800 US? Here's a few photos, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

These Photos are a good start, HOWEVER these cannot do justice to a full visual inspection - being on-site with a 360 deg view of the whole underside.

Before concluding any parts change, I would say we need to clean up the whole area and check if leak comes for either of these 7 zones:
1) Oil pressure switch (see First attached photo)

2) Oil temp thermostat just above oil-cooler line. One side has a bolt the opposite side has a pressured cup held by a clip. (see First photo)

3) junction of oil cooler intermediate flange to engine case (Unlike K75, K100 or K1200LT, the K1200RS has a separate intermediate flange between oil-water pump and engine to hold oil cooler lines).

4) junction of oil-water pump to intermediate flange (front most junction of item 3 above)

5) Oil cooler hose banjos bolts seal to intermediate flange (2 alu sealing washers for each banjo bolts)

6) The famous "in-between" special seal that separates the oil to water in oil/water pump assy. this kind of leak will generally show up coming out of weep hole IF-AND-ONLY-IF the weep hole is not blocked full of crap (see 2nd photo).
One member (RolandS888) has posted a good write up on this seal replacement - in his post you can pretty much see all the parts mentioned above:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61454

7) an internal o-ring sealing one path in these pump flange:
This is part 26 in this diagram from MAX-BMW: https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/Diagra...=11111 460392

In any case, it would be very uncommon to have to replace pump assy. In most cases, you need to either change the special internal seal OR just reseal the front and rear junction of oil-cooler intermediate flange (no rigid gasket, just sealant). It is a tedious job that requires someone meticulous, but not very complicated (except the install of special middle seal as explained by RolandS - if this is leaking by weep hole)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200RS_Oil-Cooler-inlet-outlet.JPG (138.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg k1200RS_Weep_hole_water-oil-pump_4 (RolandS888).jpg (109.4 KB, 9 views)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,185 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Hey Craig,

You got the right guy to give you some needed advice !

Good luck with your repairs!

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 10-06-2018, 09:40 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,059 Times in 2,900 Posts

Thanks Jean, I was hoping you'd weigh in. I'll know more in a few days, but it seems as if the leak was originating from the weep hole. I'll update as I know more.