I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-02-2017, 09:44 PM
Entering the on-ramp

On the fence now.......for a K 1200 S

I wanted to reach out to all you BMW MC owners with a few questions about my buying a new to me 07 K1200S with 15K. I have owned ( over 40 to date ) , built, rebuilt MCs for over 56 years now so I am not new to the two wheeled world......I parked and sold my last bike in 2004 just prior to my daughters birth.......after being airlifted to USC medical center with multiple broken ribs and collar bone after hitting a healthy male deer chasing 3 equally healthy does......in Southern California......on my 01 Ducati 996 SPS..... My wife shared that helicopter ride with me....while pregnant.......and pleaded with me to put the two wheelers ( riding and road racing ) aside for a while with our daughter coming..... I obliged....and simply pursued other 4 wheel based ventures........and loved it all...till now. Motorcycles is in my blood and has always been a huge part of my life.... My daughter Summer is now 12.....loves everything I do.....and wants a mc..... My wife told me I now need to get another bike....because she knows it is something I cannot be without any longer.... At 62, I would love to spend time again working on lap times at PBIRs proper road course nearby......but first....I need a proper road bike... Ive owned everything from 71 850 Commandos... Honda CBR 1000Fs....Suzuki TL 1000s, Super Black Birds ( with linked brakes ).....Yamaha R1s.....Ducati 996 SPS track weapon.....KTM 620 Super Motos....etc etc etc..... Have many events under my belt at Willow Springs, Laguna Seca, Riverside Raceway ( now Im dating myself....as that was in 1985 ), Sears Point, Ontario Motor Speedway, Las Vegas...etc..... OK...enough said.....I love bikes....and really love road racing! What i need is a gentlemans' sport bike.........but with a slightly more upright riding position for comfort on longer rides..... which led me to BMWs...... I looked for 1200 GSs but felt they would be my next bike..... Saw a 05 K 1200S and started looking..........and found a silver with yellow wheeled 07 S with 15K......and some nice CF pieces, rear sets and a CF slip-on.... Bike appears to be immaculate...and at $ 6300....seemed fair. The issue is after really looking at reviews and specs, it became apparent the bike not only has ABS....but also has a linked brake system.... I have owned 1 bike with linked brakes........the Blackbird......and i sold it after it attempted to lock up the rear when I grabbed a handful of front brake going deep into a corner..... I gathered it up....drove home...exposed enough of the bike to see the brake line schematic emulated a map of the interstates in the US.......and sold it. I contacted Honda Motor Co and tried to get someone to explain why they put a linked braking system onto a bike that truly should only be ridden by riders who truly knew how to ride a upper open class superbike motorcycle.... I never received an answer that supported their decision.

I know there are riders that embrace ABS.....as well as linked brakes......and I accept that fact. We all are different and its best that way! I just choose to be in control of my brakes.........full control! On a track.......I use the front almost exclusively....except to slip the bike into certain corners where trail braking the rear can help positioning...

I liked the S a lot........as it seems to be a great blend of sport ....with some comfort. Not ready for a LT yet....... Like the GSs and Adventurers but with where we live, there really is no use of a dual sport MC...... If we lived in NC or TN...that would be an option.... I plan on buying a proper used race bike simply for some club racing/track days while I still have the feel for the track.....and really don't plan on " tracking" the S.....I,m afraid I would push it beyond its threshold thinking it will brake and turn in like a Panigale 1198R ....or an R1M......which it won't ! The reason why 1 bike eventually will not work.....

Go ahead, make a believer in buying this S.....Anyone actually remove the linked system? I know ABS can be disconnected.....its the linked system that concerns me.....

Thanks to all
Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 PM
Site Contributor

Re: On the fence now.......for a K 1200 S

Hi Craig. Keep in mind that the brake integration works when using the front lever. You can brake just the rear wheel by using the rear lever only. I have no where near the experience you have but can say that I spent a day at a track braking very hard with just the front brake lever on my old 06 k12s and I thought the braking was flawless. I think the ABS also works well. Kind of a last resort to save your bacon. Otherwise it just sits in the background and doesn't get in the way.
The 07 sounds great. Make sure the recalls have been done and the bikes been serviced on the proper schedule. Especially the changing of the brake fluid. Good luck.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Hi Craig, welcome

About linked brakes, is a fantastic mechanism, just you need to use it to see the benefits. Also if you like to feel the rear wheel simply use only the rear brake lever.

I never use the rear brake alone, IMO is not necessary.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:07 PM
Site Contributor

I never use the rear brake alone when out on the open road at speed. However, I do use it when stopping in town at slow speeds when there is gravel on the pavement, or making slow turns on dirt parking lots.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,579 Times in 628 Posts

Craig

Welcome. While I can understand that on the track a linked brake system + ABS is not what you want, on the road it's a different matter. I had an 06 K12 and since then have had 2 K13s, all with the linked brake/ABS system. I think the linked brake system works very well. I'm never conscious of it kicking in. 1 reason is that the Hossack front suspension limits the amount of dive when you apply the front brake - it's negligible. As for the ABS I've only ever had it kick in about 3 times in 10 years and usually because there's a bit of loose gravel or a bit of diesel on the road.
BMW R90S
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Site Contributor

As Welshman says you will rarely notice that the brakes are linked, and you would be hard pressed to get the ABS to kick on a good surface
Go test ride a K and see what you reckon......id say you cant go wrong
But we are a bit biased around here
Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Shooting the gap

I'm not sure about ABS disable function on the K1200S but it can be disabled on the K1300S using the ABS Button on the left handlebar control pod...but please note on page 58 of the K1300S Owners Manual when the "ABS function is deactivated, integral function continues to be active."

I have to say I like the way the integral function is implemented. Front Hand Lever controls all three Brake Calipers. Rear Foot Lever controls only the Rear Brake Caliper. Like you I mostly use the Front Lever exclusively. OTOH, using the rear lever only to reduce speed in a decreasing radius turn is my usual strategy.

Lastly, the K1300S Engine has 13:1 Compression Ratio...engine braking is fairly strong and is very useful for scrubbing off speed.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Site Contributor

There was a thread not to long ago discussing braking power and stopping distance with integrated systems. Of couse using the front lever resulted in most of the stopping power with the front wheel. But the general consensus was that one could shorten the stopping distance by adding additional braking power by also using the rear brake lever.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 05-03-2017, 01:38 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,579 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
There was a thread not to long ago discussing braking power and stopping distance with integrated systems. Of couse using the front lever resulted in most of the stopping power with the front wheel. But the general consensus was that one could shorten the stopping distance by adding additional braking power by also using the rear brake lever.

That might well be right but the brakes on the K12/K13 are excellent. One finger is generally enough and two fingers will bring you very quickly to a complete stop from a very high speed.
BMW R90S
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Site Contributor

That is true. On the track i never felt the need to use the rear lever. Braking power using just the front lever was more than adequate.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Well, things have changed....Bike I had placed a 50% deposit on ....at a dealership in Charlotte NC.....called today to tell me the sellers wife and the seller had an argument....and the result was she told him NOT TO SELL the 07 S........ It was a consignment bike..........so it seems there is no recourse..... I figure it wasn't meant to be.........so I am back on the hunt. Perhaps, the seller will experience something similar someday......

Now I am adding 1300Ss to my short list.......... Again......not looking for a track bike.......I,m just not ready for a RT, GT or LT............. Considered a OLDER air-cooled 1200 GS OR GS ADVENTURER as well but with where we live....just can't see buying a dual purpose bike.....

Wife told me today she actually would be OK if I bought another track bike....and a cruiser for the street because she never worried about my track riding.........like she did my canyon riding in S California...... She isn't real happy with my decision to ride on the road here in Florida where drivers seriously are brain dead like I have never seen before..... The problem is I need to ride MCs again......
Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 PM
Site Contributor

That may be a blessing in disguise. Most of the issues with the 12s were fixed in the latter years, but when BMW went to the 13s they created a significantly better bike. In particular the fueling is much more refined so the transition from on to off to on the throttle is much smoother. Shifting is much smoother on the 13s, and of course there is shift assist for up shifting. The chain tensioner was improved. Others here will point out other improvements. Good luck Craig.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
That may be a blessing in disguise. Most of the issues with the 12s were fixed in the latter years, but when BMW went to the 13s they created a significantly better bike. In particular the fueling is much more refined so the transition from on to off to on the throttle is much smoother. Shifting is much smoother on the 13s, and of course there is shift assist for up shifting. The chain tensioner was improved. Others here will point out other improvements. Good luck Craig.
Like he said.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:12 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Definitely go for a K1300S, worth paying a bit more for all the improvements.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 05-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Shooting the gap

Ditto on the K1300S! I found my 2011 model last August with only 1,148 miles for $10k. Not a single scratch on it. It was almost like buying a new one for nearly half price.

I have since made several changes. The one change I like the most is the Riser Plate for the Rear Suspension Linkage. It raises the rear ride height. The improvement in handling is nothing short of amazing!

Also note the K1300S has a forged aluminum Hossack Lower Control Arm that is lighter than on the K1200S and the geometry is changed for 7.6 mm less trail.

In fact, there were numerous changes made to the Engine, Clutch/Transmission, Suspension, Driveshaft, Throttle Cables, Exhaust, Switch Gear, Air Filters, 10 mm taller Engine Oil Filter, Electronics, and Body on the K1300S versus the K1200S. It seems no stone was left un-turned in the transition from K1200S to K1300S.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R111S
I have since made several changes. The one change I like the most is the Riser Plate for the Rear Suspension Linkage. It raises the rear ride height. The improvement in handling is nothing short of amazing!
Looks like you have made several significant changes and you like the riser plate change to most. Damn - I'm going to have to get some of those. Wonder if Beech is still making them.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 05-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Looks like you have made several significant changes and you like the riser plate change to most. Damn - I'm going to have to get some of those. Wonder if Beech is still making them.

Um...yes...Beech does sell these and for a fair price. I think he has some for sale too. He's a Certified Vendor on this site as well.

I didn't get mine from Beech. I had a machinist friend make me a set...only he made 6 sets and told me I can sell the others. I paid him $40 for each set - total of $240. I still have 3 sets for sale @$40 each.

I got in trouble with the Site Admins for posting them for sale on the iBMW site because I'm not a Certified Vendor. I must plead ignorance but that's no excuse. They were gracious though, and cut me some slack, as long as I don't sell any more than this batch. I must admit my post could be seen as a shady plug for my Kuykendahl Riser Plates...sorry.

But, no matter whose Riser Plates you get you won't be sorry...they flat work!