I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > All 'Other' Motorcycles
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

All 'Other' Motorcycles Discussions of other than BMW Motorcycles

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-19-2018, 07:57 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Yamaha FZ-10

I test rode this 2017 FZ-10 yesterday at the dealer.

It had 2,300 miles, an aftermarket shield, luggage rack and sliders. Asking $9,890. Out the door price $10,919.34.

First thing I noticed was the noise. It's a stock can but it sounds loud to me. Most would love the sound but I've come to appreciate quiet. I like the seating position. I felt "right there". Without the aftermarket shield the feeling would be even more in your face. I like it! Seat felt molded to my butt and the bars were very comfortable. Coming from the K1200RS one feels the short wheel base.
You really feel it when you crank the throttle and use the quick shifter. The front wheel wants to climb. While very fast I some how expected even more. I'm not complaining I just thought it would scare the sh#t out of me and it didn't.
I rode for about 25 minutes and did not have any twisties to run through so I can't judge the handling very well. What I did experience was delightful.
Started out in Standard and quickly went to A mode. You can really feel the difference. In B mode all the power is there and there quickly but not smoothly. There's a small hesitation when trying to lightly give it power and then a snap as the throttle engages. I really don't like that.
As I came back into traffic I could feel a bit of heat coming off the right side. Not excessive but there.

I don't think it's for me. I like the electric like smoothness of the inline four and while this is an inline four, that Crossplane Crank doesn't feel smooth to me.

I'm saving for the S1000R.

It would be great if someone brings one to The DGR and lets me ride it!!!

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pete_Tallahassee' for this post:
Old 08-19-2018, 10:59 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,884 Times in 1,140 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy
Re: Yamaha FZ-10

Nice looking bike and probably bulletproof unlike the recent Bmeeers.....I got on the Ape today for a 100 mile ride....just canít seem to get enough of that little rascal ....you wouldnít enjoy it though....the exhaust sounds like a Maserati but with my Sena and music, itís a low growl everyone seems to give me a thumbs up when they see or hear it coming

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 08-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,525 Times in 3,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Nice looking bike and probably bulletproof unlike the recent Bmeeers.....I got on the Ape today for a 100 mile ride....just canít seem to get enough of that little rascal ....you wouldnít enjoy it though....the exhaust sounds like a Maserati but with my Sena and music, itís a low growl everyone seems to give me a thumbs up when they see or hear it coming
Paul:
You should have rode to NYST a beautiful day. It's going to be great tomorrow ride over the event is not sold out.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-20-2018, 12:02 AM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Paul:
You should have rode to NYST a beautiful day. It's going to be great tomorrow ride over the event is not sold out.

Ugh ...have fun, be safe....October is probably my best chance to hit the track...
Keep me posted

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,038 Times in 396 Posts

This bike is a great value for the performance. When they went with the cross plane R1 engine in it I think it transformed this bike from the old FZ1. I'd still take my 1290 R over this bike every time but for the money, it can't be beat. And, I've always said that the S1000R is the best bang for the buck in the entire BMW store.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Nice looking bike and probably bulletproof unlike the recent Bmeeers.....I got on the Ape today for a 100 mile ride....just can’t seem to get enough of that little rascal ....you wouldn’t enjoy it though....the exhaust sounds like a Maserati but with my Sena and music, it’s a low growl everyone seems to give me a thumbs up when they see or hear it coming

Paul, if money were no object. I might go for that Aprilia.
Wow, I just had a thought Paul. About the time I turn 70 you should be looking for an upgrade to that bike. Perhaps we could make a deal?

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
2000 K1200RS RED
2017 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
2018 BMW S1000R Catalano Gray

"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
Wow, I just had a thought Paul. About the time I turn 70 you should be looking for an upgrade to that bike. Perhaps we could make a deal?

Pete, Iíve been watching that bike for 2 model years now, and you can find loads of new leftovers the following winter, at many $000ís off list. Theyíre usually gone by the spring.

Donít confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

ĎNarcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.í Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 08-20-2018, 03:13 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee

Johns spot on! Check out AF1 racing forum for some pretty smokin deals....John will be sending you links for the next year too ...70? I thought you just did turn 70

I still laugh over what I paid for this incredible machine!

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 08-20-2018, 03:27 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

"I'm saving for the S1000R."
You're looking in my zone. Smaller and lighter but with plenty of fun HP. I have owned two S1000R's. I sole the 15 because I wanted some features on the 17 and the color. I have to say, I'm stuck in a rut buying BMW's but not opposed to other bikes. Parts from BMW in the USA are just plain robbery lately. Now I have to say with over 20K miles on my S bikes I have had no problems. And, the S1000R is absolutely nuts over 6000 RPM. If you do a three gear run to 10000 RPM it will have your attention. Some deals at the dealer right now, maybe you can get a 2018 at your price point (not ten grand though).

My K13S, sits lonely in the garage these days.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Paul,

The Tuono continues to hold my attention more than anything else out there. Curious to ask you however as I do not have a dealer anywhere close, I get that it's a sport bike, but would it be possible to put any kind of luggage on the bike to make use of it as a pseudo sport tourer? I keep thinking that's what I want to try, but I haven't seen where Givi or anybody else makes any "real" luggage for it currently.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 08-20-2018, 06:03 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Paul,

The Tuono continues to hold my attention more than anything else out there. Curious to ask you however as I do not have a dealer anywhere close, I get that it's a sport bike, but would it be possible to put any kind of luggage on the bike to make use of it as a pseudo sport tourer? I keep thinking that's what I want to try, but I haven't seen where Givi or anybody else makes any "real" luggage for it currently.

Yep, mostly Europeans have placed soft bags on their bikes...you can find some threads on AF1....I put a tail bag on as I didnít want a tank bag taking away from its sexy lines

Iíve seen some Givi and while efficient are downright ugly on this bike.

04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD

Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Paul,

There are decent aftermarket luggage options for the RSV4 and Tuono. I saw a RSV4 just the other day at Revzilla with a nice set of soft bags. They were small but you could probably cram a few days worth of stuff in them. Checkout www.apriliaforum.com and do a search for luggage.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post: