I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Can you trust a non BMW dealer to change your tires?

It's that time for my first tire change and my dealer's Tire change machine is damaged. Can I trust a non BMW dealer to safely change my tires and not mess up my wheels in the process?
Old 04-23-2015, 08:20 AM
Postmeister

Re: Can you trust a non BMW dealer to change your tires?

depends on the shop, i've had non-bmw shops change my tires and never had a issue. there's a honda/yamaha dealership only 10 minutes from my house that i use for tire changes, inspections, oil changes and other mundane work and they've always done a great job plus they're cheaper than the closest bmw shop.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'wellcraft' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

They might not have the adaptor to balance the rear wheel.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 08:54 AM
I wasn't speeding Officer

Send a message via AIM to Stick52

I had no problem with doing that
'98 Honda VFR Interceptor 800fi
Ducati Multistrada 1200S -sold
SV650s -sold
K1300 SLava Orange- sold
Gixxer 600 track bike - sold
K12 GT -sold
Ducati 999 - sold
R6 track bike- sold
K12R Sport - sold wish I hadn't
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Stick52' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,163 Times in 2,084 Posts

I use another shop for tires without a concern. But it will absolutely depend on the shop and if they hire monkeys it'd be best to go somewhere that will fix/replace any damaged parts.

Keyboard Hero! Let the games BEGIN!!!

A product of "unfortunate upbringing..."

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Retirement is Fleeting

Jonathan,
Take a trip across the pond and go to Max. Two locations in Connecticut but going to Brookfield is the nicer ride. Maybe 40 minutes from the CT side of the Port Jeff ferry. They will do it while you wait as long as you call for an appointment. Not only is it a nice trip but it will be done correctly.
Just a thought.....
Old 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Site Contributor

You just have to find a shop with a good reputation. I have never had the dealer change tires. I find a deal on line, take the wheels off and take them in to a guy. Just ask around. First as the someone said, they have to have an adapter for the hub on the rear tire. Also, ask if the shop has a water filter/dryer on their air compressor. It sounds silly, BUT, soon after last tire change my front TPM sensor stopped working. The bike is still under warranty and took it to dealer. Apparently the tec said that when he took the tire off after seeing that the sensor was not communicating with the ECU he found some moisture in the tire. Now, he said water or moisture can cause the sensor to fail. I don't know if I buy that, but they replaced the sensor and was fixed at no charge. I did a little research and yes, some of the better, more expensive air compressors have a water, moisture, dryer on them.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'pmorritt' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Consistent with what some others have said, I think it's more important to look at the type of tire-changing equipment they use and that they have the required adapters for balancing. For tire-changing, you want one of those "no-mar" types that grip inside the flange with plastic fingers and has an adjustable support to keep the tire iron from touching the outside flange.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBanks
It's that time for my first tire change and my dealer's Tire change machine is damaged. Can I trust a non BMW dealer to safely change my tires and not mess up my wheels in the process?

You should get a few of your riding buds to go in on a no-mar and you guys can change your own tires. You'd pay for it in no time and it would give you another excuse to get together and drink beers..
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tward' for this post:
Old 04-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,360 Times in 3,113 Posts

Jonathan:

All good suggestions - I especially like the doing it yourself the best. Another possibility - most Cycle Gears will do it for you while you wait if you bring the wheels in - again just make sure they have the adaptors.

I bought my NoMar tire machine in 2004 it paid for itself after the 3rd tire change. Not to mention you don't have to go anywhere to do the tires - go to your garage when you want - take your time and done - and done correctly.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks guys for all your great suggestions. The first notable non BMW shop I called delayed when i told them what bike I had and then quickly spurted out 95.00/tire..... NOT! So, I took a chance and called Manhattan BMW for kicks just knowing that my hair would be on fire when they quoted me NYC prices. However, to my surprise, it was 25.00 cheaper than my local dealership in Long Island and they didn't have any problem putting on tires that I ordered from an online retailer. They're also running a spring special on oil changes for 100 bucks, so I feel like I hit pay dirt! Tire change is costing me 150.00 and their going to do both while I wait knowing I have an upcoming ride.

I would really like to invest in a Tire changer, but I don't think I have enough space in my one car garage with two bikes... Maybe the next house

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Shooting the gap

I will be trying cyclegear in edison, nj. 20/tire if you buy from them and bring wheels but they take 1 to 2 days.
free balancing for life of tire.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Crashing the net!!!

I'm with the DIY guys. Youtube some tire changing videos, you can do it.

Me, instead of springing for the pricey entire nomar setup, bought the nomar bar for I think $140 shipped, and I use the harbor freight setup for the rest. I recently did the redhead drop in anchors in my garage floor to mount the setup and is removable easily to get it out of the way. But anyway, $200 of equipment paid for itself very quickly and I'm even less ignorant of how things work than I was before.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 05-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBanks
Thanks guys for all your great suggestions. The first notable non BMW shop I called delayed when i told them what bike I had and then quickly spurted out 95.00/tire..... NOT! So, I took a chance and called Manhattan BMW for kicks just knowing that my hair would be on fire when they quoted me NYC prices. However, to my surprise, it was 25.00 cheaper than my local dealership in Long Island and they didn't have any problem putting on tires that I ordered from an online retailer. They're also running a spring special on oil changes for 100 bucks, so I feel like I hit pay dirt! Tire change is costing me 150.00 and their going to do both while I wait knowing I have an upcoming ride.

I would really like to invest in a Tire changer, but I don't think I have enough space in my one car garage with two bikes... Maybe the next house

Thanks again guys!!!

As I just mentioned, it doesn't take much of any space if you use the redhead drop in anchors, makes it easily removable with nothing sticking out of the floor after removed.

Lots of youtube vids to learn from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y__tB6_rRM

But in any case, it is bolted to the floor, you just unbolt it when your done and stash it somewhere. Unlike the Nomar setup, which is nice, but bulky I think as for removing when not in use.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 AM
Getting up to speed

I wouldn't use BMW to change tyres. Far too expensive and unnecessary.
I always use a local reputable certified tyre company who will sell, balance and fit them for me with a certified knowledgeable mechanic.
As long as I use the tyre manufacutuers recommended models for the bike I am cool.
Personally I always like Michellin. They get sticky quick enough for me and the Pilot Power series has always done me well on my last bike.
The company I use allows me to hang around and have a chat while he does his work too. Very relaxed and always quality work.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Take a ride. $40 mount and balance on the bike MVCW Mount Vernon, WA.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrich
I wouldn't use BMW to change tyres. Far too expensive and unnecessary.
I always use a local reputable certified tyre company who will sell, balance and fit them for me with a certified knowledgeable mechanic. ...

My BMW dealer in Santa Fe is actually one of my cheaper options. The tech is very knowledgeable/methodical and they don't mind me hanging out in the shop. An independent shop wanted a bunch of additional labor for the CF wheels even though they didn't charge any extra the first time they mounted them...if the message was they didn't want to mess with them...message received.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

My local BMW dealer (also Honda dealer) does not charge for tyre fitting so long as the bike was purchased from them and you also buy the tyres through them, any other bike they charge $40 per wheel on bike and $25 each off bike regardless of where you got the tyres, our local Kawasaki dealer also does the same, the Harley/Suzuki/Yamaha/Ducati/KTM place charges $65 per wheel with no discount or rebate even if you bought the bike off them, two independents are charging $55 on bike and $35 off each.
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Twisted Wrister

I always change my own.

I'm a cheap bastage though
Old 10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Shooting the gap

You don't need BMW to change your tires. You could learn to do it yourself. A couple hundred dollars in tools will get you started if you don't mind grunting and groaning to remove and mount them. Less if you are creative and make some of the tools. Speaking of, you can make an adapter to balance the rear wheel for $6-7 dollars out of pvc parts from Home Depot.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=Home+depot
Old 10-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

JBanks, check out the Cycle Hill changer. I have one and it disassembles easily for storage in the corner of my garage, takes up hardly any space. Pays for itself quickly. Watch the associated YouTube videos and you'll find it's easy to use.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycl...p/tc-ch100.htm
Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTexRider
JBanks, check out the Cycle Hill changer. I have one and it disassembles easily for storage in the corner of my garage, takes up hardly any space. Pays for itself quickly. Watch the associated YouTube videos and you'll find it's easy to use.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/Cycl...p/tc-ch100.htm

I have a Harbor Freight Stand/Bead Breaker and a No Mar mount/demount bar. Have around $200 total in it.

I will say that the Cycle Hill changer looks like a quality piece of kit and would probably spend the extra $200 if I had to do ot all over again.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Not much of a dealer selection around me so I took my Gen I VMax to the LBS (Local Bike Shop) for new sneakers. About a month later I noticed the front tire was mounted backwards! A little research later I ordered a N0-Mar knock off...Wicko (or something like that), it was cheap and I had to beef it up with some welds but it's been changing tires now for over 10 yrs without a hitch. An eBay $49 bench top static balancer works very well also. Buying tires on-line from one of the big suppliers (Bike Bandit, Tires Unlimited, etc.) saves even more $'s.

IMO DIY is the way to go, you set your own schedule and you know it's done right.

This reminds me, I have a Wunderlich balance adapter for the K1300S that I no longer need....might's well put it in the classified's.
'96 VMax 1200 carburetor test stand
Old 06-07-2016, 09:14 AM
Getting up to speed

Here in London my dealer actively encouraged me to use an independent tyre service - got the feeling they were too busy for such a simple task.... Back in the days when I did get the dealer to change the tyres, I don't recall them being massively different in price, but the turn up and fit service from the independent was so much more convenient than having to book an appointment x weeks from the call to the dealer..
Old 06-07-2016, 04:21 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Yes, find an independent shop for the work. Any shop has to charge full hourly rates fee whether it is just a tire or they have the camshafts out of the head. And you don't want a complete no nothing doing your tires anyway. There are bolts to be torqued properly, rims not to be scratched that sort of stuff. And you want them balanced. So ask if they have the proper adapter for the rear wheel to do the balance work. I'm sure there are plenty of good shops around a city that large. Make a list of the torque values for the items needed. Front brake calipers, rear wheel bolts, front axle, front pinch bolts are the basics.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.