I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Getting up to speed

Transmission clearance

<calm...very calm>

Is there some magical technique, something I gotta sacrifice, some way to get the trans to clear the Frame on the RH side? I have almost 3mm solid interference between the trans housing and the frame on that side. The trans mounting tab isn't even close to clear of the mount point in the frame, so I can't just push engine/trans to one side to buy clearance. Trying to tilt either the motor or the frame is silly, since the one comes with the other. Not that I haven't tried that.

I read the Clymer, and both versions of the factory instructions, and followed them, except for raising the bike and lowering the engine/trans, which seems to be accepted practice. Both manuals mention that interference will happen if the frame isn't raised straight. Bike is level in the cradle I built, and I got interference with both a tranny lift and a floor jack. Moving the floor jack to different points on the sump made no difference at all.
Front engine mounts are loosened, crossmember bolts are not. I didn't drop the battery box yet, but that shouldn't matter. When/if I get this trans out, I'm going to take a nice big mill file and knock about 3mm off the inside of the frame at that point. Ugly, but at this point IDGAF.

I got this bike from a VERY highly credentialed helicopter engineer, and it's been a f'in nightmare. Between shitty mechanicery ( like grease under the twist grip, and a "just-done" valve adjustment that was utterly wrong), unearthly oil consumption, and 120psi across the board, I'm just about done.

If anyone has the hint for getting this effing transmission past the frame, so I don't have to listen to dying bearing anymore, I would greatly appreciate it.

-HR

1971 Honda CB350. Long gone
1973 Kawasaki S2 Mach II. Ridden to death.
1972 Yamaha XS650. Ridden to death.
1978 BMW R100RS. Foolishly sold.
1987 K75/76/751. Old friend. Currently getting TLC.
1998 K1200RS. Barnstormer. New acquaintance.

& many, many bicycles.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:12 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: Transmission clearance

Minimal clearance is normal. A practice that is used is to put a Mylar sheet between the frame and the gearbox, this will prevent scratching. Undo all the bolts, get the battery box out and pull, it will come out. If you are studying it with it all still bolted up it may look like there is no room but there is. I assume you have raised the frame?
Old 09-04-2018, 05:19 AM
Site Contributor

Loosen the front engine mount bolts a lot, but obviously do not remove them. Slacken these off and that will help heaps. I used a takeaway container lid, trimmed of the edges so it was a flat piece of plastic and slide it between the tranny and the frame during removal and install. I also used a small bottle jack under the R/H side frame to help 'twist' the frame upwards to allow the motor/transmission drop down cleanly. Good idea to remove the cross member before proceeding further.
Hope this helps.

1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Granddads ride
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Flying Kiwi' for this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:08 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,060 Times in 578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
<calm...very calm>

Is there some magical technique, something I gotta sacrifice, some way to get the trans to clear the Frame on the RH side? I have almost 3mm solid interference between the trans housing and the frame on that side. The trans mounting tab isn't even close to clear of the mount point in the frame, so I can't just push engine/trans to one side to buy clearance. Trying to tilt either the motor or the frame is silly, since the one comes with the other. Not that I haven't tried that.

I read the Clymer, and both versions of the factory instructions, and followed them, except for raising the bike and lowering the engine/trans, which seems to be accepted practice. Both manuals mention that interference will happen if the frame isn't raised straight. Bike is level in the cradle I built, and I got interference with both a tranny lift and a floor jack. Moving the floor jack to different points on the sump made no difference at all.
Front engine mounts are loosened, crossmember bolts are not. I didn't drop the battery box yet, but that shouldn't matter. When/if I get this trans out, I'm going to take a nice big mill file and knock about 3mm off the inside of the frame at that point. Ugly, but at this point IDGAF.

I got this bike from a VERY highly credentialed helicopter engineer, and it's been a f'in nightmare. Between shitty mechanicery ( like grease under the twist grip, and a "just-done" valve adjustment that was utterly wrong), unearthly oil consumption, and 120psi across the board, I'm just about done.

If anyone has the hint for getting this effing transmission past the frame, so I don't have to listen to dying bearing anymore, I would greatly appreciate it.

-HR

You have already received some good hint in previous posts.
Having done the job AND having followed many similar jobs on two forums dedicated to K1200RS / K1200LT, my suggestions are:

At the minimum:
1) remove cross-member completely

THEN, to aid further:
2) temporarely replace both front engine support bolts (to crankcase) for long 1/4 or 6mm bolts. This will give some wiggle room to the engine+trans assy.

Of course, you need to support front of engine (under oil filter cover area) while you swap each long bolt ONE BY ONE. The left side bolt has a nut somewhat behind radiator. The right side normally threads directly into engine case (you can put a nut there during the job to secure it). The left side bolt needs to be at least 70mm long (3 inch roughly) and the right side should be at least 100mm (4 inches)

As a last option, if needed:
3) top of transmission has 2 rubber bushing where the main long frame bolt goes thru. One of these bushing has TORX bolts the other has ALLEN bolts. The bushinh with ALLEN bolt can be loosened so that the bushing may move and give some added side wiggle room.

CLYMER explains fairly well in chapter 6 (transmission) how to re-align the moved bushing when transmission+engine will be back into the frame.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 09-04-2018, 10:23 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Offset the jack(or stand) under the engine to the left.Then a bar clamp to move the engine left if required.

Jack or stand centered under the pan?That pushes the engine to the right and transmission won't clear the frame.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)