I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

INNOVV K2 Camera / Recorder

Anyone here installing or using the INNOVV K2 video recording system? I am about to start and the documentation is somewhat lacking.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,928 Posts

Re: INNOVV K2 Camera / Recorder

Not heard of it before you posted. Looks like a nice device. Be curious to hear how it works for you once you get it set up? So keep us posted.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Twisted Wrister

It was just released in July of this year. The mechanics of installation (mounting and wiring) will not be difficult. The operation, features, and interface are not well documented. As an early surfacing issue, I can get the app from the Google Play Store on my Samsung phone but not on my Samsung tablet.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get started.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,057 Times in 409 Posts

Those guys are well known for their lack of quality control. I had one of the earlier models replaced and then ended up throwing the thing in the trash. I'm not at all a fan of INNOVV and I hope they've sorted things out and you have better luck than I.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
WPV
Old 09-05-2018, 11:44 AM
Twisted Wrister

I bought this based on the Web Bike World online review of the INNOVV K1, and that many of the criticisms there had been addressed in the K2. I agree that any of these Pac Rim lesser known electronics are a bit of a gamble. The instructions that came with the unit are severely lacking. For example, the mounting requirements for the GPS antenna are not addressed.

The position of the front camera is still problematic. The best location may hit the front fender on full suspension compression. Does anyone know the amount of travel available on the front suspension from static sag to full compression, or the space between the bottom of the headlight surround and front fender at full compression?
Old 09-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,176 Times in 2,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
The position of the front camera is still problematic. The best location may hit the front fender on full suspension compression. Does anyone know the amount of travel available on the front suspension from static sag to full compression, or the space between the bottom of the headlight surround and front fender at full compression?

If it were me I'd place the camera on a static position. If mounted on the fender the movement of the camera against the background can be dizzy making. I don't like to watch helmet mounted camera videos for that reason.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
If it were me I'd place the camera on a static position. If mounted on the fender the movement of the camera against the background can be dizzy making. I don't like to watch helmet mounted camera videos for that reason.

I agree. I was looking at mounting it under the headlight surround above the front fender. My concern is the front fender hitting the camera as it came up in compression of the front suspension.

I am way out on the limb here. I am told that the U.S. dealers did not receive the initial issue until 5 September (today). I placed a direct order so I have had mine for a few days. I will be posting as it goes, but am in no hurry to get this done.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Not an INNOV install but a cheap (30) eBay dual camera set up; I have the front camera just below the oil cooler - seems to work well.

IMG_20180905_233209.jpg
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jb62' for this post:
WPV
Old 09-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb62
Not an INNOV install but a cheap (30) eBay dual camera set up; I have the front camera just below the oil cooler - seems to work well.

Attachment 29044

Thanks. What is the vertical dimension of your camera as mounted?
Old 09-06-2018, 03:21 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Does this help...

IMG_20180906_071730_464.jpg
Past: Norton Commando 850, Honda CB750 K1, Suzuki GS550 (twice), Suzuki GS850 '81, Suzuki GS1000 '82, Triumph Speed Triple '98, Yamaha V-Max '06, Yamaha FZ-1 '08, Kawasaki 1400GTR '10, Triumph Explorer 1200 XC '14
Current: BMW K1300S '12
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jb62' for this post:
WPV
Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Twisted Wrister

Thanks JB62 It may have been a wasted effort.

It is beginning to seem PittsDriverWes' observation was more accurate than I expected and am posting an update.

The components appear of excellent quality. The wires from the power adapter (on-off delay and 5vdc supply) and the GPS antenna are connected to the DVR by inline plug and socket connectors with an O-ring and a threaded collar or bezel to secure them together. The male side of these plugs is on the GPS lead and female side is on the power supply lead to prevent cross wiring.

The connectors slid together with no problem and seated fully. BUT - When I tried to thread the collar onto the connector, it would go on less than one turn on both connectors. This allowed the plug to partially slide out of the socket. The collar was aligned properly and there was no sign of cross threading.

I contacted INNOVV fully describing this problem, and a couple of minor observations about other things.

The reply from INNOVV was that the connector problem was a known issue to be corrected in further production. In their opinion, I should just use the loose connectors because they felt it would remain waterproof and that the connection (continuity) would not be lost. No other correction was offered.

I have requested a return shipping label and refund, or replacement K2 with the corrected connectors. I will update the situation as it evolves. In the meantime, you are warned.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Fuse lit...

Sorry to hear of your troubles and that they still haven't figured out how to make a decent product. Send that POS back and look in to this system:

https://motoprocam.com

I recently put this system on my GS and my 1290 R. It's not perfect but my main complaint is that the cables are too long. The video quality is pretty good (1080p) and it records front and rear simultaneously to different files so you have both views separately. It also as a G sensor and will lock up the recent video in the event of a, ah, kinetic event.

If you look on the videos page of their web site and scroll down to the 1290 R installation, that's me doing the install on my Super Duke. There's a bit of ride video at the end of the installation video if you're interested. If you guys are interested I'll post up a more extensive review.

Here's the installation video on vimeo which seems to show it with better quality than youtube:

https://vimeo.com/277307972

If you go to the 14:00 minute mark on the video you'll some ride video from both cameras.

Wes
Old 09-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Twisted Wrister

PayPal is in charge now. I believe this could be a quality product with better QC and with some debugging time. It is unfortunate that they decided to release it with known defects and marginal documentation.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Fuse lit...

I just saw on Facebook that MotoProCam has a promotion going on to get the newer water proof DVR version for $250.

https://motoprocam.com/products/moto...gust+Cheeky+Ad

Use this code at checkout: 10%918

The systems that I have are all completely weather proof except for the DVR itself which I put in a bag tucked under the seat. The new version is all waterproof.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:01 PM
Twisted Wrister

INNOVV has apparently had a tech guy respond. They used different size parts so the collar was too small for the mating half of the connector. He has offered two options.

The first is that they will send me a replacement GPS antenna with the correct plug (great so far) AND a replacement wire with the correct plug for the DVR. I am to open the DVR and install the wire. He cited that this would be an excellent opportunity for me to see how the DVR is built. Yea right. When the system failed for any reason, it would be because I opened the DVR.

The second is that the system could be returned (probably to China) for repair with a minimum turn-around time of two weeks. There was no mention as to who would pay for shipping there and back, and I am guessing it would take considerably longer than two weeks.

Having had a bad experience with a Chinese vendor a while back, I offered him a third option. INNOVV should send me a prepaid shipping label to return the system and refund my PayPal account. I like the system and the extra features, but I would like it better after it has been on the streets for a while.

The saga continues.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Twisted Wrister

The INNOVV representative was wrong. The collar is not the wrong size as I was told. It turns out that the collar on the wire connectors got distorted so that they are slightly oval instead of round. This prevented them from tightening.

One of the dealers in Europe came up with the solution for INNOVV. The solution is to use a hair dryer to soften the reshape the collar to round. Then while still pliable, screw the collar onto the connector. I put some silicone grease on the threads to insure the plastic did not bond and make the connection permanent.

While this seems to solve the initial wiring problem, I have little trust in product knowledge within customer service at INNOVV.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Fuse lit...

I hate to be a real kill-joy here and I have no experience with the newest version of these things but I can't help but think that all your efforts are going to be akin to trying to figure out how to pick up the turd by the clean end.

I hope it ultimately works out for you and I'll the first to congratulate you and see the video when you get it all up and working.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
WPV
Old 09-14-2018, 09:20 AM
Twisted Wrister

With the connector collar problem corrected, I was able to bench check the system. It powered up as advertised.

Problems discussed on the INNOVV forum now include App issues with newer Samsung phones (my 8+ has glitches), no app for Android tablets using OS earlier than 5.1 (my Tab E won't work), with park mode active it will drain a battery in about six days, vibrations in normal riding will trigger the G switch in park mode and create unneeded files, the audio is not good, status lights are in the DVR typically mounted under the seat.

Another consideration is to add the price of a high speed micro disk to the purchase price.

You need deeper than average computer / phone / tablet OS / camera knowledge and experience with other cameras to understand this. I'm in the deep end of the pool here. More later.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Twisted Wrister

Working on the K2 installation. This is being provided to help any who might consider using the INNOVV K2.

The DVR is mounted to the wiring connectors for the ECU and partially under the cross brace using hook and loop tape. I didn't want to mount it to the ECU because of potential heat issues. I do not know yet if there will be an EMI problem when the engine is running. Because the hook and loop material created an uneven surface, I used a narrow strip of the packing foam under the opposite edge of the DVR to dampen vibration.

The Power Converter is approximately 1 inch by 1 1/4 inches and is mounted directly to the ECU on the opposite corner under the cross brace using hook and loop tape.

There is no good place on the K1300S to mount these cameras using the INNOVV mounts without drilling holes where you don't want to drill holes. Front fender clearance and 120 degree camera field of view are considerations for the front camera. The rear area is fairly open so camera mounting is the only consideration. A clear view of the sky and no mounting provision on the antenna itself are considerations for the GPS antenna.

My rear camera is mounted under the cargo platform at the very back using the INNOVV mount. The underside of the platform becomes curved as you look forward, so hiding the camera and still providing a stable mount and allowing a 120 degree view is limited. You just have to get over the appearance. Now that I have already drilled a hole in the platform, I may look at an alternative mount. Yea, I know.

The GPS antenna is mounted on top of the cargo platform at the very back using 3M two sided tape. I used two layers with a hole in the center to cover the screw head of the camera mount. I considered placing the antenna on the top of the front brake reservoir using hook and loop tape, but decided that I didn't want to clutter the handle bar area.

The front camera mount is still in the works. The plan is to reinforce the cross bar in front of the bottom of the oil cooler with a piece of aluminum, then use a RAM Ball system to place the camera forward for field of view and to clear the front fender at full compression of the suspension. Vibration may be a problem. The two RAM Balls are on order (that will be one pissed off Goat). It will be a while before I know how this will work.

System operation is still a bit off. There are compatibility issues with certain Android devices, especially tablets, using certain Operating systems. The folks at INNOVV think these issues are relatively minor. Apparently Samsung phones are not popular in China so those problems are minor in the rest of the world. The camera mounts are threaded (not well) in 1/4-20. INNOVV is considering changing to 6mm because it is "more available". I am hoping that App and firmware upgrades will solve most of those problems. Some issues are promised to be fixed in future production which is of no help to current owners. This seems to be a good concept device. You should consider it - in about a year.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM
Fuse lit...

I'd love to see some photos of your mounting solutions please? I've successfully (so far) used 3M double sided tape that came with my cameras and it's survived some pretty rough treatment. One of the keys to mounting is to find a place that is not so much subject to vibration or your video will make your eyes jiggle. I didn't account for that at first and had to move the front camera on my GS to a bar mount on one of my crash bars.

I get it that you're working with a 1300S but here's a few photos for anyone interested on a GS. This first on is the bad location on the front:

Moved it to here and it's fine with very little interference in the field of view:

And the rear camera:
Old 09-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Twisted Wrister

I'll get photos transferred from my camera to my computer soon. I already suspect that the rear camera will be shaky because it is on the very back end of the cargo platform.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Twisted Wrister

INNOV K2 installation

IM000150.JPG
Installed Power Converter (left) and DVR (right)
Held in place by Velcro

IM000154.JPG
Installed rear camera
GPS antenna (on top of platform) mounted with 3M trim tape
Old 09-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Twisted Wrister

INNOV K2 Front camera mount

IM000117.JPG
Front camera mount parts

IM000123.JPG
Assembled mount

IM000138.JPG
Installation location

IM000143.JPG
Completed installation
Old 09-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

The good news is that the installation is complete. Assuming no camera shake issues which I cannot check, I am happy with all but the GPS antenna location. The bad news is that the developer decided that little emphasis was to be devoted to developing the App compatibility for Android devices because "Samsung phones are not popular in China". The system is operated and monitored through the App. The instructions for the operation in no way resemble my Samsung S8+. I was able to do a quick bench check prior to installation, but now am unable to make operational settings or view videos with my cell phone. Promises are being made for improvements. The cameras are functioning and DVR recording. In event of an accident or to view a ride, I can insert the memory card in my computer. If I find the magic combination of Android options that will make the system connect, I'll let you know.

Wait a year before buying the INNOVV K2.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Twisted Wrister

Final entry: The INNOVV K2 Camera System is being shipped back to the dealer.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Fuse lit...

Sorry to hear that those guys still haven't figured out how to make a real product.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
Twisted Wrister

I made sure to get mine shipped back early. It sounds like the dissatisfied ranks are mounting. I am not sure how many returns this small company can absorb. I hope they can get the system working. It is a good concept.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Getting up to speed

Wow. I almost bought one of these. The video of the BMW owner riding around his housing development with a K1, looked really good. I figured the K2 would be even better. I had no idea they were having all these quality problems.

FWIW, I ended up buying a HaloCam M1 on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/HaloCam-Motor.../dp/B07D371DRF

I posted reviews on a number of forums. The one on ADV Rider has some videos. You'll have to uncollapse post 25 to view some videos I posted there last night.

I have had overall good luck with mine. I had some corrupt video issues with mine initially. There was a camera problem and their customer service was super in replacing it quickly at no cost. The biggest issue though was the Samsung EVO memory card that Amazon recommends purchasing with the camera. It isn't fast enough. I returned it and bought a SanDisk Extreme Pro and I'm really happy with how the system works.

If you're still looking for a dash camera that can double as an "action" camera, you might want to take a look at it.

Chris
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Daboo' for this post:
Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Twisted Wrister

Thanks. I've had my fill of it for now. If I get interested again, I will look for a self contained unit that has been on the market at least a year.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Twisted Wrister

Go to:

The concept:
https://www.innovv.com/innovv-k2
Reality:
https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/k2.273/