I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Born to ride

TechNiche Cooling Vest

Anyone have experience with a TechNiche cooling vest? With temperatures here over 105 we need something.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 AM
Getting up to speed

Re: TechNiche Cooling Vest

No experience with that brand. But, we ride with coolvest they are the bomb. Check them out at coolvest.com life time gaurantee on the chargeable packs. Customer service number one, I ride year round here in Arizona.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Born to ride

The problem with rechargeable packs is that you need a refrigerator to recharge them. On some of our trips, the places we stay at do not have that luxury. That's why I like the evaporative systems. Just soak them in water and you are good to go. The TechNiche ones seem to use a material that will hold more water and this last longer than soaking a shirt in water; our current approach.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Getting up to speed

Not true of coolvest, you can submerse the packs in ice water for 20min and they are ready to go. Any hotel will have ice, you just need a plastic bag. Thats how we do it with ours, just saying. Good luck, I'm just not a fan of getting wet with some of the submersible vests.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Also, the packs are not water. They are like a vegetable oil that solidifies with cool Temps. They stay cold for about 4hours.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:34 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,654 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2qbrown
Not true of coolvest, you can submerse the packs in ice water for 20min and they are ready to go. Any hotel will have ice, you just need a plastic bag. Thats how we do it with ours, just saying. Good luck, I'm just not a fan of getting wet with some of the submersible vests.

I just bought a cooling vest as I have a lot of distance riding planned the summer. I got the kind you have to put in water. The ice pack ones wouldn't be very practical for the kind of riding I do as once I leave the hotel in the morning we only stop for gas a quick bite, so with the water ones I can soak in the gas station sink.

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 07-03-2015, 10:09 AM
part time American
Thanked 1,435 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
Anyone have experience with a TechNiche cooling vest? With temperatures here over 105 we need something.

I have bought one quite a while ago. I will test it tomorrow in temperatures above 95 F.

Tom
Old 07-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Born to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf
I just bought a cooling vest as I have a lot of distance riding planned the summer. I got the kind you have to put in water. The ice pack ones wouldn't be very practical for the kind of riding I do as once I leave the hotel in the morning we only stop for gas a quick bite, so with the water ones I can soak in the gas station sink.

Sounds like us. Theresa would usually do the wet T-shirt cooling approach. One time we stopped at a truck stop. She sweet-talked the manager into letting us go into the shower fully dressed, get soaked, and head out on the bikes. Messy but effective. 20 minutes to cool off a pack would be too long, unless we were stopping for lunch.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K_Flyer' for this post:
Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,492 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Flyer
Sounds like us. Theresa would usually do the wet T-shirt cooling approach. One time we stopped at a truck stop. She sweet-talked the manager into letting us go into the shower fully dressed, get soaked, and head out on the bikes. Messy but effective. 20 minutes to cool off a pack would be too long, unless we were stopping for lunch.
Murray, I just bought this one, but haven't used it yet... I'll report back in a few weeks.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...d-cooling-vest

I have an older one (old technology)made by Marsee that is effective, holds an incredible amount of water, but your body is exposed to the water, which gives a clammy feeling. Of course, it's still a relief in high temps, but this new one supposedly has a membrane that keeps the water separate from your skin surface, but still provides the evaporative effect.

PS... Tell Theresa that she is automatically entered into the wet T-shirt contest at SGR this year...
Old 07-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Born to ride

Thanks, Charlie. However we are heading out in three weeks and want to try it out before that. I sweat a lot when it's hot so cold water against me would not be a big problem. Obviously Theresa is not worried if she is wearing something cold and wet. As for the wet T-shirt contest -- good luck!

Theresa's sister Marian recommended the TechNiche sport vest as she bought one last year and thought it was great. I was looking for some opinions from the group here. Never a shortage of opinions on I-BMW.com.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K_Flyer' for this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I have Techniche vests and they work just fine. I got two of them, keep one in a freezer bag with water and wear the other....always have a ready spare that way.
'96 VMax 1200 carburetor test stand
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'dannymax' for this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Born to ride

Ordered one for each of us. Thanks for all your comments. Look forward to being cool on the ride.