I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Riding > Riding Styles and Techniques > TRACK > Riding General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,545 Times in 3,223 Posts

Labor Day weekend at the Track

Nothing new I was at the track this past weekend - however I probably should have passed on going for several reasons.

First of all I finally move into the new house next Tuesday and I'm still not ready for the move.

Second I got home from the west coast Saturday evening just before midnight - flew all day.

Had to load the trailer by the time I went to bed it was almost 2:00 a.m. and of course my internal clock was on west coast time.

Slept for a few hours and headed to the track.

Never thought I would be jet lagged coming back east - well by the time I got to the track I was in full blown "lag".

Now our good friend Matt B was driving up for this event - so I was really looking forward to hanging out and riding with him.

Not to mention I was totally expecting Matt to bunch me in the head - the past few years I have been successful in getting him to come up for several track days - always promising him that I was going to return the favor and go to VIR or whatever track he wanted to go to - well that still has not happened.

Also our other track day bud Kevin C was going to be there on Monday. Kev is such the socialite he had a wedding on Saturday and he figured - he had to hang out for the after the wedding party so he would not be in any shape to ride Sunday (I mean he would be tired because he was going to be out late).

I took one picture the entire weekend - again I was truly not with it on Sunday and a good part of Monday - and the weather was perfect on Sunday.

Now a few things I need to mention - Matt has never been to Palmer - the track itself is awesome - the runoff well basically there is none - so this track leaves no room for errors.

Matt was asking me and our friend Douglas( I go to most track day events with Doug) what he needed to know about the track - both Doug and I say at the same time - turns 4 and 5 are throw away turns - they simply have bit more riders than I can remember.

Here is the only pic I took - Matt is always smiling.

Day one for me was really difficult - I did not go out the first session - I had zero energy. The rest of the day I really took it easy - I just was not close to 100% - and if I'm being honest I had no business being on track.

Matt was really cooking and really liked the track. All day he was telling me how slow I was through 4 and 5 and he was not having any issues going through - I just kept telling him - I don't like those turns.

Well Matt will see this thread and give you his opinion.

Day two I was feeling much better not 100% but better - but the weather had turned into a pizza oven - mid 90's and the humidity was brutal - that took its toll on all of us.

So again not my best day - no excuses I'm slow on a good day but I was off my game for sure.

Now Kevin and Matt both those guys were flying.

I know this a long post but now a few days in the life at the track gets interesting - well it was interesting on day one but that is for Matt to tell.

Also my friend Doug is a real generous guy - several times this season he has invited friends of his to come to the track and he lends them his R3 for the day - well Monday was no exception he let his friend Lee ride it all day - well almost all day.

After lunch time another I-BMW member Bill K showed up on his GS and hung out for awhile.

You all know how often I tell you how fast Kevin is - well he comes in after a session and he looks a little pale - he tells me he almost highsided in turn 3 going about 120 mph - traction control saved him - but he was shaken up - at that speed where it happened if he had lost it - it would have been a really bad day.

Check out his short clip.
https://www.facebook.com/kevin.cunni...018763712/?t=1

Now me I'm just the old guy having fun - Kevin and I go out together in this vid - again I'm truly amazed he has not passed me in the first few turns.

Now I have my moment in this video(you can skip the first minute and a half) as well (around 6:47 in) coming down the hill just before turn 5 hard on the brakes - and that was the problem I was way to hard on the brakes - in the video it looks like a little head shake - trust me it was a full blown front tire giving up - last second it hooked back up and that is the life of being on track.

I was doing okay - and I was passing a rider on the front straight and went to shift to 5th gear and I missed the shift - you will see Kevin fly past me(7:34) on the left - I never get around the rider in front of me and that is the last time I see Kevin.
[IMG][/IMG]

Remember my friend Doug was letting his friend ride his R3?

Well this rider was still on track last session of the day I think it was the last lap - Doug comes over to me and says he just got word that Lee crashed.

So we are waiting to see if he was hurt and then the condition of the bike.

We get word this was a 2 bike accident - a rider - riding a K1200S as it turns out lost it on a high speed right hand turn - Lee was the second bike behind this rider- remember me mentioning Palmer is not a great track if you crash.

The K bike riders bike hits the tires and bounces off the tires right back on the track just missing the rider that was right behind him - unfortunately Lee was on a direct collision course no way he could miss the bike.

The K bike I believe was totaled - the drive shaft was snapped in half - plus the front looked toasted as well - rider okay.

Doug's bike comes in on the flat bed all busted up - front end completely wiped out - all the fiberglass wrecked - leaking oil - took 4 of us to pick it up and get it in his trailer.

Lee on his way to the hospital - broken wrist.

So another weekend at the track - so many variables - from a rider that had no business riding this past weekend(me) to a rider who is very generous losing one of his bikes(Doug) to a rider getting injured(Lee) to a rider that has his own story to tell (Matt) to two riders scaring the crap out of themselves (me and Kevin).

Is it worth it - absolutely can't wait until I'm back on track and can't wait to be there with all my friends - motorcycles - look it up in the dictionary - ADDICTION!!!!

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Labor Day weekend at the Track

Sounded like fun times!

Kudos to you for your clean lines and smoothness. I bet that saved you a trip through the grass.
I have never really been there at the limit, unless i was crashing.

My track weekend consisted of 1 track session then a deluge then waiting out two sessions , helping my pit neighbor pack up after a crash, then packing myself up to call it a day just before lunch when it started to drizzle again. Oh well... one more chance in a couple weeks for me.
I went home and took the kids fishing. My 6yo pulled out 8 or 9 small sunfish out of the pond and had a blast.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Sounded like fun times!

Kudos to you for your clean lines and smoothness. I bet that saved you a trip through the grass.
I have never really been there at the limit, unless i was crashing.

My track weekend consisted of 1 track session then a deluge then waiting out two sessions , helping my pit neighbor pack up after a crash, then packing myself up to call it a day just before lunch when it started to drizzle again. Oh well... one more chance in a couple weeks for me.
I went home and took the kids fishing. My 6yo pulled out 8 or 9 small sunfish out of the pond and had a blast.
JC:

We have had several wet days this year as well. I don't go out in the driving rain but I do go out in light rain and on a wet track. Having my rain bike was one of the better moves I made.

I honestly don't think I lost any track time due to rain - even when I sat out a few sessions - typically the track organization ends up going with open sessions so all the lost time gets made up. They can do that because so many riders don't go out at all on a wet track.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 09-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Anchor Man

Bruce,

Fun as always to get on the track with you - and great to see Matt there too.

Wow - Nice save in turn 5. Down hill, off camber & shitty pavement.

It was a hot day and I was spent by the last session (still tired today).

I didn't know Lee crashed the R3, that sucks, he was so pumped up about doing more track days.

See you at Thompson for the last track days of 2018.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Kevin C' for this post:
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Administrator

By late Monday afternoon I was exhausted - the heat really sucks the energy right out of you - so I did the mature thing and put the RR in the trailer for the last two sessions and rode the the R3.

The R3 is much easier to ride than the RR. The pace is slower - however the corner speed would be right up there if I ran race tires - I run street tires - this is my rain bike and it goes pretty good on a wet track with the Rosso III's but I can feel them moving around when I start to really lean the bike over.

So I just don't go all out - well my all out anyway - when I ride the R3 - next year I will try it with race tires - I think it will rail in the corners.

A short vid on the R3.

[IMG][/IMG]

16 R3-Black (Track Only)

Last edited by brucev : 09-08-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:21 PM
GS Originator

Interesting seeing it run clockwise.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBejbl
Interesting seeing it run clockwise.
Chris:

In my opinion it flows just as good as it does CCW - and you can learn it relatively quickly. Maybe one of these days you will be back here and you can make it out to the track - between all of us I'm sure we can come up with a bike for you to ride.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev

[IMG][/IMG]

Is that the forks you slid way up on the triples? Wow!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Is that the forks you slid way up on the triples? Wow!
JC:

The R3 needs the forks this low with the tires I'm using. When I switch to race tires I will adjust them accordingly.

It steers fantastic - you have to find the sweet spot - go to much and you feel it right away in the steering same if not enough.

These little bikes are really great in the handling department.

On September 17 I'm going to a track day that is being run by Penguin Racing sponsored by Kawasaki. My local Kawasaki dealer had 10 spots available and they reached out to me to see if I would be interested in going. The neat thing is Penguin will have a fully race prepped Ninja 400 there and part of the day is we get to do a few laps on it.

That was the number one reason I wanted to go - I want to check out that 400.

It is a lot of fun riding these bikes wide open a lot of the time compared to never really doing that on my RR.

The old saying is true - it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
jcw