I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-13-2018, 02:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

4 years with the mighty K1300s

This week I celebrate four years with my 2015 K1300s MS. What a machine!

I previously owned a 1985 K100RS, purchased new in Germany on a tour, and finally sold in 2015. To say there is a big difference is massive understatement. After riding the K1300s for a few months, I got back on the K100RS and thought there might be something wrong with it. Felt like I was driving my van trying to get it to accelerate.

At the same time, it was very familiar. Riding position about the same, wind protection about the same, controls mostly similar. (I have to say, after 30 years with the separate BMW turn signal switches and upward horn button, I never got used to them. The conventional turn signals and horn button feels as home to me as they did on my first bike in 1970.)

After 4 years, I've gotten used to the power, though I rarely give it full throttle anymore. On the other hand, I also extremely rarely don't hit 100mph on it on a ride. I've had it up to 165mph a couple of times, and it was still pulling. I've had it to 150mph several times, with bags, and two-up. The power is addicting.

Even after 4 years, the wheelbase still feels long in the curves, especially tight ones. I'm on my 5th set of tires at 19,000 miles. Some were replaced a bit early due to trips, and one set was replaced after a big rear-wheel puncture. The last 4 sets have been Pirelli Angel GT's.

Oil usage is about non-existent. Fuel mileage is unchanged for 4 years, before and after a booster plug, at 37.5 mpg around town. On the road (couple of week-long tours in Colorado) I got 42-44.

The suspension is very harsh compared to my old K100rs, but then it was soft as a mattress compared to most. After a few thousand miles, the K1300s shocks broke in so they weren't so harsh (on any setting). They seem a bit oversprung/overdamped solo, and underdamped two-up.

Added luggage immediately, with BMW sport panniers, tank bag, luggage grid and large and small softbags. Also added a Corbin heated seat. I discovered something odd with the tank bag. The aerodynamics with me in my Corbin seat (I'm 6'2", Corbin is slightly lower than stock) are such that I get tremendous wind rippling down the front of my jacket at 70mph plus. Can be very annoying. My solution was to get a small waist bag and put it on the tank bag, rotating the waist bag to be between me and the tank bag. This cuts the airflow down the front and stops that rippling. I can also just rotate it to the front for getting wind flow at lower speeds in hot weather. I've always used tank bags, but never had this issue before.

Vibration - sort of an issue, but it depends on the speed you choose. I wish there was a bit less vibration in the handlebars at the end of a day.

Brakes - wow! I totaled one of my K100rs's when I locked up the front wheel at 85mph. Sure is nice to have breaks that won't do that. Integrated brakes have me almost never using the rear, though I mostly didn't use much rear before.

Sophistication - by this, I mostly mean engine and chassis management including ABS, anti-wheelie and anti-wheelspin controls, which make a bike with huge power easily manageable on the street. I also love the heated grips (how did I live without?), and my heated Corbin seat.

Maintenance - I do none of my own, and this is not a cheap-to-maintain motorcycle. I like having qualified techs do work on my bike, especially anything relating to my safety.

Problems I've had - the hot start and the hot stall issues. Hot start - sometimes the bike would barely crank over when hot, but only on the first starter button push. Hit it a second time and it would always fire right up. I should note that this was with a good battery. Weird stuff happens on this bike with a bad battery. The hot start issue was confirmed by BMW and fixed under warranty. Never happened since, in two years. And I live in Phoenix where it does get truly hot.

Hot stall - this was not usually problematic to me. But I had two separate issues. The hot stall is basically 'pull in the clutch and engine RPM goes to zero instead of idle'. This happened several times, but not often. Usually when putting along in the bottom of first with no throttle, and pull in the clutch. This has gone away with a Booster Plug.

Stalling - a very problematic issue in the first few months. Partly it was getting used to the quick clutch engagement, and overall it's not a hard bike to stall. (Light flywheel?). At first, I had a lot of throttle cable slack, and adjusting that helped a lot. But mostly it was unpredictable throttle response at low throttle openings. Give it just the right amount of throttle, let the clutch out and - STALL. Because the engine power didn't come on when asked. A Booster Plug seems to have cured this. The Booster Plus puts the driveability where it should have been from the dealer. The less throttle you give, the more effect the Booster Plug has.

I come from a background of R90s, R100rs, R100rs, K100rs and K100rs. I like the twins, and I like the look and idea of the R1200rs, but that 175hp on the big K keeps me from seriously looking at it.
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: 4 years with the mighty K1300s

Congrats and salutations! I hope to get many years and miles from my K1300s.
Vibration: Have you tried Grip Puppies? I have them and although it does change the diameter of the grips there is no vibration transmitted to the rider at all. And the warmers still work as well as without.
2008 Triumph 675
2006 Honda XR650
2006 K1200LT
1990 K100LT
etc, etc.....
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Twisted Wrister

Grip Puppies were the first things I installed. I never used BMW heated grips before because I hate the thin diameter of the grip. Since I wanted to keep the heated grips that came with this bike I tried Grip Puppies, mostly (at first) to increase the diameter of the grip, and to soften it. It does help with vibration, but more would be good.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:58 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,633 Times in 1,244 Posts

K bikes rule. It will be a sad day when my dies. Though the new R bike engine will help with my sorrow issues.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:56 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2017
Thanked 2,679 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
Grip Puppies were the first things I installed. I never used BMW heated grips before because I hate the thin diameter of the grip. Since I wanted to keep the heated grips that came with this bike I tried Grip Puppies, mostly (at first) to increase the diameter of the grip, and to soften it. It does help with vibration, but more would be good.

I did the same thing with my k1300r

How many miles have you put on it?

2012 K1300R (1st brand new bike in 30 years)
1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
1980 Suzuki GS1000S (Wes Cooley) Via K1DUDE
Old 10-14-2018, 03:26 AM
Twisted Wrister

I only have 19,000 on it. The death of my wife last year certainly set me back in riding as well as many other things.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,583 Times in 3,254 Posts

Craig:

I think the K1300 is the best sport tourer out there even today. I'm glad you are having a good experience with yours.

I don't think I will purchase another leaning towards the S1000R - mainly because I'm doing shorter rides these days.

Now if I happened to find a K1300 for a really good price well that could sway me.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 10-14-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Craig:

I think the K1300 is the best sport tourer out there even today. I'm glad you are having a good experience with yours.

I don't think I will purchase another leaning towards the S1000R - mainly because I'm doing shorter rides these days.

Now if I happened to find a K1300 for a really good price well that could sway me.

That makes me wonder what is a “really good price “ for these bikes today. Do you think they will achieve collectable status?

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 10-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf
That makes me wonder what is a “really good price “ for these bikes today. Do you think they will achieve collectable status?
I don’t think the K13S will ever achieve collector status...too many production years...but the K13R, now that’s a different story!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Craig:

I love the motor, though I agree with complaints about it being a bit wide and hitting my feet. I do have comfort issues with the ergonomics, though not significantly different than my 85 K100rs. The bars are just a bit too low for long rides, unless I'm at 75mph+ the whole time. The seat, even though custom, still kills my butt over 250 miles. My 65-year-old knees complain more and sooner than ever on long rides. A 450+ day has me squirming in agony by the end, between lower back, knees and wrists. I'm thinking bar-backs (1/2 inch would be golden), and something softer between me and the seat. And high speed back roads.

I started touring on a Kawasaki 900 with Windjammer. Don't need that kind of comfort.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,583 Times in 3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf
I'm not exactly sure but typically for me I kind of know when the deal seems like a good one.

Collectable status like it is going to be worth a lot of money - probably not going to happen for a very long time.

I'm not so sure how many K1300's were built but I bet the numbers are not really big - and like John stated the K1300R will be far more rare than the S model.

10 years from now someone with a pristine example of one of these bikes will certainly get attention - worth keeping as a collectable - sure for the right person.

I think in a very short period we are going to see less and less of these bikes - just was not a lot of them to start with.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 AM

I really don't think that many K1300S bikes were made. For some reason 7500 comes to mind but with no data. I do think they will be a stand out when you show up on one down the road. Out of production now, vintage status is here. Keeping one running will be work and money. Time to buy all the used parts you can.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure but typically for me I kind of know when the deal seems like a good one.

Collectable status like it is going to be worth a lot of money - probably not going to happen for a very long time.

I'm not so sure how many K1300's were built but I bet the numbers are not really big - and like John stated the K1300R will be far more rare than the S model.

10 years from now someone with a pristine example of one of these bikes will certainly get attention - worth keeping as a collectable - sure for the right person.

I think in a very short period we are going to see less and less of these bikes - just was not a lot of them to start with.

I for sure plan on keeping mine..even when the time comes to replace it with a new bike. Mine is a carbon fibre special edition....the 1300R never went to the US and only around 6 came to Canada...so 6 in North America makes it rare indeed.

It just turned 74,000kms the other day and it has been an awesome bike. Don't have a clue how it could be replaced.

1980 Suzuki GS750E
2016 Suzuki DR650S
Old 10-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Shooting the gap

"Even after 4 years, the wheelbase still feels long in the curves, especially tight ones."

I'm using Pirelli Angel GTs too but also have Rear Suspension Riser Plates...BIG IMPROVEMENT in negotiating curves!!!

I hope I can ride mine for many years more too. Put 20k miles on it so far and it's always a thrill. The biggest adjustment for me was learning to dose the AWESOME power.

On long trips, I like to keep the daily riding distances at ~300 miles...any more than that makes it feel more like work than play.

I also rotated the Handlebar Lever Assemblies ~10 degrees forward (RH CW / LH CCW) to effect a quicker/easier reach from the Bars to the Levers.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Z-Technik Smoked Shield. Color: Red/Black.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:06 PM
dynajohn

[quote=R111S]"Even after 4 years, the wheelbase still feels long in the curves, especially tight ones."

I'm using Pirelli Angel GTs too but also have Rear Suspension Riser Plates...BIG IMPROVEMENT in negotiating curves!!!

Did you use the 31mm or the 25mm riser plates? Does anyone make a longer side stand to compensate for the riser plates?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:15 PM

Verholen used too. But you can take a standard sidestand foot pad from any of the manufactures and weld a 3/4" aluminum block on the bottom. Cheaper way to go anyway.
You guys might try a sporty tire next time if your inclined. If you don't ride two up forget the GT version of anything.
S1000R
Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynajohn
Did you use the 31mm or the 25mm riser plates?

I have Kuykendahl Riser Plates made by a Retired Machinist Friend of mine from 1/4" thick T6 Aluminum (AlSiMgMn) - same material as the OEM Units but slightly thicker (+0.35mm).

Mine do not raise the rear ride height as much. I measured a 10mm rise (unladen) at the metal Bag Mount Post. I also have an unmodified Aluminum Kickstand Foot I bought very cheap ($6.81 including shipping) off eBay. It sits on the Side Stand just fine - no need to add extra length.

Some have commented the 31mm plates intermittently elicit a "grinding" sound from the Driveshaft. I've never detected such a noise on my '11 K1300S in 17k miles of use.

My Friend made 6 sets of these 10mm Riser Plates. I've sold 3 sets and thus have 2 sets left. Cost is $40/set plus shipping from Illinois.

P.S. 1,800 miles ago I replaced the OEM Muffler (heavy as a Boat Anchor!) with a Cobra SP2 Slip-On from Germany (http://www.speedproducts.de/). I noticed the bike is a bit more flickable and I expect the rear ride height is up slightly too.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Z-Technik Smoked Shield. Color: Red/Black.