I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-18-2016, 07:23 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

K13GT front side marker bulb replacement

Thought I'd post here for the possible use of someone whose front marker light goes out. The procedure to replace is not in the owner's manual (which shows the "dashboard" fairing removed) nor the rep-rom. In my case I did the left side, right may be similar but I didn't go there.

The bulb and holder are way up in there, but the trick is that by turning the bars full left, there was space at 10 oclock relative the steering stem to get my hand in from above, then forward and a little left where a good grip on the bulb holder could be had. And I've got big hands.

The owner's manual tells you to turn the holder 1/4 turn left. In perhaps typical BMW fascshion, there's an oring between the holder and inner bodywork so that the bulb holder is in there pretty tighly, but once rotated there is just enough slack in the wires to bring the holder out next to the steering stem and change the bulb.

To reinstall I smeared the oring with a bit of silicone dielectric grease, then fumbled around to get the bulb into the hole in the reflector, and a firm 1/4 turn clockwise... and it's done. No other disassembly required.

The bulb is an W5W wedge base rated 5 watts, $1.29 at the FLAP. Other bulbs could be used but I saw no reason to.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: K13GT front side marker bulb replacement

I converted my "08 1200GT bulbs to LED. When I did, I removed the turn signal lense. Then the marker bulb and put it out the hole, changed the bulb and then replaced it, Only had to put my hand in the hole once. It is a tight fit.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi,
When you replaced by a led bulb, did you need to install a resistor or it worked out good without one. I'm planning on switching to led for every bulbs in front.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 03:03 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I took the turn signal lens out, but no way my hand could get in there, and I didn't see the bulb holder. Didn't spend more than 15 secs before abandoning that idea. The access described worked so well there was no need to go elsewhere. But it might work for some with smaller more dexterous hands than I.