I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,982 Times in 2,874 Posts

Read A Good Book Lately

I love to read and am always looking for a good author that I haven't read. I tend to read fiction for the escape.

What say you - any suggestions?

For me, Best Fiction I've read in a while, Steig Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and its sequel, the "Girl Who Played with Fire". The former has just been released as a movie - with sub-titles, one of the better movies I've seen lately.

And, if you like historical fiction, the best I've ever read is Patrick O'Brien's "Master & Commander" Series - all 21 books in the series - just a wonderful read. (The movie with Russell Crowe wasn't bad either).
Old 04-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Read a good book lately?

What kind of fiction? I like horror and suspense reading so one of the best series I have read is the Necroscope series from Brian Lumley. Vampires and talking to the dead are the focus. Fourteen books in all if I remember correctly and a few of them went down very quickly. Robert McCammon is another author with several books I like.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,121 Times in 821 Posts

I'm also into action/adventure fiction....

Here are some series that I highly recommend.... If you have NOT read any of the following .. I suggest you start with the first book and move towards the last as the characters are better explained in the early books. However.. NONE of the books I've listed are "serials" like Harry Potter, LOTR, etc.. Each stands alone. My 2 doubloons.

1. For pure escapism nothing beats Clive Cussler's "Dirk Pitt" books... I think there are 15 of them total and I've read them all... You can't go wrong with any of them although some are better than others.. I started the series in the middle and still loved them all. My favorite series. One tip.. DO NOT buy any of the Clive Cussler books where his son is the co-writer. His son is a 100% talentless hack and those books suck.

2. Jay McLarty has a series of books (3 I think) starring "Simon Leonidovich." Smart action.. The thinking man's anti-hero.

3. For the best political kick-ass intrigue... Vince Flynn's "Mitch Rapp" series rocks.. The American James Bond who does to terrorists what our goverment won't.. When I think of black ops.. I think of Mitch Rapp.. FYI.. they are about to start making movies of this character.

4. Almost as good a writing as Vince Flynn is Brad Thor. His series starring Scot Harvath is wonderful. I think there are 3 or 4 in the series.

5. David Baldacci has some damn fine books out. Off the top of my head these are pretty good reading.. Hour Game, Simple Genius, Saving Faith

6. I am NOT a fan of Michael Crichton. That's puts me in the minority.. but I did just finish his last book.. found after his death.. Pirate Latitudes. It's pretty good action adventure swashbuckling.. Arrrg.

That should be enough to get you going...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Jerry, you and I share similar taste in books, I've read many of the Dirk Pitt books. And I'm with you, start with the first in the series. If you like Dirk Pitt, you'll love Jack Aubry in the Master and Commander series - set in the early 1800's great great British naval history and battles.

The early Robert Ludlum books, including the "Bourne Identity", "The Scarlatti Inheritance", etc., are great "black ops" stuff - deep intrigue, great description of European locales. The later Ludlum books somewhere lost the edge.

For me, the best detective noir is James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" series. Set in the Louisiana Bayou, so well written you can sense the sweat and humidity. FWIW Tommy Lee Jones portrayed the Dave Robicheaux character in a recent movie - In the Electric Mist - great rental. Dave Robicheaux sidekick in the series, Clete, is a great character - does stuff like drive an earth mover right threw the middle of a mobster's house,

Close second for detective noir is Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder series. Set in NYC, and also spectacularly written - you can just feel the grit of NYC in the pages.

This will be enriching, I think.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,401 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
I love to read and am always looking for a good author that I haven't read. I tend to read fiction for the escape.

For me, Best Fiction I've read in a while, Steig Larsson's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and its sequel, the "Girl Who Played with Fire". The former has just been released as a movie - with sub-titles, one of the better movies I've seen lately.

And, if you like historical fiction, the best I've ever read is Patrick O'Brien's "Master & Commander" Series - all 21 books in the series - just a wonderful read. (The movie with Russell Crowe wasn't bad either).

+1 on Stieg Larsson
I've read the 3 books in 3 weeks , nearly 600 pages by book .

If you like swedish polar , you've got to try one of Henning Mankell 's books .
I guess he's been translated to english ...
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,121 Times in 821 Posts

I hadn't even heard of a few of the suggestions here... I'll give them a shot..

BTW... Not sure what the rest of you do with the books once you are done with them.. Ebay... pass them around, re-gift, etc etc, but I have a suggestion....

I wait until I have a couple of stacks... 5-10 books and I send them to our fighting troops in Iraq or Afganistan. If you don't know of anyone currently serving on the front lines... just ask around. Somebody will know someone and be able to get an address. I try to add some treats, gum, playing cards, a current magazine or two and the books. I add a note to the recipient that says... "For you and your buds.. Be safe and Godspeed." Cost to send a box of books is generally under $18..

It's a small gesture, but I imagine that the books are appreciated ..
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Last year I read "Blind Mans Bluff" by a lady with the last name of Sontag. A GREAT look into the life of a submariner and a book that had me hooked. Some areas of the book left me wondering how they were allowed to put the info in there. I do know that men aboard the subs were told to not discuss the book with anyone. information about things these unsung heroes did back in WWI and more recent... things that some of the families of those involved only found out about after the death of their loved ones and after reading this book...

There is a follow-on called "the Hunt For the Red Bear". Also good
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Going Furthur

I'm reading Deaver's "Roadside Crosses" now... I like Deaver's style. It touches on many current topics like blogs, gaming and synth vs real world lives.

http://www.jefferydeaver.com/Novels_.../roadside.html

'13 K1600GT
'14 800 GSA
'12 Thruxton
Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,401 Times in 1,724 Posts

A really good historical fiction is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Accursed_Kings

That's if you dont mind reading about France's history .
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Shooting the gap

For great literture, the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series, beginning with Master and Commander. He writes in period language, but after a bit, it begins to flow nicely. There is companion book, A Sea of Words, a lexicon, so when they serve "boiled baby" at dinner you know there is not a greiving mother nearby. The NYT book reviewer credited "the best historical novels ever written."
For non fiction, I am reading William Manchester's A World Lit Only By Fire, an account of the Middle Ages and Reformation. Great read!
For fun, action reading, the Lee Child "Reacher" series. Great action fiction.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" - Garth Stein... Def worth the read. You'll have a different perspective of your pet.

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

Rules of Deception ,Rules of Vengeance and Rules of Betrayal by Christopher Reich
Old 11-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Flow

I just finished reading "Phantom in the River" by Gary Wayne Foster. As I've always been a huge fan of the F-4 Phantom Jet, this book puts it in perspective with the war in Viet Nam. It also traces the development of the plane and the role it played in that conflict. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the Viet Nam war and/or the planes and machines of that period. The Amazon reviews can be found Here

I also echo the accolades for "The Girl" books by Stieg Larson. To me, it took a few pages to get into the scheme of things and mainly it was the names and places that kept tripping me up.
Herb
Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,769 Posts

Right now I'm reading Michael Connelly "The Reversal" Recent reads were David Baldacci "Deliver Us From Evil" and "Hell's Corner" Jonh Grisham "Confession"
I also like Greg Iles, Michael Crichton, Nelson DeMille, Lee Child, Christopher Reich, and James Patterson.
On the self waiting to read is a Cussler book and two Connelly books.
Once in awhile I'll read fantasy like Terry Brooks.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Shooting the gap

Just finished David Baldacci's "Hells Corner" part of the Camel Club series. Great stories and easy reads. Compelling political espionage type thrillers.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

I really enjoyed the Jack Whyte, Templar trilogy. I have passed them around the family and every one thought they were very good. Read them in order as they cover the start of the Templars, when they are at their height of power and their demise.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_57b3qt73m5_b

Right now, I am reading the new James Bond book. "Carte Blance" it's just OK.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cruizbz' for this post:
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizbz
I really enjoyed the Jack Whyte, Templar trilogy. I have passed them around the family and every one thought they were very good. Read them in order as they cover the start of the Templars, when they are at their height of power and their demise.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_57b3qt73m5_b

Right now, I am reading the new James Bond book. "Carte Blance" it's just OK.

You're reading a Canadian author? wtf?

Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

'14 K1300S Anniversary Edition
'04 K1200RS
Nicest BMW's on the block

'14 Honda XR650L
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'andreychuk' for this post:
Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Site Contributor

I've read pretty much all of Stephen Hunter's stuff, Bob Lee Swagger is a pretty good character.
John Grisham and Tom Clancy are faves as well.

Dip me in honey and throw me to the lesbians!

'14 K1300S Anniversary Edition
'04 K1200RS
Nicest BMW's on the block

'14 Honda XR650L
Old 11-21-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreychuk
You're reading a Canadian author? wtf?
I should have guessed that he was a Canadian. After all, he could not spell a basic color like "white".
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cruizbz' for this post:
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Thought I'd give this thread a bump, just finished "The Anatomists Aprentice" by Tessa Harris, a period piece set in London in the late 1700's - with a physician first using forensic medicine to solve a crime - thoroughly enjoyed it!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Site Contributor

I rarely read fiction, yet recently read a real gem. It was very short, but highly engaging and thought provoking. Pick up a copy of "The Religion War" by Adams. While it is labeled as fiction, it is full of reality overtones.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Flying Low

I recently got hooked on Follett's work.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Shooting the gap

No one's mentioned Conn Iggulden; entertaining Caesar, Genghis and Kublai Khan series. W.E.B. Griffin's war and cop series also entertain.

Civil War, Michael Shaara Sr's Killer Angels followed by son Jeff's continuing Civil War, WWI, WWII, American Revolution, Mexican War (about a dozen books) are the best in American Historical war fiction .

Bernard Cornwell wrote several more than the Napoleonic "Sharpe's" series, he also did a Civil War "Starbuck" series, a good King Arthur series, and a Saxon-Viking series.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

I have read the Hornblower series several times. Zen and the art of Motorcycling I have enjoyed a few times also.Most any Dean Zoontz. Where I'm not a Louis L'amour fan, I must admit I really enjoyed the "Walking Drum", not a western, but of the middle east when it fell from a center of knowledge to the stone age when religion took over.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Currently reading James Michner's "Caribbean".

He does great historical fiction...well researched.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthegrass
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" - Garth Stein... Def worth the read. You'll have a different perspective of your pet.

I agree, I am currently reading this one. Gives you a different outlook on things.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
I recently got hooked on Follett's work.

My favorite Follett book. Lie Down with Lions. which is about the Russians in Afghanistan.

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliogra...ith_lions.html
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Loves Obama more than riding

"The Magician King" by Lev Grossman
“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently..."

― George Orwell, 1984
Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Site Curmudgeon

Just finishing "Johnson's London" by Boris Johnson

Next on the list is "The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln" by Stephen Carter
Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,179 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

White Planet by Leslie Anthony.

Gotta love skiing though !

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:

Two words, "Atlas Shrugged"

See on Amazon's listing, they mention "Atlas Shrugged is the "second most influential book for Americans today" after the Bible, according to a joint survey conducted by the Library of Congress and the Book of the Month Club"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/045...pf_rd_i=507846

"Atlas Shrugged is the astounding story of a man who said that he would stop the motor of the world--and did. Tremendous in scope, breathtaking in its suspense, Atlas Shrugged stretches the boundaries further than any book you have ever read. It is a mystery, not about the murder of a man's body, but about the murder--and rebirth--of man's spirit. "

The story grabs you, you can't put it down, and it makes you think, then it makes you think some more, then...well you think you get the idea.

Another great one by the same author I wish everyone would read is "We The Living". Another great one, though can't compare to the former.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 AM
The Terminator

Cryptonomicon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon - by Neal Stephenson. Different story lines and times - good reading.

Stieg Larssen - the trilogy.

Robert M. Pirsig - Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlikehell

I've tried to get through this three times without success, so you're a better man than I am Gunga Din.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,179 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I've tried to get through this three times without success, so you're a better man than I am Gunga Din.

Love the first half... snooze thru the rest... never finished it either...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlikehell
Cryptonomicon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon - by Neal Stephenson. Different story lines and times - good reading.

Stieg Larssen - the trilogy.

Some of it is hard to get thru, but still I have read it several times over the years. (Zen, I mean). A lot of the places he stopped at were places I remembered as a kid, the the images I got from the book were based on childhood memories. And I have rode a lot of the same roads as in the book.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM
The Terminator

Almost forgot: Philip Roth, Portnoy's Complaint...

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Different every day

A lot of what Jane Austen wrote is a total hoot.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Site Contributor

pirate...clive cussler

janet evanovich's stephanie plum series is a laugh; saw the movie and was not impressed.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:49 PM

During my few lucid periods after my surgery. I read "Blaze of Glory" by Jeff Shaara. It was about the civil war battle of Shiloh. It is the first in a trilogy about the western campaign. Most of the well known battles were the eastern ones. It is in written in a first person narrative and really bought out how bad that battle was. If, Gen Beauregard had not been so arrogant the south had the battle won on the first day. But, he blew it big time and allowed Grant to bring in replacements. Gen. Sherman was on very shaky ground with the higher up's prior to the battle and after he was routed that first day. Probably would have been sacked and the whole war changed after that. I was very interested in reading the book, as my grandparents lived about 30 miles from the battle site and I visited there often as a youth. My mother remembers her grandmother telling her how she could hear the artillery, when she was a little girl. Very well written and I'm looking forward to the next one about Vicksburg.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Revenge is a dish....

You might try BS Levy's , The last open road novels. They can be found here.
www.lastopenroad.com
If your a gearhead these are a GREAT read.
(SeniorDelinquent)
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Just finishing James Lee Burke's latest novel, "Creole Belle", if you've not read James Lee Burke, I will simply say, you should. His "Dave Robicheaux" series starting with "The Neon Rain" maybe the best written "detective fiction" series I've come across, and I read a lot!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Any of you guys do audio books while you ride? The ear buds make great ear plugs too, using the largest earpeices, but poking a pin thru near the center, to relieve pressure. EDIT: Librivox.org has free audio for lots of classics of open license or whatever it's called. Also, I've been using these sweet $20 Koss earbuds with a volume slider on the wire. Great simple functionality.

Latest audio was 20,000 leagues under the sea.

Latest hard copy, will finish Asimov I, Robot, this weekend. Also started starship troopers, by Heinlin. Also just arrived are three of the Asimov Foundation series, and a half dozen other titles by the same authors. Fun stuff, enjoy all those titles.
Favorite current toys: NEW! 2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat X 1000 UTV! - '09 Light Gray K1300S daily driver 65k - '12 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 SP Corse 'round town scooter - '09 CRF450X , Plated - Snow Duty: '04 MB S500 4matic - Rain Duty: 2000 Corvette

"K1300S is the most refined sport bike I have ever had the pleasure of riding" -Wolfman
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
Any of you guys do audio books while you ride? The ear buds make great ear plugs too, using the largest earpeices, but poking a pin thru near the center, to relieve pressure.

Yes, I do listen to audio books regularly in the car and on the bike. On the bike I listen when I'm killing miles on the freeway - but when the going gets good I turn it off and pay strict attention to what I'm doing.

I have found that I can download audio books for free through the local library, and load them on my i-phone, works great with ear buds.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Getting up to speed

I really enjoyed the Hunger Games Trilogy. I haven't seen the movie, but the books are great fiction and IMHO get better as they go along.

I enjoy audio books when I exercise but not really on the bike. The remus is to loud
Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Barack Paul 2012

Old 08-31-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC8551
What's the matter? All the good books at the local Ark. library already colored in?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:20 AM
Unit Train

Devil in the White City - Erik Larson

A phenomenal book about the development of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and a parallel story about HH Holmes - America's first documented serial killer, who stalked his victims at the fair. It's a factual book, but reads like a novel. Absolutely fascinating and well-researched.

A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning - that all glory is fleeting.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:27 AM
National Park, TX!

Just finished reading The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life and Business.

Amazing wonderful book! Highly recommended. Has already helped change my life in a huge way.

Basic premise is there are 3 parts to a habit - the Cue, the Response, and the Reward. Our brains are totally wired to make habits whenever possible because that requires less thought processing power. The trick is that once we identify the Cues and the Rewards, then we can work to change the Responses.

These habits control our personal lives, our business lives, and societies at large. You won't be able to put the book down, I finished it in two days, as did my son. Highly recommended.

ps, Thanks Richie for the Jeff Shaara book recommendation. I didn't know he had written books on the Western Civil War battles. I've read all his other books, will look for the new ones.

... it is easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission ...
Old 09-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
For me, the best detective noir is James Lee Burke's "Dave Robicheaux" series. Set in the Louisiana Bayou, so well written you can sense the sweat and humidity.

I'm going to check out the Dave Robicheaux series starting out with The Neon Rain.
Does the series need to be read in order?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Shooting the gap

For some reason, I've ran across several WWII books that are excellently written:

James Bradley's Flyboys and Flags of our Fathers

Hillenbrand's Unforgiven

Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried.

For a great book on the history of wolves in the West: Wolfer: a Memoir by Carter Niemeyer--I heard stories about the author while I was in Montana in August and he's larger than life personality responsible for the introduction of wolves in the 1980's.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Crashing the net!!!

Update on some recent reads.

First the bad.

My brother-in-law (publishing executive) highly recommended this pulitzer prize winner from the sixties, "A Confederacy of Dunces".

I tried and tried to give it a chance. Two nights ago about 150 pages in, I have decided that it is the most extreme nonsensical waste of time that I regret ever opening. I would rather read a ghost written book by a lying politician with opposite philosophies as mine. At least I could gain some insight. This book was just pure nonsense, fiction where the entire premise is that every character is incompetent and moronic. Huge waste of time.

The good

That out of the way, I've also been going down the sci-fi road recently.

Really enjoying Rober Heinlin. Starship Troopers was a very exciting book about a futuristic man's life in the then military. Highly entertaining page-turner.

Just started another of his last night, "Friday", which I'm about three or four chapters into. It is a futuristic spy novel. The skill of the author is enthralling. It is a quite graphic book, definitely R rated. It grabbed me right in the first couple of pages, very exciting in a sort of futuristic Bourne Identity sort of style is the best way I can describe, though probably quite inaccurate.

Also been reading some Isaac Asimov. I Robot was a good read. Now I'm most of the way through "The Foundation". It started pretty good, but I'm finding myself get a little bored with Asimov's stuff.

I'll probably put his other books on the shelf for a while and go down other roads, like more Heinlin and another book a friend recommended last night, which is "Freehold", by Michael Z Williamson, looking forward to that one, he made it sound right up my alley.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I'm going to check out the Dave Robicheaux series starting out with The Neon Rain.
Does the series need to be read in order?

No. They each book pretty well stands on its own. Very good reading.
AC Schnitzer, Corbin, Beech Kit, City tankbag with "old" mount, Kriega US 20, Pro Grips 719, Zaino freak.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave - Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreychuk
I've read pretty much all of Stephen Hunter's stuff, Bob Lee Swagger is a pretty good character.
John Grisham and Tom Clancy are faves as well.

Just read "Dead Zero.". You gotta love Bob The Nailer.
AC Schnitzer, Corbin, Beech Kit, City tankbag with "old" mount, Kriega US 20, Pro Grips 719, Zaino freak.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave - Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney
My favorite Follett book. Lie Down with Lions. which is about the Russians in Afghanistan.

http://www.ken-follett.com/bibliogra...ith_lions.html

Acknowledge Follet's greatness. It's a commitment, but The Pillars Of The Earth is one of the best books I have ever read.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,404 Times in 878 Posts

True Grit.

The period language is beautiful as reflected in the most recent film adaptation.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM
GT or RT, that is the question

"Old Man's War" by John Scalzi

A clip from Amazon which provides a pretty good teaser into the book. It was good read.

"John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce--and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine--and what he will become is far stranger."
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcneal
"Old Man's War" by John Scalzi

A clip from Amazon which provides a pretty good teaser into the book. It was good read.

"John Perry did two things on his 75th birthday. First he visited his wife's grave. Then he joined the army.

The good news is that humanity finally made it into interstellar space. The bad news is that planets fit to live on are scarce--and alien races willing to fight us for them are common. So: we fight. To defend Earth, and to stake our own claim to planetary real estate. Far from Earth, the war has been going on for decades: brutal, bloody, unyielding.

Earth itself is a backwater. The bulk of humanity's resources are in the hands of the Colonial Defense Force. Everybody knows that when you reach retirement age, you can join the CDF. They don't want young people; they want people who carry the knowledge and skills of decades of living. You'll be taken off Earth and never allowed to return. You'll serve two years at the front. And if you survive, you'll be given a generous homestead stake of your own, on one of our hard-won colony planets.

John Perry is taking that deal. He has only the vaguest idea what to expect. Because the actual fight, light-years from home, is far, far harder than he can imagine--and what he will become is far stranger."

This reminds me of Starship Troopers by Heinlin, which I previously mentioned, and I believe I will read it soon, sounds very good, thanks, I think I'll order it.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR-BMW
Acknowledge Follet's greatness. It's a commitment, but The Pillars Of The Earth is one of the best books I have ever read.

I was looking at Follet, on your suggestion. Some other titles maybe appealed more. But again thinking about it, I do like reading other period stuff, if nothing else, to witness the lifestyle of the period in history.

I greatly enjoyed similarly books like The Count Of Monte Christo, and Atlas Shrugged beyond just the great writing, but experiencing the style of the period before I lived. I think I'll enjoy a book set in the 1200's, just hopefully the author's style agrees with me and it is educational.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx
But again thinking about it, I do like reading other period stuff, if nothing else, to witness the lifestyle of the period in history. .

Jay if you like period stuff, here's 3 suggestions, the number one best ever in my opinion is the 21 book series written by Patrick O'Brian, starting with "Master & Commander" - late 1700's early 1800's traces the career of Jack Aubry, a British naval "Post Captain" and his good friend Stephen Maturin. The NY Times called it the best historical fiction ever written.

Then there is Bruce Alexander's series starting with "Blind Justice", again historical fiction about a real British Magistrate of the "Bow Street Court" set in the 1700's London. The Magistrate really established the world's first police force known as the "Bow Street Runners"

And more recently a set of books by David Liss starting with "A Conspiracy of Paper" about the early London stock exchange - http://davidliss.com/?page_id=9

Follett's stuff is good, Pillars of the Earth is quite good, but a bit ponderous in my opinion, interesting on the building of churches in early England, I liked his a "Night over Water" about early trans-Atlantic flights on the Pan American "Clipper" planes better.

But by me, you cannot top O'Brian for historical fiction, I've read and re-read the series a few times, and each time is as good or better than the last.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Crashing the net!!!

Quote:
Jay if you like period stuff, here's 3 suggestions, the number one best ever in my opinion is the 21 book series written by Patrick O'Brian, starting with "Master & Commander" - late 1700's early 1800's traces the career of Jack Aubry, a British naval "Post Captain" and his good friend Stephen Maturin. The NY Times called it the best historical fiction ever written.

Then there is Bruce Alexander's series starting with "Blind Justice", again historical fiction about a real British Magistrate of the "Bow Street Court" set in the 1700's London. The Magistrate really established the world's first police force known as the "Bow Street Runners"

And more recently a set of books by David Liss starting with "A Conspiracy of Paper" about the early London stock exchange - http://davidliss.com/?page_id=9

Follett's stuff is good, Pillars of the Earth is quite good, but a bit ponderous in my opinion, interesting on the building of churches in early England, I liked his a "Night over Water" about early trans-Atlantic flights on the Pan American "Clipper" planes better.

But by me, you cannot top O'Brian for historical fiction, I've read and re-read the series a few times, and each time is as good or better than the last.

I'll keep them in mind. I've found repeatedly though, for my taste, it seems when a book wins mainstream acclaim (NYT?) I don't tend to relate, ala Pulitzer winner, A Conferacy of Dunces, despite being a Pulitzer winner, I was disgusted that such nonsical garbage was celebrated by the professionals, though a book like Atlas Shrugged, who all the critics hated, but the readers found to be the greatest non-bible book ever, I found to be greater than everything I've read and since, and other examples, I find myself not generally being on the same page as the professional critics. Their agenda seem to be other than quality reading somehow.