I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: engine failue
has it happened to anyone else 1 100.00%
any advice on what to do 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Unhappy engine failure

g'day new to this, has anyone had or heard of this happening. 2011 k1300r owned from new all services done by bmw dealer , bike done 36.000k's .conrod bolt snaped and punched though engine block, at 8.000rpm's !
Old 09-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Re: engine failure

Welcome to the asylum John!

Now if that engine issue doesn't just suck!
Recent threads:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50860

And here: start reading at 151

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=636833#post636833

Wow. Let us know how this unravels.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 09-14-2014, 10:32 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,197 Posts

Con rod bolt failure has been discussed here. See if your dealer will plead you case and get you some help from BMW Germany. Should not happen.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Con rod bolt failure has been discussed here. See if your dealer will plead you case and get you some help from BMW Germany. Should not happen.

Welcome to iBMW John. As beech says, talk to your dealer, be nice, and maybe BMW might come to the party and help, you never know. 36,000km is way to early for that sort of problem.
Lots of great advice here
Make a thread in the introduce yourself section too when you gt a chance.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

John:

Welcome to the site. Sorry to read this about your bike. Your warranty was 2 years and unlimited mileage.

The good news is that you had all the maintenance performed by your dealer. They will become an integral part of you getting help from BMW.

Also what maintenance work has the dealer performed on the bike? When was the last time they did any work on the bike?

Are you 100% sure the oil level was correct when this happened?

Your dealer may or may not have played a part in this mechanical failure.

You need to get all your facts straight and keep your cool when speaking with your dealer and BMW.

If your dealer can make progress with BMW - great - if not you may have to start the process as well - call BMW customer service - just give them the facts - certainly let them know how disappointed you are but do not start telling them anything negative.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyboy
g'day new to this, has anyone had or heard of this happening. 2011 k1300r owned from new all services done by bmw dealer , bike done 36.000k's .conrod bolt snaped and punched though engine block, at 8.000rpm's !

Hi John, welcome and so sorry about your problem.

Unfortunately you are one of the few with that problem, I had the same problem and also the same way, mine @ nearly 9.000 RPM

I tell this from my experience, you must fight hardly until they change the whole engine , i mean all: starter, alternator, injectors.... in order to keep the original engine, not opened or repaired. In fact there is no replacement for the block.

In my case, I had to fight with my dealer because with La Gorda had a sum of problems, and that served to me to ask for the bike change, after 1 year of forward/backward they changed La Gorda by Fiona, paying some difference because of the Km. of the first bike (and really bad intention of the dealer trying to take advantage of the situation). It was hard, but not impossible.

They have all engines with an insurance due this problem, is no cost for BMW...

Hope this helps you and another with the same issue
Old 10-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thumbs up Re: engine failure

Just had a call from AUTO CLASSIC the BMW in Perth western Australia regarding the engine failure in my K1300r .BMW is replacing the engine with a complete new one.Auto Classic has been brilliant, this has only taken two days from when we dropped the bike off to be informed that a new motor will be here in 4weeks and will be installed in 2 days. Thanks to everyone for their input. regards Jackyboy
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jackyboy' for this post:
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Just had a call from AUTO CLASSIC the BMW in Perth western Australia regarding the engine failure in my K1300r .BMW is replacing the engine with a complete new one.Auto Classic has been brilliant, this has only taken two days from when we dropped the bike off to be informed that a new motor will be here in 4weeks and will be installed in 2 days. Thanks to everyone for their input. regards Jackyboy

You have now a new 2014 engine, with 36.000 Km, Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:

Great news John, good work BMW Australia.

Does this mean you might be coming on the Australian iBMW rally next March?
Put the bike on the train and leave from Sydney with me and a few others.
Info in link below
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50194

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Talking Re: engine failure

I'am going on the black dog ride in august , around the block up through the kimberleys,into katherine down to the alice. then back down to port agusta and back across the nullarbor to home.I went the other way in 2011. Put my bike on the train! only harley davidson riders do that!!!! As to the ride in march , I don't think I could swing two trips in the one year.The misses would pack the shites.but If I can swing it I will.