I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

K1300S Sport Touring on the planet's NEWEST generation "Greatest Sport Tourer"

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Shooting the gap

Learning to ride the K1300S...

First off I want to thank the Forum Moderators and all the Contributing Members for the wealth of information I've found here...it's just great!

Well now I'm ~4000 miles into it and I gotta say the mighty K1300S has forced me to ride it differently than my previous '99 BMW R1100S...some comparisons noted here.

1. Power:
The R1100S had ~90 HP at the Rear Wheel and one could use full throttle in many riding situations without suffering any negative side-effects. Not so the Mighty K1300S. I find myself carefully dosing the power in relation to the situation at hand. Full throttle just isn't a good idea in some cases as I'm sure you can relate.

2. Shifting Gears:
The R1100S was the first Boxer Twin to have 6-speeds and it was klunky at best but over time I adapted and it worked well enough, especially after I started using Silkolene Gear Oil. K1300S?...well OK its 6-speeds but that where the similarity ends. Firstly it feels tighter and less kluncky, almost switch-like. Then there's the Gear Shift Assist. At first I had to remind myself to even use it...now it's like eating cake. As for the Clutch, it's different as well, going from a Dry Single Plate Automotive type to a Multi-Plate Wet unit. I like the K1300S Clutch better.

3. Handling:
My R1100S had a wheelbase ~4 inches (~100mm) shorter than the K1300S. I had Wilbers Suspension front and rear and Pirelli Angel GTs. It was a lotta fun on swervy tarmac. The K1300S rather likes to go straight and the OE Metzeler Sportec M3s don't work as well in curves as the Pirelli A-GTs IMO. ESA Suspension is...well lets just say it's a cool idea but the ride quality isn't as good as the Wilbers. Things have gotten markedly better though after I put on Rear Suspension Riser Plates and mounted Pirelli Angel GTs (Non A-Spec). I'm having more fun in the curves now.

4. Brakes:
The R1100S had 2nd Gen BMW ABS - not integral. I upgraded to Spiegler Braided Steel Lines too. I had 5 occasions over ~75K miles wherein the ABS saved me from a worse outcome. The K1300S is better IMO with the Partial-Integral setup. I like using only the front Lever almost all the time. I mostly use the rear Pedal (no front brake) for shaving off speed in a decreasing radius curve.

5. Riding Position:
Having test rode a then new '05 K1200S at Gina's BMW in Iowa City IA, I knew the riding position was nearly identical to my R1100S. I added a set of Grip Puppies to the K1300S as the thin Heated Grips were like holding a Steel Pipe versus the thicker grips on the R1100S. The uncomfortable K1300S OEM Seat had to go...I got a Corbin now and it's good.

6. Board Computer:
The R1100S had a Digital Clock, Reserve Light, and ABS Fault Lamps. What can I say, I'm really liking the Tire Pressure Monitoring, Ambient Air Temperature, Miles to Empty, Gear Indicator, and Oil Level info on the K1300S.

6. Riding with Friends:
One Riding Buddy in particular always liked to leave me in his dust. He'd egg me on in DOOMED Roll-On Contests too. His C-14, FZ-1, and Speed Triple made the R1100S seem like a slug even though it had a top speed near 140 MPH. Well...things are thankfully different now. It's nice to be riding on a "Top of the Food Chain" bike, like my old Yamaha FJ1200 days again, only way better in every respect. Passing slower traffic is a piece of cake too.

Yep, I'm glad I got the K1300S, even though it has required me to adapt and learn to ride it in ways I'd not expected beforehand.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
The following (15) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,541 Times in 3,219 Posts

Re: Learning to ride the K1300S...

Nice comparison/summary. Even though I'm almost certain to be replacing my KS there is no bike better suited for sport touring than a KS.

It's not perfect but then again I don't think there is that one perfect motorcycle out there - but the KS comes pretty darn close.

Once you get introduced to the power of these machines it's really difficult to ever let it go.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R111S
... Yep, I'm glad I got the K1300S, ...
This reminds me again, I need to write a Chapter 10 soon.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Great write mate!
Don't let that wheelbase fool you, this bike can go around corners well, it just takes a while (20,000+ km) to really get to know the bike well. And because of this , every time you take it out it just gets better and better. Lots of people can jump on a 1000cc sports bike and thrash around corners, not so on the K1300, and that's half the satisfaction as we gradually increase the berries on each ride.
Have fun !!!!

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Getting up to speed

25,000 Kms on my K1300S and I have 0 regrets from moving away from my S1000RR. I simply love this bike and more I ride it the more I like it.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Diablo' for this post:
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Great write mate!
Don't let that wheelbase fool you, this bike can go around corners well

Yes, the long wheelbase has "fooled" me. The main thing I've noticed is I'm using almost all the rear tire tread profile (almost no "Chicken Strips"), especially after putting on the Rear Suspension Riser Plates and the Angel GTs. Also, my ability to slide off the seat to the inside on corners isn't as good as in my younger days. I still slide off the seat, but just not as far. I also try to keep my chin near the inside handlebar grip.

Unless I'm mistaken, the longer the wheelbase, the further a motorcycle has to lean over to negotiate a curve at a given speed. The R1100S wheelbase, at nearly 4 inches shorter, always had some reserve rear tire profile. Yes it always had some "Chicken Strips" on the rear tire. I always told my Riding Buddies that I'm saving that last 1/4" of rubber for the "good stuff".

Just to note, the R1100S rear tire is narrower and a bit taller - 170/60-ZR17 - and the front tire is the same size as the K1300S.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM

Now I know why GS rider think their bikes handle better than sportbikes. From Wikipedia, "Bikes with fat tires and low center of mass must lean more than bikes with skinnier tires or higher centers of mass to negotiate the same turn at the same speed."
Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Site Contributor

I came to the K13S from a Duc ST4s and was initially quite disappointed in the handling. I switched out the riser plates before 1,000 mi which made enough difference to make me happy again. Probably some acclimation occurred too. I still miss the Duc in some respects but appreciate the superiority of the K13S in other areas.

Enjoy your new ride,
'12 K13S (r.i.p.)
'11 K13S
IBA #47605
Old 04-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtownmaxx
I came to the K13S from a Duc ST4s and was initially quite disappointed in the handling. ...,
I used to get questions on the difference between our Duc and our K1200RS. Here was my answer ... The Ducati hits a small rock mid turn and tells you, "You just hit a small rock which had 7 sides and the density of granite. The rock was lying on it's largest side measuring approximately 3/8" x 5/8". As you went around the turn to the right the rock was struck on the right side of the front tire and was tossed to the left as the tire rolled over it."

The RS went over the same size rock in a similar turn and said, "What rock?"

Yep, different missions fer sure.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:11 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Main reason is wide bars and aggressive rake.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:14 AM
Site Contributor

Great post! I'm a Harley, Ducati, Harley, Kawasaki, k1200s guy, and the BMW has taken me the longest to get to "know". It does so many things so well the learning is fairly steep. I dare say it is as close to the most perfect bike I have ever ridden. I need more miles under my belt before I start with the nuances of tires end suspension but what an endeavor to look forward to!
07 Electra Glide

Sicut Vectus Quasi Furtivum
Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I used to get questions on the difference between our Duc and our K1200RS. Here was my answer ... The Ducati hits a small rock mid turn and tells you, "You just hit a small rock which had 7 sides and the density of granite. The rock was lying on it's largest side measuring approximately 3/8" x 5/8". As you went around the turn to the right the rock was struck on the right side of the front tire and was tossed to the left as the tire rolled over it."

The RS went over the same size rock in a similar turn and said, "What rock?"

Yep, different missions fer sure.

Hahaha! Well put.
'12 K13S (r.i.p.)
'11 K13S
IBA #47605
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I recently came to the "handling crises" and was missing my S1000R hugely. I do find that fast cornering is getting easier and easier. This is not a bike you ride great in the corners the first time out like a light sport bike that can be compensate for allot of imperfection in technique. I was almost thinking of trading it but I couldn't think of anything else I would really want except maybe the KTM Duke GT, and that move is too risky. So I stuck with it and starting drilling over the past couple of weekends. I noticed a few things I was doing less then perfect:

1. it's sort of easy to put too much weight on the bars due to the riding position and the lack of brake dive thanks to the duolever. The brake dive was always a reminder for me that I was putting too much weight on the front. Minor issue but something to be conscious of nonetheless. I consciously started bending my elbows a bit and tightening my core and lightened up on the bars. That seemed to help allot.

2. I was constantly forgetting to switch the ESA from comfort to sport mode. It actually does make a difference at a good speed.

3. Definitely needed a little more cheek slippage. Body positioning is a little more necessary then it is with some smaller bikes.

4. Being timid with bar inputs on the somewhat nervous S1000R with its wide bars made a bad habit I suppose. I started being a little more forceful (though I hesitate to use that term) with my counter steering and the bike did not get upset. It doesn't get upset easy. The S1000R did (I think I was too heavy for it).

5. I actually do think you need to lean this bike a bit more and not be uncomfortable doing so. It's sort of weird with a long, heavier bike, but again the bike does not seem to get disturbed.

6. Lastly, I was a bit lazy in terms of picking lines and being precise where I turned in, having more flickable bikes, that I sort of had to revisit the fundamentals.

It will never be the S1000R, but then it does most things better than the S like hold a line through a corner, not get bounced around, not twitchy or nervous (admittedly the S1000 was better with a steering damper), much much more comfortable, and frankly better- for me- ergos. It's wheelbase is also sort of deceiving because when you sit this bike side by side with another 61"+ wheelbase sport tourer it doesn't look as long. The long rake is what adds some extra wheelbase, so the actual bike length gives it a more centralized mass than say my old Sprint GT which had a 23 degree rake but a 61.5" wheelbase. The Sprint was WAY bigger. This factors into handling obviously.

A note on the Angel GTs. They have a very flat profile for a 190/55 and may not be the best for this bike. The PR3s and 4s are much more U-shaped and I think better for this bike. I was going to try the plates to raise the rear, but I think I'm going to loose these stock tires first.

Anyone have the Beech Plates and PR4s??
Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman
I recently came to the "handling crises" and was missing my S1000R hugely......
Anyone have the Beech Plates and PR4s??

I have 32 mm plates and PR4s. At first I thought they didn't make that big a difference but quickly realized the small difference they did make was, in fact, significant. Probably the best mod I've made. I also have the Speigler yoke/LSL bars which are wider than stock so it's handling is fairly 'quick' now.
I have an extra set of plates I believe. Let me know if you're interested.
'12 K13S (r.i.p.)
'11 K13S
IBA #47605
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 AM

Max you have the 2011 right? Wasn't that the year before they tweaked the back height,or was it the year after? Just trying to make sure we have the exact same geometry.
Also does all that added bike height effect stability significantly? Not necessarily straight line but darting in and out of traffic surgically.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
It will never be the S1000R, but then it does most things better than the S like hold a line through a corner, not get bounced around, not twitchy or nervous (admittedly the S1000 was better with a steering damper), much much more comfortable, and frankly better- for me- ergos.

Last weekend I let a Riding Buddy ride my K1300S. He remarked on how powerful and smooth it was. I rode his Kawasaki ZRX1200. Nice power that green Kaw, but the ride was rough and the handling somewhat twitchy as you say. After I got back on the Mighty K1300S I was like, "Oh this is so nice and smooth all over"...so glad I got this ever so nice Motorcycle for fun rides on weekends and State Line crossing trips!

About the Angel GTs versus PR3s. I had a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my R1100S. They were very unstable (sqirmy) during max-lean cornering. It was especially noticeable the day I rode "Push Mountain" in Arkansas (Rt. 341 going south out of Norfork). I had the PR3s in between a pair of Angel STs and was so glad to experience the rock solid cornering stability of the Angels STs afterwards.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
It's nice to be riding on a "Top of the Food Chain" bike, like my old Yamaha FJ1200 days again

Love it - apex predators rule
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 05-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Last weekend I let a Riding Buddy ride my K1300S. He remarked on how powerful and smooth it was. I rode his Kawasaki ZRX1200. Nice power that green Kaw, but the ride was rough and the handling somewhat twitchy as you say. After I got back on the Mighty K1300S I was like, "Oh this is so nice and smooth all over"...so glad I got this ever so nice Motorcycle for fun rides on weekends and State Line crossing trips!

About the Angel GTs versus PR3s. I had a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my R1100S. They were very unstable (sqirmy) during max-lean cornering. It was especially noticeable the day I rode "Push Mountain" in Arkansas (Rt. 341 going south out of Norfork). I had the PR3s in between a pair of Angel STs and was so glad to experience the rock solid cornering stability of the Angels STs afterwards.

It's the excessive water siping grooves in the front tire. If you had a PR2 on the front and 3 on the back you wouldn't have had that. Unfortunately the 4's are even worse. I just don't like the almost 190/50 like profile of the Angels. Not when you need to lean a big bike over and need some good tire patch.
I find my bike pretty squirmy with these Metzlers.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

The K13S is an outstanding motorcycle, especially if you live in an area prone to less than perfect road conditions. Personally, I run a pilot power front tire and a pilot road four in the rear and find that combination is quite nice. This combination is very predictable in wet conditions; and I find more than sufficient for dry pavement. The challenge with this bike is to remove the chicken strip on the front tire, then you know you've gotten there. Slamming around the 650+ pound motorcycle with rider is a work out but if you don't know if there's a deer or a hole in the road up ahead, I would not want to be on anything else.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
5. I actually do think you need to lean this bike a bit more and not be uncomfortable doing so. It's sort of weird with a long, heavier bike, but again the bike does not seem to get disturbed.

I'm sure that a bike with a longer wheelbase must lean further in a turn to go the same speed as a shorter wheelbase bike - all else being equal. What I don't know is what affect steering geometry has on lean angle, if any, and particularly in terms of a Hossack front end.

My impression is that steering geometry and Hossack make the bike turn into corners differently, but don't relate to actual lean angle.

My previous bike was a 1985 K100RS. The one before that was also a 1985 K100RS. (Both bought new in 1985). I crashed one, but rode the other up to November 2015 when I sold it. I had bought the K1300s in October 2014 and pretty much quit using the K100RS.

The first corner I took with some lean angle that I was familiar with (near my house), I immediately felt like I was going a bit slower at the same lean angle. And after riding the same bike for 30 years, I probably had a pretty good feel for that.

What I never did figure out is if the tire forces differ with wheelbase, again assuming all else equal (weight, power, etc.) That is, maybe the bike needs to lean more, but maybe at the same time the forces on the tire patch are related to the cornering speed rather than the lean angle.

I read a number of comments about having to get used to the bike's handling. I believe that for sure, and part of that reason is adjusting to a Hossack front end. It just feels different. But it does hustle around corners pretty well once you are used to it, and you can put in small, precise steering adjustments leaned over just fine.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 05-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Shooting the gap

I just love the Anti-Dive functionality of the Hossack Front! My previous BMW R1100S also had Anti-Dive functionality on the Tele-Lever Front and the positive experience of that was a deciding factor when choosing the K1300S. I hope to never own a conventional Telescopic Forked Motorcycle again.

A few years ago I rode a friends Yamaha GTS1000 and it too had good Anti-Dive functionality but wasn't so good on abrupt bumps in the road. It would momentarily (milliseconds) twitch the handlebars slightly left then back to straight without any deviation in direction but was annoying at best and unsettling at worst when leaned over in a bumpy curve.

God bless Norman Hossack for his genius gift to us!...and I do mean "gift" as BMW began producing the Hossack after his Patent ran out and thus received no monetary compensation from Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
I'm sure that a bike with a longer wheelbase must lean further in a turn to go the same speed as a shorter wheelbase bike - all else being equal. What I don't know is what affect steering geometry has on lean angle, if any, and particularly in terms of a Hossack front end.

My impression is that steering geometry and Hossack make the bike turn into corners differently, but don't relate to actual lean angle.

My previous bike was a 1985 K100RS. The one before that was also a 1985 K100RS. (Both bought new in 1985). I crashed one, but rode the other up to November 2015 when I sold it. I had bought the K1300s in October 2014 and pretty much quit using the K100RS.

The first corner I took with some lean angle that I was familiar with (near my house), I immediately felt like I was going a bit slower at the same lean angle. And after riding the same bike for 30 years, I probably had a pretty good feel for that.

What I never did figure out is if the tire forces differ with wheelbase, again assuming all else equal (weight, power, etc.) That is, maybe the bike needs to lean more, but maybe at the same time the forces on the tire patch are related to the cornering speed rather than the lean angle.

I read a number of comments about having to get used to the bike's handling. I believe that for sure, and part of that reason is adjusting to a Hossack front end. It just feels different. But it does hustle around corners pretty well once you are used to it, and you can put in small, precise steering adjustments leaned over just fine.

Geometry may be less meaningful once leaned over. I wonder what happens to the amount of trail though. Is it a consistent patch length just on the side of the tire? Maybe that's where geometry matters in a lean. Dunno... There's got to be some engineers here who have figured that out.

As to leaning itself, that passage in wiki mentioned the longer the wheelbase the deeper the lean needs to be, but I wonder if that was contemplated in the context of weight shifting. The greater the weight shift the less of a lean is needed for the same turn. I'm going to assume it didn't. That's where you can take advantage of the bike's size.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

In terms of lean angle for cornering speed, consider your motorcycle compared to a small model of a motorcycle. It may be easier to visualize how much less the small one needs to lean over in order to get through the corner. Alternatively, consider a chopper with a highly-raked front end and how they have to crawl around corners.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM

It's allot of things, Rake/trail, weight, length, tire width and weight distribution/centralization.
In that the longer bike has to compensate for loosing some of the angle relative to it's increase in length, I think the rake plays a larger role on turn in.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

We probably don't want to get into gyroscopic progression in motorcycle steering.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,036 Posts

Now I think I understand the rake..... which angle improves the handling?, or is more better?

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 05-12-2017, 10:07 PM

YOu have to steepen that geometry to get rid of some of that rake!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 AM
Shooting the gap

Wow KiwiMat!

Gentlemen, I think the Men "Down Under" have a keen knowledge about Rake, much more than we might be willing to give them credit for.

Why they've even a TV Show about "Rake":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_(...ian_TV_series))
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Max you have the 2011 right? Wasn't that the year before they tweaked the back height,or was it the year after? Just trying to make sure we have the exact same geometry.
Also does all that added bike height effect stability significantly? Not necessarily straight line but darting in and out of traffic surgically.

Yes, my current bike is an '11. Unfortunate circumstances have had me on a '09 & a '12 in the last 3 years as well (). I wasn't aware of the back height change to be honest. All three got the extra 32 mm lift and realized much improved handling to my mind. Still not equivalent to my Duc (other parameters contributing) but enough so to help me get over her loss.

I try not to dart in and out of traffic, surgically or otherwise, but the bottom line is the bike is much more willing to turn; less effort or input is needed as the rake is slightly higher making it more maneuverable. It's especially noticeable at slow speeds, I think, but better across the board. So I'm guessing you'd find it better in tight quarters. It's still an uber stable bike and feedback isn't impacted as much (but slightly improved).

I do commute on her but I'm pretty conservative when others are around. Weekend blasts are another matter as our area has some great roads within a half hour and I connect with a group of track junkies for Sunday ride-outs. I've never taken any of my k13s on the track though.

I believe I read in one of these forums that there is a racing series in the mother land wherein they all run the 32 mm lift. I also seem to remember a slightly lower lift plate available somewhere but never read any reviews of it.

Plan on a side stand extension mod as part of the riser plates mod. A hockey puck (ground to a more appropriate shape) works well along with a side stand foot expander. If you have a center stand it becomes super easy to use as almost no lift is required - it's already close to high enough.

Sorry for the delay in responding.... it's riding season!
'12 K13S (r.i.p.)
'11 K13S
IBA #47605
Old 05-21-2017, 02:56 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Yep I agree a really good bike, but will take time to get the best from it. Just got mine and its a learning curve. Had a Suzuki TL100S with an R engine in it last year. Thought that was quick, but this K is so much quicker and easier to ride especially round town. The down side is you dont realise how quick you are going. Got pulled on 2nd day for speeding going 60mph in a 30mph limit. Clear wide road no turnings not thinking about speed (always ride as if everyone else is trying to kill me that how I got to 59) cop with a speed gun steps out and flags me down. New I was doing more than 30mph but did not realise it was 60mph. Fair cop for speeding but I don't fix my eyes to speedo or some one WILL pull out when not looking were I am going. Just need to get used to the bikes capabilities.