I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: Let there be LED light....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
another follow-up... Just received a box-o' decoders.. They pretty much look like the pics NFJ79 posted.. No brainer install.. plug-n-play..

No idea if there will be a problem finding room for the black box.. It's a bit clunky at 1" tall x 2.25" long. The Chinese tell me the device will solve the LAMPF problem...

Look forward to feedback from those that use one of these..

Did you get any feedback on the decoder from K12s owners? Did you do a test fit on your K12s to see how they fit in the light housing? They look huge!

2006 BMW K1200S
2005 Ducati Monster S2R 800 - Sold
2007 Lifan Enduro 200cc - Sold
Hyosung Avitar GV650 - Sold
Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I received my decoders yesterday and plan on doing a temporary install today to see if they do the trick on my K1300s. Haven't yet thought about permanent install, which will be a challenge, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFJ79
Did you get any feedback on the decoder from K12s owners? Did you do a test fit on your K12s to see how they fit in the light housing? The look huge!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,152 Times in 832 Posts

Still waiting to hear.... I sent a few decoder kits out.. I think at least one of them was a K1200S owner... At least (2) K1300S owners..

I'm also wondering about the install of that thingie..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFJ79
Did you get any feedback on the decoder from K12s owners? Did you do a test fit on your K12s to see how they fit in the light housing? The look huge!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Well, no joy from this K1300S owner.

I had *some* success leaving the normal bulb in the low beam spot and LEDs with 'decoders' in the highs; but repeating that test later came back to the usual LAMPF! error.

I'm back to the normal bulbs and no LAMPF! for now until we get this sorted out...really want to see these LEDs work. I'll do more experimenting later, right now I have to go back to work.

Oh, and mounting the decoders *is* going to be a challenge. I see there is quite a bit of room behind the right side plastic, so maybe there after extending the wires. If we can make it work, that is.

Quote:
Still waiting to hear.... I sent a few decoder kits out.. I think at least one of them was a K1200S owner... At least (2) K1300S owners..

I'm also wondering about the install of that thingie..
Old 08-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Supporting Vendor

Have you tried running a single LED bulb in the low beam position? I've spoken to other K1300S guys with that set-up and zero problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntorz
Well, no joy from this K1300S owner.

I had *some* success leaving the normal bulb in the low beam spot and LEDs with 'decoders' in the highs; but repeating that test later came back to the usual LAMPF! error.

I'm back to the normal bulbs and no LAMPF! for now until we get this sorted out...really want to see these LEDs work. I'll do more experimenting later, right now I have to go back to work.

Oh, and mounting the decoders *is* going to be a challenge. I see there is quite a bit of room behind the right side plastic, so maybe there after extending the wires. If we can make it work, that is.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Getting up to speed

The 65mm Tomall for the XR and RS are small, but that's what I was looking for as you need to stretch the covers to fit. Worked for me on both the XR and R1200RS. You have to come up from under the fairing with one hand to hold the cover in place and come in from the top of the fairing with the other hand to stretch the cover over the orifice. Makes for a nice tight friction fit.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Have you tried running a single LED bulb in the low beam position? I've spoken to other K1300S guys with that set-up and zero problems...

That's also no-go...

On my bike, it seems to be happy with the LEDs in the high beams, and regular bulb in the low. As soon as I put the LED (decoder or not) in the low beam, LAMPF!.

I think the answer for the low beam will be a resistor, or to find a way to parallel the two permanently. I took some jumper leads and paralleled the LED and H7 bulb -no LAMPF!.

Or, is there any harm in just riding around with the LAMPF! error (other than my OCD)? Does it mask other faults that might want to come up on the display?
Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

Geezz... this is turning into a vendor's worst nightmare.. So far I've had K1300S customers install the LED bulbs with no problem.. Others that can use them only in high, but not the low. Other's say they can install them ONLY in low beam and that in the high position they get the LAMPF light...

So far I've heard from 2 of the 3 K1300S guys I sent the decoder fix to and BOTH say the decoder did NOT work...

On the bright side... so far all the S1000XR and R1200RS guys say they work perfectly, although they need the Tomal cover...

I think I'm gonna just mark the K1300S .. Not Compatible unless I can find another brand bulb that works without the headaches..

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntorz
That's also no-go...

On my bike, it seems to be happy with the LEDs in the high beams, and regular bulb in the low. As soon as I put the LED (decoder or not) in the low beam, LAMPF!.

I think the answer for the low beam will be a resistor, or to find a way to parallel the two permanently. I took some jumper leads and paralleled the LED and H7 bulb -no LAMPF!.

Or, is there any harm in just riding around with the LAMPF! error (other than my OCD)? Does it mask other faults that might want to come up on the display?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Certified Hooligan

Jerry, an update on the XR.
It ran well without error for the last month or so doing 5-6 hour rides all day long, even all the way to KY rally and back with no issues.
In the last 2 weeks, for no apparent reason I have the error flash up within a few miles of starting the engine.
I love the light it puts out. Wish we could find another set that is really compatible.
2011 DR650
Old 09-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Supporting Vendor

What makes you think the LED bulb is the culprit? Is it the only variable? I'm not hearing about any issues with other XR guys...

I would think it the bulb was bad.. you'd get the error immediately... not after a few miles..

BTW.. Don't forget these have a 2 year warranty..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
Jerry, an update on the XR.
It ran well without error for the last month or so doing 5-6 hour rides all day long, even all the way to KY rally and back with no issues.
In the last 2 weeks, for no apparent reason I have the error flash up within a few miles of starting the engine.
I love the light it puts out. Wish we could find another set that is really compatible.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Certified Hooligan

Just throwing it out there hoping you would chime in. You have the feedback from a lot of folks.
Cant think of anything else electrical that I have messed around with. I still have not installed the LED parking lights that I have from DDM so thats not it. The OEM parking lights do come on right away and the LED head lamps are working as they should. Again, no error when I start, but only come up in about 3-5 minutes of riding.
Maybe I will hook up the 911 thingy and see if I can reset all error codes if there are any there.
2011 DR650
Old 09-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Getting up to speed

I just got my BMW dealer to plug in and tell the bike there is a bulb there .On my K1300S.
All OK.

These are on eBay
The best just got better, Now more powerful .

The best performing, longest lasting and most reliable H7 LED headlight bulb available today. New Cree MKR emitters X2 offer superior beam patterns. Better than HID performance with the benefits of LED on your auto, bike, quad or UTV. The brightest H7 replacement LED bulb available at a true 4000 lumens! Fan cooled for extreme conditions. Includes H7 connector. BMW Canbus compatible.
6th Generation Features
– Plug and Play
– Cree MKR Emitters X2
– Replaceable Driver
– Smaller Diameter Housing

Don’t fall victim to poor quality LED bulbs with heat sinks and no fan. They simply will not last in a motorcycle or automotive closed off headlight bucket.

Operates on DC voltage only. (most 12v motorcycles) If you have an AC powered headlight, you will also need the rectifier shown (see related items).

Old 10-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Earlier this summer i bought and installed LED conversion in the low beam, got LampF!

Took it out and fitted them in the high beam, good light and no warning as high's are not monitored.

But i wanted LED in the low as well. But did not know what to buy that would work and just buying random can get expensive, so i bought nothing.

But, after leaving reviews on the aux lights i bought for the bike i, without knowing, was entered in a competition for coupons at that company.

Apperently i was a winner. Got a coupon for $33, they had a conversion kit in the productrange (seen it before but no reviews and was not sure it would work) and i cost just over $63. Now all of the sudden it was worth rolling the dice for $30.

Ordered yesterday and was in my mail this morning, installed it just now and it worked like a charm, perfect cutoff, xtremely bright like stated on the box, crisp white light without shadows.
And best of all, no LampF! with or without engine on. WOOOHOO!

https://www.diodhuset.se/led-stralka...treme-focus-h7
Old 10-26-2018, 02:33 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,219 Posts

So does the cover fit back on the headlamp housing or did you have to modify it? Looks like a great unit.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:23 PM
Shooting the gap

Cover fit just fine with room to spare. Dont think it protrudes backwards more than 10mm longer than the plug does when fitted to a standard halogenbulb. Diameter is just 1.47 inch so there is room there as well.