I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-14-2015, 02:28 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Windshield Recommendations R1100S

So I just picked up a used 99 R1100S which I love.
Last bike was an ST1300 Honda with electric windshield.
Planning to move the bars above the triple claps for a more upright seating position.
Now what windshield?

ZTechnik Stream 17"
Ceebaileys 20" or 23"

I'd like to hear some opinions?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 04:27 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Re: Windshield Recommendations R1100S

Have one of these on my R11S; works for me. Screens are a "personal" thing, I feel.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R1100...oAAOxy0x1TSbPC
Old 12-14-2015, 11:58 AM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

I installed the Z-Tech on mine - very nice. But I am 5'9" and used the stock bar height...

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 07-27-2016, 09:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

What windshield did you end up with?
My '99 had what I think is a Cee Bailey 20"(?), and the bars were in the original '99 position below the clamp. Didn't seem as quiet as I would have liked, but had no comparison. The shield had NO identifying markings, but looked like pix of Cee Baileys I'd seen.
Then got my present '04 Boxer Prep with bars above the triple clamp (stock for that time) and the original stock shield. What a horror, like driving into a gale all the time, worse than a naked bike for helmet noise. Got a V Stream Touring from Bob's BMW which is a huge improvement over the stock but by then had sold the '99 so could not compare to Cee Bailey. Slight improvement if memory is any judge. Not as fabulous as was led to believe.
Just got a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet thinking it would tame what turbulence there is from the V Stream. It closes me off more from the outside world than my old X-11 Shoei but I think the turbulence reaction is even worse. Different frequencies maybe. Not worth the huge price I paid and I think I'll resell it.
Bottom line is that windshield/helmet/rider height/bar height/noise tolerance is a very complex equation, unique to every rider. Unless you have a barn door-sized windshield you WILL experience an area of turbulence that creates helmet noise. It goes away if you look down at your gas tank, which leads me to think it could be reduced by helmet aerodynamics, but then you can't see the truck about to hit you.
So in my quest for calm riding, I am interested in your experience. I wish I could test ride every shield on the market.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Entering the on-ramp

FWIW, I have had the best luck with Aeroflow. Their shields seem to be of higher quality than the others and better developed.
Best,

Will
Old 08-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Sadly, I've already contacted Aeroflow and they said they've never made one for the R1100S due to low demand. If they were to make an actually quiet shield the demand would follow.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkGuitar
So I just picked up a used 99 R1100S which I love.
Last bike was an ST1300 Honda with electric windshield.
Planning to move the bars above the triple claps for a more upright seating position.
Now what windshield?

ZTechnik Stream 17"
Ceebaileys 20" or 23"

I'd like to hear some opinions?

Thanks

SharkGuitar,

Just bought a 22" XT windshield for my '99 R1100S from Parabellum.com for $139 plus postage.

Ordered Monday, Dec 12, arrived Thurs, Dec 15. I understand they make them on demand, and come with the proper plastic fasteners.

I'm 6'1", they recommended the XT.

http://parabellum.com/R1100S-Super-T...hield-P26.aspx

They are in N Georgia (USA). Call and talk to Brenda at 706-864-8051.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town, have not even seen it yet. I'll try to give it a test Sat.

Lowndes
Old 12-18-2016, 02:28 PM

Sharkguitar,

Well, I got to unwrap the windshield yesterday (Sat). By the time I got there, it was dark with freezing rain. Decided not to ride just yet. But, I was impressed with the quality of the Parabellum windshield. It is really tall. It matched the stock 'shield in mounting holes and width. The edges were very nicely finished. The sides are straight, while the stock windshield has a slight "arrowhead" shape. It came with SS screws, nylon spacers and black caps for the screw heads/spacers. There is no flair to the top edge that I could see.

That's all I can tell you about Parabellum for now, unfortunately.

Regards,
Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 AM
Shooting the gap

I had a '99 R1100S and it had the Bars above the Tree and the larger OEM "Touring" windshield. Those that had the Bars below the Tree came with the OEM "Sport" windshield. I road it that way for many years and all was fine. Then I hit a Deer and that was the end of that windshield among other things that needed replacing.

I got the dark smoked Z-Technik Stream. It was a couple inches taller than the OEM "Touring" windshield. It worked fine for me but if I had to choose I'd go with the OEM "Touring" windshield.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM

SharkGuitar,

I hope you have a new windshield by now and have been taking advantage of the great weather!!

For others looking for a windshield for their R11S, I was not so pleased with the very tall Parabellum, looks, airflow, and noise. On another forum I saw another called a Wudo (sp), or something close. Someone said it was a very good windshield, but no longer in production. Hornig in Germany has a very similar for $123.50 delivered (10 days to Atlanta!!).

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.c...ng-screen.html

I installed it Sat morning and we rode up thru Cherokee, NC, going to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it was closed because of SNOW!! We rode about 200 miles and I was VERY impressed with this 'shield: good protection, very well made, much quieter. The provided edge bead and end clips make a big difference in the noise. It is a "double curve" with a pronounced lip along the top 3 inches that helps put the airflow up to you face shield at speed.

I really like it. Price is good, too.