I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Alternate bikes > BMW R-Series
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

BMW R-Series Discussions of the Boxers EXCEPT the GS/GSA

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre
Advice re Fuel Pump Controller?

Ok R1200 gurus, I have a 2005 R1200RT with 48,800 kms on her at the moment and running very sweetly, mate has an 07 with just on 60,000kms, which has just had the fuel pump controller fail, I know there is a bypass kit that you can get to carry and get you out of trouble if necessary but the thought of having to remove all the RTs tupperware to get at the bugger by the side of the road is a bit daunting to say the least, the controller is a $362AU part and readily available through BMW Motorrad Australia, going by all the research I've done if they are going to fail it's usually between 40 to 60,000kms and going by the numbers reported it's a very common failure but very rare for the replacements to fail so my question is; should I just bite the bullet and replace it anyway or just get the bypass kit and pray I never use it?
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 09-11-2015, 01:36 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Re: Advice re Fuel Pump Controller?

It's not really a "controller".... it's just an interface device that interfaces between the ECU's digital output, and the pump. I have disassembled one (including removal of the potting epoxy) and traced out the schematic, and inside your $362AU device there is less than $2 worth of parts inside at the OEM level !!

BMW really rips us off with anything electronic!

This unit has a history of problems on RTs, because it is located on these bikes in a well on the top surface of the tank. Water puddles there and and causes internal corrosion (in spite of it being potted in an epoxy-like material, is it NOT as well sealed as it appears!).

The same unit is used on the K1200/1300 series but in these bikes, it is located at the bottom of the tank, inside the bike and well protected against water splash. Thus, on these bikes, there has been no significant record of failures.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
It's not really a "controller".... it's just an interface device that interfaces between the ECU's digital output, and the pump. I have disassembled one (including removal of the potting epoxy) and traced out the schematic, and inside your $362AU device there is less than $2 worth of parts inside at the OEM level !!

This unit has a history of problems on RTs, because it is located on these bikes in a well on the top surface of the tank. Water puddles there and and causes internal corrosion (in spite of it being potted in an epoxy-like material, is it NOT as well sealed as it appears!).

The same unit is used on the K1200/1300 series but in these bikes, it is located at the bottom of the tank, inside the bike and well protected against water splash. Thus, on these bikes, there has been no significant record of failures.

Thanks Bob, wasn't aware they were being used in other models without issues, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a new one in, do you think it would be ok to maybe give it an extra bit of waterproofing, say something silicone based or could that lead to heating issues? I've had a good look at the mate's fried unit, we're both looking at maybe some way of moving it to an alternative location as well to better protect them, we both ride regardless of weather and in our tropical climate getting wet is inevitable lol
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
Old 09-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Always Am!

I wonder if the part has improved over the last few years? Seems I read about enough failing a few years ago that I bought a spare either for me or to help someone else. Given the age, mileage, and riding conditions of the OP's RT, I would replace with the new and keep the old as a backup spare. I wouldn't bother trying to protect it, it has lasted for a good amount of miles.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:04 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubre
Thanks Bob, wasn't aware they were being used in other models without issues, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a new one in, do you think it would be ok to maybe give it an extra bit of waterproofing, say something silicone based or could that lead to heating issues? I've had a good look at the mate's fried unit, we're both looking at maybe some way of moving it to an alternative location as well to better protect them, we both ride regardless of weather and in our tropical climate getting wet is inevitable lol

You can't move it because it would leave a big hole in the tank!

BMW has already taken some steps with new units, to help prevent corrosion, namely painting the casting, and better sealing of the top-mounted connector (the other connector underneath needs no sealing since it hangs inside the tank).

Trying to add silicone or similar is not going to help.

There are no heating issues.... the part has fins like a heat sink, but in fact it generates no significant heat in the first place! No idea why they put fins on the casting... there is no heat to dissipate!!

Old 09-12-2015, 08:24 AM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW

What did you use to remove the potting epoxy?

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-K
What did you use to remove the potting epoxy?

Heat...very carefully! Over the years I have gotten pretty good at this!

The problem I found on this one, was a 3 cent diode was shorted.

After I traced out the schematic, it became very clear how it works and what it actually does.

In short, this device amplifies the logic-level PWM control signal from the ECU, to connect to, and drive, the fuel pump. There is a separate fuel rail pressure sensor that feeds back fuel rail pressure to the ECU. The ECU compares the fuel rail pressure to the desired value, and adjusts the duty cycle of its PWM control signal to keep the pump speed, and hence pressure at the desired pressure.

As mentioned earlier, this so-called "controller" is NOT a controller at all..... it's just a simple interface device between the ECU and the pump.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:00 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
You can't move it because it would leave a big hole in the tank!

BMW has already taken some steps with new units, to help prevent corrosion, namely painting the casting, and better sealing of the top-mounted connector (the other connector underneath needs no sealing since it hangs inside the tank).

Trying to add silicone or similar is not going to help.

There are no heating issues.... the part has fins like a heat sink, but in fact it generates no significant heat in the first place! No idea why they put fins on the casting... there is no heat to dissipate!!

Thanks Bob, got a new one on it's way, will fit it up and keep the old one as a spare anyway just in case, damn I've got a shed full of this just in case stuff may have to have a clean out one day think I've even got some old Yamaha RD350LC parts there somewhere
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
Old 09-14-2015, 03:19 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubre
think I've even got some old Yamaha RD350LC parts there somewhere

Ah yes! 2-strokes RULE!!

Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Ah yes! 2-strokes RULE!!

Actually got a bit more than just a few parts, there's a complete bike there lol, must get off my arse and bring her back to life!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1442187388850.jpg (78.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1442187393733.jpg (83.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1442187401581.jpg (94.3 KB, 4 views)
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
Old 09-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Site Contributor

Update, so had a new fuel pump controller installed, have kept the old one as a spare seeing how it was still working, it definitely is located in a stupid place . While they had the old girl I got them to do the valves, chuck in a new set of spark plugs and an air filter, now this old girl only has 48000kms on her and has been religously serviced annually, admittedly not by this dealer, according to the tech report, "valves were very loose, air cleaner and spark plugs looked like they were the original OEM fitted units, definitely past their use by date, synced throttle bodies and adjusted cables, reset TPS." Because he was a bit concerned at what appeared to be work that should have been done during supposed dealer services but obviously hadn't he phoned me to get permission to flush and service the brake system including the ABS servo etc, gave him the go ahead, when I picked her up he reckined that the brake system had been serviced just not all that recently, he seemed to think they were working off BMW's 2 year recommendation whereas normally in our climate we would service and flush our brake systems annually! Running like a dream now! Lesson learned though, either do it yourself or double check everything that's supposed to have been done!
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,209 Posts

Now that you will never work with your fuel pump interface again here is some reading about it:
http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/el...ump-controller
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Now that you will never work with your fuel pump interface again here is some reading about it:
http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/el...ump-controller

Hopefully you're right, interesting reading anyway, I've now also got the bypass kit, got that for two reasons, firstly just in case and secondly because it uses a fused SAE connector direct from the battery which I can use permanently connected to power a SAE connector which is already sitting in the top box from the PO, local auto electrics supplier for one SAE to USB adaptor and I have a third power supply now
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
Old 10-27-2017, 03:33 AM
Shooting the gap

K1200r Fuel Pump Controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW

I'm happy to read this as I have a 25Kkm K12r, '06 model.

I'm wondering though, how many K1200R owners have actually had this part fail?

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:07 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Re: K1200r Fuel Pump Controller?

Stop worrying, about shit you don't need to worry about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81

I'm wondering though, how many K1200R owners have actually had this part fail?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
Shooting the gap

I was less worried, but continued to wonder..

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:55 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Make your own bypass cable for next to? A few bucks.Toss under the seat in case the "controller" fails.

Two female butt connectors/a few feet of wire and your choice of plug to tap into 12V will get you home in case of failure.And from some GS guys may just be a permanent repair......!
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)