I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200RS/GT > "KRS/GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"KRS/GT" Technical Q&A K1200RS/GT Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

No Power to rear wheel

Good morning everyone,

I bought by '04 K1200GT about a month ago. I was riding and I started having to increase power to maintain speed. over a period of 10 minutes it got worse and worse until no amount of power would get me any speed. I took it my usual bike mechanic (not a BMW guy) and his quoting me $1K just in labor He thinks it is the clutch. I am reluctant on his opinion and would like too see what you guys think as far as diagnosing this issue and the price for labor.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:59 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Re: No Power to rear wheel

Any signs of oil coming from right side engine case near foot peg?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tward' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Re: No Power to rear wheel CLUTCH

That happened to me, but I was on a trip and kept using the motorcycle. Result: I had to buy a whole new clutch assembly for $1400 instead of just new plates at $150. Labour on top of those prices. Good Luck
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frankr' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM
ZNAM
Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,525 Posts

Welcome to i-BMW Daniel, glad you found us!

Definitely sounds like the clutch has been contaminated with oil from a leaking rear main engine seal. A common problem with the RS/GT models and well documented on this site. Two threads below, but more can be found with a search.

Rear seal replacement cost..? K1200RS

Raising Frame (to get at main seal, natch!)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,908 Times in 1,832 Posts

Here's the area tward mentioned.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Entering the on-ramp

That was quick! I appreciate the welcome. Thank you everyone for your replies, I do see a bit of oil around, but not a much as shown in the picture above. I spoke with my mechanic and he states that its a whole lot of work to get the clutch as you essentially tear open the bike. I have started to look for replacement parts for the clutch assembly, just to get some idea on the prices.

Honestly, this is the best bike I've ridden, It has similar comfort to an Ultra glide, but the maneuverability and speed of a crotch rocket. I paid $2300 bucks for the bike (42K Miles) so I'm not completely disheartened by this.

Any recommended services I should get done while the bike is cracked open?
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dnldcs' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,280 Posts

Fix the bike and enjoy it. You need to read up and get the 4x19mm Oring that is the cause of the leak. It lives by the rear main seal.

Stuff to do while in there, the list is long. Start by reading this:
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=38451
Be thinking about these items:
get a Clymer book and the CD.

flywheel bolts, main nut there too.

Crank case breather
clean and lube starter while in there
new Orings for intake tubes
New transmission seals 5 of them
Maybe new clutch slave puck
Check flatness of clutch pressure plates

new friction plate of course
Personally it is 50/50 to do the rear main engine seal
lube drive line splines
Others will chip in with their list of things they ran across. Anything that is questionable change it as the labor is huge to get there.

Now you have a great bike good for at least another 100,000 miles.

PM me if you want the Viton 4x19 oring. It is the one that will last. I'll mail you one for free. More than 1 they are $3 each.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 04:16 PM
Getting up to speed

Sure sounds like clutch/rear main. If you have a workspace and are a bit handy it can be done by a patient home mechanic. Maybe someone in your area could lend some support?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bruincounselor' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,486 Times in 3,011 Posts

Pull the belly pan off the bike and see if there is a bunch of oil collecting in it, that's another dead giveaway that the o-ring failed.

I recently had the O-ring, that seals the engine crankshaft output from the clutch area, fail. I did not suffer a loss of drive as you did. I got it repaired before the clutch failed. The repair, with parts, including a new clutch slave cylinder - which was replaced even though it had not failed, but if it did it would require the same amount of labor - was $2,500 at an independent shop that I trust. He charged for 15 hours of labor @ $86 + parts. That included a new clutch disc, a new clutch diaphragm, the $1.00 o-ring, the slave cylinder, and a bunch of other seals and parts. The mechanic found that the swing arm bearings were shot and replaced those too - $200 in parts just for that. My bike had 44,000 miles on it at the time. The repairs probably equaled the value of the bike. Yet I still really enjoy the bike after 15+ years of ownership and look forward to more miles and smiles.

At the same time the water pump - oil pump, a combined single unit failed, and I rebuilt that and the mechanic installed it as part of the process - threads on this topic here,
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=63262

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61454

It was probably something I could have done myself, but I really lacked the time to do so. It's doable, but a big job.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Shooting the gap

And when you complete those repairs get yourself a decent radar detector paired with a BT comm-unit to avoid the PO-PO and the speeding tickets!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'twinsig' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 05:51 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,677 Times in 1,280 Posts

I can send you the tools the Clymer book says to make. Then you send them back with my original postage inside.

It takes a home mechanic about 25 hours to do the job being careful and getting stuck looking for more advice.
Parts will be in the neighborhood of 700$ maybe a little more for all the small stuff but less than a grand. Pro shop that knows what they are doing it is 8 to 10 hrs labor and they don't really do as good a job as you will because it is your bike and you will go slow.
After this job your next one should be new Speigler lines and a serious brake fluid flush as talked about in the tech section here for your bike.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-08-2019, 06:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Did you buy the bike from a dealer? Or private owner? If from a dealer see if they will repair it, or at least split the cost with you.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
I can send you the tools the Clymer book says to make. Then you send them back with my original postage inside.

It takes a home mechanic about 25 hours to do the job being careful and getting stuck looking for more advice.
Parts will be in the neighborhood of 700$ maybe a little more for all the small stuff but less than a grand. Pro shop that knows what they are doing it is 8 to 10 hrs labor and they don't really do as good a job as you will because it is your bike and you will go slow.
After this job your next one should be new Speigler lines and a serious brake fluid flush as talked about in the tech section here for your bike.
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately, my current living situation doesn't allow for a working space on my motorcycle. I have comissioned my mechanic to start the work, estimated time to have the bike cracked and ready to inspect the clutch is by Wednesday.

I am already researching the parts.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Did you buy the bike from a dealer? Or private owner? If from a dealer see if they will repair it, or at least split the cost with you.

Private seller.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,119 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnldcs
Thanks for the offer, unfortunately, my current living situation doesn't allow for a working space on my motorcycle. I have comissioned my mechanic to start the work, estimated time to have the bike cracked and ready to inspect the clutch is by Wednesday.

I am already researching the parts.

Although the clutch plate (oil into it OR destroyed plate) is the most probable scenario, DO NOT make any assumptions during dismantling / inspection of ALL driveline PARTS.

There has been a few isolated cases of the same behavior / symptoms caused by either:
(1) a damaged driveshaft internal rubber cushion. In such case, the internal pressed rubbed is overheated, destroyed and will cause just enough limited friction to appear to work when moving wheel on center-stand. Any added power / force will cause it to slip internally.

See attached pictures to better understand the look of a damaged driveshaft rubber coupling compare to a good one.

(2) also a few isolated case of damaged / destroyed splines on the transmission input shaft (into clutch area where the friction plate will move / hold power)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K1200LT_Drive_shaft_rubber_failing_(on the left)_2.jpg (222.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg K1200LT_drive-shaft-SCRAP-RUBBER.jpg (60.8 KB, 15 views)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
K1200RS parts for sale here:
http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...500&ppuser=144
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Although the clutch plate (oil into it OR destroyed plate) is the most probable scenario, DO NOT make any assumptions during dismantling / inspection of ALL driveline PARTS.

There has been a few isolated cases of the same behavior / symptoms caused by either:
(1) a damaged driveshaft internal rubber cushion. In such case, the internal pressed rubbed is overheated, destroyed and will cause just enough limited friction to appear to work when moving wheel on center-stand. Any added power / force will cause it to slip internally.

See attached pictures to better understand the look of a damaged driveshaft rubber coupling compare to a good one.

(2) also a few isolated case of damaged / destroyed splines on the transmission input shaft (into clutch area where the friction plate will move / hold power)

Definitely not making any presumptions! Since we are having to do a full tear down, might as well check everything since I'm paying the labor. We are going to check everything from front to back and top to bottom; check every spindle, o-ring, and seal while we are at it.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:

No1 stinks like burnt rubber.That's judging from the GS side of things where it does happen with some regularity.

No2 makes a heck of a rattle before the clutch splines totally disappear.Mine were very pointy a couple years ago.A few more shifts and would have been bye bye clutch.

New complete clutch packs? I hate to post links,some lurker always swipes them first but there you go,only one left there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-Kuppl...AAAOSwAF5UY5hH

But looking around at kupplungs on fleabay,I also found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stahlflexle...QAAOSwd0pcPdhx

BUT.....I bought mine there and of course didn't pay Vat.He lists more than 10 available:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-K-1200-R...wAAOSw0RlbxCpj
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
No1 stinks like burnt rubber.That's judging from the GS side of things where it does happen with some regularity.

No2 makes a heck of a rattle before the clutch splines totally disappear.Mine were very pointy a couple years ago.A few more shifts and would have been bye bye clutch.

New complete clutch packs? I hate to post links,some lurker always swipes them first but there you go,only one left there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SACHS-Kuppl...AAAOSwAF5UY5hH

But looking around at kupplungs on fleabay,I also found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stahlflexle...QAAOSwd0pcPdhx

BUT.....I bought mine there and of course didn't pay Vat.He lists more than 10 available:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-K-1200-R...wAAOSw0RlbxCpj

Those prices aren't bad at all! I haven't seen complete sets like that, and priced separately are running over 1k from the US. That shipping time is not very favorable though.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Those prices aren't bad at all! I haven't seen complete sets like that, and priced separately are running over 1k from the US. That shipping time is not very favorable though.

Time is $$$$.DHL shipping was rather quick even living in the boonies,got my parts in less than 2 weeks.Went from DHL to Canada Post so that slowed them.Shipping to a DHL pickup point would have sped that up a lot but closest is +100 miles from here.

BTW....you can deal directly with TTMoto.Link to his website is on fleabay?No fleabay surcharge added on his site so saves another $20.00?Sign in as a customer and Vat is automatically deducted and I think that he also offers express shiping via DHL.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'pbegin@burton' for this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:

Almost all of these clutch-pack parts are made by SACHS in Germany - they are the supplier to BMW. BMW only put them in their own boxes and sells these more $$$ or Euros...

Hence, you can find many source in Europe buying from SACHS and selling indivual parts or kit at affordable prices (relatively speaking...).

Two (2) very good reliable source that I have used many times with fairly quick shipping to USA / CANADA are:
1) MotorWorks in UK: they sell new and used BMW parts
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S....php?T=1&NU=15

2) Moto-Bins in UK
https://www.motobins.co.uk/

For clutch parts, MotorWorks is generally a bit cheaper than Moto-Bins. For all the rest , they are pretty close and always cheaper than dealer prices in USA (even with money exchange plus shpping). HOWEVER, they keep ONLY the fast moving stuff (common wear parts) and will not show every possible BMW part number.

For K1200RS/GT, most clutch parts can be found here on MotorWorks web site:
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_45_CA_30

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_45_CA_70
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Almost all of these clutch-pack parts are made by SACHS in Germany - they are the supplier to BMW. BMW only put them in their own boxes and sells these more...

Hence, you can find many source in Europe buying from SACHS and selling indivual parts or kit at affordable prices (relatively speaking...).

Two (2) very good reliable source that I have used many times with fairly quick shipping to USA / CANADA are:
1) MotorWorks in UK: they sell new and used BMW parts
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S....php?T=1&NU=15

2) Moto-Bins in UK
https://www.motobins.co.uk/

For clutch parts, MotorWorks is generally a bit cheaper than Moto-Bins. For all the rest , they are pretty close and always cheaper than dealer prices in USA (even with money exchange plus shpping). HOWEVER, they keep ONLY the fast moving stuff (common wear parts) and will not show every possible BMW part number.

For K1200RS/GT, most clutch parts can be found here on MotorWorks web site:
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_45_CA_30

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/S...BA_15_45_CA_70

Amazing Source!!! Way better prices, and multiple options for the clutch plate. I rather buy a high quality plate and not worry about it for a while.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:55 PM
K1200RS doctor

Quote:
Amazing Source!!! Way better prices, and multiple options for the clutch plate. I rather buy a high quality plate and not worry about it for a while.

You do not absolutely need to buy a more expensive after-market clutch friction disc. BY FAR, the most important is to have someone competent and meticulous do the inspection / rebuilt process to achieve lasting results.

History of many clutch jobs here on forums (for last 15 years) has shown that the std friction plate by SACHS (as sold in BMW box) is OK for street usage. On the Boxer R1200GS or R1150GS doing a lot off-road it is a very different story (too much slipping and heat will destroy these faster than a more common wet clutch).

On a K1200RS, unless clutch is abused by rider, 95% of issue are related to to other causes. Unless a leak is present, the std friction plate can last 100,000 to 150,000 miles. Mine had only 1/3 of material gone at 55,000 miles (had oil leak into clutch late 2007).

Any Oil Leak into clutch dry cavity will cause slipping - oil leaks are from either:

1) leaking O-ring from engine output shaft (shaft holding clutch basket)

2) leaking Main Seal from engine output shaft (shaft holding clutch basket)

3) damaged bearing AND/OR leak from clutch slave actuator. Result is DOT4 fluid into recess where a transmission is located. This will have a domino effect to damage this seal and bring transmission oil into clutch cavity

4) leaking transmission oil into clutch cavity - damaged seal from transmission input shaft (shaft where the clutch disk splines will grab)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'sailor' for this post:
Old 02-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Site Contributor

As Sailor mentioned, I also experienced the drive shaft failure years ago when I had an RS.
After the bike cooled down, I could actually move it under engine power until the now "liquified" rubber again heated up. That happened very quickly but was very dramatic. At the time there were no drive shafts available so I got a used one from Beemer Bonyard. A lot less $$ than the clutch. Either way, I agree to get it fixed!

Jim
Old 02-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Good luck with that😂
Old 02-14-2019, 10:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Update

Mechanic is almost done opening her up. Looks like the drive shaft is fine, as others mentioned that might be the issue. Clutch should be visible today, will post pics if possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0769.jpeg (981.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0772.jpeg (876.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0773.jpeg (913.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0775.jpeg (861.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0770.jpeg (856.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0771.jpeg (696.3 KB, 27 views)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dnldcs' for this post:
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Alright boys and girls, here is the down and dirty...I got screwed on the buy, clutch seems to have almost to the point of failure when I got it. Here are some pics of the clutch. No oil to be seen anywhere. Parts ordered from Motoworks instead of Motobins, they were cheaper by about 54 GBP, so 70 bucks give or take, all in all not bad on the price, saved me roughly 50% or 316 bucks WITH shipping from across the pond. Parts should be here by next Monday, so I think I'll be back on the road in 2 weeks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0785.jpeg (688.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0784.jpeg (552.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0783.jpeg (672.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

Be sure to replace that rear seal while they are in there.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'tward' for this post:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:57 AM
Shooting the gap

Look's like things have been quite hot, all that blued steel.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Blue? Them spring(?) things are like that from the factory.Pics of the plates?Could be a mi$take replacing the friction disk only if the metal plates are dished in.

Pics of the metal plates?
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
Old 02-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Blue? Them spring(?) things are like that from the factory.Pics of the plates?Could be a mi$take replacing the friction disk only if the metal plates are dished in.

Pics of the metal plates?

Replacing the whole clutch.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

All fixed up! She is back on the road and in better condition than when i bought her. BTW for the 1K labor, my mechanic did the clutch replacement but also 1. engine oil change 2. Transmission oil chnage 3. Flushed the Clutch lines 4. Flushed the brake lines, and 5. full detail on the bike. All in all, not a bad deal I think.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'dnldcs' for this post:
Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to mondrage

Quote:
All fixed up! She is back on the road and in better condition than when i bought her. BTW for the 1K labor, my mechanic did the clutch replacement but also 1. engine oil change 2. Transmission oil chnage 3. Flushed the Clutch lines 4. Flushed the brake lines, and 5. full detail on the bike. All in all, not a bad deal I think.

Id say you did pretty well. No other damage to take care of.
I have a LT. same bike really, with more fairing.
I have to push myself one of these days to lube the splines.

A GT is in my list of bikes Id love to have.
Do enjoy.
Ill be riding my LT today.
BMW R1200GS 2008
BMW K1200S 2007
Suzuki DR-Z400E 2000 (SOLD - rebought), Honda CB550Four 1978 (SOLD)
BMW R1200R 2009 (in my stable, thinking about it...)
-----------------------------------------------------