I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Getting up to speed

sidecase unlock trouble?

On two occasions now, I've not been able to open side case........until multiple trys; and pulling on the outside side case to open. Another GT rider had to try and dissassemble the side case by removing torx from hinges..........finally got open. Any others having trouble, even occasional with these rear bags? Note: after key inserted and turned, the "lever" flips up, but when lifting lever any further .......no results....????
Old 04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Site Contributor

Re: sidecase unlock trouble?

The only "problem" I've experienced is when the sidecase is overpacked, and I don't consider that a problem. In that case, I push inward on the case lid with my legs to relieve the pressure on the latch as I'm lifting the lever to unlock the case.

Rusty
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Idling

A problem I have noticed is that when I close the case at altitude, 4000' and try and open it when I get down to a lower elevation, the vacuum holds it. It is sealed so tightly that the difference in altitude keeps that vacuum. I have contemplated drilling a hole somewhere, but of course that is going to let in other unwanted things like water and dust.
San Luis Obispo, CA
Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
I have cotemplated drilling a hole somewhere, but of course that is going to let in other unwanted things like water and dust.
If you drill the hole where it's not noticeable, like on the bottom or back of the inner portion of the sidecase, you could pop-rivet, screw or glue a rubber flap over the hole on the inside of the case to act as a check valve to keep the dust and water out but still allow it to draw enough air into the case to break the vacuum. I'm frankly surprised that it seals that well!

Rusty
Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Idling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
If you drill the hole where it's not noticeable, like on the bottom or back of the inner portion of the sidecase, you could pop-rivet, screw or glue a rubber flap over the hole on the inside of the case to act as a check valve to keep the dust and water out but still allow it to draw enough air into the case to break the vacuum. I'm frankly surprised that it seals that well!

Rusty
I was surprised too that it sealed so well. I even had one side case replaced that had a scratch when I took delivery and it seals that way too. It took me the second trip up the mountains for it to register what the problem was and that vacuum sucks!!
I'll think some more about drilling that hole.
San Luis Obispo, CA
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
I'm frankly surprised that it seals that well!
Looking at my own new GT, I am convinced that sealing this well is impossible. There must be another explanation.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Getting up to speed

My riding didn't inlclude altitude, so it might be the overstuffing....although I didn't have too much in the inner bag the bag takes up some room and I may have caught some of the material when closing.......I'll check and if it happens again, I'll try pushing on the side case to relieve any pressure on the locking mechanism........reminds me of auto steering wheel locks that sometimes require turning the steering wheel to relieve pressure.....Thanks
ll
Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Shooting the gap

Hey BrianF~
I've had the same problem on a few occaisions with the right (passenger side bag) The odd thing was that the bag wasn't overstuffed, in fact it was practically empty. I tried pushing in on the case, thinking it might be hanging up on the latch mechanism, no luck. I tried locking and unlocking, putting the bike on the centerstand (thinking the lean angle while on the sidestand was causing the problem), still stuck. Eventually it opened but there was nothing I had done differently than the previous tries. I even had the dealer check it while it was in for service and they couldn't get it to fail. It hasn't happened since then, but I also haven't had the bags on the bike for a couple months. The problem may still be there.
Let us know if you find a fix or not!
Gary
Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianF
My riding didn't inlclude altitude, so it might be the overstuffing....although I didn't have too much in the inner bag the bag takes up some room and I may have caught some of the material when closing.......I'll check and if it happens again, I'll try pushing on the side case to relieve any pressure on the locking mechanism........reminds me of auto steering wheel locks that sometimes require turning the steering wheel to relieve pressure.....Thanks
ll

If you try and close the handle with the case locked it will bend that brightly painted red latch which makes it difficult to open. Don't ask how I know......

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-K' for this post:
Old 04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Brian,

Don't know if this is your problem, but mine were flat- out defective from the factory and an early '07 built in Sept., '06.

No matter how hard you tried the latches just wouldn't open. Don't know how many of these were made, but the mechanisms to open the cases were warped somehow.

By the time I got them to the dealer's they had already seen enough of them to just order new ones (the inside, black part containing the latch and lock mechanisms) from BMW.

They've worked fine since.

Another problem is missing "c" (circ) clips, 4 of them holding the handles in place. One of the four on mine popped out and is gone forever, pin that holds the handle now in place with a piece of duck tape. Some dealers have the clips, others are replacing the whole case!

Miles
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks more...I'll check the clips and ask my service tech if he has seen and had to remedy....I've got two guys that will tell me....without filters from BMW......
Old 10-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I just had my left case fail today. It appears the front latch isn't releasing. It's a first for me. I have medication and my GoPro in there. I am lost as what to do..
Old 10-31-2016, 10:03 PM
interacting

I had the same problem over the years. Some Wd 40 solved it. With me it was a lube problem.
**** ************************************************************ ***************MdMn**********
Old 10-31-2016, 11:29 PM
Getting up to speed

I had mine apart today and did just that. It appears the front two catches are not moving far enough. We shall see later today. BMW did not simply build a case.