I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Twisted Wrister

Akrapovic Real Power

I was considering installing the Akra full system. I reviewed the technical information on their website and discovered that the horsepower gain generated by going from the Akrapovic slip on I have now to the full system with the carbon fiber silencer is a relatively minor gain in torque (98.1 lb-ft / 8300 RPM) shifted to a higher RPM (98.5 lb-ft / 8600 RPM). Horse power is just a mathematical function of torque. I don't see the small gain in power and the minor reduction of weight as being worth the money. A damaged system that has to be replaced would be the only cost effective change I could envision.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts

Re: Akrapovic Real Power

The bike has enough power. You don’t need this. Now wanting is another story.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks for sharing this information Walt.

So maybe this implies the OEM Header/Collector section is very well designed?

Surely 0.4 Ft/Lbs (0.4% of Torque) over 300 RPM (2.7 % of Redline) could be considered as being within the margin of error for Dyno measuring instruments as well?

Yep...not much bang for the buck.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'R111S' for this post:
Old 04-05-2018, 08:46 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

You would gain more from lightweight wheels than than the exhaust system would give you.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 AM
Shooting the gap

There is more than just peak changes that the Akrapovic system will give you. The slip on is really just sound and looks no meaningful performance increase. The full evolution race system is an entirely different story. The sound is amazing and at WOT mid to upper RPMs it revs faster and harder. But you need a tune to make it behave properly as it causes some hiccups and rough transitions at lower speeds a rpms. I have one on my bike and will be getting a brentune shortly. That will also eliminate the restriction in the first 3 gears bmw hobbles the bike with.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cstumpf750' for this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 02:01 AM
Twisted Wrister

I assume that Akrapovic put their best information on their own website. Fast reving would be reflected by a steeper torque curve beginning at lower RPM. The curve is almost overlapping early with no significant gain in power and begins drop off around 9000 RPM. I won't pay nearly $1500 for a better (louder?) sound and by the charts, marginal gains. The website implies that no tuning or plug heat range change is required by the absence of remarks on the dyno graphs. PC and remap will make the investment near $2000 for only marginal power increase. It would be interesting to run a cycle with a full Akrapovic system, 200 pound rider, and full fuel against a stock cycle with a 150 rider and 1/4 fuel on a straight run. Additionally, one doesn't have to explain anything to the dealer's mechanics. Everyone has different priorities and tastes. I just cannot see enough change for the expense involved.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:54 AM
Shooting the gap

To each his own. I got mine for about $1100 shipped to my door due to a very favorable exchange rate between US and UK from BMW Motorrad UK. It looks so much better than the stock pipe and sounds amazing. I haven’t tested it yet, but others have reported it will pull hard into the rev limiter in 6th gear with the full Akrapovic system. It also drops a good chunk of weight off the bike which is surprisingly noticeable. I am considering cutting the valve out of my old system and sectioning it into the Akrapovic to make it quieter around town. But I’m happy with it regardless.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Speed Demon

Threads like this aftermarket wheels blah blah more a reflection of folks bank balance than anything technical where’s the financial logic in buying a K in the first place plus of course the most important factor ‘No point in dieing rich’
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 04-06-2018, 07:42 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
... Horse power is just a mathematical function of torque.....
Wow, somebody else gets it! I feel so good now.

Go with the full system if it adds smiles to the day. We have a Remus slip-on on our S and I run with the baffle in for more mid-range because we're two-up. I love the sound and the look, and that's what modifying a street bike should be about. Do you like it? If yes then go for it.

p.s. There is no such thing as too much hp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts

On these bikes, yes! That's exactly what I tell customers who are on the fence between going with a full system and a slip-on... Perhaps a rider of Valentino Rossi's caliber could tell the power gain difference of a full system over a slip.. Most of us mere mortals can not.

I suggest that they buy a slip-on... then take the extra money and take track day classes like CSS.. or take the wife to Cancun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R111S
So maybe this implies the OEM Header/Collector section is very well designed?.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
I haven’t tested it yet, but others have reported it will pull hard into the rev limiter in 6th gear with the full Akrapovic system

LOL..if it is on the internet it must be true! JK!

but really, how many folks will ever have a opportunity or need to actually test this theory (or have a road to do it on)?
09 K1300s
Old 04-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstumpf750
To each his own.
Exactly. And I agree.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

as far as performance and how the bike and engine change, its impossible for somebody who has not owned or ridden a K1300S/R with a full system to comment. You cannot guess how it will change the bike from numbers and figures.
Bolt on with no remapping, it transforms the motor, gives noticably more power, makes gear changes smoother, changes which gear you ride in, and I felt it improved engine braking.
Yes they are expensive, but, i scored a full system for $499.. (about $370USD) and was privilaged enough to experience the difference, theres no way i would have forked out the $1800 for a full system, but after experiencing it, any bike in the future will have one.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Twisted Wrister

There are no testimonials by experienced or professional riders nor testing on an actual cycle on the Akra website. Professional race teams in various motorsports live and die by dyno data. If you are happy, then I am happy for you.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
There are no testimonials by experienced or professional riders nor testing on an actual cycle on the Akra website. Professional race teams in various motorsports live and die by dyno data. If you are happy, then I am happy for you.

Closest thing to "our" bikes that are racing, would be super-bikes.
Last time I looked, most were wearing Akrapovic or LeoVince, to name two.
I'd guess, the main reason for change (for them) is weight, not HP or torque.
But, if you are happy not to spend the money, then I'm happy for you.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Or, take 10lbs off the rider for the best bang/buck in terms of hp per lb.
1996 Ducati 900SS
1987 911 Carrera Targa
Old 04-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Shooting the gap

You only have to compare the Akra headers to the stock ones (half squashed tubes and dodgy bends) to know that they work more efficiently in moving those toxic global warming gasses. I'll agree with what Mat said.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
Threads like this aftermarket wheels blah blah more a reflection of folks bank balance than anything technical where’s the financial logic in buying a K in the first place plus of course the most important factor ‘No point in dieing rich’

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Wheels quite possibly made the biggest difference in handling for my k bike. And I did it all before I binned it...

Is it cost effective, maybe not, but it is hardly useless unless you ride like a ...

Aftermarket headers not effective or cost effective, agreed.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Aftermarket headers not effective or cost effective, agreed.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

A full exhaust system quite possibly made the biggest difference in engine performance for my k bike.
Have you ridden a K bike with a full exhaust system?

Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Disagree wholeheartedly.

A full exhaust system quite possibly made the biggest difference in engine performance for my k bike.
Have you ridden a K bike with a full exhaust system?

Yes, I had an akrapovic full system.

I think getting rid of the huge muffler and cat made a bigger difference than the headers did.

But as far as engine performance, getting the bike mapped properly to get rid of the original huge lean hole of the early K12r and s bikes made the biggest difference power-wise.
Then shimming the throttle stop stepper motor.
Then removing the restrictive snorkels and adding the second air filter on the original k12r.
I even removed the counterbalancers. Man that was interesting. The bike rev'd like a 2 stroke.

I wanted to make a trackbike out of the big K. I failed in the end...

As far as handling, admittedly, the most cost effective were some riser plates to raise the rear. But man those wheels were a game changer as well.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:32 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Yes, I had an akrapovic full system.

I think getting rid of the huge muffler and cat made a bigger difference than the headers did.

But as far as engine performance, getting the bike mapped properly to get rid of the original huge lean hole of the early K12r and s bikes made the biggest difference power-wise.
Then shimming the throttle stop stepper motor.
Then removing the restrictive snorkels and adding the second air filter on the original k12r.
I even removed the counterbalancers. Man that was interesting. The bike rev'd like a 2 stroke.

I wanted to make a trackbike out of the big K. I failed in the end...

As far as handling, admittedly, the most cost effective were some riser plates to raise the rear. But man those wheels were a game changer as well.

yes.... we are talking about K1300, not K1200.
Very different beasties.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Twisted Wrister

As a semi-related comment, according to the Revzilla website, Akrapovic has discontinued the replacement carbon fiber heat shields for the slip-on muffler for the K1300S/R. I don't know if the production of the shield has been reduced to one shield per muffler produced or if this is the precursor to the discontinuation of the slip-on muffler. Seems like the availability of quality aftermarket parts is beginning to decline. Soon we will all be ordering parts from Beech, Inc.