I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Twisted Wrister

H-D cutting jobs, closing a US plant and expanding over seas..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...6bK?li=BBnbfcN
Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Re: H-D cutting jobs, closing a US plant and expanding over seas..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy

"Itís a pattern thatís played out over and over since the tax cuts passed ó companies profit, shareholders reap the benefits, and workers get left out."

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,402 Times in 2,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
"Itís a pattern thatís played out over and over since the tax cuts passed ó companies profit, shareholders reap the benefits, and workers get left out."

Because workers don't become shareholders?

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...Ē
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Tallahassee
"It’s a pattern that’s played out over and over since the tax cuts passed — companies profit, shareholders reap the benefits, and workers get left out."
Pete,

I know that you and I don't see eye to eye on most things political, but if you think that Harley is closing a plant due to the tax cuts, I gotta think that you are something.

I'm going with the fact that their core group of enthusiasts are slowly dying off and the younger generation aren't buying cars let alone motorcycles.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'MattB' for this post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Site Contributor

The market is fluided with good used ones....much cheaper...starting to be that way with BMW....if you want one...cheap... I canít see spending 25K on a new bike when you can get a used one with low miles for 7K or less.... with extras....
Old 05-22-2018, 08:59 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB
Pete,

I know that you and I don't see eye to eye on most things political, but if you think that Harley is closing a plant due to the tax cuts, I gotta think that you are something.

I'm going with the fact that their core group of enthusiasts are slowly dying off and the younger generation aren't buying cars let alone motorcycles.

That's a quote from the article.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,168 Posts

HD back in the late 80's came out with the Evolution engine right at a time when buy American was huge.

Factor in all the baby boomers that had grown up wanting an HD but for many reasons could not get one.

Then they grew up had money and wanted one and could not get one. The more they were told they could not get one the more they wanted one.

HD was struggling to meet the demand, their dealers many whom had been long time dealers that had struggled for years to make a living were now all becoming wealthy. The American dream in full force.

The motor company had come back from near death and they were closing in on their 100th year anniversary and having one of the best marketing teams in the nation exploited all of this.

The 12 partners that bought HD back from AMF had pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in American history.

The company was doing everything it could to build more and more motorcycles before the iconic 100th year in business (2003) arrived.

They knew they could ride this wave for sure up to the 100th anniversary so they expanded opened the Kansas City plant in 1999.

During these years engineering got better at changing the bikes just enough to keep up with the federal regs and not lose the traditional customer.

Then 2003 came and went baby boomers came and went and 10's of thousands of used HD's were now for sale.

Sure the sales are down they will need to figure out future demand they don't need the Kansas plant and it will be no surprise even when they get the correct production numbers under control they let demand build a little.

HD made so much money from the mid eighties until the mid 2010's they will survive for a long time.

They may not have another run like they just had but HD if you check into it's history has had many struggles and be it brilliant business decisions or luck and circumstances they will figure it
out.

As a man who was born in the late 50's and grew up seeing all these amazing American iconic companies thrive and provide so many products I've wanted and owned I for one hope HD makes it to their 200th anniversary.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 PM
Shooting the gap

HDs greatest invention was the 700cc Japanese sport bike. The 750cc and over tariff was harsh but I dont think it was in place too long. Does anyone recall buying bikes in the US at the time and having the tariff entice them into buying an HD?
Who was the trade enemy then? Japan iirc. Oh well all the good bits are Japanese designed and made in china now.