I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

DDC Recalibration Back To Stock Settings

I am a new member and am looking for help with my DDC system. Last month I bought a 2018 S1000R. After putting on 1000 miles I thought it would be a good idea to have my Sag setup done. I took it to a suspension shop (who told me they have set up BMW bikes with DDC) and had my Sag set. Unfortunately they really did not have any experience in working with electronic suspensions and I did not take the time to read the manual. They tried to set the Sag without having the engine on and in Rain mode. Hence, the bike did not feel right at all after they set the Sag. So, after reading the manual, we set the sag correctly, yet the bike still did not feel right. It was as if the DDC was off, or not working. There was not difference between Dynamic and Road settings. I took it back to BMW and they recalibrated the bike but did not adjust the front and rear preload back to their original positions.

My questions are:
Does anyone know what the factory preload settings should be? I believe they come from the factory set all the way out (counter clockwise to the very left) in front and rear.

Would there be any reason, after I get the factory preload settings and the DDC gets recalibrated, that the DDC would NOT respond like it did when I bought the bike new? My goal is to have the bike back to feeling exactly like it was when I bought it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 AM
Twisted Wrister

Re: DDC Recalibration Back To Stock Settings

You're right, the bike as delivered is usually set to the lowest preload. The setting you'll need is dependent on your weight and riding style. As far as original settings, you can "reset" the DDC in the setup menu, just scroll past "calib", it's the next one.
If the shop really did try to change the sag with the bike off, they may have damaged something, perhaps that's the odd feeling you have?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'skapan' for this post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:31 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks Skapan. The BMW dealership I took my bike to said that they don't think any damage was done, however there is no way to be sure, and thats really a problem. I am hoping that after this next recalibration (with the preload all the way out front and back) that the bike feels like it did when I bought it. I wish I knew a knowledgable BMW mechanic who knows the system to check it out. My appointment is next Friday and Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Twisted Wrister

There was an issue at one time with the link to the potentiometer for the rear shock coming loose or falling off, make sure it's firmly connected.
The preload adjuster for the rear shock can also be broken, you'll know if you keep turning it and nothing happens. Good news is that it's covered by warranty.