I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Welcome to i-bmw! > Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Intro Yourself to I-BMW.com Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a pic of you and your bike (optional)!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Honest feedback needed

I had to give up motorcycle for a couple of years due to the loss of 1 of my kidney. I have owned in the past anything from Harley's (hated) to multiple Ducati's. I am jumpng back in in the next month and through all those bikes I was always intrigued by the K1300 but was always afraid of the seating position but always felt good in the showroom. My mission: i am not a super slab warrior but rather i have The Dragon and 6 gap im the Blueridge and Appalatian mountains nearby. So only on the highway for about 30 minutes. I would love some feedback on the comfort on semi long trips. I will usually ride about 150 total in a day. I prefer winter riding as there is less kids out there going nuts om their Nimja's etc. the heated grips will be great. I am looking for the 15 HP edition as I love the BMW "M" theme paint job. I drive an M so like it alot. I appreciate any feedback good or bad. I am 48 ,6 feet and slightly chubby at 225lbs

Jim
Old 07-04-2018, 11:21 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,826 Times in 2,818 Posts

Re: Honest feedback needed

Welcome to the site Jim! Since this is your first post I've moved your thread to the "Intro" forum.

As to the bike, you'll love it, it may take you a bit of time to get comfortable on the bike as it will put a bit of strain on your shoulder and back muscles, so remember, Ibuprofen is your friend! Let us know how it works out for you!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,575 Times in 807 Posts

Hi Jim,
You'll have no problem on 150 mile days, especially if it's different types of riding. I'm 59, 5' 10, 185. The only thing that gets me is long stretches of slab. My joints just get a little stiff from being in the same position for so long. For me, the K13 shines on sweepers and semi tight stuff and if you get a small straight stretch and need to pass it's awesome. For the really tight stuff the wheel base may be a little long but that doesn't mean you can't have fun with it. It's a really versatile bike.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capnrip' for this post:
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi Jim, welcome back to riding, and the site! I think you'll love the K1300.....I'm fat, and old, body worn out from mining, and I still can put in 200 to 300 miles without much trouble. You will love the power these babies have, and they handle well too. Get one soon, as they (Dumbasses), quit making 'em!! Good Luck!

Orson
Old 07-05-2018, 06:19 AM
Speed Demon

The KS as others have already stated is a easy bike to ride for 300+ miles and still be pretty comfortable. With that said it may take several hundred miles of riding for your body to adjust to the riding position.

If you don't mind traveling a little Bob's BMW, Hermys, and Cross Country BMW all have 2014 and newer low mileage K13S's in stock. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 07-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Certified Hooligan

Welcome Jim, just dive into the madness here.
No, Ibuprofen is not your friend, dont touch it. Ask your nephrologist.
2011 DR650
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,431 Times in 3,151 Posts

Jim:

Welcome to the site. I really can't add to what others have said. The K1300 is an awesome motorcycle.

I have owned a K1200S and 2 K1300S's. For a sport touring machine there really is nothing better.

Certainly there are other brands that perform fantastic as well but the BMW as a total package fit and finish and performance is really hard to beat.

Now that the K1300 is no longer in the lineup you will be able to find one in great shape with low mileage for a very nice savings compared to what they sold for new.

Do yourself a favor get a radar detector first thing - these bikes for some reason always seem to run way over the speed limits.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:26 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,158 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Jim:

Welcome to the site. I really can't add to what others ...

Do yourself a favor get a radar detector first thing - these bikes for some reason always seem to run way over the speed limits..

Poor wrist management???

Welcome to I-bmw Jim

Best site there is!

Cheers

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,279 Times in 2,159 Posts

Welcome, Jim!

Each rider will have their own thoughts regarding fit and comfort of the K13S. For me, the comfort diminished quite a bit over a few years. When I first bought one in '08, I could ride all day and 1000 miles (it was a long day but the problem was fatigue, not discomfort). By '16, my knees had gotten to the point that a 300-mile day was out of the question.

There are some modifications that I could have done to help alleviate the discomfort, but I chose to move on to another bike. In your case, with the close proximity of great roads, I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to fit on the K13S for a good day of riding.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Welcome!
I have a 2008 k12gt and love it, to this day. I know it’s quirks and know what could go wrong with it. It has the power I need along with the attitude. I test rode some of the newer bikes BMW have and they don’t seem to have the “punk” that the slanted 4’s have.

You should with out a doubt grab one and go
Old 07-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

Don't know how old you are, but 150 miles a day is not much. That's less than a tank of gas. You can ride a rice rocket that far with no problems, even wirh one kidney. Lots of BMW bikes out there that would make you a proud rider.
I have a 2004 1200 GT and it just loves the mountains and a great canyon carver which is great in your area.
Best of luck with your choice. You have many options.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,261 Times in 560 Posts

Jim

Welcome to the site. I'm 17 years older than you and have no problem with 500+ mile days on my K13S.
BMW R90S
Old 07-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Getting up to speed

Jim, I'll simply echo the above thoughts with one caveat yet mentioned. You mentioned the "Dragon" and it made me wonder just how important that type of riding is to you. The K13 is a fantastic bike ( I actually owned a MS edition), however, the bike has a rather longish wheelbase so it will serve you better on long sweepers ( think Cherohalla) as opposed to the quick switchbacks of the Dragon for example. Now this is not to say the bike is a pig, far from it, but it does have some handling areas that are better than others. Just trying to cover all of the bases for you...after all you did say "honest".

Good luck--ride safely!!

Ken
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MoRider' for this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
Don't know how old you are, but 150 miles a day is not much. That's less than a tank of gas. You can ride a rice rocket that far with no problems, even wirh one kidney. Lots of BMW bikes out there that would make you a proud rider.
I have a 2004 1200 GT and it just loves the mountains and a great canyon carver which is great in your area.
Best of luck with your choice. You have many options.

150 miles a day is a lot if they are all twisties, like the dragon. The OP has twisties pretty much start to finish.

And I have to disagree. The GT is not a canyon carver when compared to a short wheel based bike. A Hypermotard or true sport bike is a canyon carver.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

Joe, you are right, 150 miles of twisties is a long ride. Been away from the mountain twisties to long. A GT will not keep up with with the bikes you referred to, but it holds it own and a nice ride to get to the fun stuff. Where is the OP?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rip' for this post:
Old 07-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
Joe, you are right, 150 miles of twisties is a long ride. Been away from the mountain twisties to long. A GT will not keep up with with the bikes you referred to, but it holds it own and a nice ride to get to the fun stuff. Where is the OP?
North Georgia. Potently of great roads from extreme twisties to sweepers and everything else. The GT gets you there and back in style and comfort and isn't too shabby while there either!

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 07-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolj4311
I had to give up motorcycle for a couple of years due to the loss of 1 of my kidney. I have owned in the past anything from Harley's (hated) to multiple Ducati's. I am jumpng back in in the next month and through all those bikes I was always intrigued by the K1300 but was always afraid of the seating position but always felt good in the showroom. My mission: i am not a super slab warrior but rather i have The Dragon and 6 gap im the Blueridge and Appalatian mountains nearby. So only on the highway for about 30 minutes. I would love some feedback on the comfort on semi long trips. I will usually ride about 150 total in a day. I prefer winter riding as there is less kids out there going nuts om their Nimja's etc. the heated grips will be great. I am looking for the 15 HP edition as I love the BMW "M" theme paint job. I drive an M so like it alot. I appreciate any feedback good or bad. I am 48 ,6 feet and slightly chubby at 225lbs

Jim

I'm a bit close to your weight - 210lbs without clothes. I ride a 2016 K1300s MS with tank bag always on, and (usually empty) saddlebags. Added a centerstand and luggage grid. So maybe my bike and I weight about what you would without the tank bag.

I've ridden your area, including the gap, on a borrowed Suzuki 650 twin. I had a client at Tallulah Falls who had me come in to work there a couple of times. Rode with him and his buddy on some Aprilia I think. in northern GA, southern SC and a bit of Tenn.

As long as you're not trying to corner carve to the extreme on those roads (get a RR...), I think the k1300s would be nearly perfect. The 150 mile distance is right on. (I get tired on my before the 250 mile mark, but then I'm old). The wheelbase is a bit long for those tight curves, but the K will just love them if the speed limit is over 15mph on them.

You'll want some kind of luggage. The naked K1300s doesn't have much more room than to carry a wallet under the seat.